AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-15, 21:03   Link #61
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Why not just make it that it shows the person who repped you AND de-repped. That way cowards will think twice before trolling or flaming.

If you guys can do that, why not?
Well, you can do that. But doing this doesn't necessarily solve everything either. You still get factions forming, people seeking revenge, and people preoccupied with an artificial measure of status.

But I will say from personal experience that you do get less negative rep if the person knows who sent it. The vast majority of the neg rep sent was of the "anonymous coward" kind.
Old 2012-12-15, 21:04   Link #62
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

@ Ledgem - It's not the size of the boat it's the motion of the o-- you know what I mean....

I could careless of how many bars. Just hate the trolling and flaming for disliking a game.

Instead of a Rep system, how about a post system. those who have a bigger posts per day have diffrent titles ... /shrug
Old 2012-12-15, 21:38   Link #63
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Good riddance on the reputation system!
It was ill-conceived right from the very beginning, and was more of a troll haven than anything else - which is why sane people like me disabled it very quickly.
Old 2012-12-15, 21:40   Link #64
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Instead of a Rep system, how about a post system. those who have a bigger posts per day have diffrent titles ... /shrug
we'd probably have to say goodbye to our customized titles if they're to do that
I don't want that

Old 2012-12-15, 21:45   Link #65
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Short answer: Anything but that.
"Long answer": any feature based on post count is definitely giving a huge tendency for multiple post spree, often pointless, which would clutter the forums and lead to even more workload.

The main point in this change is to drop the aforementioned trends, and encourage actual discussion and exchanges instead. There is no need for substitution as of now.
Old 2012-12-15, 21:46   Link #66
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well I think that factions forming are completely unavoidable.

Every anime will have a X or Y favorite character for each person, and people will either agree or disagree with their choice.

If everyone had the same reaction to anime, having a forum to discuss this would be redundant. However, rep IS useful to show who is more agreed on or disagreed with, but there is an imbalance in the "power" of this.

For example, X guy repped my comment on Tamako Market and I only recieved 1 point. Y guy repped my fanfic and I got a gazillion points.

The current problems lie with the anonimity and the unbalanced power. One vet can upvote a comment and a thousand "noobs" can downvote it and he'll still get a gazillion more points.

A per post reputation showing how each post impacted in the comunity with a color code, being able to see who voted YOUR posts only and their comments (I would also add the FRIENDS LIST of the person being able to see who reps who) while the Z person isn't able to see who voted, only if that post was "constructive" or "agreed" with by the color code.

This breaks the anon issue and the problem with downvotes, and also shows the people on the friends list who votes what. Of course, Mods SHOULD also be able to see who reps who, just to keep tabs on people repping each other constantly and breaking the system.

Last, "reputation" at an avatar level should be shown as well. If a person has an average of say above X/post, his avatar should have a bronze/silver/gold lining or something (or something equally important to show that a person is rather liked or disliked)

So if one of his posts is extremely agreed with, but he makes a lot of other unimportant comments, his "rep" wouldn't be as high as someone that constantly contributes.

Just some thoughts.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-12-15, 21:59   Link #67
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Animesuki will never be the same again...

Much of the people here will do everything to get + rep, through, avatar & sigs making, good anime suggestions, good comments and good sharing of thoughts.. Lets be real, some of us want a "physical" show of appreciation from others that is the "cookie"... It acts as a motivator to continue to perform those appreciable acts...

On the other it has its negative... back stabbing. I think its the MODs responsibility to keep this check.. Why not continue the rep system but this time its the MODs who will be the "middle man". If the a rep is reasonable, he allows it to be sent to the receiver. I thinks its not that hard. It will also filter out non sense comments usually sent together with the rep..

Loosing this will affect the amount of posts that will be entertained in the future, IMHO... Lets hope that will not happen...
Old 2012-12-15, 22:06   Link #68
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
On the other it has its negative... back stabbing. I think its the MODs responsibility to keep this check.. Why not continue the rep system but this time its the MODs who will be the "middle man". If the a rep is reasonable, he allows it to be sent to the receiver. I thinks its not that hard. It will also filter out non sense comments usually sent together with the rep..
How much am I going to be paid to do this tireless judging work and have to face the wrath of all the posters who think I let an unfair rep slip through the cracks? (We already have people who claim it's the moderators "jobs" to manually check every post on the Forum, and get accused of "not doing our job" if anything gets let through. Sorry, we do what we can...) What objective, common standards are we going to use to judge what is "reasonable"? It's easy to volunteer the mods for this tireless work, but sorry -- I refuse to be responsible for approving all the feedback people give to each other, and I won't consider suggesting the other volunteer staff do that either. And by the way, you couldn't pay me enough to do it either (not that any of us get paid anything as it is).

Honestly, if your primary motivation for posting here was to be rewarded by rep... well, I'm afraid you'll have to re-evaluate your reasons for posting here. This change will provide that opportunity. I can't really think of another way to say it.

P.S. I'm honestly sorry if that response is a little bit too blunt... but I hope you will understand where I'm coming from.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:16   Link #69
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Honestly, if your primary motivation for posting here was to be rewarded by rep... well, I'm afraid you'll have to re-evaluate your reasons for posting here. This change will provide that opportunity. I can't really think of another way to say it.
Sorry for that. I'm not saying that its all because of "that" that we post here or entertain such but we can't deny the fact that its part of it. It acts likes an extra "tip" to those who receives them.

Sorry again if I said something unpleasant but its not intentional..

Anyway.. if its for the best then let it be...
Old 2012-12-15, 22:18   Link #70
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

While the rep system was great while it lasted it did suffer from a lot of what RF has said.

Mainly I've been spotting the negative rep where the anon just does it for no reason. I've had this happen to me twice and I could never figure out why. One of it was recently which I took up with Daniel.E about if there was a way to know who did it and if it was fair.

One was just a random negative rep with no comment from an avatar thread the recent one was in the Chuunibyou thread with the comment "Nothing Peronsal". Which I felt was personal as why just go around negative rep someone who was sharing a picture and put a NSFW tag on it due to the small panty-shot. I came to my own conclusion it was due to my member title I had, it was mostly know from the Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn. Because of that I changed it to something I don't want until it breezed over.

I personally think this is a good change for AS. It will encourage more people to post feedback to those who make graphics instead of a simple neg or pos rep. Instead they more so have to post on the thread or profile.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:18   Link #71
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Animesuki will never be the same again...

Much of the people here will do everything to get + rep, through, avatar & sigs making, good anime suggestions, good comments and good sharing of thoughts.. Lets be real, some of us want a "physical" show of appreciation from others that is the "cookie"... It acts as a motivator to continue to perform those appreciable acts...
I'll admit it. After reading your argument here, I'm a bit worried about the future of avatar and sig creations. I've never had any difficulties in getting requested avatars and sigs from the great artists of Anime Suki, and I usually received them in an impressively timely fashion at that.

But then I did make a point to posrep people whenever they'd do such a favor for me. With that "cookie" gone, will motivation to complete avatar and sig requests decline?

I'm less concerned with the other things you mentioned though. We have some people here with blacked-out reputation who make long, elaborate posts sharing their opinions on a recent anime episode, or on an anime series, or on any sort of topic. Clearly these people aren't making "good comments" and "good sharing of thoughts" just to get posreps, or they wouldn't have rep disabled. And I think that's at least generally true of all of us, including those without rep disabled.

People post on message boards because they tend to enjoy it, and they tend to like expressing their opinions and thoughts on things. I don't think the lack of "cookies" will change that.

I will admit this, though - There were times when I felt my points just weren't getting through, and a posrep was reassuring there, making me think that at least somebody (even if it was an anonymous repper) was appreciating what I was writing. And that can sort of spur you onwards at times, I found.

There are other ways to convey that sort of "I like this post" though, so maybe they should be considered. I see value in the "like" suggestion that papermario13689 made, for example.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:26   Link #72
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Posting this from my phone : any inconsistencies, spelling errors and sentence fragmentation will be addressed when I get home -

Truth to be told, with the number of reps and negreps streaming into my UCP, I don't think that bothering with my reps is a mentally healthy thing to do - it fosters some sort of "vengeance mentality" against people who are just being themselves, viewing things through a different lens of life, then expressing their opinion in the most brutally honest way possible - a text message in full public view.

The rep system, in essence, always has its pros and cons, as it is a form of expression of agreement and disagreement with another person's view. Since this forum is run with semi-anonimised representation, there are bound to be trolls, or maybe even mercenary elements who are paid by monied interest groups to attempt to distort world views in the groups' favour (usually image).

In short, this forum is not much different from life. There are good, bad and ugly parts of it, some which you can do something about, other which you can't. So not why just use this place, and its presence of knowledgable and wise folks from all walks of life, to discuss oft taboo issues, gain insight and/or just simply have fun by exchanging random ideas?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:28   Link #73
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But then I did make a point to posrep people whenever they'd do such a favor for me. With that "cookie" gone, will motivation to complete avatar and sig requests decline?
I might eating what I said earlier but maybe a bit of decline might occur but may returned back afterwards. People do change and re adapt... Hope there will be new substitutes to that system... But as part of the Graphics Designer Group, I have to do my part to continue serving....

Quote:
I see value in the "like" suggestion that papermario13689 made, for example.
Similar to Facebook's? Not bad, I like that..

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-15 at 22:47.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:30   Link #74
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm kinda sad to see the rep system go since it's been a part of AS but i understand since some use it to neg rep others for saying something they disagree even when what they was reasonable or making jokes they didn't know were jokes. (Me being one of those victims)

Well, at least the last 5 reps i got were positive and i went out with a good note. "coughbutstillnotsuperelitestatuscough"

Anyway, i expect to see whatever will succeed/replace the rep system.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:34   Link #75
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
I'll admit it. After reading your argument here, I'm a bit worried about the future of avatar and sig creations. I've never had any difficulties in getting requested avatars and sigs from the great artists of Anime Suki, and I usually received them in an impressively timely fashion at that.

I don't think so. I enjoy the process of creating avatars and signatures, so rep doesn't really matter for me (I know this is also the case for a few other graphic designers/artists). Sure, it served as a fairly nice motivator at times, but seeing other people use my creations was much more of a motivator for me to make more.
Old 2012-12-15, 22:37   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I don't think so. I enjoy the process of creating avatars and signatures, so rep doesn't really matter for me (I know this is also the case for a few other graphic designers/artists). Sure, it served as a fairly nice motivator at times, but seeing other people use my creations was much more of a motivator for me to make more.
That's reassuring then.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 2012-12-15, 23:11   Link #77
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I've been frequenting a lot of IP boards lately and they have an interesting Rep System where you can only one up a post you like with no negative option.

Don't like what they say? Say it like a man, not cloak and dagger neg rep abuse.

And those boards most often a personalized rep button. Like the DayZ forum where you say to someone " you have my beans!" or another forum "you have my blood bag!"

AS could be like, "you have my Loli!" or something. Just saying some form of repping is a positive thing.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2012-12-15, 23:12   Link #78
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I can see some advantages of getting rid of the rep system, but I think there will be a drawback. I think that for many, the rep system kept them in line sometimes. For those that had repping enabled, if they got really agitated at times, maybe the desire to not get some neg rep points may have made them contain themselves more in their posts.

Really, I do think the rep system has kept many people in line or more in line at many times. Now that we are getting rid of the rep system, I wouldn't be surprised if we see many posters being bolder in their attitudes at times, or perhaps more people causing a ruckus than we've seen in the past several years.
Old 2012-12-15, 23:12   Link #79
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I have to agree here ^^

Sure postivie rep was nice in return for the making the avatar but as Aprah said having the person use it is more of a great feeling then a few boxes below our avatar

As a regular avatar maker I don't expect(ed) people to rep me for my work. Just the day someone comes in and goes "Hey I love this could I use it?" makes me feel so much better and make more ^^
Old 2012-12-15, 23:21   Link #80
Kyuu
=^^=

The funniest thing about the Rep System here...

It actually factored into me being more of a Forum Good boy. If anyone here knows me in other forums -- I can be quite the jackass, with an enjoyment to post without impunity. For the most part, my bad behavior had been curbed here. And I simply took that part of me elsewhere. It has to vent somehow. At the same time, this community had been relatively peaceful; and I have grown not to lean towards bringing my hostility here.

Noting my join date of August 2007. I never really was all that active here until (a) I left my previous anime community and (b) Starcraft 2. SC2 gave me a basic platform to bring myself out in here a bit more.
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, reputation