AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-06-14, 04:20   Link #21
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Given the hostility of the sister and initially cold nature of the guy, I imagine it would be more like Ancient Magus Bride rather than Snow White With The Red Hair.
Other people's initial reaction is yet another Cinderella. The girl is poor and the guy is rich. It takes place in the short-lived economic boom of Japan, before WWII.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-14, 15:13   Link #22
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Other people's initial reaction is yet another Cinderella. The girl is poor and the guy is rich.
So many of these shoujo stories start out with a "plain jane" and untalented female lead who is picked on by everyone she knows until her Prince Charming comes and sweeps her off her feet to "happily ever after." I'd like to think that this story won't be falling into that tired old trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
It takes place in the short-lived economic boom of Japan, before WWII.
The Taisho era of Japan was like the 1920s of America, a boom period, but sadly Japan's short-lived liberalization would soon give way to the ultranationalist fascism of the 1930s and 1940s. I wonder if this anime series will give us some background as to whether or not the same trend towards fascism will be shown in this show's timeline. I remember a much older manga and anime series, Haikara-san ga Tooru or Here Comes Miss Modern dealing with the same time period and transition, so it's been done before.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-04, 10:31   Link #23
Mazryonh

The third PV for the series just came out.

Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 13:30   Link #24
Blaat

I really enjoyed the first episode to a point where I'm dreading watching the rest of the series (will it be as good? I have my doubts) What was shocking it had some show don't tell scenes, which for a LN adaptation is practically unheard of.
Old 2023-07-05, 16:58   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The first episode was pretty much Cinderella in Japan, so not much to say about it. Animation, voice acting, and atmosphere were all really good. I liked it but the real test will be the next episode, now that Cinderella has met her "prince".
Old 2023-07-05, 19:08   Link #26
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
The "Cinderella" comparisons is pretty much accurate. Girl that gets crapped on gets set up with cold, cool bishounen char; a tale as old as time. Honestly, when a character like this feels like they are getting hate and cruelty just for the sake of drama, it feels kinda empty. So while I can sympathize with the lead(Miyo), I don't actually feel it, if you know what I mean. The situation was probably a very realistic one, given the era the story is being depicted in, but it just feels exaggerated here. For one reason or another, I thought of Bibliophile Princess's 1st episode; the ostracization felt much more organic and believable from the perspective of the protagonist(Eli) and thus, could feel for the char better. Still, this was pretty much a setup episode; like Kanon said, how the dynamic between the two leads will be the actual strength of the series. Hopefully it is engaging enough to keep my interests.

One insignificant detail that I liked what how the other caretakers neither ostracized, nor coddled Miyo. They still showed respect, but didn't go out of their way to give her preferential treatment. Even the main caretaker lady that gave her the food on her departure; usually this kind of character "backs" the main protagonist's endeavors, but here, she is just doing her job of taking care of the master's family; nothing more or less. The stern and professional demeanor she displayed during that scene really stood out to me. Compare that to the older lady in the Kido(?) house; def fits that archetype I explained before. I don't see this as being a negative thing though, considering her brighter personality seems to be there to counterbalance the male lead.

Also, Miyo's dad and stepmother have dark hair; the sister has blonde. Makes me wonder there ��....

Last edited by frubam; 2023-07-05 at 19:19. Reason: added stuffs
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 19:12   Link #27
Frontier

Reina Ueda plays a Cinderella story out in Taisho (?) era Japan with gorgeous visuals, atmosphere, OST, and voice acting !

It really just sucks for Miyo. She was such a cute child with a close relationship with her mother but then she dies and in comes the step-family...her father seemed to feel bad for the loss of her mother and the grief she went through, but then when the new family came in and he got a new daughter completely wrote her off or stopped caring for her. I mean, making your own daughter a servant and treating your previous marriage like old history? Come on, dude !

It's always kind of fun to watch Ayaneru be a total B-word, and Kaya is the kind of haughty and flashy girl you love to hate, although even "love" might be a stretch because the more she drives home how much she's intentionally messing with her half-sister really makes you loathe her. And Kana Ueda as her mother isn't much better .

The only salvation in Miyo's life is her budding courtship with Koji, but even that gets twisted when he gets betrothed to Kaya, yet another thing she's lost but is too numb from years of abuse to really even feel bad about. And Koji feels awful for not being able to be there for Miyo, and will probably be miserable married to Kaya .

Although interestingly his dad's idea was to betrothed her to someone related to Koji, because he acknowledged Miyo needed to get out of that house, but then she ended up betrothed to someone else. Did Kiyoka intentionally seek Miyo out for some reason ?

Yurie seems like the kind of lively and energetic woman that will brighten up the show and both her master and mistress. Plus, is that Houko Kuwashima I hear ?

Kiyoka definitely is a breathtaking beauty of a man, and voiced effectively by Kaito Ishikawa, and I'm curious if the reason he didn't want Miyo to bow her head is because he didn't want to see her treating herself like a servant or someone who needs to lower her head to her spouse ?

Last edited by Frontier; 2023-07-05 at 20:19.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 19:25   Link #28
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

I wasn't sure what to expect but this is really promising. Thankfully Netflix finally figured out simulcasting.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 20:42   Link #29
grecefar

there was a lots of wrong and things I really disliked in the first chapter but not for the story. It's just that I was really pissed with the mistreat and the attitude of the family, it was even worse that her father seems to have liked her mother but then went a started to act like an stupid idiot.

well I just hope the worst is already over and if we get to see her family again is just to see karma working her magic.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 20:58   Link #30
Alchemist007
*Author

Pretty show with nice music. The plot setup is pretty average but we got the point quickly in one episode at least. We can see why Miyo is pitiable, if quite melodramatically, but the one I feel sorry for by the end is the guy marrying her half sister.
Old 2023-07-05, 21:27   Link #31
Xeiros

With no knowledge of its production, I’m tentatively optimistic regarding My Happy Marriage’s scheduling mainly due to it being the only show this season to receive a simuldub that actually lives up to the words that derive it.

Despite the word simultaneous meaning at the same time, in reality the bulk of broadcast dubs are at best three weeks behind the Japanese broadcast. Producing a dub requires a good deal more work and time than subtitles do.

To produce one such that it is ready at the same time the show source language version airs means the production itself must be quite healthy indeed so as to provide the necessary materials to make such a turnover possible.
Old 2023-07-05, 22:52   Link #32
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-06, 15:34   Link #33
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

The episode was really sad. I cried multiple times.
Old 2023-07-11, 09:21   Link #34
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It hit most of the notes I wanted it to in this opening. But one thing I think ep1 could really have benefitted from is saying why the Saimori family shunned Miyo so much. In the PVs, it clearly showed why. Those going in completely blind will think it's merely people being jerks, when there is a better reason as to why. Hope they don't leave that one hanging for too long.

But as for what it did - the general gentle mix of melancholy and optimism in the music (Evan Call wins yet again). How utterly on point Reina Ueda was with her voice acting. The general crushing of any optimism Miyo had for anything leading up to the final minute. It worked. Keen for the next ep.
Old 2023-07-12, 10:12   Link #35
Frontier

You thought this was just a retro Japanese Cinderella story, but it turns out there's a Supernatural aspect to this series with Grotesquerie monsters and people with powers...and Miyo apparently not having any while Kaya did is why her family basically wrote her off and treated her like nothing. Though, harsh as he is, Kiyoka seems to want her to see genuine value in herself and not as someone out to please others just so she can belong .

The OP is as beautiful as the rest of the series, with a pleasant and serene theme playing as Miyo lives out her titular happy marriage with Kiyoka and overcomes her trauma to race to be with him !

Poor Miyo. Girl thought she was doing her first good thing and the household and Kiyoka's unease around strangers made him claim she might be poisnoing him. It's tough being engaged to a cold tsundere .

The soldiers talking about how they're preparing for fighting Grotesqueries even though they never appear is basically just confirming they will appear at some point .

So Kiyoka isn't just an ice king in looks, he has cryokinesis. And pyrokinesis too, it seems. Also here's Hiro Shimono as his sassy number 2 who also teases him about his love life .

Thank goodness for Yurie, though! So far she's doing a great job of easing Miyo into this and supporting her and helping her understand that Kiyoka is just a tsundere who talks harsher than he is. And she was able to get through to Kiyoka so he could be a little more welcoming/accepting of Miyo and help these two reach an emotional breakthrough .

"Daughter of that conniving thief." So was Kanoko after Miyo's father for a while and was only held off because of Miyo's mother ?

I didn't think they could double down on how bad Miyo's family is until they show the time she stood up to her stepmother after realizing they threw out all her mothers' things. I mean, locking her up, crushing her mothers' comb, and her father watched all this and did nothing? Even when she begged for his help? Are you kidding me? And as if to add insult to injury they fired the one servant who she was closest too .

The couples' first true breakfast as future husband and wife! And it actually goes well! The smile on Miyo's face when she feels accepted and is actually thanked (not to mention Kiyoka actually apologizing) is everything! And Kiyoka is realizing that Miyo is a sincere and genuine person and not after his family name .

Koji is all smiles and pleasantness but he seems miserable with the Saimori's. And he's still thinking about Miyo and what he can do with her. But is he prepared for if she doesn't get kicked out and is actually happy with Kiyoka ?

I did think it was kind of weird that Koji's dad talked about Miyo marrying his brother, so why did she end up with the Kudo's? And is Miyo special through her mothers' bloodline? Was her father strategically marrying her off ?

So Kiyoka doesn't know anything about Miyo or the Saimori's? How did this engagement come about, again? It seems like he's going to be looking into what happened and how they've treated her...Miyo seems certain he'll throw her out when he finds out she has no value compared to Kaya, but honestly he'll probably be absolutely incensed at how the family treated her .

The ED is very nice with a stylized depiction of Miyo walking through her new home through the seasons and with yet another pleasant theme. And ending, of course, on her and Kiyoka walking together .
Old 2023-07-12, 10:20   Link #36
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The supernatural aspects were already shown in the PVs. But for anyone who didn't see them, it is new knowledge. And it is a relief they didn't wait any longer to let this aspect slip, since it makes the dynamics of the Saimori family make a lot more sense given the times of the setting.
Old 2023-07-12, 13:07   Link #37
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I'm curious: is this thing ACTUALLY a Happy Marriage, plus the new supernatural elements that have been thrown in?

I'm always suspicious of these happy-sounding titles, only for them to turn out to be a totally sarcastic way of naming the showing. Though I suppose that technically, this is usually more of an issue with some yuri titles.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-12, 14:24   Link #38
EroKing

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-07-12, 17:16   Link #39
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
But one thing I think ep1 could really have benefitted from is saying why the Saimori family shunned Miyo so much. In the PVs, it clearly showed why. Those going in completely blind will think it's merely people being jerks, when there is a better reason as to why. Hope they don't leave that one hanging for too long.
to be honest I don't care what reason they had to mistreat her after the flashback, the family deserves to be wiped out and it seems that it will go that way since kudo is now looking into it and there was the phone call at the end and it looks like the father messed up and I hope it bites his ass badly.

I didn't expect the supernatural, it's a nice touch.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-12, 17:54   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The supernatural aspect blindsided me. It made it clear Miyo's dad only cared about having an heir with powers. It seems like Miyo's mother was from a prestigious family so he most likely married her hoping to produce a strong child, he never loved her nor Miyo. He's a complete and utter asshole.

Thankfully now Miyo is free from his grasp. She's treated a lot better now, in huge part thanks to Yurie who is a super nice lady. The husband comes across as harsh but he's just tired of gold diggers, he's already realized that Miyo is very different. He isn't dumb and can tell Miyo has been abused, and it looks like he's going to seek justice. Good!