AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-10-10, 04:27   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1095 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay guys, let's do this! Credit goes to Redon and co. for info:

-Chapter title is "A world in which it's better to die than live". Splash features Buggy.

-The vice admirals intend to back up Saturn, but he tells them to hold their position, as he could have easily dodged Bonney's attack if he wanted. As proof, his wounds instantly heal after pulling out the sword! The elder then makes his move, as he unleashes a strange aura from his eyes, which wound both Bonney and Sanji! Next, after seeing an immobilized Kizaru, Saturn decides to target the weakened Luffy next, as he prepares to crush him.....

-....But he ends up getting blocked by Franky! Everyone is unable to move, which Vegapunk surmises is because of Saturn's DF power. He then proceeds to grab Bonney, who accuses him of killing her father! A brief flashback shows Kuma telling her the tale of Nika, even recreating the drum music for her. He tells her that he too wishes to be a hero of liberation like Nika was. Back in the present, Saturn reveals that Kuma is part of the Buccaneer race, who have committed a grave crime in the past. Apparently, the Buccaneer people carry the blood of the giant race, which gives them their great strength. It's here that another flashback begins.....

-47 years ago, in the Sorbet kingdom, Kuma was born into an average family. His father was a Buccaneer, while his mother was a normal human. Unfortunately, the hospital's records of Kuma's lineage end up getting leaked to the WG, and soon his entire family gets captured and forced into slavery at Mariejois! Some time later, after his mother's death, Kuma's father recites the tale of Nika to him, which was passed down through their clan..... but he, too, ends up getting killed by the Celestial Dragons shortly afterward.

-Nine years later (or 38 years ago), we learn that the CDs hold a special competition every three years.... a literal human hunting game. Basically, they choose a non-WG affiliated island to hold their sick game, release their most problematic slaves, then proceed to hunt them down like animals! Even worse, they make sure to hunt down the rest of the island's native population, as well! After finishing their twisted competition, the government then proceeds to annex the islands for themselves. The island they chose this particular year was a certain island in West Blue..... known as God Valley. The original king of the island protested their ritual, but in response he ends up getting slain..... bu none other than a younger Figarland Garling (who we were introduced to back in chapter 1086). Apparently, he looked just about identical to Shanks back then, with the exception of his hair (which still has the crescent moon style).

-Saturn is also present at God Valley (who's noted to look identical to his present self). He gets told that the child Buccaneer slave who tried to escape was recaptured. It's here at the end of the chapter that we see the young Kuma. He's not the only child slave present either, as there's also a girl named Ginny (or Jinny?), and.... a young EMPORIO IVANKOV!!! Yes. it turns out that the future revolutionaries first met at the land of God Valley....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-10-18 at 15:55.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-10, 12:18   Link #2
Gerard07

Given the spoilers, it seems we will finally have more information about Kuma, as well as about Garling (and maybe about his family), and about the island of God Valley I assumed it was in Grand Line/New World (my mistake), the bad thing is that there is no chapter next week, but hey, Oda will have his reasons, let's wait for more spoilers!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-10, 12:33   Link #3
grecefar

I think kuma is one the most tragic characters in all manga and anime.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-10, 17:16   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Ivankov and Kuma were pretty much childhood friends. No wonder it broke his heart to see him turned into a mindless machine.

The next few chapters are going to be HUGE if the God Valley incident is actually shown to us in full.
Old 2023-10-10, 18:06   Link #5
marvelB

Updated summary is out. Damn, there is a LOT to take from this chapter. Just when you think the Celestial Dragons can't sink sink any lower, here's Oda to prove us wrong again, lol. Speaking of, I suppose Figarland is being set up as one of the final enemies...?

Anyway, Kuma's past is most tragic, yet I can't call it uninteresting, either.... especially now that we know both him AND Ivankov are connected to God Valley. And now we learned of this "Buccaneer" race.... you know, as odd as this may sound, I have to wonder if perhaps Saul is one of those Buccaneers? Apparently, they're giants, and the fact that Kuma's dad knew of the Nika legend is most curious to me..... it also reminds me of when Saul told Robin that his "D" name was passed down through generations of his clan. I know it sounds like a stretch, but.... connection, perhaps?
Old 2023-10-11, 10:52   Link #6
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
With everything we have going on now, and ESPECIALLY these most recent chapters, I'm starting to wonder if Oda has what I call Kingdom Hearts syndrome.

Short Version, if you're not familiar with the Kingdom Hearts games: it took YEARS for Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released after 1 and 2 were other pretty close... because Nomura (I think he was the one in charge of the franchise) realized/ wanted to tell all the little details and backstories of characters that never showed up in KH 1 &2, but would have a major impact on 3. So instead of the main title 3, we got a bunch of various side games explaining the lore for about a decade.

I feel like Oda is doing the same thing: he's got so much lore and ground to cover (Void Century, God Valley, Celestial Dragons, Imu, the Giant races... the list goes on and I think you get the idea) thaat it feels like he's dragging the story at this point to try to balance both present-day events and all the One Piece lore. I will first fully say that I tend to binge chapters... and at this point, I'd rather they just conclude present-day business at Egghead, and THEN go full HxH infodump mode so we can finally get some damn answers to all these things Oda's been teasing for years.

Then again, I feel like Oda is also just barely coming up with the ideas and hasn't fleshed out as much of the lore as we'd all like to think...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-11, 13:23   Link #7
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Given the spoilers, it seems we will finally have more information about Kuma, as well as about Garling (and maybe about his family), and about the island of God Valley I assumed it was in Grand Line/New World (my mistake), the bad thing is that there is no chapter next week, but hey, Oda will have his reasons, let's wait for more spoilers!.
Oda’s reasons are that it takes six-nine months for an eye surgery to fully restore your eyesight. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
With everything we have going on now, and ESPECIALLY these most recent chapters, I'm starting to wonder if Oda has what I call Kingdom Hearts syndrome.

Short Version, if you're not familiar with the Kingdom Hearts games: it took YEARS for Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released after 1 and 2 were other pretty close... because Nomura (I think he was the one in charge of the franchise) realized/ wanted to tell all the little details and backstories of characters that never showed up in KH 1 &2, but would have a major impact on 3. So instead of the main title 3, we got a bunch of various side games explaining the lore for about a decade.

I feel like Oda is doing the same thing: he's got so much lore and ground to cover (Void Century, God Valley, Celestial Dragons, Imu, the Giant races... the list goes on and I think you get the idea) thaat it feels like he's dragging the story at this point to try to balance both present-day events and all the One Piece lore. I will first fully say that I tend to binge chapters... and at this point, I'd rather they just conclude present-day business at Egghead, and THEN go full HxH infodump mode so we can finally get some damn answers to all these things Oda's been teasing for years.

Then again, I feel like Oda is also just barely coming up with the ideas and hasn't fleshed out as much of the lore as we'd all like to think...
Or maybe he has and you are just being contrarian. And technically, the reason we are getting this flashback now as opposed to after egghead is because Bonny literally just saw Kuma’s memories a little while ago, which as we are now seeing, heavily involved the God’s Valley incident.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-11, 14:45   Link #8
Rainbowman

Looks like we’re having another long flashback. This time it’s focused on Barty Kuma and possibly little baby Bonney. Poor Sanji’s homophobia will most likely prevent him from understanding this painful history. 😏
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-12, 00:24   Link #9
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
Oda’s reasons are that it takes six-nine months for an eye surgery to fully restore your eyesight. Look it up..
I see that makes sense, thanks!

Looking at the chapter, Saturn seems to have some very broken abilities (I would have liked Sanji to have hit him but I guess that's for later), and we jump to a flashback where we saw a little about Kuma, about his special. race and the fact that he knew Nika, as well as the twisted games of the Tenryuubitos (hopefully the Rock Pirates will appear soon and teach them a lesson) and we saw a young Garling (he must be Shanks's father or relative), and at the end Ivankov and Ginny appeared (I guess she is Bonney's mother), and although we will have to wait for the next chapter, it is inevitable since Oda does it for her health, be patient and wait!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 11:19   Link #10
Kaz_

Dude went Revolutionary, then piracy (Successfull one too, considering Tyrant nickname and Warlords invitation) and then landed back at WG lap even after all that trauma they inflicted upon him.

I say hold your tears his family getting slaughtered and enslaved may be the happy part of Kuma's story's lol, its probably only getting worse from here with Bonney.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 12:04   Link #11
grecefar

maybe is the haircut but I don't see the resemblance between figarland and shanks.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-18, 16:20   Link #12
marvelB

BTW, I didn't have time to bring it up in the last chapter thread, but I freaking love Saturn's hybrid form. He really does look like a mysterious, intimidating threat. Really interested in learning how those demonic powers of his work, as well....

....And while we're on the subject of Saturn, what stood out to me most this chapter is the fact that his past self from the flashback literally looks no different from his present self..... which I feel reinforces the theory that all 5 elders, not just Imu, are "immortal". Plus, the fact that it's taboo for lower-ranking marines to gaze directly at him (with one of the grunts even commenting that he only ever saw a picture of Saturn in portraits) definitely seems to imply that the elders have very limited public exposure..... which would definitely explain how they could have maintained their cover if they've truly been ruling the WG for several centuries. I mean, keeping the masses deaf, blind, and dumb as to the identity of their overseers would definitely prevent any potential troublemakers from questioning how the same group of people could have maintained power for so long......

Oh, and on another note, I'm already seeing people jumping to the conclusion that Ginny may be Luffy's mother. Personally, I find that kind of a big stretch (er, no pun intended ) since I don't really see much of a resemblance aside from her munching on a hunk of meat.... which isn't a trait exclusive to Luffy, anyway. If anything, she'll probably turn out to be Bonney's mother. I mean, does she not also have a voracious appetite?
Old 2023-10-24, 11:38   Link #13
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
So there's 2 weeks of break?
Old 2023-10-24, 14:04   Link #14
marvelB

^Nope, no break this week. The fun continues here!