AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Grand Order - First Order Rating
Perfect 10 3 9.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 9.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 25.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 38.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 16.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-01-01, 12:33   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fate/Grand Order - First Order Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fate/Grand Order - First Order.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 13:15   Link #2
Twi

Well, I caught a viewing of it and posted a spoiler review on my blog, but to keep it short:

Ultimately, this was nothing more than a glorified commercial for Fate Grand Order. It’s a beautiful commercial, mind you, and I want more of it. But it doesn’t really have any depth on its own and relies solely on being a fan of the Fate Franchise to even understand the concepts beyond going to the past to save the future. The characters are hamstrung from the moment of its creation because they can’t dedicate any depth to them (especially Olga) and the only one who really stands out is Caster.

If it had more episodes, it could be great.
Old 2017-01-01, 13:49   Link #3
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As someone who is versed in nasuverse but didn't bother with FGO, it was an incredibly dull and boring experience.
Absolutely no character was interesting to the slightest except maybe Cu chulainn as caster. Olga was particularly irritating for her general behaviour, so her demise wasn't particularly shoking or saddening to the slightest.

But the real problem was the direction and general screenplay: we are just thrown in an exposition dump for a very long time without much proper transition between the scenes.
Why not using Ritsuka's recruitment as a background exposure? I mean, we don't even know why he was unconscious in the middle of the base. They don't even bother giving him reason to care about Chaldea mission whatsoever. He was basically a blank slate. And I certainly don't believe that "the protagonist of FGO is a merely self insert one so of course he has no background" argument is any pertinent. You just don't roll with a game feature as if it makes any sense in a media with a specific narrative. I mean they even gave him a name after all.

Fight choregraphy wasn't exactly impressive by any mean. In fact, it is just painful how they have to spell out EVERYTHING on screen to explain to the audience what the servants are trying to do (the biggest offender was Lancer explaining to Mash what was her lance properties).
Meanwhile, Saber Alter was incredibly slow and passive. It was particularly surprising that she was just walking around at some point and just didn't relentlessly smash Mash's shield to bits.

Production wise, it was simply average standards. Not like it would be pertinent to compare that to Ufotable FZ and UBW, but even on its own, First Order had a lot of stills and hardly any ambitious attempts to make the fights interesting (save maybe few instance in Caster VS Archer).

Almost felt like a waste of time, really.
Old 2017-01-01, 16:38   Link #4
AkitoW013

It's a commercial for the mobage, you shouldn't have expected something like the series produced by Ufotable in the first place.

As for me, it wasn't mediocre or excellent, I've expected less than what I've watched but it was good enough for a mobage's commercial.

I hope we'll have the other singularities but I don't think it'll happen, Camelot, Babylonia and Salomon would be too much, can't wait for FGO part 2.

Last edited by AkitoW013; 2017-01-01 at 17:07.
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 17:12   Link #5
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoW013 View Post
It's a commercial for the mobage, you shouldn't have expected something like the series produced by Ufotable in the first place.

As for me, it wasn't mediocre or excellent, I've expected less than what I've watched but it was good enough for a mobage's commercial.

I hope we'll have the other singularities but I don't think it'll happen, Camelot, Babylonia and Salomon would be too much, can't wait for FGO part 2.
The appearances of Jeanne, Nero and Drake pretty much spell out that we are likely going up to Okeanos chapter.

That said the first half in Chaldea was in the boring side. And the Fuyuki part really felt like it picked up when Caster Cu showed up. Also, we have been dumped with too much info that only Fate franchise veterans can hope to grasp. This is not the one series you'd recommend to introduce to Fate and I doubt it did a better job at advertising the game tbh.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 17:15   Link #6
Gaulek

It was a good special episode.
I thought it will be way shorter and it would have less good animation, but I was glad that it last this long and the animation was good.
Caster was pretty badass in this, I always liked him.
Always nice to see Archer, he had a nice fight to watch with Caster.
Mashu was a nice character too.
The hero was bland but not annoying so it was ok, at the start he litteraly act like the player that wake up in a rpg and know nothing and ask question he should know.

They introduced their universe well, I would like to see more.
Gaulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 17:46   Link #7
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Felt like a waste killing Olga.

I liked Caster dude and Lancer Medusa even more, doe.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 17:53   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoW013 View Post
You know, I specifically stated the comparison isn't pertinent at all. I wasn't expecting anything close to the other adaptations by ufotable, but even with normal standards, it was rather plain a standalone work.

And even as a marketing product as its core, it is still an anime product. It isn't like a CM whatsoever, so it doesn't magically become exempted of regular critics and whatnot.
Old 2017-01-01, 20:45   Link #9
AC-Phoenix
Detective

So that is how they intend to bring brack Lelouch - because I already saw Suzaku

I'd say the spirit she merged with is the same one Archer copied his 9 layered shield from but its likely one of Saber's knights going by how she seemed rather familiar with her towards the end.

Oh and I spotted another Gorgan there (either Steno or Euryale) so maybe we will see Evil Medusa again. I jsut wonder hwo her master was, since Shinji was still there.
Wehther destroying the disturbance suddenly fixed the 10th Holy grail war, (or whichever it is, where they are repeating this time) is kinda unclear to me.

M akes me want to see how it continues but apparently this is just a special for the game.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2017-01-01 at 21:15.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 21:04   Link #10
novalysis

Fujimura is so bland, that they might as well keep calling him No.48. Because that's all he is - random Shounen Harem Protagonist number 48.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 07:07   Link #11
Tenzen12

And that's kids what happens when Cuchulain get slightly better luck...

Obviously plot had its flaws, after all Fuyuki was never full fledged story in first place, it was just action prologue. But aside these of inherited flaws it was pretty good imho. I really wonder how they are going do bigger "war" stories like Orleans or Rome considering they did lot of cuts even here...

Also no Da Vinci-chan suck big time and Fujimaru would be great with more personality. Also I hope Gudako will be alright after that accident, it would be nice if she seen again aside of this brief cameo.
Old 2017-01-02, 07:13   Link #12
Twi

We can't help but compare it to the main Fate Series by the virtue of being a movie and coming out a year after UBW. Fujimura was horrible and made me wish he was Emiya, Olga was a discount Rin, and Flauros was a hamtastic Kirei.

Cu was the main selling point here. All Cu.
Old 2017-01-02, 07:19   Link #13
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Speaking of Rin, it seems that none of the Masters in this Fuyuki were lucky, if you were to believe what Caster Cu said.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 07:28   Link #14
Twi

I'd suspect as much. Otherwise they'd steal the show.
Old 2017-01-02, 07:35   Link #15
Yamada II

This was pretty interesting. This is kinda like a combination of all the Fate/whatevers. They're showing here that all those holy grail wars are happening in the same universe but at different times. And at each time there is that professor doing something to screw humanity to make sure everyone dies by December 2016. Looks like he failed because 2016 just ended lol.

Lol Lancer didn't have to kill himself or anything and he was actually the last one standing in front of Saber. He totally deserved it. Liked how he was saying that he's not used to being a caster. He was wrongly summoned as a caster; he was supposed to be summoned as a Lancer only to kill himself. Lancer sure doesn't like good ends lol. The battle between him and Archer looked like the continuation of the one in FSN in front of the church (I think).

Now the two have to time travel to different holy grail wars in different time periods and stop Leff.

The scene where Mash is getting crushed by a big ass piece of rubble and Ritsuka is just sitting there so calm was super weird. That was probably the most off-putting death I've ever seen. Ritsuka was acting all is well and was even nekoing asking Mash if she's okay. Like hell she's okay!

The animation was okayish I think. Obviously they weren't any match for the other recent Fate show, but they were passable I guess. The Archer vs Lancer turned Caster fight had some cool moments.

I like what they've got going here and I'd like to see more. I would play the game but I don't know Japanese and other methods are too much of a pain (the game's not even available here on Google play anyway).
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 08:23   Link #16
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
We can't help but compare it to the main Fate Series by the virtue of being a movie and coming out a year after UBW. Fujimura was horrible and made me wish he was Emiya, Olga was a discount Rin, and Flauros was a hamtastic Kirei.

Cu was the main selling point here. All Cu.
Servants are clearly meant to be the selling point here, and honestly, if they all turn out as good as Cu, that's fine.

Something tells me a good dose of dragon yandere berserker and kind of dragon idol lancer would dispel a lot of complaints about quality and whatnot
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 08:36   Link #17
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There is no need for specific servants' appearance to dispel the complaints. What that special needed was a GOOD storyboard. Every exposure scene was about talking heads without really anything else to alleviate the infodump aspect of such scenes. Shoehorning forced chatters during a fight would obviously hurt if it wasn't relevant to said fight (Caster's jabs at Archer were OK. Lancer's? Definitely not).
Lastly, you just don't make the "final" boss doing nothing but slowly attacking a standing still shield bearer then using stand still beam against it. What's more is that instead of simply dashing to the side and attacking Mash, Saber Alter just charged another beam (which could potentially bounce back at her again). That's the best way to make a fight beyond dull.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-01-02 at 12:40. Reason: typoes
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 12:34   Link #18
AC-Phoenix
Detective

I just hope this wasn't a one shot I'd really like to see Mordred and Euryale as Servants. Although is it necessary they appear as servants? I mean if the story goes to Camelot Mordred and Arthuria were alive as humans.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2017-01-02, 12:44   Link #19
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I just hope this wasn't a one shot I'd really like to see Mordred and Euryale as Servants. Although is it necessary they appear as servants? I mean if the story goes to Camelot Mordred and Arthuria were alive as humans.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2017-01-02, 13:43   Link #20
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Spoiler for Answer:

Other thing I wonder is whether things turn back to normal aftere the distortions get cleared and moreover the how manyth grail war the 2016 one was, Lancer at least remembered having fought against Archer several times (this Archer also looked more like he was actually Adult Shirou, than the skilled Archer we know. - might be the corruption though.