AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-04-03, 18:07   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1080 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's get to it! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for info:

-Chapter title is "The Legendary Hero". Splash features Hiyori and Kawamatsu.

-Interestingly, this ENTIRE chapter takes place in the pirate's island of Hachinosu (aka Beehive/Fullalead). It begins with Coby leading a group of prisoners to their escape! We learn in a brief flashback that the one who first busted out Coby was none other than Perona! However, she only agreed to free him in exchange for his help freeing Moria, who's being held in a deeper level. He agrees, and rescues other prisoners along the way. The various pirates of Hachinosu are chasing after the young marine, as Cross Guild is offering a 5-star bounty (equivalent to 500 million) for his capture! The reason he has such a high price on his head is because he's recognized as a hero among the marines....

-Surveying the situation are some of the commanders of the Blackbeard pirates: Avalo Pizarro, who has the Shima Shima (Island) no Mi, which makes him capable of manipulating the entire island! However, he doesn't want to get directly involved with the Coby situation. Next is Vasco Shot, who has the powers of the Gabu Gabu (Liquor) no Mi! Then there's San Juan Wolf, whose ability comes from the Deka Deka (Enlarge) no Mi, but he's asleep at the moment. Lastly, Shiryuu is there, as well. We learn in a flashback that Blackbeard had captured Coby in order to use him as leverage in negotiating with the World Government. He wants Hachinosu to be officially recognized as a kingdom, and he its ruler. However, both Coby and Kuzan (fka former admiral Aokiji) tell him that it's useless to use the young captain for hostage negotiation, as SWORD is a special unit comprised of marines who officially resigned from their posts. They can act without the WG's approval, and the marine HQ bears no responsibility for their actions. Still, despite being told this, Teach still feels that he can pull off his plan using Coby's "hero" title.

-Back in the present, SWORD arrives at Hachinosu and waste no time getting into action! First we see commander Hibari, a skilled sniper who uses special bullets made by Vegapunk that turns the enemies' ammunition into flowers (like the flower "weapons" we saw in the recent ministory). Next is rear admiral Kujaku (or Kuchaku), who's revealed to be vice admiral Tsuru's granddaughter. She wields the powers of the Muchi Muchi (Whip) no Mi, which allows her to command anything she whips, including buildings! And of course, there's rear admiral Prince Gross (or Grus), whose abilities come from the Gunyo Gunyo (Clay) no Mi! His power manipulates clay to the point that he can create golems!

-Finally, it's time for the legendary hero himself to join the fray: MONKEY D. GARP! Accompanying him on his ship are Helmeppo and Tashigi. The aged VA unleashes his wrath in the form of Galaxy Impact, a powerful punch attack that destroys the entire town! He lets the Blackbeard pirates know that the one they kidnapped not only represents the future of the marines, but is his beloved apprentice....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-04-06 at 16:14.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-03, 19:44   Link #2
Gerard07

Given the spoilers, apparently we will see that it is SWORD (I think it is a Navy unit NOT affiliated with the World Government) and Garp in action, I wonder if the old man will die..., no..., i think it has to do with Luffy one more time before doing it, and about Coby, I think Aokijo will end up interfering and helping Garp, but he will die and Coby will eat his fruit... well wait for more spoilers.
Question, why is there no chapter next week?.

Last edited by Gerard07; 2023-04-03 at 22:42.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-03, 23:01   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Given the spoilers, apparently we will see that it is SWORD (I think it is a Navy unit NOT affiliated with the World Government) and Garp in action, I wonder if the old man will die..., no..., i think it has to do with Luffy one more time before doing it, and about Coby, I think Aokijo will end up interfering and helping Garp, but he will die and Coby will eat his fruit... well wait for more spoilers.
Question, why is there no chapter next week?.
Apparently, could be Shueisha is taking a break next week instead of Oda.

After reading it, Garp may not be die easily. Given the circumstances, Aokiji could guide the SWORD to where they can rescue Coby with minimum casualties but also maximizing the engagement with Blackbeard Pirates.

For Kurohige to make WG recognize would not definitely work since he has to deal with Akainu first. If Kurohige can deal with Akainu, WG could be accept the terms based on fear.

I think some theory remain stands that Coby is the successor to become an Admiral, in which every fans want to see Coby and Luffy on the even grounds to compete. But, to become an Admiral, however, Coby needs to be promoted to Vice-Admiral and he needs to either remove Issho, Kizaru, or Ryokugyu from Admiral's seat. Perhaps he would follow Garp's pathway by staying as Vice Admiral all the time as well.

Looking forward to see Kujaku's first appearances, and I won't be surprised if the Trio Golden Lion generation (Sengoku, Garp, and Tsuru) were having their grand kids or protege in a single Spec Ops unit. Now we have Tsuru's granddaughter joins the Spec Ops, all that's left is Sengoku to release either his Protegee or grandchild.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-04, 16:28   Link #4
Kaz_

Sanji vs Vasco endgame battle confirmed. The legendary feast battle of Chef vs Bartender.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-04, 17:10   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Pizarro's power sounds like a copy-paste of Pica's. Blackbeard's plans for Koby make zero sense, but I guess it can be explained away as him being dumb.
Old 2023-04-04, 18:20   Link #6
Gerard07

Why does Kurohige want to found a country (and be recognized by the World Government) in the first place?, doesn't he want to be the Pirate King himself or does he want to use that country as a base to start conquering the world as Rocks?.
Old 2023-04-04, 18:54   Link #7
marvelB

Full summary's out! Huh, so it seems to be confirmed that Rocky Port was in Hachinosu all along. So that would mean that both Coby AND Law were at this island before during that incident. I also found it very interesting that all members of SWORD are officially ex-marines. So did Coby "officially" resign at some point after Rocky Port? Though knowing Oda, we'll probably have to wait for the SBS to answer questions like this, heh.

As for Blackbeard's motive for wanting to establish Hachinosu as an official kingdom.... one potential reason I can think of is that this is a plan similar to his warlord one: So he can have easier access to someplace that would be nigh-impossible for pirates to otherwise infiltrate. Since he pretty much had a free pass to Impel Down as a warlord, I'm assuming that becoming an official king would grant him free access to a place like... oh say, Mariejois? Yeah, he was able to go there during his warlord days, but I think that was only through a government summons. However, he should have much more free reign to visit the holy land whenever he wants as a king, thus giving him more chances to steal whatever secrets it may hide....

Oh, and I like how Tsuru's granddaughter's power basically makes her a dominatrix.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-04, 22:27   Link #8
Rainbowman

Another chapter that doesn’t focus on Egghead Island but the new Devil Fruits makes up for it.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-05, 01:21   Link #9
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Full summary's out! Huh, so it seems to be confirmed that Rocky Port was in Hachinosu all along. So that would mean that both Coby AND Law were at this island before during that incident. I also found it very interesting that all members of SWORD are officially ex-marines. So did Coby "officially" resign at some point after Rocky Port? Though knowing Oda, we'll probably have to wait for the SBS to answer questions like this, heh.

As for Blackbeard's motive for wanting to establish Hachinosu as an official kingdom.... one potential reason I can think of is that this is a plan similar to his warlord one: So he can have easier access to someplace that would be nigh-impossible for pirates to otherwise infiltrate. Since he pretty much had a free pass to Impel Down as a warlord, I'm assuming that becoming an official king would grant him free access to a place like... oh say, Mariejois? Yeah, he was able to go there during his warlord days, but I think that was only through a government summons. However, he should have much more free reign to visit the holy land whenever he wants as a king, thus giving him more chances to steal whatever secrets it may hide....

Oh, and I like how Tsuru's granddaughter's power basically makes her a dominatrix.
I'm more incline toward the Marines were like going some of the Black or Spec Ops, which could be under someone's jurisdiction (Which I doubt Akainu would supervise it), but my guess would be Sengoku, Garp, and Tsuru were overseeing the SWORD.

It's not common for someone to resign on the surface only to remain active in actual. Doflamingo's resignation as Shichibukai is an example to make a ruse.

From this chapter, we may have some reminiscence on how Wapol established his Kingdom and probably Blackbeard wants to repeat what Wapol did.
Old 2023-04-05, 06:28   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I suspect that's his plan, but there's no way that would work. We don't know what Koby did to be considered a hero, but the Elders will never recognize Blackbeard as King simply because he has him as a hostage. Koby's life mean nothing to them. On the other hand, he may have a better chance if he can capture Garp, who is the greatest hero the marines have ever known.
Old 2023-04-05, 18:01   Link #11
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I suspect that's his plan, but there's no way that would work. We don't know what Koby did to be considered a hero, but the Elders will never recognize Blackbeard as King simply because he has him as a hostage. Koby's life mean nothing to them. On the other hand, he may have a better chance if he can capture Garp, who is the greatest hero the marines have ever known.
Hmm, I feel like the Goroise elders would be happy to get rid of Garp and I wouldn't be surprised if they take this opportunity to get rid of him (if they want to get rid of Vegapunk, why not also Garp who has always been a sailor who ignores them? ).
What comes to my mind now is that Kurohige wants to become a World Government recognized King because he somehow found out about Imp's existence and wants to get closer to him somehow.
Old 2023-04-06, 15:51   Link #12
grecefar

I'm starting to think that being without a fruit is better... garp is a monster.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 17:49   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I'm starting to think that being without a fruit is better... garp is a monster.
Being a hakiman and a DF user aren't mutually exclusive. As Lucci once said once upon a time, there is no demerit to eating a DF (other than losing the ability to swim, obviously), you will always come out stronger one way or another. It's just important not to rely solely on it like most of the pirates of the first half of the Grand Line do.

In fact, how did Luffy win against Kaido? By awakening his DF. Relying on his haki only got him so far.
Old 2023-04-06, 20:55   Link #14
Gerard07

Having watched the chapter, some of the fruits of Kurohige's commanders were revealed, a bit about SWORD was explained and some members were seen, Coby almost gets rescued (and looks like he has a tsundere Waifu) and Garp appeared making a flashy entrance, The good thing for Garp is that Kurohige is not on the island (he is keeping Law company) so surely things will end well for him, it was a good chapter, although next week (again) there will be no chapter, well... the only thing left to do is wait for the next chapter.
Old 2023-04-06, 22:36   Link #15
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Nabbing Garp might very well be an unintentional one that he resorts to, which would serve him better the same way Ace's capture did (Teach did aim to capture Luffy at first, but Ace caught up to him). Then again, that's assuming he's even back on the Island (which he isn't at the moment, being preoccupied with Law elsewhere), but I wouldn't be surprised if Shiryu and the other Titanic Captains manage to do that for him.

And on the side, it appears Moria refused to join the ranks of Blackbeard's crew. Can't say I blame him since, scum or not, Absalom was still one of the big shallot's crew members and one of the few left he cared for (and likely does in turn; he did save his boss from being killed by Doflamingo before the time-skip).
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 23:30   Link #16
Ramero

Oh, you got to be kidding me. First time I saw Marines using Coup De Burst, and I think only Garp can do that. I look forward to seeing how Garp's ship can perform Coup De Burst in the Marines version.

I didn't expect Tashigi to join SWORD, but that would mean she's also on the Black Ops. After reading the chapter, I think it's safe to say that SWORD is akin to the CIA or an agency that runs Black Ops, iirc.
Old 2023-04-07, 06:32   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
Nabbing Garp might very well be an unintentional one that he resorts to, which would serve him better the same way Ace's capture did (Teach did aim to capture Luffy at first, but Ace caught up to him). Then again, that's assuming he's even back on the Island (which he isn't at the moment, being preoccupied with Law elsewhere), but I wouldn't be surprised if Shiryu and the other Titanic Captains manage to do that for him.

And on the side, it appears Moria refused to join the ranks of Blackbeard's crew. Can't say I blame him since, scum or not, Absalom was still one of the big shallot's crew members and one of the few left he cared for (and likely does in turn; he did save his boss from being killed by Doflamingo before the time-skip).
I think Garp getting captured is likely, but I'd be disappointed if the four of them were enough to beat him. My guess is he'll beat them but Blackbeard will return with the rest of his crew (minus the ones at Egghead) and Garp will stay behind to allow the others to escape.

The one I'm curious to see in action is Shiryu because I'm not sure how invisibility is supposed to be useful in the New World where people have observation haki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Oh, you got to be kidding me. First time I saw Marines using Coup De Burst, and I think only Garp can do that. I look forward to seeing how Garp's ship can perform Coup De Burst in the Marines version.
Pretty sure Garp just punches the air or something.
Old 2023-04-07, 08:28   Link #18
Ramero

Quote:
The one I'm curious to see in action is Shiryu because I'm not sure how invisibility is supposed to be useful in the New World where people have observation haki.
Or perhaps Shiryu could do concealment to a certain degree that could bypass Kenbunshoku Haki. Maybe we would see if the invisibility was awakened when Shiryu uses it against Garp.

Quote:
Pretty sure Garp just punches the air or something.
Nah, most likely he punches the sea. But, I wonder if his ship can take that launch and land damage, though? Unless his ship was modified to withstand such impact. I'm sure Garp learns it after Straw Hats escapes Water 7 right in front of him using Coup De Burst.
Old 2023-04-07, 20:37   Link #19
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

What a fun chapter.. it is been a while since we saw Marines coordinated attack.
Also I can't recall on why I saw Aokiji at Blackbeard's side.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-08, 21:57   Link #20
Gerard07

For a while now I have wondered; is that Shiryu is Zoro's presumed opponent when the Mugiwara face off against the Kurohige pirates in the future, will being invisible really help Shiryu to fight Zoro (which is user of Kenbunshoku haki)?, I thought Oda should To have given Shiryu a better Akuma not me... but hey, it's my opinion, we'll see what Oda does in the future.