AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-03-30, 08:16   Link #6541
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
I think what you said above are possibilities. Just the words "love forever" is nothing more than thoughts or hopes without evidences, and it is really hard to imagining that someone would "entirely sure" that that will be the case.
I think someone's missing the point here. :P

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 14:28   Link #6542
babohtea

GlassesLady, are you sure? I thought that Hayate and Athena exchanged rings, but Hayate's parents sold the one Athena gave Hayate. I don't remember the cheap ring that Hayate gave showing up anywhere else.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 20:32   Link #6543
GlassesLady
dat apple

What I'm saying is that a bunch of people thought Hayate had the ring. I'm not saying I agreed with them. /:

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 20:38   Link #6544
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Hayate thinks the reson he got "dumped" was only due to the 10 years they were separate........
Hayate doesn't have the ring Athena gave him cause his parents sold it. I assumed he left the box when he saw it in Athena's house, since there was no indication that he was carrying it around. I presumed the box was just a reminder to Hayate that Athena remembers him.

Last edited by Koroshiya_Kame_13; 2010-03-30 at 20:48.
Koroshiya_Kame_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 21:43   Link #6545
zodanhko
*ignoring*

If Hayate discovers the box that Nagi is having sometime in the future, he will assume that Athena either had already discard the ring or still keeps it. Since he believes that Athena actually had the intention to dump him, the first choice will most likely going to happen. However, if he happens to see Athena wears the ring on her ring finger once she returns to Japan, what will happen then? Waiting to see Athena's next move.

It doesn't look like their story since the EotW arc has ended yet but only facing new obstacles?
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 03:09   Link #6546
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya_Kame_13 View Post
Hayate thinks the reson he got "dumped" was only due to the 10 years they were separate........
I don't think that's what he thinks, and that he simply said that to Hina, because he didn't want to go into full details. Athena made it quite clear that the reason she was breaking up with him is because he cannot follow her as he's now Nagi's butler, and Hayate clearly understood that much. (Naturally, Athena had more reasons than that, but that's sort of unrelated to this particular case.)

As for the ring Athena's carrying, I don't know if you guys can see it in the raw, but I have this week's SS, and it's quite clear Athena is wearing the ring Hayate gave her (here's a pic, it's not as good as looking at the actual book, but I think you can see it there). Well, one could argue she had a similar ring or that she just bought a similar one, but I don't think there's any indication for that (all the same, I can't say that idea is wrong, as I currently have no real way to prove it wrong).

Last edited by Used Can; 2010-03-31 at 03:29.
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 04:30   Link #6547
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I don't think that's what he thinks, and that he simply said that to Hina, because he didn't want to go into full details. Athena made it quite clear that the reason she was breaking up with him is because he cannot follow her as he's now Nagi's butler, and Hayate clearly understood that much. (Naturally, Athena had more reasons than that, but that's sort of unrelated to this particular case.)
Just proposing that it could be likely, considering how dense Hayate is. He wouldn't be able to go in furthur details anyways, since Maria asked him to go pack before Hinagiku could ask him more (she wanted to anyway). If Hinagiku were to ask, then we'll know if Hayate knows about the reasons regarding the breakup, but since she was cut short, we probably won't see it, so let's just leave it at that.
Old 2010-03-31, 05:38   Link #6548
Used Can

Quote:
If Hinagiku were to ask, then we'll know if Hayate knows about the reasons regarding the breakup, but since she was cut short, we probably won't see it, so let's just leave it at that.
That's assuming he wants to go into details, and my point was he didn't want to. Naturally, I'm not going to say any other possible interpretations are wrong and mine is right, but I believe things can also be seen this way, if we re-read the previous chapter (i.e. 265) and then read the latest one again.

In 265, Athena told Hayate she could pay his debt, to which Hayate showed reluctance to, and then Athena basically told him "see? you cannot do that, right?" and after that Hayate accepted the break-up.

In 266, he told Hina he got dumped, when in 265 it was his own decision to go back to Japan with Nagi and not to stay with Athena in Greece. He also told Hina he got dumped because he made Athena wait for 10 years, when in 265 Athena made it clear they couldn't be together because he was Nagi's butler, which Hayate accepted and thus he made the decision I pointed out earlier.

This is, basically, the line of reason behind my interpretation.
Old 2010-03-31, 09:18   Link #6549
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Personally, I think he really meant it when he said it was due to the"10 years separation" that he got "dumped." Since he used the word "dumped," it indicates that he believes that Athena had no more feelings for him which supports that fact of him pondered 'Will he fall in love again?' If he considered that the butler works separated them, that very well means that he should realized (or believed) that Athena must still has feelings for him when she said to pay his debts.

The facts that he believes that Athena doesn't love him anymore and considered that she dumped him makes me think that he didn't understand the situation at all. It's really out of character for him to say that "Athena dumped him," since it was him who aborted her question, unless he really think that it was Athena who wanted to leave him.

And I think he really considered that the reason "10 years of separation" the truth because I don't think he would lie about it to Hina.

Edit: Whether intentionally or not, he was demeaning Athena with that statement alone. He'd better believe what he said was the truth.

Translations out on MH
Spoiler for Some translations:

Last edited by zodanhko; 2010-03-31 at 11:42.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 19:30   Link #6550
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
This is, basically, the line of reason behind my interpretation.
Well, in 265, since Athena used the past tense to describe her feelings for Hayate (purposely or not) I assumed Hayate accepted it as the reason for his explanation to Hinagiku when she asked. Backed by how dense Hayate normally is, it was a quick assumption. At least both of them has moved on, so this shouldn't be that up of an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Will we be seeing Athena back in Japan soon? ^.^
Maybe not soon, since mangakas normally leave out a character's return for quite a while so their impact upon their return are bigger. I'll say around 20-30 chapters or so but it can vary (how long was the gap between the EotW and Greece arc again?). If you were referring to the normal gap as soon, then I guess it will be soon.
Old 2010-03-31, 23:29   Link #6551
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Well, in 265, since Athena used the past tense to describe her feelings for Hayate (purposely or not) I assumed Hayate accepted it as the reason for his explanation to Hinagiku when she asked. Backed by how dense Hayate normally is, it was a quick assumption. At least both of them has moved on, so this shouldn't be that up of an issue.

Maybe not soon, since mangakas normally leave out a character's return for quite a while so their impact upon their return are bigger. I'll say around 20-30 chapters or so but it can vary (how long was the gap between the EotW and Greece arc again?). If you were referring to the normal gap as soon, then I guess it will be soon.
So then... can someone notify me when she actually returns? I dont feel like reading aimless gags for now
indr0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:48   Link #6552
Isekaijin

Yes!! I knew they wouldn't get rid of Athena that easily!!

Boy, I expect great things from the new semester.
Isekaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 01:30   Link #6553
Gambino009
Phantom

Spoiler:

Which ultimately... goes back to the Harem, and you know where that leads to. OPEN ENDING

I'm getting tired of this Harem deal...
Gambino009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 02:18   Link #6554
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just a message to my fellow shipmates regarding ch266...

I told you so!

Seriously, don't lose hope so easily. I'm telling you guys right now, Athena would either be the final rival-in-love in the case she doesn't win, or she would in fact be the winner if there is one. The authour could've removed her from the picture entirely (ala I''s), but the authour still gives Athena the 'threat' of coming back into the main picture, and its a pretty damn BIG threat at that. Clearly, this is either to save her as the 'final boss' for some other girl's romance with Hayate, or its because the authour wants to leave the winner for the last. And with Nagi's comment of 'To forgive and to be forgiven is what binds people together', I'm much more inclined to think the latter.

Really, I don't take my declaring 'all ins' lightly; I think last time I declared it was Cross Game last year at manga chapter 120'ish (out of 160 FYI), and Xam halfway through the series the year before that. I don't do it unless I'm really REALLY confident; in that my logical side starts to fully agree with shippy side, which isn't all too often. So I guess what I'm saying is that... believe in me who believes in the success of the ship? lol

Granted, Athena's win is by no means definite; I am not the authour after all. But so far, she's shown the most promise out of any of the girls in Hayate's harem, by far and away. So yes, you have to keep the faith in the ship, mateys! Right till the very end.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 03:23   Link #6555
Mentar
Banned

Heh... okay, after finally reading the chapter directly instead of using secondary sources, I have to revise my earlier interpretation. The "giving it back to you" was referring to the HAT, not the ring case. Also, the animation and sparkle in Athena's eyes give the end a completely different twist.

I know it will earn me the scorn of the Athena faction, but I feel compelled to say it anyway: This chapter essentially slapped me with a message of "How could you have believed Athena the chapters before? You should have known better!" - and indeed, I should have. But 266 showed Athena exactly the way I have seen her before: Whimsical capricious drama queen who easily goes to extremes, and who in no time forgets/ignores what she dramatically announced a few moments earlier.

Her "thank you" to Nagi (who couldn't know what for) was not heartfelt, but fake. It was mere lip service, accompanied with an unsavory challenge to Nagi via ring box: The best (the ring) is mine already, and I'll be coming for the rest later. Handing a seemingly worthless item this way is mocking. In my book, the message is: The best (Hayate's love) is mine already, and I'll be coming for the rest (Hayate himself) later. Hold on to the box (him) till I claim it (him), you clueless peasant. The same indicators of mighty arrogant dominating possessiveness towards Hayate resurface here which had already rubbed me the wrong way in the childhood EotW chapter. And with a chuckle to Machina, she announces her intention to return to Japan now.

Sooo - a question to all you A-tan shippers: What has happened to your goddess? Did she have a change of heart barely 1 day after, or was the whole pathos-filled "Go back to your mistress" completely fake to begin with?

Anyway, let's see how this story continues. But I can already predict that if Hayate (who considers himself dumped) in fact does start anything romantic with any other girl just to jump back to Athena when she resurfaces, I'll drop this manga like a hot potato, in disgust ^_^;

So, for now, let's see if this is a bone Hata was throwing a bone to the mourning Athena faction to keep it on board, or if it was a harbinger to Athena undermining Nagi in the future. If it's the latter, this chapter might very well be the rubicon where Athena enters the lineup of antagonists for me.

Last edited by Mentar; 2010-04-01 at 03:55.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 05:05   Link #6556
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Problem, Mentar? HAhahahahaa..

Anyway, my interpretation was that she referred to Hayate as "THAT", and not either the ring case, or the hat.

Athena is good as she is. I can't wait to hear you whine after she wins in the end. Well, it's not like I'll read that post of yours anyway.. hahaha...
Old 2010-04-01, 06:37   Link #6557
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Nagi and Athena really look like sisters during that meeting. On a sidenote, Athena is really short even when wearing heels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Heh... okay, after finally reading the chapter directly instead of using secondary sources, I have to revise my earlier interpretation. The "giving it back to you" was referring to the HAT, not the ring case. Also, the animation and sparkle in Athena's eyes give the end a completely different twist.
I don't think it was the hat. If it was the hat, she should've said this (kore) instead of that (sore). I know its those grammar/vocabulary that aren't too fit to prove as backup, but I doubt Athena even knows the hat was a valuable "gift" from Hayate to Nagi (it occured during the time travel).
Quote:
Her "thank you" to Nagi (who couldn't know what for) was not heartfelt, but fake. It was mere lip service, accompanied with an unsavory challenge to Nagi via ring box: The best (the ring) is mine already, and I'll be coming for the rest later. Handing a seemingly worthless item this way is mocking. In my book, the message is: The best (Hayate's love) is mine already, and I'll be coming for the rest (Hayate himself) later. Hold on to the box (him) till I claim it (him), you clueless peasant. The same indicators of mighty arrogant dominating possessiveness towards Hayate resurface here which had already rubbed me the wrong way in the childhood EotW chapter. And with a chuckle to Machina, she announces her intention to return to Japan now.
Wow, really nice interpretations. I don't take those scene seriously (especially since this manga is starting to go back in to comedy) so a deep meaning interpretation interests me. Although, I doubt alot of people will agree with you.

Last edited by Koroshiya_Kame_13; 2010-04-01 at 06:48.
Old 2010-04-01, 07:05   Link #6558
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
I don't think it was the hat. If it was the hat, she should've said this (kore) instead of that (sore). I know its those grammar/vocabulary that aren't too fit to prove as backup, but I doubt Athena even knows the hat was a valuable "gift" from Hayate to Nagi (it occured during the time travel).
That's not what I wanted to say, maybe I worded it wrongly. Naturally, the _implied_ meaning of the "give it back" refers to Hayate, but from Nagi's point of view, it clearly refers to the hat. She doesn't know and cannot know what Athena is really talking about, other than the immediate hat action. And she has no point in really inquiring.

Quote:
Wow, really nice interpretations. I don't take those scene seriously (especially since this manga is starting to go back in to comedy) so a deep meaning interpretation interests me. Although, I doubt alot of people will agree with you.
I know already that several A-tan fans do. But if you have a more credible interpretation for giving the worthless ring box to her while keeping the ring other than a "I'll be back and take that too" kind of challenge, I'd be interested in hearing it
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 07:57   Link #6559
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

The hat is a pure coincidence. It's a way for them to meet. Athena is referring to Hayate as an item, as "THAT", like I've already said. She phrased it that way, so that Nagi wouldn't understand right away that she's talking about Hayate. Whatever her reasons are for doing so is yet unknown, but it's probably a way Hata chose to stall things. Athena could have simply said Hayate's name, instead of toying around with that box.

As she said, she could have taken Hayate for herself if she performed a particular stunt (bawwing on her knees would do..), but she decided not to for his happiness, or whatever...

So basically, she's saying: I'm giving you Hayate back, I could have taken him, but besides wanting to preserve his happiness (though not even knowing, but assuming he's happier with them than with herself), I also wanted to repay my debt to you, and preserve yours as well (for breaking the gem and losing the inheritance). I won't do the same next time, if such an opportunity occurs, so keep your guard up if you want to have Hayate for yourself. That's all~

I believe the box to be a message to Hayate. The ring is missing, so he may think that she took it, and didn't give up on him quite yet. Now it depends when, and if he'll even discover it.

Perhaps I should start reading everyone's posts... *sigh*

So lazy... haha...

Eh, whatever~
Old 2010-04-01, 08:04   Link #6560
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
I know it will earn me the scorn of the Athena faction, but I feel compelled to say it anyway: This chapter essentially slapped me with a message of "How could you have believed Athena the chapters before? You should have known better!" - and indeed, I should have. But 266 showed Athena exactly the way I have seen her before: Whimsical capricious drama queen who easily goes to extremes, and who in no time forgets/ignores what she dramatically announced a few moments earlier.
well, if you want to interpret her words literally, she said "Im not returning to Japan WITH YOU". She never said "Im never returning to Japan", so she isnt really ignoring her own words. We dont know what she will do in japan when she gets there so we can't judge her unfairly yet.

Quote:
You must have REALLLY been hurt by Athena's appearance if such actions manage to change your overall views on her so negatively so fast.
Why wouldnt her thank be genuine? The way you describe her challenge is spot on, she probably does plan to claim back Hayate in the fufure, but I honestly dont know why you would think she would belittle Nagi's person like that..."you little peasant"? really? I dont know where you got this image of her, I do not remember ever seeing Athena as the kid of person to mock her opponents as something inferior, and no...MIDAS-Athena vs Isumi does not count because it wasnt really her. So while I do not disagree much with your explanation, the way you are interpreting them is just a little too biased and negative in my view. Also im not going to get into the whole "possessive girlfriend" argument again because its not that uncommon of a trait for someone who is with someone who relates with A LOT of girls if you think about it, jealousy happens and its not a bad trait.

Now, with that said, I'll give you a different interpretation. The reason Athena returns Hayate back was BECAUSE she was truly thankful to Nagi. If you think about it she could've easily persuaded him to stay right there and then, but she promised not to hurt Hayate and by that she means not hurt Hayate by hurting Nagi. Not takig Hayate away from Nagi is her way of thanks, the love rival's way. She mentioned the situation is not like 10 years ago, Hayate now has people that care for him, its not just the 2 of them anymore, so giving Hayate to Nagi, but keeping the ring is her way to "level the playing field". Instead of "disregard everyone, acquire Hayate" and pretty much slapping everyone who care for Hayate in the face, by going to Japan on her own, and with Hayate now in the mindset that he has been dumped, she can slowly sip into the group of people that love Hayate and that way if she does manage to win him over...it will no longer come as an ambush to everyone around him. If you think about it its pretty much the only way for her to "claim back" Hayate without taking him right now that their feelings are still fresh. Of course I dont expect her to take action any time soon, because at this point it would be "too easy".

Quote:
Sooo - a question to all you A-tan shippers: What has happened to your goddess? Did she have a change of heart barely 1 day after, or was the whole pathos-filled "Go back to your mistress" completely fake to begin with?
I think I covered that above, none apply

Quote:
Anyway, let's see how this story continues. But I can already predict that if Hayate (who considers himself dumped) in fact does start anything romantic with any other girl just to jump back to Athena when she resurfaces, I'll drop this manga like a hot potato, in disgust ^_^;
If developed wrong it would be quite a bad move, but if done well it would be glorious...and personally if something like this would make you drop the series, then you should be in more shipping wars because this is not really the worst theres been. I guess im used to this atmosphere now....

Anyways....with everything said, I dont think you should jump to conclusions so far mentar...no one knows what and when Athena will actually show up on Japan, so save your negative views on her until she actually takes some sort of action next time
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen