AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-03-19, 12:27   Link #1
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Fedora wont install

Ok this is the first time i am trying to use linux, and i would like to install Fedora(sponcerd by redhat or somethin) anyways i go through the install prettu much fine untill there is 10 min left and it sort of freezes there... My theary i think is that there may be not enough hard disk space since im installing it on a 2 gb drive (dont laugh im installing it on my testing comp) anyways the other specs are that its a p1 166mHz somethin like 32 mb ram 16x cd drive, no floppy 16 mb 3d banchee or somethin... please help because i really want to install this and i dont want to download fedora again or any other linux os unless i have to.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 12:38   Link #2
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Ok this is the first time i am trying to use linux, and i would like to install Fedora(sponcerd by redhat or somethin) anyways i go through the install prettu much fine untill there is 10 min left and it sort of freezes there... My theary i think is that there may be not enough hard disk space since im installing it on a 2 gb drive (dont laugh im installing it on my testing comp) anyways the other specs are that its a p1 166mHz somethin like 32 mb ram 16x cd drive, no floppy 16 mb 3d banchee or somethin... please help because i really want to install this and i dont want to download fedora again or any other linux os unless i have to.
I would have suggested buying a few ISOs from retailers. For example, http://www.linuxcentral.com/ has isos of knoppix, debian, and others at reasonable prices. (Reasonable in that it's worth having an actual cd, and you're not wasting bandwidth)
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 12:52   Link #3
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

well i would prefere not to buy anything right now because i just want to test it out, i have fedora core 1 all the cd's already downloaded and burned, i would like to get fedora working first before i go to other versions of linux.
Old 2004-03-19, 13:45   Link #4
Nevion
/dev/random

fedora is much too large to install there.... I said it before and I said it agian, install vector. Its only 1 cd and 236 megs or so. Be aware your not getting bells and whilstles. If you want to add in more(gui stuff), play with dropline-gnome later. Either way, atleast you'll have lots of disk space left from vector as apposed to redhat and all the server stuff you need (if you just want it for that) right after vector installs.

if your dead set on it, just choose a selective install and be choosy as hell, leave out xfree86,gnome,gtk, qt, and kde.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 13:52   Link #5
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

This sounds terribly like a problem I had with all Redhats starting at version 8 (including the new Fedora) on one of my computers when using CDs.

The problem seems to be that for some reason it doesn't recognize the need to change to the next CD.

The only way I found around this problem is to avoid the need to change the media:
  • install using FTP/NFS/HDD
  • install from a DVD
  • do a minimal install (everything you need is hopefully on the first CD) and install the rest later. I am not sure this method works anymore now, the last time I tried was with RH 8 (and it did work back then).
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 14:35   Link #6
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

well thanks i guess i need to find a more sutible comp for testing, or buy a bigger hard drive. unfortunatly im stuck on installing fadora, anyways thx for the help guys.
Old 2004-03-19, 23:44   Link #7
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
Quote:
well thanks i guess i need to find a more sutible comp for testing, or buy a bigger hard drive. unfortunatly im stuck on installing fadora, anyways thx for the help guys.
Why not just install selected packages instead of everything? Some things are redundant. For example, just install KDE instead of Gnome (or vice versa, depending on your preferences) and skip on all the development packages unless you plan to be programming. A simple workstation install (Base System, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice) should easily fit in under 2GB.
b4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 16:32   Link #8
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

well I will try that, I have sucesfully installed fedora on my other more powerfull comp and its running fine(im typing this message on fedora) except that i have no idea how to install files -_- i will still try and install it on my p1 later but for now how do u install files for instance i want to install firefox i have it downloaded but have no idea how to install it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4k4
Why not just install selected packages instead of everything? Some things are redundant. For example, just install KDE instead of Gnome (or vice versa, depending on your preferences) and skip on all the development packages unless you plan to be programming. A simple workstation install (Base System, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice) should easily fit in under 2GB.
Old 2004-03-20, 17:06   Link #9
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
Quote:
well I will try that, I have sucesfully installed fedora on my other more powerfull comp and its running fine(im typing this message on fedora) except that i have no idea how to install files -_- i will still try and install it on my p1 later but for now how do u install files for instance i want to install firefox i have it downloaded but have no idea how to install it.
Installing the program depends on the type of file/package. (I've not installed Firefox on my Linux box, so these are general directions.) If it's a RPM package a simple rpm -Uvh package_name should do the trick (replace package_name with the name of the package, of course). If you downloaded a .tar, .tar.gz, or .tgz file, you'll need to unpack it (tar -xvvf filename for .tar, tar -xzvvf filename for .tar.gz and .tgz [replace filename with the actual file name]) and follow the instructions contained in the README of the unpacked archive. Depending on what you downloaded, you may have to compile it. (This is where you'd need the developer packages included in Fedora. If you don't have them, it's probably best to stick to pre-compiled binaries.)
b4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 17:20   Link #10
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

I found out thanks for the help.