AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-06-24, 17:44   Link #1
bananapills

Question Any Free Visual Novels?

I don't know if there's a thread about this so let me know if there is.

I'm looking for a free to play Visual Novel.
Something like Clannad I think although I never played a VN but I like the anime very much.
Does anyone know where I van play/download some VNs?

Last edited by bananapills; 2012-06-24 at 17:55.
bananapills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 18:26   Link #2
Forsaken_Infinity

It's nothing like Clannad but this is the VN that I tell everybody starting off to play because it's free and has a very good translation:
http://yandere.gray7.com/?page_id=50

"Brass Restoration" is a free, fully translated VN that has elements of every genre but is mostly just parodying them and is bloody damn humorous. It is very simple in its wording and presentation and everything is straightforward but it introduces you to the VN kinks nonetheless. The cast isn't half bad either. It isn't all that long and the choices are relatively obvious. There is a link to a walk-through in the project page I just linked up there in case you get lost / want all endings. It doesn't have adult material.

However, this VN is heavy with anime and manga and retro game references and some of it's humor may be completely alien to you if you don't get the references. That's just about the only reason to not suggest this VN for the newcomers. Otherwise it's just perfect.
Old 2012-06-24, 19:50   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Here's a free one that is pretty good: Katawa Shoujo

We have a discussion thread for it here too, if you want to check it out.
Old 2012-06-24, 20:28   Link #4
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

If you're looking for something heavy and doesn't cost a cent try Narcissu.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 04:22   Link #5
bananapills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
The page doesn't work (Failed to open page)
Old 2012-06-25, 09:30   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

CLANNAD is a commercial VN and costs money last time I checked. Of course piracy.

Katawa Shoujo is original English, very well done, and completely free.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:24   Link #7
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapills View Post
The page doesn't work (Failed to open page)
Oh how fun. They were live when I posted the link but they seem down atm. Not sure what's up but Taka and co. have been in the VN scene for long so I hope they aren't gone forever o_o.

You should be able to find Brass Restoration through google and since it's completely free, it doesn't matter at all where you download it from.

Btw, I would definitely recommend Katawa Shoujo as well but it's not at all lightweight like Brass Restoration would be and I am not sure if it's anywhere near as ideal a choice for newcomers to VNs.

Narcissu is also a very good one and pretty lightweight in length but not so much in content.
Old 2012-06-28, 00:40   Link #8
XGeneral2000

Actually, I think Katawa Shoujo is a pretty good VN for beginners. It's no lightweight in length (or content), but it's got very clean technical execution, and since it's originally in English to begin with, there's no locale/awkward translation issues (although amusingly, KS does occasionally sound like its native language was Japanese). A lot of people (and several I know personally) played KS as their first VN, and few dislike it; even the snobbiest of haters were converted. Free or no, this is a VN I would absolutely recommend playing.

And while I have not personally played it, I have heard good things about Narcissu.
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 16:10   Link #9
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
Actually, I think Katawa Shoujo is a pretty good VN for beginners. It's no lightweight in length (or content), but it's got very clean technical execution, and since it's originally in English to begin with, there's no locale/awkward translation issues (although amusingly, KS does occasionally sound like its native language was Japanese). A lot of people (and several I know personally) played KS as their first VN, and few dislike it; even the snobbiest of haters were converted. Free or no, this is a VN I would absolutely recommend playing.

And while I have not personally played it, I have heard good things about Narcissu.
But because it's not lightweight in length or content, it requires more effort than an ideal introductory VN would. I started VNs with Tsukihime so I totally understand that new people might still like "heavyweight" VNs but when we have a "lightweight" VN like Brass Restoration around, no reason not to recommend that first for newcomers imo.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:38   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Guys, if you are going to give a suggestion here, please do it on Visual Novels that are Free legally. Do not link to sites with tons of download links.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:53   Link #11
bananapills

I thought it was obvious. Can I repost it with a note about that it has to be legal?
Old 2012-08-05, 14:07   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapills View Post
Can I repost it with a note about that it has to be legal?
If the visual novel is free legally then you can post it here, but if you link to a site with many visual novels then all the downloads there must be legal as well.

Linking directly to a legal download within a site full of illegal ones is not allowed.
Old 2012-08-05, 14:13   Link #13
hyl
reading #hikaributts

The chances of actually finding legally free visual novels and eroge aside from those made by "doujin groups" like Narcissu and Katawa Shoujo is pretty slim.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 22:53   Link #14
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Western English VNs are pretty common nowadays. Granted, if they're legally freeware there's no guarantee that they'd have flawless art, original music and Fate/Stay Night 50+ hours of gameplay, but there are some really nice ones.

I tend to shy away from shameless self-promotion, but I've made a couple of VNs before - granted, all pretty short - and I was pretty proud of RE: Prince of Nigeria.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 13:03   Link #15
Jaden

I really liked True Remembrance. It doesn't have any branching or gameplay elements, but is certainly worth the 2-3 hours it'll take you to finish.