AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-04-17, 16:59   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1081 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for info:

-Chapter title is "Captain of the Tenth Ship, Kuzan". Splash is a color page.

-The battle at Hachinosu continues! After Garp's attack from last chapter, Kuzan suddenly appears, and freezes Hibari solid! While Coby tends to her, the former admiral faces off against Garp.... alone. He reveals he used to be the aged VA's #1 apprentice, and followed his example of living freely.... which is why he joined Blackbeard. We then launch into a flashback, taking place one year after Kuzan's loss to Sakazuki at Punk Hazard. The Blackbeard pirates arrive at an island, only to find some of their members frozen (Wolf, Vasco, and Doc Q). However, Teach doesn't seem all that concerned about this, as he instead joins Kuzan for drinks at a bar, lol.

-Lafitte suggests that Teach should kill Kuzan and steal his power, but he instead invites the former admiral to join his crew! He then asks Kuzan about the mysterious "man with the burn scar". Apparently, this person has the last remaining Road Poneglyph, rides on a black ship, and is capable of creating whirlpools that sink any enemy ship chasing after him. Shiryuu brings up the possibility of the scarred man being someone affiliated with the government, since it wouldn't be out of the question for them to possess one of the Road Poneglyphs themselves in order to prevent pirates from reaching the One Piece. Kuzan, however, denies knowing anything about the scarred man, saying that the only familiarity he has with Poneglyphs are with those researched by Ohara.... and he claims to have never seen a red one.

-Back in the present, Garp vs. Kuzan continues! The former admiral tries to freeze the marine hero, but he easily gets countered as Garp smashes him through the ground! Meanwhile, we cut to Winner Island..... where Law has been defeated by Teach! The victor considers what to do with Law's DF power (either taking it for himself or selling it), when suddenly, Bepo springs into action! Here, we discover that the bear mink has been hiding a secret weapon: A special drug given to him by Chopper.... that allows him to transform into Sulong mode at anytime! In his transformed state, Bepo rescues his captain from BB's clutches before his power gets stolen, and escapes to the sea! Unfortunately, those two seem to be the only survivors, as the rest of the Heart Pirates and their ship have all been destroyed.... which the narration makes sure to point out to us readers.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-04-19 at 17:37.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-17, 17:13   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A bit surprised Kuzan was there. Garp has the upper hand for now, but it makes it more likely he will be defeated and become BB's new bargaining chip. Honestly, BB and his crew badly need some hype. Even now I'm finding it hard to see them as a threat. Defeating Law is a step in the right direction but when you consider the length he had to go to beat Law vs how Shanks defeated Kid, he doesn't come out looking too hot. And of course can't forget all those times in the past he was either outright defeated, pissed his pants, or just plain ran away in front of a strong opponent. His only real feat was beating Ace one on one, but it's not like Ace was all that strong.
Old 2023-04-17, 19:14   Link #3
Gerard07

Having seen the spoilers, Law was defeated by Kurohige T.T (although I still have hopes of what could happen to him), at least he put up more of a fight than Kid with Shanks, also soon we will have more information about "the man with the burn scar" (what possibly Saul) and a Kuzan vs. Garp, apparently the former is pretty serious about joining Kurohige since I thought he was possibly a member of SWORD, but hey, wait for more spoilers.
Question, why (again) is there no One Piece chapter?.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-18, 02:39   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Having seen the spoilers, Law was defeated by Kurohige T.T (although I still have hopes of what could happen to him), at least he put up more of a fight than Kid with Shanks, also soon we will have more information about "the man with the burn scar" (what possibly Saul) and a Kuzan vs. Garp, apparently the former is pretty serious about joining Kurohige since I thought he was possibly a member of SWORD, but hey, wait for more spoilers.
Question, why (again) is there no One Piece chapter?.
Next week would be Showa Day, which is a national holiday in Japan.

Hmm... After seeing it, I was thinking of something. What if Aokiji's crew were entirely SWORD members? Marines could be deserting after Aokiji resigns as an Admiral and Navy Officer from the Marines, and he takes them all to form a SWORD. In my theory, Aokiji would be likely the Commanding Officer of SWORD.

Not to mention, we saw the history of G-5, which has one of the brutal or ruthless methods when interrogating pirates. Marines with bad records could be either sent to Aokiji or G-5 after he resigns from the Navy.

We see Law engages Blackbeard's fleet briefly, but hopefully we got more details about what happened.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-18, 13:30   Link #5
Homura7

Kuzan is in Hachinosu, along with Shiryuu, Pizarro, Shot & Wolf.

Bleackbeard was accompanied by Burgess, Auger & Doc. Q

That makes 8 of his ten Titanic Captains.

With us haven already gotten a glimpse at Devon's DF nature and abilities, that leaves out only one and the most likely to be headed to Egghead, and not coincidentally he also happens to be the only Titanic Captain whose DF nature is still shrouded in mistery: Demon Sheriff Laffitte.

But I'm pretty certain he's not alone, and Devon is also there. A Buster Call is headed to Egghead with a fleet of 100 battleships lead by an Admiral and one of the Elders, and these two from the Blackbeard pirates can hypnotize and impersonate anyone. When we're talking about hundreds if not thousands of marines, this is a receipt for disaster.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-18, 22:06   Link #6
marvelB

Summary updated! Some pretty interesting info this chapter.... though, at the same time, it seems like Oda's intent with Shiryuu's theory about the scarred man is to introduce a red herring to throw us off Saul's trail, lol. That being said, if anyone from the WG DOES have a Road Poneglyph on them, it's gotta be Imu or one of the elders. I can't see it being held by anyone lower on the totem pole. Maybe that giant straw hat we saw at the Reverie is supposed to be the Poneglyph in disguise or something?

Also... I wonder how many Carrot fans are going ballistic now that we know Chopper made what's basically the Sulong version of a Rumble Ball?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 06:29   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Law actually managed to escape thanks to Bepo's help. I wonder what his next move will be.
Old 2023-04-19, 13:00   Link #8
Gerard07

Having seen the new spoilers, it seems Kuzan's decision to join Kurohige wasn't something spontaneous but something he had been thinking about for a while, and as for Law, it seems he and Bepo made it out alive, but his crew didn't. ..., (although most of Law's crew didn't get much screen time) I guess he also lost the Road Ponegryph he had, let's see how things turn out.
Old 2023-04-19, 17:12   Link #9
grecefar

man that's a pretty broken rumble to allow a mink to enter the sulong mode anytime. There has to be a secondary effect or something.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 17:45   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Is anyone actually buying that Kuzan joined Blackbeard? It's way too obvious he's spying on him.
Old 2023-04-19, 18:30   Link #11
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Is anyone actually buying that Kuzan joined Blackbeard? It's way too obvious he's spying on him.
I don't see the chapter in my native language yet, so I can't comment for sure, but I get your point, however that leads me to questions; who spying for or working for Kuzan?, apparently it's not for the Navy or SWORD, the only thing I can think of is the Revolutionary Army, but they should be dealing directly with the World Government right now, why would they want to monitor Kurohige over the other pirates?,or is Kuzan working alone for unknown reasons? (probably it is this last option, but it is not sure yet).
Old 2023-04-19, 19:43   Link #12
patnam

seems like the bad guys are winning in current arc..
patnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 21:09   Link #13
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I hate to say it, but Oda has to raise the stakes somehow... especially since he seems to be following this trend:

I can think of a handful of series that when they entered their final arc, although the stakes had already been high... well, a lot of characters were killed off during those final arcs, or other Bad Things happened. Oda has completely confired we're in the final phase (however long it lasts, and Elbaf could be an epilogue), it's it's entirely possible that he's going to make One Piece a bit darker than what we've seen for the past 20ish years- we only had one MAJOR on-screen character death, but I have this terrible feeling we're going to see a lot more Bad Things happen over the next year or two real time so that Oda can give this a "Everything is on the line to become Pirate King" feel.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 01:39   Link #14
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I hate to say it, but Oda has to raise the stakes somehow... especially since he seems to be following this trend:

I can think of a handful of series that when they entered their final arc, although the stakes had already been high... well, a lot of characters were killed off during those final arcs, or other Bad Things happened. Oda has completely confired we're in the final phase (however long it lasts, and Elbaf could be an epilogue), it's it's entirely possible that he's going to make One Piece a bit darker than what we've seen for the past 20ish years- we only had one MAJOR on-screen character death, but I have this terrible feeling we're going to see a lot more Bad Things happen over the next year or two real time so that Oda can give this a "Everything is on the line to become Pirate King" feel.
I feel you may be right. The final saga may become the darkest one of all sagas with multiple deaths at every turn. 😰
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 04:24   Link #15
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

It's getting real intense I am loving it.
Old 2023-04-20, 17:44   Link #16
Gerard07

Having seen the full episode, a Garp vs. Kuzan is coming, although I couldn't say who will win so I bet the fight will be interrupted, and about Law (he did better than Kid with Shanks), although he lost his characteristic cap, his sword - katana/nodachi, his submarine and most of his crew, he still has Bepo XD, which by the way I like his Sulong form and it turned out to be a 2º utility for his captain, the bad thing was that the crew will be taken hostage (assuming that don't die), and while it's a bit sad, the truth is that most of the Heart Pirates members didn't get much screen time... well, we'll just have to wait and see, let's see what happens, wait for the next chapter!.
Old 2023-04-23, 12:08   Link #17
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Seems like a complete lose for Law. I don't think he can recover.

For Kuzan, I don't know. Garp looks like seriously want to kill him so if he is a spy, he should run away right now.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-23, 16:54   Link #18
Gerard07

Hmm, I don't think this is the end of Law, he didn't suffer as radical a loss as Kid and there is still hope that his crew survives (Oda is not one of the authors who likes to kill). Personally I think Law's character has to stay in the race at least until the truth of the "D" and things related to that issue are known.
Well, about the Garp vs Kuzan, I think the balance leans towards the old man, unless Kurohige and the other heavy hitters make it to the island (remember that one of Kurohige's commanders can teleport), though I don't think so that happens, Garp has to survive and meet at least one more time with Luffy before death overtakes the old man.
Old 2023-04-24, 11:03   Link #19
Theia_Loki

The only way for the Blackbeard Pirates to still stay at a hefty advantage (and not have their Admiral/Commodore pissed at them) is if they manage to subdue Garp in case Koby gets away. Teach wants leverage against the Government so that he can get Fullalead/Hachinsou (a.k.a. Beehive) to be declared a country aligned with them while he himself remains as its king. This reminds me all too well of the leadup to his capturing Ace when he had his sights set on Luffy two years before.

Whether the bastard has Koby or Garp, it works in his favor regardless because of their reputation as heroes to the people. Even if the WG decides to play a hard no in response, Teach would have no problems leaking that to the world at large and, in his own words, "give the Government a black eye."
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-25, 08:30   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Blackbeard was wounded and panting so he definitely had a lot more trouble taking down Law than Shanks did with Kid. I think Oda might have made Shanks look way too strong.

I'm not even sure why BB's bounty got such a big bump after Wano. Only thing he did was kidnap Koby.