AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2013-05-20, 17:13   Link #8021
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
That's Shonen series. Not mecha. No Sunrise mech anime has been produced manga first ever. Most of them don't even have manga.

And most importantly none of them have gotten above 50 eps.

Geass never was going to have more than 50 eps. That was the plan, and that is how long series in its genre usually get.
For your information, Sunrise had already created a Code Geass: Black Rebellion recap OVA that they could have aired while allowing the production team to retain their original setup for Code Geass R2 leading to Zero's Requiem. They was no need to change to format leading to the end of the story at all when there was a pre-existing recap series that could broadcast before releasing Code Geass R2. When the creators came up with the idea for Code Geass, they should have produced it as a manga with CLAMP.

Anyway, rules can be changed with regards to mecha series by way of producing 50 episodes a season that leads to another series as part of a bigger epic. And since there is a Code Geass movie in the works, it's likely to be a retelling of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Just like Neo Genesis Evangelion movies have become:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 19:31   Link #8022
Aquaman OS

Evangelion was even shorter than Geass though at 26 eps and one film. And that was even more popular than Geass, and it still didn't get another series.

Macross Frontier got two retelling films, and it still wasn't as long as Geass.

It's just not practical to have them run that long. Especially considering how expensive mech shows are.

Also I think the problem was simply to get new viewers caught up, but also to "sell" the show to people again. That is give them the basics, Lelouch's basic introduction ep again, Ashford comedy, Lelouch vs Suzaku, etc.

They wanted to attract the new demographic and that was a bit more complicated than showing them a clip show of season 1.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 00:11   Link #8023
darthfury78

Quote:
Evangelion was even shorter than Geass though at 26 eps and one film. And that was even more popular than Geass, and it still didn't get another series.

Macross Frontier got two retelling films, and it still wasn't as long as Geass.

It's just not practical to have them run that long. Especially considering how expensive mech shows are.

Also I think the problem was simply to get new viewers caught up, but also to "sell" the show to people again. That is give them the basics, Lelouch's basic introduction ep again, Ashford comedy, Lelouch vs Suzaku, etc.

They wanted to attract the new demographic and that was a bit more complicated than showing them a clip show of season 1.
Perhaps. But the 2-part recap would have allowed the new viewers to go out and buy the first season of Code Geass DVD series. Anyway, what's done is long since decided upon. Lelouch is dead. Any progression to the story from where Code Geass R2 left off is not going to happen. If the producers want to retell Lelouch's story, the Zero Requiem would have to be dropped from the story and replaced with a new ending. At least that is my opinion; if the producers want to revive Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion as a movie, it might end up being quite different from the TV series.
Old 2013-05-21, 01:11   Link #8024
Piprocker
Vernadead~

Send a message via MSN to Piprocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Lelouch is dead. Any progression to the story from where Code Geass R2 left off is not going to happen. If the producers want to retell Lelouch's story, the Zero Requiem would have to be dropped from the story and replaced with a new ending. At least that is my opinion; if the producers want to revive Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion as a movie, it might end up being quite different from the TV series.
What if he is alive? what if he took charles' code and now possesses both immortality and a Geass? what if C.C. gave him her own code? what if he is the cart driver? well, you probably know everything about this and more. but until all that info that shows he is still alive, it's proven wrong, we won't lose our hope ^^

My point is, don't just assume he is dead. if he is really alive, they'll make R3. probably if the movie is a success they'll work on R3? who knows... but Hope die last

Last edited by Piprocker; 2013-05-21 at 01:45.
Piprocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 01:57   Link #8025
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piprocker View Post
What if he is alive? what if he took charles' code and now possesses both immortality and a Geass? what if C.C. gave him her own code? what if he is the cart driver? well, you probably know everything about this and more. but until all that info that shows he is still alive, it's proven wrong, we won't lose our hope ^^

My point is, don't just assume he is dead. if he is really alive, they'll make R3. probably if the movie is a success they'll work on R3? who knows... but Hope die last
The unspoken word is that Lelouch's Geass was high enough for Charles's Code to be passed unto Lelouch. And Suzaku's sword pierced through his heart, with is the key to activating the immortal Code. I seriously doubt that C.C. had given Lelouch her Code as she no longer had a reason to want to die. Besides, she had two chances of having her wish granted by Charles, and she turned him down.

In my opinion, the only way for Code Geass R3 to happen is for the Zero Requiem to not have occurred in first place. The Zero Requiem was meant to bring and end to Code Geass by killing off Lelouch in order for world peace to occur. That was Nunnally's wish. And dreams do come at a price, which was her brother's life.
Old 2013-05-21, 02:47   Link #8026
azul120

Quote:
I my opinion, from a production standpoint, the producers wanted to put Code Geass to an end as quickly as possible. No one on the production team ever imagined how successful their show was. And there was no guarantee that Sunrise would have commissioned another Code Geass series as an extension. In retrospect, I feel that with a schedule change to Code Geass R2, the producers should have created a 2-part recap episode(on Season One) that would have brought the new audience up to speed on the show. The last two episodes dealing with Zero's Requiem could have been produced as a 2-Part OVA series.

If the producers had retained their original plans for Code Geass R2 instead of changing the entire structure of the show, it might have turned out better if they had done a 2-part recap episode that would be a flashback of Season One, which might have been cheaper to produce than what was decided upon at the last minute.

Anyway, going back to Lelouch's death, I feel that death was the only escape for Lelouch for if he had lived, he would be in prison for the rest of his life. And while captured, if he managed to obtain his father's Geass, Lelouch might have found it as his way of escaping death because that would have been the only viable outcome for him. Either way, Lelouch was going to die. The only way that this whole ordeal could have been prevented is if Euphemia had not been Geassed into killing innocent lives, which led to her death.
He didn't have to do the Zero Requiem. It was only because he wanted to die following Nunnally's demise and the Black Knights betrayal that he carried it out. And really, if he were to be jailed at the end of the rebellion, you might as well chuck the rest of the lot with him with a few exceptions. Lelouch had been up against a totalitarian empire that afforded him little leeway in terms of options for the most part.

Quote:
The unspoken word is that Lelouch's Geass was high enough for Charles's Code to be passed unto Lelouch. And Suzaku's sword pierced through his heart, with is the key to activating the immortal Code. I seriously doubt that C.C. had given Lelouch her Code as she no longer had a reason to want to die. Besides, she had two chances of having her wish granted by Charles, and she turned him down.

In my opinion, the only way for Code Geass R3 to happen is for the Zero Requiem to not have occurred in first place. The Zero Requiem was meant to bring and end to Code Geass by killing off Lelouch in order for world peace to occur. That was Nunnally's wish. And dreams do come at a price, which was her brother's life.
See above. The Zero Requiem was chosen because Lelouch had fallen too far into despair. He noted that he had other options towards world peace, options that likely didn't involve the lives of himself and likely hundreds of thousands of people as a cost.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 02:55   Link #8027
Aquaman OS

Zero Requiem was what the staff had planned from the start though. It was understood by the staff that Lelouch wouldn't be getting out of the show alive. He was designed to be a classic tragic hero, and those tend to die.

Even if the Black Knight's didn't betray him they would have found some other reason to have ZR.
Old 2013-05-21, 03:09   Link #8028
azul120

Quote:
Zero Requiem was what the staff had planned from the start though. It was understood by the staff that Lelouch wouldn't be getting out of the show alive. He was designed to be a classic tragic hero, and those tend to die.

Even if the Black Knight's didn't betray him they would have found some other reason to have ZR.
The problem is, they failed to justify it. That, and the end was portrayed as optimistic, with more dubious characters "whitewashed" enough to see the ending.
Old 2013-05-21, 04:44   Link #8029
Aquaman OS

That too is part of the tragedy, where good people die, and not so good people end up getting away with it.

Of course I suspect the restructure to have him back with the BK again for awhile made their eventual betrayal of him rather poorly justfied (although they still could have pulled it off right if they made it look like Lelouch was planning to betray them, instead of them doing it because Ougi said so. The evidence was there)

Imagine for example the BK opposing him from the start of R2 because he ran out on them in the Black Rebellion and left them all to rot. That would have been at least slightly understandable then them getting over that almost instantly, but then betraying him later for different reasons.

Of course back in early R2 despite claiming they forgave him, they made it clear in secret that they'd turn on Zero the instant he wasn't acting in Japan's best interest. And he kind of looked like he wasn't acting in Japan's best interest. So maybe that betrayal didn't totally come out of nowhere.
Old 2013-05-21, 15:16   Link #8030
azul120

Quote:
That too is part of the tragedy, where good people die, and not so good people end up getting away with it.

Of course I suspect the restructure to have him back with the BK again for awhile made their eventual betrayal of him rather poorly justfied (although they still could have pulled it off right if they made it look like Lelouch was planning to betray them, instead of them doing it because Ougi said so. The evidence was there)

Imagine for example the BK opposing him from the start of R2 because he ran out on them in the Black Rebellion and left them all to rot. That would have been at least slightly understandable then them getting over that almost instantly, but then betraying him later for different reasons.

Of course back in early R2 despite claiming they forgave him, they made it clear in secret that they'd turn on Zero the instant he wasn't acting in Japan's best interest. And he kind of looked like he wasn't acting in Japan's best interest. So maybe that betrayal didn't totally come out of nowhere.
Only kind of. It's not like he completely bailed on the rebellion. He had a moment of weakness. They went totally passive-aggressive on him. Not to mention the hypocrisy on their part, where they essentially ended up bailing on the UFN who they were now beholden to with the betrayal. And of course, Ohgi blindly accepting Villetta again and trusting her testimony against Lelouch, even though she was part of the cause of the Black Rebellion falling apart on the Ashford end, not to mention the one who kept Lelouch, who for the record had been captured and stripped of his memories, under surveillance to make sure he didn't become Zero again, all because she wanted to be a Britannian noble. By all rights at the very least, Ohgi should have realized this and told Villetta to take a hike. And for the former, Xing-ke and Kaguya should have demoted if not dismissed the existing BKs who were responsible for the betrayal.

Lelouch was at fault to an extent, but the storyline went crazy on the Informed Wrongness.

And the end was portrayed as somewhat optimistic instead of tragic.
Old 2013-05-21, 16:11   Link #8031
Xander

And yet there are those who would argue the opposite on most of those counts, including considering Lelouch as an actual villain who either got exactly what he deserved for his most heinous actions or even got off too lightly after all.

Thus the never-ending cycle of R2/ZR talk continues...
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 18:07   Link #8032
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
And yet there are those who would argue the opposite on most of those counts, including considering Lelouch as an actual villain who either got exactly what he deserved for his most heinous actions or even got off too lightly after all.

Thus the never-ending cycle of R2/ZR talk continues...
Most of those people though overlook or skew a lot of stuff.
Old 2013-05-22, 06:20   Link #8033
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
According to the voice actor for Lelouch, in the original setup for Code Geass R2, Lelouch was to have been imprisoned during the first half of the season, which was replaced with Ashford Academy. The revised version had him at Ashford Academy, which was his prison with Velletta watching his every move on the security cam. He did escape every night as planned until the second half of the season where he never returned to Ashford Academy.

By the way, doesn't Britannia feels more like the Roman Empire where they are always plotting to kill the other for power? It certainly doesn't feel like the British Empire. Although they did have their share of killings as well thoughout their history. Makes me wonder how Britannia might have been if the Roman Empire had relocated their capitol to the island nation.
Old 2013-05-22, 17:03   Link #8034
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
I could easily say the same about Lelouch and his fans.
Old 2013-05-22, 19:01   Link #8035
azul120

Quote:
I could easily say the same about Lelouch and his fans.
The truth lies in between. Let's leave it at that.
Old 2013-06-25, 22:59   Link #8036
wredsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masurao45 View Post
Screws over peace......I think somebody like the Frost Brothers and Creuset would be a perfect fit because he wants humanity to be destroyed by waging war through manipulation. Post R2, they announced that last year that they were going to do a film project and it's still on hold, theres a possibility that it could be a post R2 and for me, there's no doubt.

Same here, Season 1 focused more on Japan whereas Season 2 focused more on the entire world. I would love for the sequel to have more in depth with Geass especially the movie if it's plot is announced. The movie would be a great way to end Lelouch's story. I also want to see if Ragnarok were to happen just like the Third Impact in Neon Genesis.

There was an illustration novel featuring Charles, Marianne, and Bismarck in a scan from Sneaker Magazine which is a prequel and since I haven't read it, I don't know if V.V. is there or not. But I want more than that, I also want to see Naoto, Kallen's sister during the time he was leading the resistance before Zero's takeover as well as the origin of Geass and the Geass order as well as the Zeon Zum Deikun figure who would start the events of the story. I agree with you on Taniguchi and he would've done the manga and it would be a lot better than the manga we have now.
If Lelouch has to be there, then he can possess someone like yami possessed yugi. We all know Lelouch is in World of C.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 10:25   Link #8037
Masurao45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
If Lelouch has to be there, then he can possess someone like yami possessed yugi. We all know Lelouch is in World of C.
not really, my side believes that Lelouch is alive and he'll come back like Milliardo Peacecraft/Zechs Merquise and Mu La Flaga/Neo Roanoke did. That's Sunrise and they screw up deaths even now.
Masurao45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 13:03   Link #8038
wredsa

Quote:
not really, my side believes that Lelouch is alive and he'll come back like Milliardo Peacecraft/Zechs Merquise and Mu La Flaga/Neo Roanoke did. That's Sunrise and they screw up deaths even now.
Lelouch is not that evil to die a fake death. It would ruin the ending. However we all know dead people goes to world of c so he can be brough back from there with the help of a host. Probably after 5000 years of Peace .
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 17:43   Link #8039
azul120

Or just a resurrection, simple and plain. Someone could have a geass-related power to that effect.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-01, 08:15   Link #8040
darthfury78

Quote:
If one wants to believe the unspoken word of Zero's Requiem, Lelouch is an immortal like C.C. because:

1. During the meeting between Charles and Marianne, Lelouch's geass symbol appeared in both of his eyes, which are high enough for Lelouch to take the Code of the Geass giver.

2. Since Lelouch never took C.C.'s Code, we must assume that his father slapped his Code unto his son when he grabbed his neck.

3. As we have seen with C.C.'s scar at the base of her heart, this would mean that the Code could only be activated when the heart is pierced with a sharp object. The Geass user dies and awaken once the Code is activated.

4. Suzaku killed Lelouch in the same manner. Nunnally felt his hand and got a flashback of all of his memories. The same thing happened when Lelouch felt C.C.'s hand and got a glimpse of her past memories.

All of this could prove that Lelouch is alive as an immortal like C.C. since her wish was for Lelouch to make her happy instead of wanting to die.

Personally, I hope that the new Code Geass movies as a remake of Lelouch of the Rebellion with a different ending as an alternate to Zero's Requiem.