Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-25, 23:30   Link #261
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix2772 View Post
I think they are trying to write the conclusion that Mori herself wasn't able to come to, and I am almost certain it involves William getting everything, with some inevitable exceptions, on his own terms. How they do that, plotwise, will determine whether this worked or not. If they stretch historical credulity too far, it'll be a wash.
i don't know how they could possibly get a happy ending where he isn't disinherited and gets emma, like you said that kinda stuff didn't happen then.
Old 2007-06-26, 01:07   Link #262
Mangaka-chan

I noticed some similarities in theme and mood between the anime and the manga after watching epi. 9, and I don't think they're going to do the last major arc in the manga.

Spoiler for thoughts after epi. 9:
Old 2007-06-26, 05:48   Link #263
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Holy crap, after naively reading the spoilers in Mangaka-chan's post, I can see why there are people so up-in-arms about the changes they're making in the anime when compared with the manga.

Ep 9

Decent ep. I applaud the fact that William has become so resolute, but as others have mentioned, though it seems like the most probable ending, it's not obvious how they can end with William getting everything he wants, while this remaining an accurate portrayal of the time. The storytelling in this ep was particularly good, though. I dig the way that they show reactions to events from so many different and varying points of view, which also does a pretty good job of highlighting the divide in Victorian society.

Looking forward to seeing how they can wrap this up, but I am starting to understand why people are a little underwhelmed by this season of Emma.
Old 2007-06-26, 11:33   Link #264
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Holy crap, after naively reading the spoilers in Mangaka-chan's post, I can see why there are people so up-in-arms about the changes they're making in the anime when compared with the manga.
Personally I don't want to pass judgement until the anime ends, and even then I'd prefer to judge it on its own merit, and not compare it to the manga. Even though the two have the same title, it's obvious the execution is very different, and it just didn't seem fair IMO to judge one solely based on the other without considering the anime's own merits.
Old 2007-06-26, 19:55   Link #265
servidor

Too bad, episode 11 felt like another filler episode. A couple of crisis that didn't appear in the manga, well the second one looks like a variant of chapter 33 of the manga.

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2007-06-27, 08:22   Link #266
Miles Teg

From a spoiler everything seem to be resolved at the end of episode 12.

http://anime.goo.ne.jp/contents/tvan.../12/index.html

Spoiler for Episode 12 spoiler in Japanase:
Old 2007-06-27, 13:14   Link #267
isolatedincidence

Send a message via AIM to isolatedincidence
The manga is a little slow paced, so I can understand they changes they have made for the anime adaption. I may not like all of them, but I am really enjoying Hans' expanded screen time. They are actually turning him into the character/potential rival I expected him to be in the manga, where he was pretty much a non-figure.
Old 2007-06-27, 14:46   Link #268
kujoe
from head to heel

These so-called improvements come at a high price in my opinion. Funny thing is, while Hans' role is less pivotal in the manga, I found his enigmatic and detached personality more interesting in there than in the anime.

The manga is straight as an arrow William and Emma trying to get together (with some slice of life this and that), while the anime has partly become a rushed love triangle of sorts. Sometimes, simpler is better. (I still mourn for chapter 35, damnit.) In fact, I really don't mind if the anime becomes just as slow paced as the manga. It's better to have a third season than to fit and rush the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-k
Haha, feel our pain.

But as all things go, I'm reserving final judgment until I see the finished product. But for now, color me disappointed with mixed feelings.
Old 2007-06-27, 15:33   Link #269
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
But as all things go, I'm reserving final judgment until I see the finished product. But for now, color me disappointed with mixed feelings.
Understand wholeheartedly, the changes more often than not seem to have taken away something from the overall story.
Old 2007-06-28, 09:44   Link #270
Pheonix2772

Spoiler for thoughts on the Raw Ep 11:

My jury is still out on the changes, but they seem to have something in mind. I'll stick with it.
Old 2007-06-28, 11:23   Link #271
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
just finishing episode 8 & 9
my opinion about william he's so rush about agreement that engagement even he already know that he can't forget about emma
that's why he felt guilty

and for Viscount he's so scary man, i agree with monica that her father just concern his pride than his daughter

fuih episode 10 will be interesting between william and Hans

BTW total episodes of this second act will be 12 episodes?
Old 2007-06-28, 17:50   Link #272
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I don't really like the second act. Emma is portrayed as a paragoon of virtue. She also seem to get special treatment from the boss. Those two things are what i hate the most about some principsl character of anime/manga/books/movies or tv. I am also the type that prefer an anime adaptation of a manga to stay as close as possible to the original.

I was reading the manga before the first act was made into an anime. I downloaded the anime but did not watch it. I did the same with the earlier part of the second act, until i was able to read the entire manga. The manga is good but if i was introduced to Victorian Romance Emma by the anime first, i know i would never have touched the manga.

Maybe the anime will have an happy end. Like William and Emma getting together and such. Maybe they'll even show Eleanor getting someone.
Whatever is the ending i think i will not like it anyway....
Old 2007-06-29, 23:33   Link #273
Cal-Reflector

To those who have finished reading the manga: I would like to know what people thought about the way the story ended. I have just finished reading the manga today (bought the series two days ago), the quality of the work set me on fire even more than the time I first read the scanlations by iitran years ago.

See some familiar faces in this thread too. *Waves*

Spoiler for As Objective as I can manage:
Old 2007-06-30, 00:41   Link #274
kujoe
from head to heel

Hey, Cal. *waves back* Have you read the bangaihen chapters yet? There's more of Eleanor in one of those chapters. I think you might be interested.

As for what I thought of the ending of the manga...

Spoiler for something hopefully not wholly off-topic in this thread:

I apologize. I'm having a hard time with my words here. My mind can't seem to hold on to what I exactly want to say. It's like, "Yes, I like it but something's missing...something important... I still do like the way it turns out, but in a way I kind of feel sorry for liking it." Or something like that.

Am I making any sense?

The anime is changing a few things however. I'm not sure if I'll be having the same reaction at the end.

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-06-30 at 01:07.
Old 2007-06-30, 00:58   Link #275
Pheonix2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
To those who have finished reading the manga: I would like to know what people thought about the way the story ended. I have just finished reading the manga today (bought the series two days ago), the quality of the work set me on fire even more than the time I first read the scanlations by iitran years ago.

See some familiar faces in this thread too. *Waves*

Spoiler for As Objective as I can manage:
Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Pheonix2772; 2007-06-30 at 01:12.
Old 2007-06-30, 01:19   Link #276
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Hey, Cal. *waves back* Have you read the bangaihen chapters yet? There's more of Eleanor in one of those chapters. I think you might be interested.

As for what I thought of the ending of the manga...
Been a while Kujoe; not since I pulled a Johan at the Mushishi thread, I believe.

I've read the Bangaihen chapters, they're fantastic, Kelly and Doug are precious, the cook's story was quite unnecessary, as was the bartender's. No Hans, Adelle, and even Hakim makes me extremely unhappy, especially when the squirrel got a fifth of the book all to himself. *Flips Table* As for Eleanor, well, we see her in the process of moving on, but that and the events of the main story are two things.

Spoiler:

I apologize for my judgemental tone; I hope we've chatted enough in the past for you to recognize that I'm not just trying to be an asshole fanboy who didn't get what he want. Maybe I was a bit like that in the Hachikuro thread, not here though.

To Phoenix2772: Thank you for the feedback. Personally, though I lean towards the conservative, I hold nothing against William for balking at England's two-tiered society. I loved his romance with Emma and squeed... well, rejoiced, when things looked up for them. Everything soured however when he proposed and then broke the engagement; I would have been just as outraged if Eleanor was a fisherman's daughter. Hence I don't see this transgression as related to the uchi-soto conflict. It is simply one human being betraying the love and trust of another.

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2007-06-30 at 01:30.
Old 2007-06-30, 02:05   Link #277
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Been a while Kujoe; not since I pulled a Johan at the Mushishi thread, I believe.
Oh, the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
I apologize for my judgemental tone; I hope we've chatted enough in the past for you to recognize that I'm not just trying to be an asshole fanboy who didn't get what he want. Maybe I was a bit like that in the Hachikuro thread, not here though.
Heh, I have a feeling that I'm at odds with you when it comes to Honey and Clover, so let's not go there.

But seriously, no offense taken.

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-06-30 at 02:43.
Old 2007-06-30, 02:30   Link #278
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Interesting. This is probably outside the limits of this topic, but what if you reverse the question? "Keep all promises made, even though they go against your heart." Is that any better?
I think so, in fact, the latter half is redundant, and the statement can be simplified to "Keep the promises you make." Understood, of course, that you are the one with the decision, and not someone else deciding for you or forcing you. Now that would make things alot easier, wouldn't it? All things taken into consideration, including complicated circumstances, societal expectations and honor and decency and human emotion, most would agree that we would like people to keep promises they make as a rule, and that the world would be a better place for it.

Promisese are made to be kept, and William is a good man, so I think he wasn't lying when he proposed, that he planned on marrying Eleanor, but... as you grow older, you learn that there are things that can't, and shouldn't be undone, cause people are going to be hurt, and since you're the one who started it, you should be the one to bear it.

My precious weekend has its mood all clouded over now, I feel like writing some angry Hans-Adelle sex as a way of putting these negative feelings to good use. *Flips Table*
Old 2007-06-30, 02:47   Link #279
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
My precious weekend has its mood all clouded over now, I feel like writing some angry Hans-Adelle sex as a way of putting these negative feelings to good use. *Flips Table*
Wait, weren't you planning on writing something for Black Lagoon? All I remember is that it was supposed to involve Balalaika and Rock... Or was that for Mushishi? Uhm, yeah...

Quote:
Promisese are made to be kept, and William is a good man, so I think he wasn't lying when he proposed, that he planned on marrying Eleanor,...
Maybe it's just me, but while I think he isn't lying, I also feel that his heart isn't to up to it either. He seems desperately trying to move on from loneliness.

While we both see the wrong in what William has done, I see it from a different standpoint. You accuse him of not holding up to the promise, whereas I blame him for making it. In the end, that may just be a play on words playing on the same situation, but this is also the main reason why I reversed that question earlier.
Old 2007-06-30, 02:56   Link #280
Pheonix2772

Quote:
To Phoenix2772: Thank you for the feedback. Personally, though I lean towards the conservative, I hold nothing against William for balking at England's two-tiered society. I loved his romance with Emma and squeed... well, rejoiced, when things looked up for them. Everything soured however when he proposed and then broke the engagement; I would have been just as outraged if Eleanor was a fisherman's daughter. Hence I don't see this transgression as related to the uchi-soto conflict. It is simply one human being betraying the love and trust of another.
In the Manga, society, Eleanor herself and later Monica, essentially forced themselves on William. I see his failure there as one of cowardice, not malicious intent. But I'm simply watching at this point. Like it or not, how the story ends has a lot to say about what happened in it (IOW, life is not a game of bean bag, and the ends may occasionally justify the means.) I had thought at one point during the Manga, Mori might actually have Eleanor off herself. At that point, yes, William's actions would have seemed even more heinous, eh?

But I am interested in it both for the story and what the story says about contemporary Japanese culture. Hence I am taking a phenomenological approach at this time. The post mortem will come, as it should, after I see the end.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, romance, seinen