Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 21:35   Link #81
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
There's so much history and world building oozing from all the background details and offhand remarks that I really want to see an entire series built upon this concept. It really puts to shame the 'fantasy' type anime that have been coming out recently that is fantasy in name only, just slapping on some standard fantasy tropes/aesthetics on your standard rom-com plot.
Like Zero no Tsukaima!
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 22:22   Link #82
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Like the Death Billiards theme with that open ending...
But i cannot see it as a serie, as it will gets too boring with the same pattern...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 10:24   Link #83
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Death Billiards did have a Twilight Zone feel to it. I enjoyed it a lot, but the concept is a bit iffy and I'm not a fan of the ambiguous ending. It makes it harder to tell what the message or the moral is.

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2013-04-07, 11:02   Link #84
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Like the Death Billiards theme with that open ending...
But i cannot see it as a serie, as it will gets too boring with the same pattern...
I couldn't see this scenario as an entire series but something like an anime Twilight Zone would be pretty awesome.

Still as I recall Twilight Zone did usually have less ambiguous endings, and when they were somewhat ambiguous I think they still did have a clear message in the end. So in that sense I kind of agree with Kanon.

On the other hand what someone else said having the audience choose to say something about ourselves is also an interesting idea.

But maybe the point of the story is not about who ends up where.

Maybe it is more about is our fates predetermined? Can we fight for that fate or not? It seemed to me the main difference besides their ages is the young man tried to fight against his fate and the old man accepted things. Was the old man really wiser or not or had he just given up?

So maybe trying to determine the ending is actually missing the point of the story.
Old 2013-04-08, 06:18   Link #85
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Death billiards was intriguing. I wish they told us what the old jeez said to the grim reaper
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 23:20   Link #86
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Death billiards was intriguing. I wish they told us what the old jeez said to the grim reaper
"I regret nothing"

Also both of them went to hell
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 02:47   Link #87
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

More anime needs to be like Little Witch Academy. Simply amazing stuff. Heaps of praise all around the internets, so no need to repeat it again.

Death Billiards was....interesting. Kinda makes me wish for a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits style episodic anime. I'm reminded that reincarnation is a belief in eastern philosophy, so I think the misdirection was the western symbology. In the end the old man had a long life, and a good one in his view, since he seemed to have no regrets. The young man on the other hand was full of regret, wanting to go back and fix his mistakes. Youth versus old age, was part of the battle here, I think. Everything was predetermined to be in the old mans favor simply because he had the advantage of time.

One man looks back on his life with regret, the other looks forward and reflects.

Of course, what happens after the elevator is anyone's guess, but personally I think the old man got the better deal. The bartender never said that the end meant death.
Old 2013-04-10, 10:36   Link #88
whitecloud

welll...i guess just looking from the elevator should mean something, i guess? after all if we count from the amount of sin...the old man should go to hell compared to the young man...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 12:45   Link #89
Kirarakim

I can't quote on my IPod but although its the opposite of mine, brilliant interpretation Solace
Old 2013-04-10, 14:44   Link #90
Dop
Mmmm....

Just seen Arve Rezzle (sic) and that has "pilot episode" written all over it.

Spoiler for Arve Rezzle:

I say pilot episode because that's what it's like.

LWA is stand-alone, but could easily expand to a series if required.
Death Billiards is definitely stand alone, and while a 'Twlight Zone' style anime would be cool, the setting of Death Billiards wouldn't apply itself to a whole series (or you'd end up with Death Tiddlywinks, which would be silly).
Arve Rezzle though, I don't think that is stand alone. It's totally like the pilot episode of a series where more of the setting would be explained in later episodes. The ending is totally set up for a continuation. Which may never happen.

That said, I've liked all three so far and look forward to watching Ryo, which looks different again.

Last edited by Dop; 2013-04-10 at 15:07.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 15:26   Link #91
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Arve Rezzle though, I don't think that is stand alone.
Oh it's not,it's a light novel adaptation,now how a light novel adaptation ended up on anime mirai I have no idea but that alone guarantees there's more material out there.
Old 2013-04-10, 15:36   Link #92
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Oh it's not,it's a light novel adaptation,now how a light novel adaptation ended up on anime mirai I have no idea but that alone guarantees there's more material out there.
Wasn't Zexcs given an Anime Mirai slot because Pierrot couldn't fulfill it?
Old 2013-04-10, 15:49   Link #93
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Thanks for that, maybe they're just not sure if it's popular enough to adapt fully and this is a way of testing interest?
Old 2013-04-10, 16:05   Link #94
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Wasn't Zexcs given an Anime Mirai slot because Pierrot couldn't fulfill it?
Yes but since there were a dozen other candidates I'm surprised they went with an adaptation rather than an anime original.

Then again maybe Zexcs was just the most ready to fill in on short notice,the production of the OVA was already announced before it became part of anime mirai.
Old 2013-04-11, 10:06   Link #95
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Loved Death Billiards, would totally watch a season of that even if it was purely episodic. Had a Pet Shop Of Horrors feel to it. I think Oji-san got the better deal too, Im glad the Bartender didnt tell what he had said, leave it to us to interpret it. Funny thing is since the seiyuus were the same I kept picturing Alto in my head when the guy talked.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 10:14   Link #96
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Eh, I'm not going to bother with that one then. We get enough light novel adaptations already...
Old 2013-04-11, 10:48   Link #97
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've only watched a couple so far: Little Witch Academia is an instant animation classic, almost like the birth of a new Miyazaki; Arve Rezzle is outstanding as both science fiction and relationship (bring on the series). Terrific stuff.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 04:19   Link #98
bastek66

Trigger put whole LWA on their yt channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjyhka0lM5Y
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 04:25   Link #99
totoum
Me at work

Yeah, that's really cool trigger would do that!
Also for those wondering the mistakes in the subs will be fixed IF there's a BD release.
Old 2013-04-19, 04:40   Link #100
Dop
Mmmm....

That really is a very smart move from Studio Trigger, as I think their name and reputation will get a big boost from it.