AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-10-22, 14:51   Link #21
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

Send a message via AIM to Kupop
Umm... news flash... PCI-E and PCI are NOT the same thing.
Kupop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 16:09   Link #22
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupop View Post
Umm... news flash... PCI-E and PCI are NOT the same thing.
Old 2006-10-22, 16:23   Link #23
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
1 AGP slot (currently occupied by a GeForce 2 MX card) and three PCI slots.
Quote:
I've got 3 PCI slots though
Quote:
I was thinking of buying this card since its pretty cheap and is one notch above the 6200 cards (or so I've been told about the difference in the two series).
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133154
PNY VCG66256XPB GeForce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

Last edited by Kupop; 2006-10-22 at 16:28. Reason: Added another quote
Old 2006-10-22, 17:48   Link #24
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
I only see PCI Express cards on that site. Does that mean that NONE of those cards would work on my computers PCI slots?

Also:
Old 2006-10-22, 18:19   Link #25
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

Correct. PCI-E and PCI are incompatible. And, even if they were compatible, there's no way the PCI slot could handle the throughput required for the graphics card to perform anywhere near its intended speed. That's the entire reason the AGP slot was designed in the the first place: to provide a faster connection for the increasingly high demands of graphics cards (PCI-E x16 is even faster than AGP 8x, of course). Either you're going to have to find an AGP card or you're going to have to upgrade your motherboard as well (in order to work with PCI-E cards). Since you are working off of a tight budget of $70, I suggest hunting down an AGP card. Since you seem intent on getting a GeForce rather than a Radeon, I suggest you start searching on eBay (or, as mentioned, craigslist) for a 6600 GT AGP. If you look for them anywhere else, they'll be outside of your price range. However, since you'll be going to eBay (or craigslist) anyway to get the 6600 GT, I'd like to re-recommend getting a Radeon X800 Pro as it outperforms the 6600 GT (at lower resolutions, they perform similarly... however, when all of the following are enabled, the X800 has anywhere from a 60% to 100% better framerate than the 6600 GT) when displaying at higher resolutions, using anti-aliasing (smoothing the jaggies), and using anisotropic filtering (making things that are far away and at steep angles look prettier)... and it's only slightly (~$10-$15ish) higher than your price target.

Last edited by Kupop; 2006-10-22 at 18:48. Reason: grammatical error
Old 2006-10-22, 20:48   Link #26
someguyouknow
eh?

I would suggest a nvidia card. ATI drivers are bad for Windows and are horrid for Linux.
and i try to purchase from newegg.com
bestbuy, circuit city, frys, future shop, etc. are all rip offs.
Old 2006-10-22, 22:32   Link #27
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

Linux isn't really a problem as he quite clearly said he needed the card for gaming (World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XI specifically) and that he is using Windows XP. As for the Windows drivers, that's not so much a problem as the ATi drivers typically only have problems for the initial release and the first update after that for any card. The driver versions after that tend to be quite reliable (and that period has already passed for all of the cards mentioned in this thread so far).
Old 2006-10-22, 22:53   Link #28
someguyouknow
eh?

Quote:
Linux isn't really a problem as he quite clearly said he needed the card for gaming (World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XI specifically) and that he is using Windows XP. As for the Windows drivers, that's not so much a problem as the ATi drivers typically only have problems for the initial release and the first update after that for any card. The driver versions after that tend to be quite reliable (and that period has already passed for all of the cards mentioned in this thread so far).
That was really FYI. I was a Windows user until recently. If he ever made the switch, there may be problems. Also, Much more games work under linux than you may think. Wine and/or Cedega play most of the popular games including WoW. And yes... ATI drivers are bad. I have seen it too much to think otherwise.

btw, why did you decide to pick apart my response? seems odd to me... ATI fanboy?
Old 2006-10-22, 22:59   Link #29
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

If I were picking apart your post, I would have criticized where you shop. All I did was offer a counter-point based on my experience with ATi drivers.
Old 2006-10-22, 23:02   Link #30
someguyouknow
eh?

Quote:
If I were picking apart your post, I would have criticized where you shop. All I did was offer a counter-point based on my experience with ATi drivers.
fair enough.
Old 2006-10-22, 23:39   Link #31
Truenofan

Send a message via AIM to Truenofan Send a message via Yahoo to Truenofan
not sure about anyone else having trouble with ati drivers, i've never had any since the 9700 pro was spanking nvidia. as of late, i've heard more problems from nvidia drivers than ati, being that its hard to pick out the right ones for performance. that being said, the 9800 pro/xt would be a pretty good value, if you cant afford a x800xl agp or a 6800gt(overpriced) agp. but it is true that i've heard the drivers for ati in linux, are total poo.

yeah, this is my first post as well. good evening all.
Truenofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 23:59   Link #32
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

I didn't even notice the "ATI fanboy" part of someguyouknow's post 'til now...

... so I figured I'd respond to it.

As a PC builder and an ex-computer-gamer (as of the end of last year), I've had to weigh the pros and cons of ATi vs. nVidia many times. In Hayamaneko's case, he's planning on playing two DirectX-based games (yes, WoW has an OpenGL mode... but it was a very broken one the last time I checked) with an AGP card. It should come as no surprise that an ATi card would be the best choice for him based on a performance:cost ratio. The nVidia cards from that era (and price range) could hold their own in DirectX-based games against ATi cards up until the point AA and AF were turned on. The 6800 Ultra (rather than the 6800 GT, which should have been the nVidia equivalent) was the closest in framerate to the X800 Pro under those circumstances. Now, if he were going to play, say, an OpenGL-based game, I'd suggest an nVidia card to him in a heartbeat. However, as it stands, ATi would be the better choice for him.

Edit: Welcome, Truenofan.

Last edited by Kupop; 2006-10-23 at 00:19.
Old 2006-10-24, 07:12   Link #33
Shounen
Away for good

Again this thread has turned into one of those NVIDIA VS ATI bash attack!
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 18:15   Link #34
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

... I don't see where you're getting that. I pointed out that nVidia is better than ATi with OpenGL and that ATi is better than nVidia with DirectX in the cards that have been mentioned. They both have their strong points... one's just more suited to the op's question than the other.
Old 2006-10-25, 20:07   Link #35
Truenofan

Send a message via AIM to Truenofan Send a message via Yahoo to Truenofan
yes quite, each holds they're own in respected games and settings. but i remember a friend of mine saying that ati drivers in linux are total crap.
Truenofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 17:34   Link #36
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

My friend picked up a 7300 GS for 67 $.

BUT ... it was a PCI-Express.

If you find an AGP one it should be ok. He can play quake 4 and doom 3 and stuff fine. Also ... it has good linux drivers, ati just didn't do it.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 23:02   Link #37
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

OK, I am seriously considering getting one of the fallowing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9800X...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rosewill-Nvidia-...ayphotohosting

They both come out to the same price, but since the 9800XT card seems to be some kinda of upgraded card with a wonky fan, I'm a little weary as to whether I should get it or not. Which one looks better?
Old 2006-12-05, 14:55   Link #38
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

6600gt > 9800
The fan on the 9800 is an Arctic Cooling fan which are quite good.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 06:39   Link #39
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

ive been looking for a new card and also found out i will need a new computer that has a PCI E mother board.

if you really want an agp card you can get a radeon x800 i think in AGP. i thought about it and decided i should just get a new computer with all this dual processor
stuff coming out cheap now. honestly 5000+? mine is still at 2000

i currently have a 9800, and it will run your game fine, but i find that it is lacking alot compared to newer cards.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 01:30   Link #40
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

How do the x700's compare to the GeForce 6600'? I read somewhere that they're about the same in terms of performance.