AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-30, 04:46   Link #2301
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
It had a fairly abrupt, rushed ending.

As to why that happened, there's a bunch of rumors, ranging from lost motivation to what is probably the most prominent one: his editor/Shounen Jump wanted him to make the final arc more like DBZ which he didn't appreciate and thus just ended it.

So now in order to make up for it they treat him like a god who can come and go as he pleases.
Do you think the fact that he can sell 3.6 million volumes of H x H even when he's on hiatus half the year might have something to do with the way they treat him?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 05:44   Link #2302
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Besides, what are they going to do to him? Fire him?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 05:54   Link #2303
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Besides, what are they going to do to him? Fire him?
Yea...Shounen Jump knows better than to fire one of their best and most popular authors.

They would still give this kind of treatment to someone like Oda for example, if he suddenly went on a year long hiatus they would just bow their heads and tell him to take as long he wants...cause he's Eiichiro fucking Oda.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 08:48   Link #2304
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Do you think the fact that he can sell 3.6 million volumes of H x H even when he's on hiatus half the year might have something to do with the way they treat him?
Well yeah that and the fact that both his main series are in the top 10 best selling Shounen Jump manga of all time:

The man is a gold mine (even if not Oda levels), so yeah the privileges he gets are hardly surprising.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 23:36   Link #2305
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

there is also the graphic were this year HxH even outsold bleach, i could see this beign around naruto if its publication were more steady, and shueisha probably dont want to make a mistake like they did with yukito kishiro, specially with james cameron saying he wants to make an adaptation of his magnum opus.
Old 2013-01-04, 19:36   Link #2306
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Ahaha, slightly off topic, but it's kind of hilarious how much One Piece is above the other.

Anyways, I didn't know HxH was better than YYH. In terms of sales I mean.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 20:12   Link #2307
Vicious108

Well it helps that HxH is already in its 32nd volume while the entirety of YYH only amounted to 19. It's also (part of) the reason for OP's dominance, since it has like three times the amount of volumes to sell compared to some of the lower series.
Old 2013-01-05, 23:59   Link #2308
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I was really delighted with episode 61. The artwork and animation were a cut above--truly a pleasure to look at. While I got a kick out of the big, showy moments, the small character actions, gestures, and expressions were particularly enjoyable this time around. I'm not clear on who would have been primarily responsible for this level of quality--the episode director, I guess? Ought to take another look at the credits.

Anyway, can't wait to see more of my favorite female character next week.
Old 2013-01-06, 00:32   Link #2309
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Anyway, can't wait to see more of my favorite female character next week.
Indeed =03! It sounds kinda like Satomi Arai voicing her too. That's, like, the perfect voice for her (^,^).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:32   Link #2310
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
I was really delighted with episode 61. The artwork and animation were a cut above--truly a pleasure to look at. While I got a kick out of the big, showy moments, the small character actions, gestures, and expressions were particularly enjoyable this time around. I'm not clear on who would have been primarily responsible for this level of quality--the episode director, I guess? Ought to take another look at the credits.
Indeed. It was very impressively animated, adapted and directed, on a different level from most other episodes. Not that those have been poor, but this one quite clearly got some special treatment, whether that was intentional or not.

I had a feeling they would finish it at that scene too, and boy was it the sweetest ending point ever. Perfectly brought to life, that scene was. It seems that Madhouse really excels at this kind of arc (again, not that the darker York Shin was poorly done, but more "pure shounen" arcs like Heavens Arena and Greed Island are clearly their forte), so I'm really looking forward to how they handle GI as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Indeed =03! It sounds kinda like Satomi Arai voicing her too. That's, like, the perfect voice for her (^,^).
Not quite, it's actually Chisa Yokoyama. But it does indeed sound like a great fit, thankfully.
Old 2013-01-06, 08:51   Link #2311
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Dat mischievous smile on the girl was perfect. Feels kinda strange to not be referring to her by name though. I hope they get to that in the next ep.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 10:46   Link #2312
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As pure friendships go, this is one of the best in anime or manga anywhere, period. It’s innocent and yet at the same time, very complex and dark (the latter especially in Killua’s case). There are lots of other elements to this ep, but most of all it’s an expression of the deep affection those two have for each other. It’s reflected in Gon’s concern about Killua and the spell that was cast on him, and how he tries to smile his way through his fear so as not to worry his friend. It’s reflected in Killua’s good-natured patience with Gon’s fiery impulsiveness, in spite of what he might wish himself.

For the entire episode the boys express their friendship for each other in unspoken ways (which is after all what boys generally do) which are nevertheless totally obvious to the audience. And then in the end, Gon comes right out and does what boys generally don’t – tells his friend how he feels about him. Killua isn’t capable of that, but we get a rare direct glimpse inside his thoughts – and what we see is the pure gratitude he feels towards Gon for being the one to finally redeem him by believing in his essential goodness. I think Killua wants desperately to keep Gon from having to walk the dark paths he’s walked, and I think Killua would be willing to do anything at this point for his friend – the friend Killua believes is better than he is but, ironically, is the only one who saw past his darkness to the real person inside. Really, if you can’t get emotionally connected to this sort of relationship maybe shounen just isn’t the right fit for you, because I really don’t think anime friendships get any better.
Old 2013-01-06, 12:49   Link #2313
ookamigirl

Greed island - the beginning!
Gon & Killua had their first encounter with a player.
There's a lot to learn about how it all works.
I'm glad they found a good group which explained a bunch of stuff.
I was surprised Gon & Killua decided to play on their own.
Guess Gon wants to play fair and enjoy the game.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 14:38   Link #2314
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Dat mischievous smile on the girl was perfect. Feels kinda strange to not be referring to her by name though. I hope they get to that in the next ep.
Lol personally I haven't really been avoiding it on purpose, but then again AnimeSuki might just be rigid enough with its spoiler rules to consider saying it one. For what it's worth though, her name is flat out stated in the credits for this episode, even if not everyone will be able to tell.

Quote:
For the entire episode the boys express their friendship for each other in unspoken ways (which is after all what boys generally do) which are nevertheless totally obvious to the audience. And then in the end, Gon comes right out and does what boys generally don’t – tells his friend how he feels about him. Killua isn’t capable of that, but we get a rare direct glimpse inside his thoughts – and what we see is the pure gratitude he feels towards Gon for being the one to finally redeem him by believing in his essential goodness. I think Killua wants desperately to keep Gon from having to walk the dark paths he’s walked, and I think Killua would be willing to do anything at this point for his friend – the friend Killua believes is better than he is but, ironically, is the only one who saw past his darkness to the real person inside.
This is where the pathos of Killua's character really comes through to me. If you look at the two since their friendship has been formed, you'd be hard-pressed to say Killua hasn't been the better person - certainly the more self-sacrificing for the other of the two, at least - but because of his past as an assassin he still feels somewhat inadequate and undeserving of a friendship with someone as pure as Gon. He sees Gon as the light to his darkness, and he even seems willing to plunge deeper into said darkness if that's what it'll take to protect his friend. Now Gon is obviously very affectionate for Killua as well (as he had no problem outright stating this episode), but I don't think he fully realizes the extent to which his presence in Killua's life has changed the latter and in many ways saved him. So yes, it is indeed a very intricate as well as emotionally effective relationship.
Old 2013-01-06, 18:50   Link #2315
HandofFate

the way they showed killua's 'killing intent' after getting zapped by Trace was nicely done.
Old 2013-01-06, 21:19   Link #2316
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

About the rules, both Gon an Killua need to collect the 100 cards each to clear the game right? So if the limit of transformations into cards has been reached they have no choice but to steal the cards right? Or just one of them clears the game. THough there are other ways to leave the guy like we were shown with that spell card right?
Old 2013-01-06, 21:23   Link #2317
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
As pure friendships go, this is one of the best in anime or manga anywhere, period. It’s innocent and yet at the same time, very complex and dark (the latter especially in Killua’s case). There are lots of other elements to this ep, but most of all it’s an expression of the deep affection those two have for each other. It’s reflected in Gon’s concern about Killua and the spell that was cast on him, and how he tries to smile his way through his fear so as not to worry his friend. It’s reflected in Killua’s good-natured patience with Gon’s fiery impulsiveness, in spite of what he might wish himself.

For the entire episode the boys express their friendship for each other in unspoken ways (which is after all what boys generally do) which are nevertheless totally obvious to the audience. And then in the end, Gon comes right out and does what boys generally don’t – tells his friend how he feels about him. Killua isn’t capable of that, but we get a rare direct glimpse inside his thoughts – and what we see is the pure gratitude he feels towards Gon for being the one to finally redeem him by believing in his essential goodness. I think Killua wants desperately to keep Gon from having to walk the dark paths he’s walked, and I think Killua would be willing to do anything at this point for his friend – the friend Killua believes is better than he is but, ironically, is the only one who saw past his darkness to the real person inside. Really, if you can’t get emotionally connected to this sort of relationship maybe shounen just isn’t the right fit for you, because I really don’t think anime friendships get any better.
Seriously you couldn't have said it better. There's even more development during the ant saga. You really can't compare many other shounens to this one imo.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:33   Link #2318
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
About the rules, both Gon an Killua need to collect the 100 cards each to clear the game right? So if the limit of transformations into cards has been reached they have no choice but to steal the cards right? Or just one of them clears the game. THough there are other ways to leave the guy like we were shown with that spell card right?
I think answering that question would be a spoiler.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:36   Link #2319
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I think answering that question would be a spoiler.
Oh ok then i'll just wait and see
Old 2013-01-06, 23:18   Link #2320
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
This is where the pathos of Killua's character really comes through to me. If you look at the two since their friendship has been formed, you'd be hard-pressed to say Killua hasn't been the better person - certainly the more self-sacrificing for the other of the two, at least - but because of his past as an assassin he still feels somewhat inadequate and undeserving of a friendship with someone as pure as Gon. He sees Gon as the light to his darkness, and he even seems willing to plunge deeper into said darkness if that's what it'll take to protect his friend. Now Gon is obviously very affectionate for Killua as well (as he had no problem outright stating this episode), but I don't think he fully realizes the extent to which his presence in Killua's life has changed the latter and in many ways saved him. So yes, it is indeed a very intricate as well as emotionally effective relationship.
I totally buy into Killua's redemption and the role Gon's trust has played in it, but I don't think a person's past can be totally ignored. Killua has done much more than Gon that necessities redemption - not least of which is killing those hunter candidates on the blimp and killing Bodoro, by all accounts a decent man who wanted no part of fighting children (little did he know), both of which occurred after he and Gon befriended each other.

Kil has come a long, long way since then and he and Gon both are fantastic characters, but I think Gon doesn't get nearly enough credit for either his strength, his loyalty or his integrity.

Tags
action, shounen