AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-05, 16:00   Link #1
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Tiresome dreams-what to do?

So, lately I've been having the most boring dreams of my life, like:
1) I'm in my room, formatting my PC and I spend all night watching it update...forcefully woke up at 86% or something because I was bored out of my mind.
2) This one was yesterday, I dreamt I had to go to the supermarket, got stuck in traffic, then spend the rest of the night looking for parking
I found some officers and whatnot who suggested that I turn left next block and park at building A, but I was thinking "to hell with it" and woke up.

This would be funny if I didn't wake up tired, but everytime I have these kinds of dreams it feels like I've spent the entire night awake, doing whatever I was dreaming I was doing (walking included) and spend the rest of the day in a weakened state.
Note that although I have a driver's license I've never taken the car out for anything and although I've been through 4 PCs I've never formatted any of them (or even watched them during that time, either), so they're not flashbacks and definitely not things I WANT to experience.
So my question is, what could the cause of these dreams be, and how can I stop them? Many thanks to anyone who bothers answering
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 16:15   Link #2
hinakatbklyn

Let's see if I can remember what I did before I went to sleep and ended up with weird dreams. It would have to be either going to sleep late, or roughly less than an hour before going to sleep, having a late snack. That could also happen during the day on my day off, so I can't be too sure.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 16:18   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
2) This one was yesterday, I dreamt I had to go to the supermarket, got stuck in traffic, then spend the rest of the night looking for parking
I found some officers and whatnot who suggested that I turn left next block and park at building A, but I was thinking "to hell with it" and woke up.
Well this is obviously a dream about your latent homosexuality trying to come forth. The car jam and parking situation are all reflective of the conformity you are trying to place on yourself, but constantly feel frustrated at. You even seek help from an officer, asking instructions on how park, i.e. "fit in", before firmly rejecting their advice and the situation, and waking up to embrace your new self....

Joking aside, it was probably something you did before going to bed. Dreams are, many times, influenced by either what you are doing right before going to sleep (watching horror movies, read a boring article, drinking milk, etc) or something more long term (stress, etc). Both dreams do seem to be rooted in doing something tedious, so there could be something in your current lifestyle that is leaving you unfulfilled to the point of frustration.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 16:37   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
a dream about your latent homosexuality trying to come forth. The car jam and parking situation are all reflective of the conformity you are trying to place on yourself, but constantly feel frustrated at.
How could this have eluded meeee!
Quote:
Both dreams do seem to be rooted in doing something tedious
Although my life does have a very typical routine of commuting 4h a day and spending a few hours in front of the computer, it's not something that bores me; I've been doing both for over 4 years already, time flies anywhere I go except some intensely boring lectures, which I skip. There's also other dreams that have absolutely nothing to do with my lifestyle, for example mountain climbing with rope and pickaxe and waking up exhausted and out of breath o_0
Every night before I go to sleep I either read manga (kinda like how kids are being read fairy tales) or browse AS, both of which I enjoy...Addressing stress, I only build up as much as needed for my current exams, which end in exactly one week, I'm generally calm and don't tend to freak out.
Quote:
unfulfilled to the point of frustration.
The only unfulfilled things I actually do get frustrated about are not having a job and not having an income, which are pretty much connected...not planning on getting one till I'm out of uni though, so as long as nobody mentions it I don't think about it...really hurts when people throw hints tho >_<

Last edited by Kafriel; 2010-02-05 at 16:48.
Old 2010-02-05, 18:01   Link #5
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I noticed that I will have weird dreams if I sleep a normal amount, wake up in the morning and then go back to sleep. After going to sleep the second time I will usually have a weird dream. Basically... sleeping too long. Which could apply to you if you're a student. Even without dreams, if I wake up anytime after 10am I will feel like crap... always.

I'm really not sure, but it might also have to do with temperature? When I go back to sleep and have weird dreams it's usually quite warm... this is just complete speculation though and it's just my personal belief.

And just randomly: the dreams I have frustrate me because it's usually me trying to run or walk and gravity feeling like it just increased tenfold. Or it's about driving a car with brakes that never seem to apply hard enough...
Old 2010-02-05, 18:10   Link #6
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
And just randomly: the dreams I have frustrate me because it's usually me trying to run or walk and gravity feeling like it just increased tenfold. Or it's about driving a car with brakes that never seem to apply hard enough...
You think that's weird?

I once had a dream that I was one of three kings living in the same castle. That's already strange. The other two were friends of mine from ages ago. One night I wake up to see this creature looking like Alien with batwings sizing me up for a meal. It suddenly blows up and I see this soldier with a huge laser rifle. He's wearing an armor that looks like a cross-over between a stormtrooper and Master Chief, who tells me that I need to leave quickly. My friend, the other king, is laughing like made behind him so I ask what's going on. That's when the third king, my other friend, walks in. He has an afro, cheecks that look horribly red because of how much make up he's wearing, and he has an apron and a tutu gown. Finally, he's carrying a tray with drinks on them and asks if I would like one. That's when the second king tells me that he played with the cards.

If that's not weird, I don't know what is
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 18:54   Link #7
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
I've been having a lot of nightmares lately. My newest one was where I moved to a old house near a river, fishing. I randomly leave my rod on the doc to come back with a drink when I find my rod gone. I start diving down and then I feel like something is biting my leg only to find just my friend down there giving me my rod. Then when I got a hold of the rod I went unconscience and woke up with my friend having a glass of "Red Wine" and playing with a bloody knife then I get up to find myself with all my organs out. After that I woke up and ran to the kitchen for a bottle water.

What cause that, I think its due to the fact I have been watching lost tapes too much, or eating too much at night o.o

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 19:01   Link #8
Seitsuki
Onee!

Scientifically speaking dreams are experienced to help you in real life; a random example would be if you dreamed you were chased by some big tentacled thing then it's really training your "fight-or-flight" instinct so should you ever be in a dangerous situation instead of just standing there you react faster and get the hell out of the place. This worked great way back when life was simple but with the lifestyle many people have nowdays, the new worries and priorities (biggest fear now may be getting fired rather than being chased by somet predator) your dreams will still try and help you but obviously something is gonna get lost in translation along the way ^^;
thats just an explaination, no idea what to do about it -3-
Old 2010-02-05, 19:56   Link #9
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
So, lately I've been having the most boring dreams of my life, like:
1) I'm in my room, formatting my PC and I spend all night watching it update...forcefully woke up at 86% or something because I was bored out of my mind.

This would be funny if I didn't wake up tired, but everytime I have these kinds of dreams it feels like I've spent the entire night awake, doing whatever I was dreaming I was doing (walking included) and spend the rest of the day in a weakened state.
Note that although I have a driver's license I've never taken the car out for anything and although I've been through 4 PCs I've never formatted any of them (or even watched them during that time, either), so they're not flashbacks and definitely not things I WANT to experience.
So my question is, what could the cause of these dreams be, and how can I stop them? Many thanks to anyone who bothers answering
By any chance do you have these dreams really often? and you retain them longer than others? if thats the case you may just be sleeping lighter for some ( there are quite a few) reason(s). Especially if you feel tired the rest of the day. It might just have been what was going on in your head at the time.

not to scare you or anything....
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 21:26   Link #10
Lost Cause

Dreams

Ok here's my $0.2 worth. It almost sounds to me like your in a rut. In other words you've been doing the same thing day after day and your brain is bored. Try this,do something different tomorrow,not anything drastic but something to break up your usual day-to-day routine. Even the most minor thing might just snap your brain into thinking "Hey this is different"! And might let you sleep peacefully. Just don't do what I did last night,I read 4 chapters on the Seige of Stalligrad and that night dreamt I was a Russian solider fighting the Nazis! Today I was dead on my feet! Anyway hope this helps.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 00:50   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I noticed that I will have weird dreams if I sleep a normal amount, wake up in the morning and then go back to sleep. After going to sleep the second time I will usually have a weird dream. Basically... sleeping too long. Which could apply to you if you're a student. Even without dreams, if I wake up anytime after 10am I will feel like crap... always.

I'm really not sure, but it might also have to do with temperature? When I go back to sleep and have weird dreams it's usually quite warm... this is just complete speculation though and it's just my personal belief.
I can't recall any of them specifically atm, but ussually I get weird dreams too if I go back to sleep after waking from normal amount sleep. Though I rarely feel like crap sleeping in late xD.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 00:59   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have terror mares now and then , no specific cycle or time table . Must be related to stress I don't know . Luckily I don't remember them but the recent one I remember as I had jotted it down after waking up . Lil freaky I was somewhat shocked by the surreal feeling .

Quote:

I am in an apartment and its the apartment of destiny . Sacrifices have to be made so destiny can be made . It had 3 rooms the last room was the room of destiny . The last room spoke through the mirror sending ideas into the persons head . The apartment fed on your solitude slowly driving away friends and family . Eventually driving away people close to you . The last room was storage lot of drawers steel and antique 4 to be precise . With a bed at the center ... there is hardly any space for movement . One by one it drives people in it insane . Till the victim willing to sacrifice is chosen .

I happened to was the chosen one in the end, I had to sacrifice someone who I don't remember . The person has to be set on fire so the soul can be consumed ... I did it The sacrifice gets burnt he ends up burning th bed at least parts of it. I walk out out of the room . When I return I see molasses of sugary darkness in place of the body and a liquid next to it . When I try to check what the liquid is it happens to be body fluids of the sacrifice .

And I woke up O.O
Old 2010-02-06, 02:51   Link #13
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
You think that's weird?

I once had a dream that I was one of three kings living in the same castle. That's already strange. The other two were friends of mine from ages ago. One night I wake up to see this creature looking like Alien with batwings sizing me up for a meal. It suddenly blows up and I see this soldier with a huge laser rifle. He's wearing an armor that looks like a cross-over between a stormtrooper and Master Chief, who tells me that I need to leave quickly. My friend, the other king, is laughing like made behind him so I ask what's going on. That's when the third king, my other friend, walks in. He has an afro, cheecks that look horribly red because of how much make up he's wearing, and he has an apron and a tutu gown. Finally, he's carrying a tray with drinks on them and asks if I would like one. That's when the second king tells me that he played with the cards.

If that's not weird, I don't know what is
Well I'm not really saying they're weird but that they're the kind of dreams that provide a crappy sleeping experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
I have terror mares now and then , no specific cycle or time table . Must be related to stress I don't know . Luckily I don't remember them but the recent one I remember as I had jotted it down after waking up . Lil freaky I was somewhat shocked by the surreal feeling .
You get night terrors? :O

I'm not sure what it is in my case... but have you ever experienced waking up suddenly and feeling really scared, as if something 'evil' is nearby? Or when still sleeping I believe to be hearing a loud ear-piercing shrieking/screaming as if it's right next to my ear and it scares the crap out of me before I fully wake up and realize what's going on.

I really hate those things.
Old 2010-02-06, 03:42   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
There are periods that I have good dreams, when I actually dream of things that I find important and fun.. like fanfiction in your dreams
The last couple of weeks I have been un able to dream properly, it remains blank int he morning which sucks.. it is frustrating when you want to dream but simply wont, it makes sleeping again after waking up for a second very hard and I wake up exhausted instead of rested >.<
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 04:48   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is in my case... but have you ever experienced waking up suddenly and feeling really scared, as if something 'evil' is nearby?
Almost had one of those recently, but it wasn't scary enough to wake me up...last time I remember waking up because of fear is when I was 7 and was dreaming about ghosts and skeletons at my door.
Quote:
By any chance do you have these dreams really often? and you retain them longer than others? If that's the case you may just be sleeping lighter for some ( there are quite a few) reason(s). Especially if you feel tired the rest of the day. It might just have been what was going on in your head at the time.
I get this about once every week, last two I remember were on Thursday (2 days ago) and Tuesday (11 days ago). I am indeed a light sleeper, usually staying awake for about 1:20' after I go to bed and staying semi-conscious until a bit after 5 am.
Quote:
Ok here's my $0.2 worth. It almost sounds to me like your in a rut. In other words you've been doing the same thing day after day and your brain is bored.
Wouldn't it normally go the other way round? Like, if I'm bored I would have exciting dreams to escape the daily routine or something?
Quote:
thats just an explanation, no idea what to do about it -3-
Thanks for the explanation anyway
Quote:

I avoid sleeping at noon or too early, because then sleeping at night becomes a pain and I have to wait until after 4am to get tired enough to sleep again. I usually wake up sometime between 6 and 7am, and stay in bed for a few more hours (went to bed at 1am yesterday, got up at 11 today). How much sleep should we get?
Quote:
Luckily I don't remember them but the recent one I remember as I had jotted it down after waking up .
Although I don't write down my dreams, I do remember most of them, and they all take place at certain imaginary locations:
1) the second and third floor of my house
2) my university
3) my town (always specific locations like marketplace, TCG shop, church or park (night), school, supermarket, forest, bridge, etc.)
4) A town on a faraway island I had visited once, my grandparents had a house there and I had explored it enough to make a dream map like in #3.
Of course, each place has its own unique traits that make me realize I'm dreaming, perhaps that's why waking up is easier for me.
Old 2010-02-06, 07:08   Link #16
Irkalla
I asked for this

Haha, funny how you dreamed the formatting disk kinda part, because that is basically what your brain is doing whilst you dream about a particular thing. It's just clearing out unnecessary thoughts/fears/info and moving it from your memory into the "trash bin". If it's successful in moving it into the trash bin, you basically can't even remember that you had a dream. But if you wake up/interrupt the deleting process in between, you will remember some of it. Try to go to bed with pleasant thoughts, maybe that will help, or maybe try to fall asleep with music, sex helps too. Oh, and if you are taking some psychoactive drugs, try to stop for a while.

I don't personally remember much of my dreams, but what I can remember were mostly my deepest fears coming true. I'd be like crippled, blind or fat in my dreams..So yeah, a peaceful mind and life helps to prevent retarded dreams. What I most hate is sleep paralysis though, but thankfully that doesn't happen often.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:05   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ After reading this does it mean I haven't had a successful sleep since a decade ago?
Quote:
I'd be like crippled, blind or fat in my dreams..So yeah, a peaceful mind and life helps to prevent retarded dreams.
I get the blind one a lot in that I can almost see but stretching my eyes too much trying to get a picture. It's more annoying than scary though...anyway, thanks for the music advice, I'll be using that since sex is impossible in a house of 6 people <- lives with his parents >_<
Old 2010-02-06, 11:00   Link #18
Irkalla
I asked for this

Well, in any way, you can't prevent dreams, you can just not notice them happening. I had dreams when I got my eyes literally plucked out, horror..That was probably movie recollections + fear of blindness working there, gosh. The less I dream, the better.
Old 2010-02-06, 11:06   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Actually I think I've read somewhere about drugs for dreamless sleep, but the body gets used to them over time...but yeah I'd like to get over this normally
Note that I'm not so much bothered by the dreams themselves (although it IS tedious), but the fact that I wake up tired, as if I haven't recovered at all.
Old 2010-02-06, 11:12   Link #20
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is in my case... but have you ever experienced waking up suddenly and feeling really scared, as if something 'evil' is nearby?
This has happened quite a few times . But the frequency of these dreams are weird there is no cycle or anything . Intervals can be months or weeks .

Quite recently I had one with a portrait and nothing to do with Umineko . More so losing someone dear to a portrait of a dead drowned kid . The portrait was swallowing the person slowly .

And this is nothing to do with horror flicks as I haven't seen any with such a scenario .

Tags
dreams