Oh hey, Aoshi is in this movie after all

Nice lips Shishio.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 03:09   Link #122
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Is that the skinny “bomber-batman” in the far back left? Also, where’s mustached-baldy and his giant?
Old 2014-01-02, 19:25   Link #123
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I just keep telling myself "anything that keeps interest in the franchise alive is a good thing"...

At the very least, seeing the Kyoto Arc depicted in a modestly competent live-action makes more sense than having Okada Mari bastardize it when animation has already covered it almost flawlessly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 10:54   Link #124
sa547
*Author

No offense, but why do you need to use this as an excuse to snipe at Okada? She'll not give a 1/10 of a damn from us foreigners no matter how much we complain.
Old 2014-01-04, 01:38   Link #125
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Because her changes to the Kyoto Arc were a travesty and an insult to the series?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 12:43   Link #126
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

trailer for the 2nd (and 3rd) film.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-03-20, 21:05   Link #127
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My body is not ready.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 05:58   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Full Trailer.

New song by ONE OK ROCK, "Mighty Long Fall".

Final battle seems to change to the Iron warship.

Oh shit that last scene with Shishio taking on all four heroes !

Old 2014-08-18, 06:27   Link #129
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's going to be shown in local theaters in 2 days.
Old 2014-08-18, 06:38   Link #130
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

28 August 2014 for Singapore.

Looks like I'll be able to catch it before returning to UK, I'll have to figure something out for the other film when I'm there.
Old 2014-08-18, 07:32   Link #131
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'll be watching it on August 21 straight after work.

Feel free to hate me.
Old 2014-08-21, 09:29   Link #132
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just got back from the theater.

They played the movie surprisingly straight unlike the first where they retooled and compressed a lot, though that's more of the fact that they have a lot more screen time to work with now.

As usual it's the fights that are the centerpiece and they didn't disappoint. Some people might find the pace of Himura's fights too dizzyingly fast and frenetic, but that just really emphasizes how blindingly fast he is and how Hiten Mitsurugi is a style really meant for fighting while outnumbered.

Personally though the highlight fight for me was not any of Himura's fights, but Okina's and Aoshi's fight.

Acting wise the old cast is a lot more believable and convincing, especially Takeru Satoh's Himura, while I still find Kaoru a bit too... pretty considering she actually gets into fights in this movie.

My only disappointment his how Aoshi got sort of made into a straight standard "I want to be the best in Japan" RK villain, then again he doesn't get a lot of screen time in the movie. On the other hand, Soujiro's actor was completely spot on, all the way from his empty smile to the way he hops when he fights.
Old 2014-08-29, 10:51   Link #133
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
My only disappointment his how Aoshi got sort of made into a straight standard "I want to be the best in Japan" RK villain, then again he doesn't get a lot of screen time in the movie. On the other hand, Soujiro's actor was completely spot on, all the way from his empty smile to the way he hops when he fights.
Agreed! Aoshi was reduced to a psychopath obsessed with revenge. He doesn't get a lot of characterization either. Makes me think that perhaps he would have been better off as the big baddie in the first film. That way, he would have been given more exposure and character build up. Kamiki was awesome, he was my favorite in this film. Even Soujiro's shukuchi was realistically adapted for the live action version. It gave him an almost reckless fighting style yet incredibly deadly and efficient. His fight scene with Kenshin was well-executed. In fact, the action sequences in this film were much better than in the first one.

I wasn't too fond of Fujiwara as Shishio though. I understand that it's difficult to act behind those bandages but other actors have done more acting with just their eyes or mouths exposed than he did. I just didn't see and feel Shishio's malevolence in his portrayal. All I saw was just a badly burned guy wrapped in mummy-like bandages, nothing more.

The other characters like Okina and the rest of the Oniwabanshu were nothing but fodder in the film. Hopefully, they'll get more screen time in the next film.

I am looking forward to seeing Hiko in the Legend Ends though. Masaharu Fukuyama seems like a good choice. I guess we shall see.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2014-09-02 at 21:58.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 22:16   Link #134
larethian

We need a more petite girl for Misao jeez. This Aoshi thingy must be confusing people who have no past experience with the franchise. The action was pretty nice some places, and I seem to be seeing a lot of Ryuutsuisen. Was that Seijuurou at the end?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 23:40   Link #135
kiak666

Trailer for Part 2, introducing none other than Hiko!!!

kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 10:35   Link #136
larethian

I guess we won't be seeing much of the other ten swords other than Soujiro.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 08:26   Link #137
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

As long as they don't do : Amaka-hit-the-head-with-the-hilt Ryuu no Hirameki, It's going to be good.

Otherwise, I agree with most sentiments about Aoshi. What they should've done was play the Kanryuu/Aoshi angle straight, instead of needlessly borrowing villains from the Jinchuu arc.
Old 2014-09-02, 17:58   Link #138
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Why does it bug me so much when he does that "oro?" but..... Don't want him to stop doing it? XD
Old 2014-09-06, 09:22   Link #139
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

At 2 hours and 30 minutes it's a much longer movie than the first I believe. They manage to do some clever condensing of the key points... Well, as much as they can squeeze into a coherent story. Everyone aside from Kenshin had and maybe Kaoru had less time to develop their characters though... Definitely not for the uninitiated.

A lot of cool fight scenes this time around... I mean really ALOT. If people had complain that the first movie had too few fight scenes, this movie definitely makes up for it. Kenshin vs Goons was always a joy to watch, as for 1v1 Kenshin vs Soujiro and Okina vs Aoshi are very good. Maybe because I know that Cho is small-time so his fight isn't as impressive. Aoshi I find they manage to get across his main motivation for this arc close enough; he's still a man that felt betrayed and was consumed by the guilt of being unable to save his men-- They just skipped over an entire arc to get that point across and gave him a shaky reason to go after Kenshin.

There were a lot of girls in the theater though, wasn't expecting that. They keep giggling at wrong moments ~_~

P.S - There sure is a lot of over-acting yelling this time around though.
Old 2014-09-24, 08:07   Link #140
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just got back from watching "Rurouni Kenshin The Legend Ends". I think I heard someone have an orgasm after Himura did his you-know-what move against you-know-who.

This probably says more about the movie than anything I could otherwise use to describe it.

I guess my only complaint is that the Juppon Katana were pretty just much side characters, or something like redshirts who lasted longer than the usual.

The final third of the movie culminating with the final battle was completely glorious.