AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 22:30   Link #1
drimof87

Why Do You like Fairy Tail? [General]

I'd like to suggest what you like about Fairy Tail or what made it fun to read.

Mainly because i noticed something very interesting about it. While many people consider Fairy Tail to have some cliche moments, it has successfully avoided a big one most others in this genre share. I also think this is why the Manga seems to move fast, at least in my mind.

Here is what i noticed: Powers and Tactics

It is very straight forward with tactics and the fundamentals of its powers. There are no long discussions on the micromanaging of how they're going to fight each and every person like in all the other Manga's. If they do, it rarely takes very long for them to say and is very to the point about it. Magic itself is somewhat explained in later episodes.

Many people might point this out as a flaw. Ultimately though, I can't help but feel it is a stregnth. Less is more in this situation. I can't tell you how many times in the anime shows and other manga's they continuously have long discussions over every little thing/move tactic. It always requires them to repeat themselves over and over.

Watching the anime/reading manga you'll notice it only takes them a few seconds to explain quickly what other shows will stall for time with.

These reasons set it apart for me and made it very easy to get into. I also like the characters and the plot is usually engaging to me. I also think the jokes are good.

edit: Since this is a General Thread, please remember to use Spoiler Tags where appropriate.

Last edited by drimof87; 2011-10-23 at 11:00. Reason: Too Long of a Post
drimof87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 00:33   Link #2
sergel02

I haven't liked an anime this much since i got into Fruits Basket earlier in the year, and before that i think it was Bleach and before that some from when i was younger like Sailormoon and Cardcaptor.

Even though its a shounen anime/manga, i like the mix of more typical shoujo elements, like the emphasis on emotions and such. Anyway, I'll just list the things i like (note its mostly the anime I'm talking about. Don't pay much attention to mangas):
  • Even though Natsu is a kinda typical shounen lead, he's different enough to not turn me off.
  • The team is more than just 4 or 5 guys and 1 girl. I like the balance. I find women severely underpowered in most shounen-aimed shows. It is a bit so in this, but not nearly as bad at all.
  • I love the powers. I love magic and the seals and how its explained and the elements. I'm a big RPG video game player, and this reminds me of that.
  • The humor. It still has typical yelling like in lots of anime, but its funny to me.
  • It doesn't have blood. Not really a negative if a show has it, but its nice not to see it. Kinda refreshing after watching shows like Bleach or Guyver lol.
  • I like that Lucy is the main female lead. Usually i like the side characters more but i really like Lucy.
  • I like how the main battles aren't just the main male lead vs. the bad guy. I mean, it kinda is so in this too, but the others help a lot more and have their own fight.
  • I like the art style.
  • THE MUSIC!! nuff said.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 01:06   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

One thing that I absolutely love about Fairy Tail is the jokes.

Still,this manga can be greatly improved if only they tone down (or even cut) some elements like:
  1. Unnecessary fanservice:
    Fanservice is good, but when your main characters often fighting her opponents while only wearing bikini-like clothes, that’s going too far.
  2. The main-guy always beat the crap out of the bad guy in the end no matter how powerful they are:
    In some cases, without proper explanation besides the ‘power of courage, conviction, friendship, etc’. It’s really getting old.

That’s it, I hope the story can be improved as time passes coz I do like this manga.
Old 2011-10-25, 07:45   Link #4
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
There are a variety of reasons for me, of which sergel has mentioned a few. In no particular order:

#1. Equal balance of powerful males and females. Most shonen is 90-95% males who do the fighting.

#2. Natsu, while being the main male, is not the most powerful. It's a refreshing change of pace. It kinda goes well with point #1 above, since Erza can kick his ass.

#3. The other characters aren't useless! It's annoying to watch Krillin get pwned over and over, and how no one but Goku can ever really defeat anyone. And sometimes, who defeats the main bad guy of the arc isn't Natsu (or he isn't the focus), but someone else.

#4. Multi-people fight; it's not "one-guy-with-sword vs. one-guy-with-sword" over and over, repeated ad nauseam. It's got some variety, and while there is some element of power level in play, it's not directly referenced and *can* be overcome with smarter tactics.

#5. Lack of training arcs. Always a pet peeve of mine, where at least half the show is training the main character training to get stronger. While okay in small doses, I'd rather get more interesting story instead.

#6. Humor. Practically every single character has a quirky trait, and they play well off each other. Even in serious situations, some amount of humor breaks through. Some times it's not enough to make me laugh, but I do find it amusing.

#7. The music. Fairy Tail's main theme, and the slow version of it, are among my favorite pieces. They give the anime a fairly epic feeling whenever they play.

There are probably more that I can't think of, off the bat, but those are the main ones.

Edit to add: #8. The mysteries. It's not a simple series of shonen fights, nor does it have so many things that it requires a complex chart to keep track of. But we can see a larger plot being woven together in the background, from all these arcs we've gone through.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2011-10-25 at 08:27.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 08:00   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Only for one reason...
Spoiler for you REALLY don't want to know...:

Told you :P
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 12:28   Link #6
MAX_COLA_POWER!

They say your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness, well here, it's the opposite. The fact that fairy tail, some people's opinions anyway, has gotten predictable is a big advantage for me because I know that the good guys will somehow pull through. I just wanna see how flashy it will be^^. Let's see, comedy, the hope of giving Gajeel and Wendy new moves, and of course, the nipple-less funbags of those who have them. This is why I like fairy tail. NAKAMA POWER FTMFW! FUCK YOU ACNY LOVERS!
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 00:36   Link #7
nestea2004

Send a message via AIM to nestea2004 Send a message via Yahoo to nestea2004
The thing about Fairy Tail that I enjoy the most is, it gets serious and then has a cool down from the serious so its not throwing you into one right after another it gives us like one or two episodes to be like..

Oh, sweet!! Lisanna Is back! or wow...poor Cheryl...
nestea2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 00:51   Link #8
sergel02

^
^ I kinda agree with you. I kinda just like seeing the action and fights with new powers with some romance and relationships in between. I have deep material i have to analyze anyway, so its a nice break.

And i do like how it balances out humor and seriousness. Like in really tense situations that sometimes make me uncomfortable there is usually something funny to break it up. Its refreshing and i don't know many animes that do it.
Old 2011-10-26, 01:04   Link #9
nestea2004

Very true! like in the last arc, where dudes all "I am gonna kill myself!" "No you must be king!" and then Natsu, Gajeel and crew all pretend to be evil and stuff it was great!
Old 2011-10-26, 01:31   Link #10
sergel02

I loved how in the last arc, the final battle was with Natsu, Gajeel and Wendy. Not just Natsu or something like that
Old 2011-10-26, 02:19   Link #11
nestea2004

I am unfortunately putting off watching Fairy Tail until such a time that I can watch more than one per week freaking killing me so I only watched up until it was Gildarts let Natsu move on ^^;

btw <3 Erza..
Old 2011-10-26, 17:31   Link #12
sergel02

I wish i could but i can't help myself. I know eventually i'll get too busy to watch it and have to catch up later. I only got into Fairy Tail a couple weeks ago.
Old 2011-10-26, 21:04   Link #13
nestea2004

Ah, I see! Yeah Fairy tail is pretty addicting. I am probably going to re-watch it soon..
Old 2011-10-26, 22:46   Link #14
drimof87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
There are a variety of reasons for me, of which sergel has mentioned a few. In no particular order:

#1. Equal balance of powerful males and females. Most shonen is 90-95% males who do the fighting.

#2. Natsu, while being the main male, is not the most powerful. It's a refreshing change of pace. It kinda goes well with point #1 above, since Erza can kick his ass.

#3. The other characters aren't useless! It's annoying to watch Krillin get pwned over and over, and how no one but Goku can ever really defeat anyone. And sometimes, who defeats the main bad guy of the arc isn't Natsu (or he isn't the focus), but someone else.

#4. Multi-people fight; it's not "one-guy-with-sword vs. one-guy-with-sword" over and over, repeated ad nauseam. It's got some variety, and while there is some element of power level in play, it's not directly referenced and *can* be overcome with smarter tactics.

#5. Lack of training arcs. Always a pet peeve of mine, where at least half the show is training the main character training to get stronger. While okay in small doses, I'd rather get more interesting story instead.

#6. Humor. Practically every single character has a quirky trait, and they play well off each other. Even in serious situations, some amount of humor breaks through. Some times it's not enough to make me laugh, but I do find it amusing.

#7. The music. Fairy Tail's main theme, and the slow version of it, are among my favorite pieces. They give the anime a fairly epic feeling whenever they play.

There are probably more that I can't think of, off the bat, but those are the main ones.

Edit to add: #8. The mysteries. It's not a simple series of shonen fights, nor does it have so many things that it requires a complex chart to keep track of. But we can see a larger plot being woven together in the background, from all these arcs we've gone through.
I also meant #5 too when i wrote the post topic. I definately agree with #3, which is why I find the gun magic users a little off putting so far. #1 is a great point too. Great post I find it very hard to disagree.
drimof87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 00:11   Link #15
sergel02

I honestly hope for an arc that focuses on Lucy a bit more, and maybe some of the weaker members like Wendy, Cana and Levy. Even though there are only really main guys who fight, Natsu, Gray and Gajeel, they do a lot of fighting and the only who does as much it seems is Erza. There are more girls but the do less. That is one thing that annoys me, but still, its nothing like so many shounen shows like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Beyblade, Digimon and so many more. A lot of them hardly show any girls. So this is refreshing to see things more evened out in Fairy Tail
Old 2011-10-30, 19:37   Link #16
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Juvia is awesome, thats all

...and other characters too
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 20:04   Link #17
sergel02

I can't wait to see Juvia's next big fight. God knows she hasn't had one since like episode 25.
Old 2011-10-30, 20:42   Link #18
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Ah Juvia, everyone's favorite cute, beautiful, yandere little psycho nut water logia fangirl^^.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:17   Link #19
sergel02

lol if she wasn't a water elemental i probably wouldn't like her as much. Water is my thing. Which is why i wanna see a water dragon slayer.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:23   Link #20
MAX_COLA_POWER!

*imagines Juvia with sharp teeth*...IT...IS...ACCEPTABLE!