AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-14, 07:59   Link #221
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm under the impression that Nabeshin is struggling to control the insanity. There's a real art to controlled insanity in anime comedy, IMO, and I don't think Nabeshin's handling it all that well. I just can't help but feel that, in the hands of a Shinbo Akiyuki or even an Ishihara Tatsuya, this would be a better comedy.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 08:30   Link #222
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I don't know those guys, but I think this will be better with a KATSUSHI SAKURABI ... turn all that comedy into angst, and have an explosive ending ... :V (j/k)

I'm sorry, I don't know those people (directors?) - enlighten me, please?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 08:46   Link #223
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Shinbo Akiyuki: Moon Phase, Pani Poni Dash, Negima?, Petite Cossette

Ishihara Tatsuya: Haruhi, Kanon 2006, Air

There are other examples of directors who could do it, but these are the first two that sprung to mind. Shinbo in particular has an incredible knack for maintaining order in relative insanity. I think that's what this series needs, IMO. Just a bit of restraint to bring it a step back from the brink of total chaos. I can't really criticize the humour but the execution and timing is just terrible at times, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 08:53   Link #224
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Having watched the sixth episode recently, he just can't pull it off. He has to choose better material from within the manga else this series is going to be a cesspool of dirt and grime. Nabeshin just can't pull it off ... and he magnified this inability in the sixth episode.

I prefer a level-headed mind like Katsushi Sakurabi to do this show. He's the only director I ever remembered (aside from Shinichiro Watanabe), and IIRC he's doing Asatte no Houkou right now. I admire his dynamism, however. He did Tsukihime and he's now doing something of a totally different genre, and yet I still love it.

What this anime needs is closure - if this anime is slated at 13 episodes, we're already almost by the halfway mark without any real progress. I hope Nabeshin does not make the mistake of cramming the ending - it would just make it look even worse. It may end up no one ending up with anyone, but if he added some distinguishing characteristics that prove that there has been a significant development among the relationships of the characters, it would probably be enough. I'm not expecting anything, though.

ep6 was bad ... it didn't even make me snigger. :|
Old 2006-11-14, 18:45   Link #225
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Its made by Nabeshin, you wouldn't want plot or characters.. Nabeshin's pure genuis when it comes to random comedic stuff.
Unfortunately I need characters in my anime to care about the comedy. If a show lacks characters the plot or comedy or some other aspect has to be incredible, because characters are what I like most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 6 was ok. I chuckled a couple of times. Some of the moments made me realize just how shallow the cast in this show is though. Case in point: Nakahara Mai's character's attempt to win back Sugita Tomokazu's character's approval by devoting herself to single-handedly cleaning the house (these characters' names aren't important enough to remember, so I find myself remembering them by seiyuu). I mean, really. When a character's thought process goes along the lines of "there's a greater chance he'll like me if I do his housework", it becomes a struggle to truly empathize with them. But, it's not just her, the entire anime almost seems just as shallow with the entire premise and main theme surrounding appearance (as pointed out in this very thread by minds greater than my own). I'm glad the focus is the comedy and not the plot or characters, since they're near impossible to take seriously.
Indeed. I complained about how shallow this show was after episode 2 and it hasn't gotten any deeper. I'm afraid I'm at my limit waiting for this show to develop and after 6 episodes I'll just have to accept that I'm never getting those 2 hours of my life back. It's time for me to quit watching before I lose another 2 and a half hours of my life watching the last 7 episodes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 23:52   Link #226
dojikyo

I really liked the first episode and third episode. The 6th episode was pretty dull. I'm hoping that some more character development comes in. They could get rid of the Gothloli girls and use that extra time for something else.
dojikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 00:02   Link #227
tritoch

Kasai Ken`ichi of H&C S1 fame would give justice to this show. Ofcourse Ken is currently directing the awesome dorama Nodame Cantabile which airs right before Nana. He directed Major as well.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 15:39   Link #228
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Sorry, I don't feel like reading the pages I missed, but is it official that this is a show with only 13 episodes?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 16:00   Link #229
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Yeah, can someone confirm this?
Old 2006-11-15, 16:16   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm a few steps behind NoSanninWa ... this series started off with such a bang but it not only has gone nowhere the comedy being selected .... fails. The ugly gothlolis burn time budget with no purpose. Argh....

I'm about to watch ep 5 and 6 out of sheer stubbornness but if they don't win... I'm cleaning the hard drive.

edit after watching ep5: I'm really torn here.... if they'd draw her normally for even half the show I'd stick with it despite the lack of progress but she spends like 80% of the time in hideous chibi mode. And it is like she and tall-blonde-whatisname already have some understanding and then it randomly vanishes....

gah, frustrating. (but good lord she's pretty wielding a blade in the cultural festival)

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-11-15 at 17:59.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 23:52   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

just finished ep 6 ... ... ... other than the 30 second plot of "Sunako likes halloween and missed it" and the fact we get to see someone actually get kissed!!!! (well, on the forehead, but it sure charged her up).

Overall I was disappointed... Sunako spent the entire episode in that "chibi-ish" form (except for about 1 second). I would have expected her to flower up at the party there (or while bathing?). That aspect alone is really stomping on a nerve ending ... the art/animation budget must be measured in 100 yen notes with all the blobby stick figures and chibi Sunako. Yes, it can be funny.... but not 90% of the time.

A Halloween episode should have been quite a treat in YNSH but this felt like "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" with all the good parts taken out.

Damn, is this going to be a "great premise wasted" series?
Only 7 episodes to go? <sigh> I'll continue watching if I can't find anything else to watch during my scheduled "anime moments" ... but only if there's *nothing* else to torrent.
Old 2006-11-17, 06:35   Link #232
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

finally watched ep 7. Episode 7 is much better compared to ep 6, considering i did laugh at some of the most random thoughts ever in it....it might be possible X_X
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 19:27   Link #233
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Just watched ep 6. It wasnt SO bad, the "Path to becoming a domestic man" was really funny, considering that I also suck at cleaning xD (It broke automaticaly!) Takenaga was a Dirt killer, he practically was flaming the dirt to death XD.
And then goth loli, random and boring stuff. I think the final part of the episode had to be done different to the manga.
Episode 7 is a filler? I dont remember nothing of the preview being in the manga...
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 20:08   Link #234
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's only when they try to break free of the manga will they be able to achieve something proper for this series's ending. Other than that, I'd assume the ending to be lame and I'm already slowly acceding to the notion that Nabeshin is a bollix.
Old 2006-11-18, 15:06   Link #235
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I was really disapointed, not that the manga was to die for but i could have been much better. After ep 6 i did not see any amelioration so i'm really thinking about not getting more.

What i cannot stand in that show is the lips of the guys and most of all the voices of the girls.

One question. The goth-loli-something sisters, why are they crossing their finger and saying «goth goth loli loli»? Does it mean something or is it some joke that i don't get?
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 21:25   Link #236
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's a shibboleth of theirs. It's their watchword - something to distinguish them as goth lolis.
Old 2006-11-19, 01:27   Link #237
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Yeah... I really don't get why the give so much screen time to gothic loli sisters. They are annoying and stupid in the manga, but that's okay since they only showed up in one chapter, but here... <.<
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 02:41   Link #238
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's because Nabeshin needs to be raped by my rabid hamsters.
Old 2006-11-19, 11:47   Link #239
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Is Nabeshin the afro guy in punipuni poemi and excel saga?
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 16:56   Link #240
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Yeah.
He was the director of those series, btw.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote