AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-10-22, 07:52   Link #1
Cattelli
Canadian Anime Guru

Question Similar to SAO?

Hey there!

I've recently fallen on dark times.. I've run out of series that I had planned to watch similar to SAO! *GASP* I know it's terrible but that's why I've turned to you, Animesuki Forum members, for help. Now without further ado here is my request to you!

First off I will provide a list of series' I have watched similar to SAO along with explanations as to why I loved them or hated them!

Sword Art Online
Loved the art style, subtle romance and the dramatic feel of the whole series. I enjoyed the whole "Trapped in a cyber world" concept quite a bit and I believe that's what drew me to it.

.hack//sign
Loved the music in particular when it comes to this series, it helped set the plot in place for me. A lot of the same reasons I loved SAO was because I had watched this beforehand.

Accel World
Wasn't all too fond of this series in all honesty, the only reason I watched it was because I heard it was set in the same universe as SAO

Summer Wars
Just recently watched this movie. I liked it but probably only because of it's romance and suspense

Btooom!
Loved the darker theme to this series, reminded me of the movie "Condemned" which I also loved. Enjoyed the subtle romance as I could kind of relate ^^;

Deadman Wonderland
Once again, loved the darker theme to this series. I liked that it took risks and followed through with them in a similar way that Elfen Lied did

Chrome Shelled Regios
I enjoyed the post apocalyptic feeling this series threw off. I know a few people might say that it isn't really similar in contrast to SAO but when I think of SAO this series pops into my head for some reason

Zero no Tsukaima
I enjoyed the medieval feeling in this one as much as I did in SAO, the romance was a little different but none the less Romance still holds the #1 slot on my favorite genres

Attack on Titan
I am currently watching this series, it reminded me a lot of SAO in the fact that it picked up a lot of hype even though it doesn't have that many episodes lol

Guilty Crown
To be perfectly honest, I can't remember much of this series but whenever I ask friends they recommend this series saying it's similar to SAO. As I do not make a habit of rewatching shows that didn't really catch my attention I have no intention of rewatching this

Mirai Nikki TV
This series hurt my brain by the end of it but none the less I loved the darker sides that this series had to offer.

Fate/Stay Night
Loved the historical tie ins, the romance was brilliant however I disliked the ending. I feel they could have made it a little less dramatic.

Alrighty! With that beast of a list out of the way and all the explanations in check I feel the need to now point out what exactly I'm looking for! For starters I'd prefer anything dealing with people either being trapped in a virtual world or at least a large portion of the show takes place in an online world. Romance is a must, I'm a mushy, soft hearted guy deep down so that's why. I'd like a little bit of action involved to keep my attention glued to the screen (preferably dealing with the typical underdog story) and "paranormal" or "Sci-fi" elements are always welcome.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses!

Youtube Channel: Click Here
Cattelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 08:01   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
For starters I'd prefer anything dealing with people either being trapped in a virtual world or at least a large portion of the show takes place in an online world.
I haven't watched it myself yet but the currently airing Log Horizon seems to fit this description exactly.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 09:25   Link #3
chaos_alfa

If you liked Fate/Stay Night you will also like its prequel, Fate/Zero.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-10-22 at 10:44.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 09:30   Link #4
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I haven't watched it myself yet but the currently airing Log Horizon seems to fit this description exactly.
Have watched it. Log Horizon perfectly fit your description.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 13:20   Link #5
Marina2

I recommend Tower of druaga. It has old RPG-game feeling (because it is based on RPG game) its story doesn't set in an online-game, however. Oh, please remember that the first ep. is a joke. The real story start in the second ep.
Old 2013-10-22, 13:53   Link #6
Zakoo

How about you try Shakugan no Shana if you liked Zero no tsukaima ?

if you like it, you just need to continue on others Light Novel adapted, there's some good one in a mass of bad one.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 13:58   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Gatchaman Crowds mixes the superhero and virtual gaming genres. You might try that. I'm rather surprised it hasn't been mentioned already since it aired just this past summer. You might also try the same director's [C] where characters battle in a virtual "financial district."

I don't know if either of these will meet your needs in the romance department, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 14:22   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I recommend Tower of druaga. It has old RPG-game feeling (because it is based on RPG game) its story doesn't set in an online-game, however. Oh, please remember that the first ep. is a joke. The real story start in the second ep.
it is not a joke, it is a summary of the entire anime.
Old 2013-10-22, 17:44   Link #9
Tatsukishi
Junior Anime Addict

First I second Shakugan no Shana even though the third season was pretty disappointing for me.

Angel Beats might be worth a try too, though the romance isn't dominant.
Old 2013-10-22, 23:11   Link #10
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Elfen lied, Hellsing or Darker than Black if you like dark type of stories. Code Geass is you liked Guilty Crown. You should probably finish the rest of the .hack series, but unless you play the game it won't be as enjoyable especially with roots.
Old 2013-10-23, 01:05   Link #11
Cattelli
Canadian Anime Guru

Quote:
Elfen lied, Hellsing or Darker than Black if you like dark type of stories. Code Geass is you liked Guilty Crown. You should probably finish the rest of the .hack series, but unless you play the game it won't be as enjoyable especially with roots.
I've already seen Elfen Lied and have tried watching both Hellsing and Darker than Black but I just can't seem to get into them. Code Geass is on my "to watch" list as everybody has told me to watch it at some point, however I've heard mixed reports on it and that's made me hold off so far.

Quote:
Angel Beats might be worth a try too, though the romance isn't dominant.
Seen it, Loved it.

----------------------------------

Figured I'd add an update so people wouldn't recommend some shows I've already seen ^^ Thanks for the suggestions everybody I've already added 3 shows to my "to watch" list hahah.

Old 2013-10-23, 02:26   Link #12
Knightrunner

With the themes you mention Angel Beats is a good light-heart anime. I would highly recommend Steins;gate if you give the first 2 episodes a chance.
Old 2013-10-23, 05:12   Link #13
Cattelli
Canadian Anime Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
With the themes you mention Angel Beats is a good light-heart anime. I would highly recommend Steins;gate if you give the first 2 episodes a chance.
I've already seen Angel Beats and it was amazing ^^ Steins gate is another one on my "to watch" list however I have had the same issue that I have with Code Geass and due to conflicting comments I've held off on watching it until I can decide to give it a shot! Thanks for the recommendations though!

Old 2013-10-23, 09:08   Link #14
Tatsukishi
Junior Anime Addict

Ok, with the additional series you watched I have some more suggestions that just take place in a fantasy world and not trapped somewhere.

Dragon Crisis! is a cute love story with a good portion of action in it.

Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi has some similarities to Shakugan no Shana, though the "couple" forms in the first two episodes.
Old 2013-10-23, 15:50   Link #15
Dawnstorm

Maybe Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. The show links romance and horror through sexual fetishes, and still manages to have plenty of heartwarming moments. You have to see it to believe it. Studio Gokumi's master piece.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 20:20   Link #16
Alectran3
Typical Otaku

11Eyes might work
It's just about a blood moon sort of thing and it seems pretty similar o.o
Alectran3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 03:16   Link #17
Cattelli
Canadian Anime Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alectran3 View Post
11Eyes might work
It's just about a blood moon sort of thing and it seems pretty similar o.o
I believe I've already seen that one ^^ It was pretty good :P Thanks for the suggestion though!

all together from this thread I've gotten quite a few shows I need to watch hahah. I'm 2 episodes from finishing "Tower of Druaga" season 2 (sword of uruk) xD anyway thanks everybody!

Tags
recommendations, sao, suggestions, sword art online, virtual reality