AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-03, 15:56   Link #61
Folenfant
Banned

This is turning into a bit of show for hipsters to celebrate but I still think its important because its a solidly produced indie project that shows what good animators can do with a limited 500K budget. I find it kind of had the spirit of 70s anime mixed with the visual style of Gurren Lagann and a Magical Fantasy theme. The story is pretty simplistic follow your dreams inspirational fare fun stuff with some quirky characters but sadly is limited in scope by its length to a fairpy brisk and predictable course of events with little room for character development. Definitely would recommend it mostly for its animation showcase and unorthodox visual style only.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 11:47   Link #62
7Th
Mixtape

LWA had foreshadowing, character development, a consistently developed theme, a competently told story driven by the actions of the characters (and by their flaws and strengths rather than by contrivances) and clever visual jokes that didn't oversell themselves. The storytelling was just plain good. The idea that something safe can't be good is something I've always been against; I mean, K-ON is a much safer show than PsychoPass (not like PP is particularly daring, either way) yet it features much superior storytelling and execution.

LWA is clearly different from pretty much every other YAP short, tho. It's definitely "profitable" in spirit and the character designs are definitely meant to be cute and attractive for most audiences.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 21:12   Link #63
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
This is turning into a bit of show for hipsters to celebrate but I still think its important because its a solidly produced indie project that shows what good animators can do with a limited 500K budget.
I think it's the opposite. This is turning into a show for hipsters to rag on because they just can't stand the fact that a short and simple story executed well has been so warmly received.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 22:22   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's certainly become a rallying cry to unleash name-calling against anyone who isn't drinking the Kool-aid.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 23:45   Link #65
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
LWA had foreshadowing, character development, a consistently developed theme, a competently told story driven by the actions of the characters (and by their flaws and strengths rather than by contrivances) and clever visual jokes that didn't oversell themselves. The storytelling was just plain good. The idea that something safe can't be good is something I've always been against; I mean, K-ON is a much safer show than PsychoPass (not like PP is particularly daring, either way) yet it features much superior storytelling and execution.
I agree. I'm not sure how more risky storytelling or complex characterization would have improved the show. All of these elements are designed for a certain purpose in the anime, and they fulfill those requirements very well. As a result, there's barely a wasted line or cut or even frame.

And really, I do value the creators' restraint from trying to explain everything. It lets the characters and story develop naturally through action, and it leaves a much stronger impression as a result. The actual writing in the work is very good.
Old 2013-04-05, 04:27   Link #66
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
This is turning into a bit of show for hipsters to celebrate.
Nah, that's going to be Death Billiards whenever it gets subbed

I can already see people calling that one the "true gem" and saying Little Witch Academia is overrated.
Old 2013-04-05, 05:10   Link #67
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's certainly become a rallying cry to unleash name-calling against anyone who isn't drinking the Kool-aid.
Fortunately in my country we don't have access to said Kool-aid.
Old 2013-04-05, 11:17   Link #68
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

LWA is like... everything that was good about the stuff we all watched as children, but animated beautifully.
If you hate it there is something wrong with your brain.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 23:11   Link #69
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for Death Billiards:

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 01:26   Link #70
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Is this the thread for Little Witch Academia? I haven't watched it but I can see it almost everywhere, clearly really hyped. I am planning on watching it tomorrow. I am very excited. Will edit later for impression. **
Old 2013-04-06, 02:58   Link #71
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

People hype things. Things do not hype themselves.
Old 2013-04-06, 03:12   Link #72
brocko

If things are not hype, then how are people able to be hype over it?

/semantics

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 03:27   Link #73
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
Is this the thread for Little Witch Academia? I haven't watched it but I can see it almost everywhere, clearly really hyped. I am planning on watching it tomorrow. I am very excited. Will edit later for impression. **
This thread is for Anime Mirai. LWA is one of the shows made for it.

LWA was a pretty fun watch. Too bad it was so short .. I don't usually like OVA's because I feel one episode just can't do anything justice but it didn't feel like it on this one. Same goes for Death Billiard .. what was just brilliant. The grandpa was badass .
Old 2013-04-06, 06:36   Link #74
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well Death Billiards was good fun

Spoiler for death billiards:
Old 2013-04-06, 09:06   Link #75
Revan21

Death Billiards
Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2013-04-06, 09:37   Link #76
Dop
Mmmm....

I liked Death Billiards.
Spoiler for Not the billiards I was thinking of.:

To me this show felt like an episode of The Twilight Zone, only missing Rod Serling's introduction.

So far this year's Anime Mirai has given me two shows I've enjoyed, but for competely different reasons. Good stuff.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:22   Link #77
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Watched both Little Witch Academia and Death Billiards. Both were excellent and I loved them both so screw deciding which one was better .

It is no brainer that Death Billiards was the more "intellectual" (if you want to call it that) choice as it explores psychological interactions in humans when they are faced with situations that determine the very life and death of them. It gave some food for thought and I personally loved the ending, as it was intentionally left ambiguous without feeling like a copout. It definitely had a darker tone and the visuals reflected it, though I don't think it was necessarily "better" than LWA as it was a stylistic choice.

On the other hand, LWA was just loads of fun, something that is very underrated amongst "critics". It was optimistic, colorful and full of energy and it reminded me of the fun Disney cartoons of old when I was a kid. Though the art style was more cartoony than DB, it isn't necessarily inferior as the animation was very fluid and there was substantially more fight scenes. I'm not sure what some people mean by LWA containing "cute girls doing cute things" as this is absolutely nothing like your typical slice of life anime show aimed at hardcore latenight "otaku" audiences. In fact I would liken it more to Disney, Ghibli or heck even Harry Potter - something that a general audience can get into. I would say that LWA is definitely the more "accessible" OVA that would be able to appeal to a larger audience.

My only complaint is that well... it was only 25minutes each . But hey, more short works like this please!

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-04-06 at 12:39.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:36   Link #78
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest, I never felt comfortable with Death Billiards. It just felt way too judgemental (Yes, I know that was the whole point, but still). It wasn't bad though, and I definitely appreciate the level of thought gone into it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 17:52   Link #79
Xion Valkyrie

LWA is one of the best things I've watched in a while. It highlights everything good that anime can do and really showcases that imagination is still alive in the fantasy genre. I especially liked the mini paint brushes = mini brooms thing for the floating devices.

There's so much history and world building oozing from all the background details and offhand remarks that I really want to see an entire series built upon this concept. It really puts to shame the 'fantasy' type anime that have been coming out recently that is fantasy in name only, just slapping on some standard fantasy tropes/aesthetics on your standard rom-com plot.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 21:08   Link #80
Kirarakim

I really enjoyed Death Billiards and yes it does have this Twilight Zone vibe too it (there is even a Twilight Zone ep it kind of reminded me of: A Game of Pool)

The one thing that annoyed me was that the young guy's reactions were a bit over the top but then I guess if I was in his situation I probably would be more scared like he was too so I am not sure if I can judge him.

The ending was great though. At first the no answers annoyed me but thinking about it more I think it was better to be left open because it does leave room for interesting discussion. Although I am left with no opinion on what I think so I am not sure how much I can add to it.

Spoiler: