AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

Old 2014-04-10, 21:31   Link #301
Anime Online

I'm bewildered how easily people can accept the non-scenes in which Sora/Shiro combo wins.

Let me demonstrate with an analogy. Let's say there's an anime called World's Fastest Sprinter. Let's say I, as an anime character, challenges Usain Bolt, the current world champion in 100m sprint. The next scene shows me crossing the finishing line with poor Usain Bolt behind me. The audience has no idea what the heck just happened. How did I end up winning? Because .. I'm just that awesome? How can any member of audience accept that?
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 21:40   Link #302
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
I'm bewildered how easily people can accept the non-scenes in which Sora/Shiro combo wins.

Let me demonstrate with an analogy. Let's say there's an anime called World's Fastest Sprinter. Let's say I, as an anime character, challenges Usain Bolt, the current world champion in 100m sprint. The next scene shows me crossing the finishing line with poor Usain Bolt behind me. The audience has no idea what the heck just happened. How did I end up winning? Because .. I'm just that awesome? How can any member of audience accept that?
Depends on the viewers the series get, an example for your example

1. Free! type of viewers will not mind if there is fanservice and innuendo
2. Shounen type viewers will not mind as long as it looks exciting
3. Kaiji type viewers will say "wtf? gimme my 24 minutes back"
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 21:56   Link #303
Byakou

Not half bad but the bright colors are burning my eyes
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 22:01   Link #304
Birdway
Banned

Quote:

You aren't not making sense here, how do you even cheat sprinting? Your analogy to compare is wrong to begin with.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 22:20   Link #305
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

Well I'm equally bewildered by your position as well so I suppose it's even .

They key for the episode was getting an understanding for the main characters and getting them into the world. Would it have been a more fun episode delving into their setup for the online game they were playing? Or spending the majority of the episode watching a game of chess? Just so it takes even longer to actually get the story moving?

Once there are actually stakes then they can slow down and spend time focusing on the individual games. I'd rather get to the point we did than lose that time.

Per your example it's like skipping some of the warm up matches. Doesn't matter how we won (though I presume it was from running really fast ), long as they don't skip the Gold Medal competition.
Old 2014-04-11, 04:39   Link #306
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Depends on the viewers the series get, an example for your example

1. Free! type of viewers will not mind if there is fanservice and innuendo
2. Shounen type viewers will not mind as long as it looks exciting
3. Kaiji type viewers will say "wtf? gimme my 24 minutes back"
^ This. Also, I'm in between 2 and 3 but still was ok - mind you, I'm giving it a pass because it was the first episode, and because it wasn't entirely clueless (for example that remark during the chess match). But there was a lot to do and say during the episode, so I can understand that they wouldn't bother going into details of how our genius gamers beat a random nobody, it's just a way to establish them as good and advance the plot (as they earn some money to live). If it keeps doing this I'll get bored and drop it. But I hope that glimpse we got during the chess game wasn't a blunder and we'll get better insights in the next matches with higher stakes.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 07:00   Link #307
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Anther gaming anime but with siblings but got to say there just so much cheating so far
Well, so far they cheated cheaters only so in a way both sides had equal terms = fair play. But when they won in that computer game before transfer showed they can win even agains cheaters by just skills as long as game mechanics allows it (which isn't case with poker...)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 07:31   Link #308
Irisu
フフリ

Comprehending every possible states of chess? I don't think human brain has enough processing power to do that...
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 07:37   Link #309
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:

There is only so much time in an episode. Rather that spending 5 OR 10 minutes on a game that which doesn't really matter, I prefer that they progress the plot and spend time on more interesting games.

Plus it doesn't matter how they won, those games were all about explaining different aspects of how the games work, and to showcase the siblings characters.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 07:47   Link #310
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
Comprehending every possible states of chess? I don't think human brain has enough processing power to do that...
Nor a computer, for that matter . Maybe one day we'll have a quantum computer that can do that .

But yeah... I guess they meant that she could see through all the RELEVANT states, move by move. Which is how high level players do it (amongst those states there's a bunch of them that are plainly unattainable, and a bunch that are attainable but moronically wrong).

Old 2014-04-11, 08:16   Link #311
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
It does but those that are able to tend to be extremely autistic. as stated Shiro has beaten chess programs that were designed to compete against grand masters beating them 20 times in a row while alternating between going first (note it is extremely difficult to win as the second player in a perfect chess game the best you can hope for is a draw) what the anime doesn't point out is the only reason it was only 20 is she got board of it.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 08:31   Link #312
cleo

Well this 1st ep certainly was a lot of fun.
The gameworld is pure eyecandy, the characters are very likeable and I love the interaction between Sora and Shiro.

Quote:

I can easily accept those non-scenes, because imo that scene wasn't about showing how great a combo they are. We already knew that, as the first part of the ep made that pretty clear.
Upon hearing the rule: "If you're caught cheating, you automatically lose", you're bound to think people don't cheat. At least I was. But during that cardgame, the first you notice is that they do cheat. That's the point. It's part of the world-building.
I'll be very disappointed if they're gonna hop-skip-jump like this through every game, but in this case I'm fine with it.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 08:52   Link #313
Shadow5YA

Quote:

That's the point. You're not supposed to accept it. There is no way you would have legitimately won considering the circumstances, but it's a fact that you hypothetically reached the finish line first.

It's common sense that Sora wouldn't get a Royal Straight Flush so easily, but it's a fact that he had the better hand, making him the victor. However, unless the woman can provide evidence to explain how he cheated, she has no choice but to accept an unacceptable situation.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 09:09   Link #314
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Not half bad but the bright colors are burning my eyes
You'll get used to it. Madhouse has done that "bright color" thing before with KamiNai.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 09:29   Link #315
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
It does but those that are able to tend to be extremely autistic
I don't think even those people literally take into account EVERY state though. There are, literally, MANY more possible states than atoms in the universe.

Seconds since the Big Bang: 1 followed by 17 zeroes
Atoms in the universe: 1 followed by 75 zeroes
Chessboard states: 1 followed by 120 zeroes

So, even if you could analyse one position per second, it would take you ten thousand billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion times the age of the universe to think about all of them. That's of course an extremely stupid "brute force" approach, you can do better by simply ruling out pointless or wrong moves, which is how you actually play chess.

...man, all this talk makes me want to play it again, it's been a long time since my last match.

Old 2014-04-11, 09:55   Link #316
Eclipze

I wasn't bothered by the Chess or Bandits scenes much, but I felt that they should have at least shown SOMETHING done by the MC for the poker game. They went through the effort to show a number of Sleight of Hands by the opponent, but the next moment he just puts down a winning hand like that, later acknowledging to his sister that he had cheated.

Normally for a scene like this, it would make more sense for the author/studio to show the MC perform the tricks (or at least show hints) while the opponent remains cocky and is thinking that the MC will never win since they (the opponent) are cheating.

The episode seems fairy rushed as well. In other series where the MC(s) get transported to a new dimenion/world/reality, they'll usually start off disoriented and learn bits and pieces of the world's rule and nature through small scaled initial encounters.

Here, the siblings seem to become immediate pros at working the system, somehow knowing the value of the world's currency (enough to bargain with the inn keeper), going as far as to risk their lives on a bet for the poker match (without knowing exactly how effective it will be or whether the opponent hold some means of cheat-detection), all on the first day of their arrival to the world. Really?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 10:10   Link #317
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Here, the siblings seem to become immediate pros at working the system, somehow knowing the value of the world's currency (enough to bargain with the inn keeper), going as far as to risk their lives on a bet for the poker match (without knowing exactly how effective it will be or whether the opponent hold some means of cheat-detection), all on the first day of their arrival to the world. Really?

1. They see the world as game with rules. They read the rules >> understand it >>use it >>> DONE! >>> Just like any game that become easy if you understand its rules and system.

2. They don't know the value of the world's currency, but they know that the Inn keeper lied to them.

3. Cheater knows know to avoid getting caught and know how to tell if some playing honestly or not.
Old 2014-04-11, 10:27   Link #318
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I wasn't bothered by the Chess or Bandits scenes much, but I felt that they should have at least shown SOMETHING done by the MC for the poker game. They went through the effort to show a number of Sleight of Hands by the opponent, but the next moment he just puts down a winning hand like that, later acknowledging to his sister that he had cheated.

Normally for a scene like this, it would make more sense for the author/studio to show the MC perform the tricks (or at least show hints) while the opponent remains cocky and is thinking that the MC will never win since they (the opponent) are cheating.

The episode seems fairy rushed as well. In other series where the MC(s) get transported to a new dimenion/world/reality, they'll usually start off disoriented and learn bits and pieces of the world's rule and nature through small scaled initial encounters.

I don't think showing methods of cheating in poker in show for teenagers is such good idea...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 10:32   Link #319
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think showing methods of cheating in poker in show for teenagers is such good idea...
HunterXHunter never had such scruples . Dat epic coin trick scene.

Old 2014-04-11, 12:36   Link #320
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
1. They see the world as game with rules. They read the rules >> understand it >>use it >>> DONE! >>> Just like any game that become easy if you understand its rules and system.

2. They don't know the value of the world's currency, but they know that the Inn keeper lied to them.

3. Cheater knows know to avoid getting caught and know how to tell if some playing honestly or not.
They got thrown into a world with Dragons running around. It is safe to assume that things like magic might exists in that world as well. If their opponent had some form of surveillance spell that lets them record evidence that they were cheating, they would have been immediately screwed and made into slaves.

Unless the anime omitted a large amount of details on how them learned various aspects of the world from technology to value of currency etc, it seems like a pretty dumb risk to take for a bet on their first day in that world.

Point #2 makes no sense. If you don't know the value of the currency then how would you know the inn keeper is lying? Its not like they shown a scene earlier with someone else getting a better value than the inn keeper's initial offer. That knowledge was literally pulled out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
...but they did! They showed how their opponent cheated...and then decided to not show how our MC cheated. That lack of detail make his...achievements? seem a lot less impressive.

Its kind of like showing some shounen MC challenge one of the "strongest fighters", showing how impressive that opponent is, how strong their powers are, and then show, at the very next moment, the MC standing on top of that strong fighter's motionless body as a sign of victory. You are not shown what the MC did to defeat him, he just did.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game anime, strategy