AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 22:04   Link #101
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
are you comparing with anime? it's like comparing apples to oranges. 1 volume of Light Novel can have enough text for two seasons worth of anime.
I'm sorry but I don't understand which part of my post you think I was comparing with anime.
Old 2010-10-16, 21:18   Link #102
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Just read chapter 4 of the LN and well all I can say is I can't wait to see this part in the anime!

The part with him standing up to his father was strangely intense.

Kyousuke's countermeasure for dealing with the +18 rated stuff was I kind expected it but was pretty funny.

But what I loved was the end, that was great!
That part I really can't wait to see!
Old 2010-10-16, 23:10   Link #103
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Heh, months ago from just seeing the illustrations I pretty much figured out what would happen, and even correctly predicted the exact line with context that would end the novel.

Poor Kyousuke. As if his family didn't not care about him enough in the first place...
Old 2010-10-17, 11:10   Link #104
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand which part of my post you think I was comparing with anime.
oh my bad, I meant when you said that it was slow. 'Slow' in comparison to anime right? Since for the amount of text in Ore no Imouto (I've looked through volume 1), I won't call it slow. And the translator is already on volume 2, just that chapter 4 and chapter 1 of volume 2 is waiting to be edited and translation smoothened (and the quality of the translation and editing was pretty good). A chapter per month for an LN that is made up of 6 to 7 chapters (~300 pages) can be considered as average speed. Ore no Imouto is made up of roughly the same number of pages with 4 chapters for volume 1, and contains a decent amount of descriptive text, which means more text per page, so a chapter every two months can be considered as average speed. That means it's about average speed to get volume 1 up in 6 to 8 months, so it could only be 'slow' if compared to anime or to compared to our sense of time in life, which of course should not be compared, but compared to other translation works for LN (under the same condition of only 1 translator for a title), it's not slow at all.

Last edited by larethian; 2010-10-17 at 11:26.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 14:30   Link #105
chaosprophet

Chapter 4 was awesome! With what I read of the manga plus the novel summaries I read I had an idea of what was going to happen there. Even so it was much better than I expect. I really love novels and all the amount of detail you cna have on them. An being able to see Kyousuke's POV is really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
oh my bad, I meant when you said that it was slow. 'Slow' in comparison to anime right? Since for the amount of text in Ore no Imouto (I've looked through volume 1), I won't call it slow. And the translator is already on volume 2, just that chapter 4 and chapter 1 of volume 2 is waiting to be edited and translation smoothened (and the quality of the translation and editing was pretty good). A chapter per month for an LN that is made up of 6 to 7 chapters (~300 pages) can be considered as average speed. Ore no Imouto is made up of roughly the same number of pages with 4 chapters for volume 1, and contains a decent amount of descriptive text, which means more text per page, so a chapter every two months can be considered as average speed. That means it's about average speed to get volume 1 up in 6 to 8 months, so it could only be 'slow' if compared to anime or to compared to our sense of time in life, which of course should not be compared, but compared to other translation works for LN (under the same condition of only 1 translator for a title), it's not slow at all.
They released first chapter in December 25 of last year and chapter 4 in October 16. So thats almost 10 months and that's not even counting how long they took for ch 1 as I don't know when they started it. And then between ch 3 and 4 there was a gap of around 6 months. So it seems to be slow lately for me, even novel wise.

Of course, it wasn't my intention to word it as a complain. I was only trying to answer the question in a realistic manner (and i even said seems so as I only know the day they decide to release every chapter). I'm really glad someone is doing it. I have an idea how hard and tiring should be to translate a novel. They're expending their free time, that nowdays tend to be short for many people, and doing it for free so other fans can enjoy.
Old 2010-10-17, 21:25   Link #106
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Chapter 4 was awesome! With what I read of the manga plus the novel summaries I read I had an idea of what was going to happen there. Even so it was much better than I expect. I really love novels and all the amount of detail you cna have on them. An being able to see Kyousuke's POV is really great.

They released first chapter in December 25 of last year and chapter 4 in October 16. So thats almost 10 months and that's not even counting how long they took for ch 1 as I don't know when they started it. And then between ch 3 and 4 there was a gap of around 6 months. So it seems to be slow lately for me, even novel wise.

Of course, it wasn't my intention to word it as a complain. I was only trying to answer the question in a realistic manner (and i even said seems so as I only know the day they decide to release every chapter). I'm really glad someone is doing it. I have an idea how hard and tiring should be to translate a novel. They're expending their free time, that nowdays tend to be short for many people, and doing it for free so other fans can enjoy.
Ok I see. I didn't really track their progress dates. But like I mentioned, it was somewhere in their blog that the chapters were done just waiting for editing. Translating a novel can indeed be time-draining. For Westerner translators especially, their archille's heel is normally kanji, and if the furigana is not there, they often have to spend loads of time to do a multiple-radical search for each and every kanji. For translators belonging to the non-native English speakers with Chinese origins in the East (China, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia), recognizing kanji quickly is not a problem but converting to natural English is. Though I'll prefer 20 slow translators who can do a chapter in 6 months each rather than 1 fast translator who can do a volume in a month (I only know of two or three such people though). Hopefully, more people are willing to contribute little by little in future, and see it as means to improve their Japanese.
Old 2010-10-18, 07:46   Link #107
arias

I've read all the visual novels and the core development between brother and sister isn't THAT interesting.. fingers crossed stuff actually happens in book 7.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 12:55   Link #108
AlaAlba

@arias: isn't that interesting? you should have dropped it on vol 1 then. what's with the time wasting, even so for 6 vols.

Spoiler:
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 21:12   Link #109
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
I've read all the visual novels and the core development between brother and sister isn't THAT interesting.. fingers crossed stuff actually happens in book 7.
you mean light novels right?
Old 2010-10-25, 02:16   Link #110
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Im sorry for throwing my question in here, but i still have the same big '?' on my forehead about, does someone know, if the novels will be somewhen in our livetimes, aviable in english?

Im following this series for around one year, trying to get the novels read, somehow.
Yea I gave up hope on English translations for light novels. Went on to search Korean translations for OreImo, and was blessed with, including but not limited to, Fate/Zero, Atraxia, Katanagatari, the rest of the gatari's, Asura Cryin, all up to date.Sadly, no Shana and only 2 vol of Index.

Oh back to topic, only 3 vols of OreImo... But 15ch of manga, of which 14 were covered by anime already...
Spoiler for ch14:

Spoiler for ch15:
Old 2010-10-27, 01:56   Link #111
Excorsism

I have to say, after reading the novels plus the inevitable spoilerific summaries at a certain website and proceeding to read the manga + watch the anime, it really helps put things into perspective. At least, based on the first few chapters of the manga and anime episodes, I can already see that Kirino doesn't really hate her brother all that much to begin with. As a contrast to what Kyousuke seems to believe in the first volume of the novel.
Old 2010-10-27, 04:17   Link #112
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I caved and read all the summaries. It was totally worth it . I'm glad that Saori/Kuroneko/Ayase get their chance to shine.

Not quite sure what to think of possible wincest. It won't make me hate the series; I like the supporting characters a lot, but I definitely don't welcome it.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 10:23   Link #113
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
actually, I think that Kirino herself may be a stretch of reality that can challenge the suspension of disbelief of some people. To put it bluntly, she is a female otaku with "male taste", who plays 18+ eroge and is into imouto type of characters---simply because she finds them cute (this, from what I gather so far of the translated light novel; I don't know if there's a much deeper meaning behind her hobbies). her character doesn't exactly sound like someone you would expect to really exist; perhaps, I would have more readily accepted her character (or hobbies) had she turned out to be a fujoshi or a less "hardcore" otaku, who isn't necessarily into imouto type of characters. That's why, I think that the enjoyment of this work depends on how willing you are to accept Kirino as a character, or the situation her older brother currently faces as she tries to share her secret hobbies with him.
Sorry for replying to an old post but i think that post is kinda wrong. Why can't girls be into erige. I am a girl who plays eroge and dislike yaoi. I know a lot of people like me. I don't think that you should have such a onesided wiew of females. You know liking eroge more than otomegames doesn't make you lesbian or something and there is nothing weird with a female liking them. yes Fujoshis are certainly more common but Kirino's role isn't a stretch at all.
Old 2010-10-27, 18:12   Link #114
Shadow5YA

Kirino's character is a stretch not because she likes eroge aimed at males. Her character is unrealistic because she's literally good at everything she does. She's excels at both sports and academics. Not only is she a professional model who pays for her own hobbies, but her hobby is stereotypically the antithesis of her image honor student, sports star and professional model. She pretty much has all areas covered.

Kirino's unlimited talents are a characteristic of a romance. Characters are portrayed as great in one way or another without some realistic limit or description of their abilities. That's what a romance is all about: the stuff of dreams, and how ideal or great something can be imagined.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 01:43   Link #115
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Embrace the wincest, no point in denying the inevitable.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 02:52   Link #116
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Kirino's character is a stretch not because she likes eroge aimed at males. Her character is unrealistic because she's literally good at everything she does. She's excels at both sports and academics. Not only is she a professional model who pays for her own hobbies, but her hobby is stereotypically the antithesis of her image honor student, sports star and professional model. She pretty much has all areas covered.

Kirino's unlimited talents are a characteristic of a romance. Characters are portrayed as great in one way or another without some realistic limit or description of their abilities. That's what a romance is all about: the stuff of dreams, and how ideal or great something can be imagined.
Not really, she wasn't born like this. She was an average student but then she started working her ass off to achieve everything she have.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 20:40   Link #117
lightbringer
M9000

I've known some people back in highschool who excelled both at sports and studies and were super popular to boot, so those types definitely exist. As for what hobbies they secretly had - who knows?
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 02:21   Link #118
Raiga
tl;dr

Picked up vol. 2 and 3 last weekend and today managed to struggle to the end of chapter 1 of vol. 2 (still learning Japanese, this is practice).

Having seen the anime version of these events first it was interesting the slightly different impressions I had. Kyousuke seemed less pushed around by Kirino in the beginning, actually saying a few words of resistance. When Kirino's talking to her friends, the difference in her behavior is a bit more obvious (it helps that Kyousuke explicitly points it out). Also he didn't spend all day playing eroge like Kirino asked him to (unless I grossly misread) but was killing time researching pillows on Google. The scene where Kyousuke's listening in on the girls' conversation felt a bit odd in the anime but his reactions made more sense after I read the novel scene.

On the other hand I thought some of the humor was better executed in the anime, but then again my snail-slow reading pace probably killed the timing of the jokes in the novel... still, I liked the anime version of, "Ero stuff?" "To say the least!" "I'LL CALL YOU BACK!" better than the novel version which had Saori go on for a while after the first two lines.

Also, right hand protecting head vs. right hand groping boob...
Old 2010-10-30, 13:52   Link #119
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Not really, she wasn't born like this. She was an average student but then she started working her ass off to achieve everything she have.
This is true, but even with effort, the number of real life people who could literally excel in every area are very rare.

You tell me who has time needed to practice to become the star athlete, model professionally, keep up with studies, and still have a hardcore hobby at the age of 14.

Kirino is far from realistic.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 21:33   Link #120
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This is true, but even with effort, the number of real life people who could literally excel in every area are very rare.

You tell me who has time needed to practice to become the star athlete, model professionally, keep up with studies, and still have a hardcore hobby at the age of 14.

Kirino is far from realistic.
She's not that of a "star" athelete, it's only that she practices a little harder than the others, if you mean by a star atheletes who have a bunch of scouts following her anywhere then she's not. The level of her "star"ness is just among housewifes XD
And smart people usually can keep up studies without studying, so her study time at home might be minimal, only for doing the homeworks,

news on 7th, it will be out on 10th this month only 9 days left
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings