AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-15, 16:02   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Mahouka [LN/M] - Character Speculation/Theories: Tatsuya

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all speculation, theories, and general discussion related to Tatsuya.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourites.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for characters you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel or Social Groups.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

As this is a source material thread, it is expected that you should be reasonably caught up to the latest source material when participating. However, if spoiling major plot points that others may not yet have read, please be considerate and use properly-labelled spoiler tags that indicate to the reader whether it's safe to open the tag. Spoiler tags with no label are not allowed!
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 19:49   Link #2
guestuser

i guess i take this one
i like tatsuya because he is one of the rarest kind of protagonist unlike most protagonist they are either weak or strong but tatsuya he is a true OP character in that they win in a interesting way but they differ between style so u may not like his style of winning and most main character will win in the end anyway so why bother to drag it out longer than it need to and true OP main dont have to or a need to develop their characters until the time is right like at the middle stage or the end stage because dont lump a OP character with a weak or strong character because they need to develop earlier to survive the next fight so they have a big difference and a true OP main character is suppose to dominate the beginning and the middle to protect their title as the strongest which they usually have one have but will have a much harder time until they lose and the gary sue thing to me is just a OP protagonist that is boring not about how powerful they are like i said they have a style of winning if u dont like that style than feel to call them that but i find tatsuya interesting so i just refer to him as a true OP main character also because it is hard to find a style similar to tatsuya i only know of like about one main i can think of that is super similar to him
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 20:07   Link #3
IceHism

I think the things with OP main characters is that they were never suppose to struggle through fights. Their problems resides somewhere else where brute force just can't solve no matter what
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 20:12   Link #4
guestuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I think the things with OP main characters is that they were never suppose to struggle through fights. Their problems resides somewhere else where brute force just can't solve no matter what
true i mean i dont get why people dont understand the difference between a strong and a overpower character i mean that is what OP suppose to stand for
Old 2014-05-15, 22:17   Link #5
millie10468

Even if he was as OP as the definition of OP, I don't see how that detracts from the story in any problematic way. Some say there's no tension in his fights since it's pretty clear he'll win. To that I reply that even assuming the author hasn't planned to introduce characters on the same level as Tatsuya, his ability to defeat whoever comes after him is not enough to keep him from dangling on the ropes of other more influential characters. In fact, it makes it much worse for him since it creates a lot more problems for him than it solves.

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 22:24   Link #6
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Even if he was as OP as the definition of OP, I don't see how that detracts from the story in any problematic way. Some say there's no tension in his fights since it's pretty clear he'll win. To that I reply that even assuming the author hasn't planned to introduce characters on the same level as Tatsuya, his ability to defeat whoever comes after him is not enough to keep him from dangling on the ropes of other more influential characters. In fact, it makes it much worse for him since it creates a lot more problems for him than it solves.
Putting an OP main character would detract from the story if the show is mainly about action sequences I think.
And I don't think Mahouka is about the fighting scenes really
Old 2014-05-15, 22:33   Link #7
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Putting an OP main character would detract from the story if the show is mainly about action sequences I think.
And I don't think Mahouka is about the fighting scenes really
This is what I feel a lot of people aren't willing to see. For a while now, I've been thinking that this story is more of a SoL/school life series with a dash of side action considering there's a war going on after all. Thinking it's a full-on action series will definitely cause some disappointment.

Old 2014-05-15, 23:44   Link #8
IceHism

Quote:
This is what I feel a lot of people aren't willing to see. For a while now, I've been thinking that this story is more of a SoL/school life series with a dash of side action considering there's a war going on after all. Thinking it's a full-on action series will definitely cause some disappointment.
I thought it was more politics, school, drama
Slice of life is a bit of a stretch for me.
Old 2014-05-16, 12:26   Link #9
Echizen777

Tatsuya's powers don't make him invincible...
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 23:21   Link #10
rladls2121

Tatsuya's intellegence and athlete makes him invincible, at least I think.

It is something I want to learn from, he is so smooth of almost anything.
So calm and dont get over to his head.

Just what is with his eyes? his perceiving eyes?
It is kind of weird though, him saying to a person who wears glasses have a really good eyes. Even though that person is wearing glasses. Half joking.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 06:24   Link #11
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
it depends what you consider action? its not pure slice and dice action story, there's plenty of action in it especially after the first arc but the main character is not the "kill them all" type guy, that's why he seeks to resolve problems through other means and combat is a last resort and thats why its not a pure action series.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 08:01   Link #12
guestuser

i kind of get the feeling tatsuya should be call the ultimate spear because he only have offensive ability with practically no defensive ability but if u consider it like this wouldnt that means he is miyuki weapon that people borrow
Old 2014-05-18, 08:57   Link #13
Ultragunner

have you forgotten the mighty Regrowth? I think that's the one beyond "cheating", more than any of his also broken abilities
Old 2014-05-18, 09:40   Link #14
guestuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
have you forgotten the mighty Regrowth? I think that's the one beyond "cheating", more than any of his also broken abilities
it does have its own limit that regrow slows down his processing speed and yea it is pretty broken but think about how many time he need to go to the hospital with out it
Old 2014-05-18, 10:03   Link #15
IceHism

I'd say elemental sight, being the backbone to all of his powers, is the real OP technique here. It allows him to read eidos to use regrowth, see up to 1000m away, read activation sequences and magic sequences, see through physical obstacles, allow him to target to up to more than 1000m away as long as he can get the coordinates of the enemies (which he described was hard if they were farther or if they are not using magic as said in vol 6)
Old 2014-05-19, 17:49   Link #16
millie10468

I'm rereading the novels and in one of the earlier volumes(3 to be exact), Miyuki says that one of Tatsuya's flaws is that " he was unable to comprehend goodwill directed towards him. More importantly, Tatsuya honestly questioned why people would think positively of him."
She goes on to blame that on the fact that his parents neglected to "pour" that emotion into him and even went as far as to "strip it from his mind."

Reading this when people are complaining about his lack of flaws drives home just how interesting Tatsuya as a character can be to people who look closely enough. Sure, some might say it's just an attempt by the author to try and make him less of a Gary Stu but I do believe the author has planned far enough that everything about Tatsuya was not merely written on a whim.

The above excerpt just made me realize that, for all people predict Tatsuya being able to end up with someone at the end of the series, it seems more and more unlikely to me the more I reread it. The guy doesn't know or remember what love is. How exactly is he supposed to love someone even if he does indeed magically regain his emotions? Basically, the author has given him a magical reason for having low self esteem and it's really interesting to see how his self image contradicts with how we the readers and even characters in the series see him. While it amazes me how someone as logical as Tatsuya cannot see his own self in a positive light, I shudder at what could happen if he ever sees just how awesome he is himself. He's probably not be extremely arrogant, but he'd be a lot more risky, wouldn't he?

Old 2014-05-19, 18:07   Link #17
Rava

Yeah, he definitely still has a low opinion of some of his abilities. Even in 13, according to the myriad spoilers, he doesn't think people won because of his Engineering skills but that he happened to be the Engineer for the people who won.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 18:28   Link #18
peinmaximus@

Guys,any friends of Tatsuya already know that he is one of the most powerful wizards of the world(that he is an strategic class wizard) until the last volume of the LN that is out?
And in the story already appeared someone who is stronger than Tatsuya?
peinmaximus@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 21:57   Link #19
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I'm rereading the novels and in one of the earlier volumes(3 to be exact), Miyuki says that one of Tatsuya's flaws is that " he was unable to comprehend goodwill directed towards him. More importantly, Tatsuya honestly questioned why people would think positively of him."
We need a weakness that it actually debilitating in combat.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 21:59   Link #20
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We need a weakness that it actually debilitating in combat.
Why would that make him a better character?

Tags
epic awesome badass