AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-12-24, 20:12   Link #1
Hypado

The Best Final Battles in Anime Series

I think this subject is fascinating, very interesting. Since the last fight in
some cases, cold be a greatest moment in the story.
It is the moment of decision, to save the world, in some cases, the moment of revenge, to test the skills acquired throughout the journey it was the anime.

I watched a few animes to the end. The animes that I watched, the final battle between Goku vs Majin Boo in Dragon Ball remains at the best.
I would like you to give your opinion about this subject
For you, what was the best final battle in the history of anime?

My picks for the best:

- Goku vs Majin Boo of DRAGON BALL

I was a teengager when i see the first time this fight. Goku and Majin Boo,
with punchs, kicks, powers, explosions, e much more. I love seing, Goku ask
for help a entire human race, billions helping and the final battle e saving
Earth, your beloved planet and the universe too.

- Seiya vs Hades of SAINT SEIYA

Seiya and his Nakamas against the god of power, the great Hades. New armours, new feelings, new powers. And the final of one of the best anime ever for me IMP.

- Spike Spiegel vs Vicious of COWBOY BEBOP

The final stop of Spike space adventures. I'ts a little sad, but intense the
way he's end. The soundtrack and the animation, just perfects.

- Ichigo vs. Kugo in BLEACH

Ichigo more the help of Soul Society versus the Fullbringers. Swords fights,
magic fights, hand to hand fights, powers and etc. One of the best endings in anime.

- Matoi vs Ragyo Kiryuin in KILL LA KILL

The amazing end for an amazing anime. All the skills in the end of final test.
The music, the animation, Everything worked out in the end and made the fight get better still.

And for you? What was the best final fight in anime?

Not only creates a list, justify, discuss, take the thread seriously.

Last edited by Hypado; 2014-12-26 at 00:01.
Hypado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 20:53   Link #2
Ghiest Cid

That would be the final battle in shin hakkenden. Every time one of them dies the survivors ' artifact shine absorbing the power of the fallen. It give me goosebumps since one has on it on the eyes. What remain are two, one fight the final boss and the last one is in stassis.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 05:08   Link #3
Vegard Aune

Gonna have to say Gurren Lagann. Sure, realistically it made absolutely no sense, but the sheer scope of that fight, the scale of events, the animation-quality, the music... It was just so incomprehensibly huge that it's practically impossible to not get excited. Actually I remember the first time I saw it, I didn't just get chills... I was literally trembling by the end of it. Then my mother asked me if there was something wrong with me.
Old 2014-12-25, 08:18   Link #4
ballster147

I cast my vote on Gurren Lagann

Epic fight involving the whole universe (they literally toss the galaxies around)
Good BGM

AND
That fucking SAD ending

Spoiler for Gurren Lagann ending plot points:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2015-01-09 at 05:45. Reason: Going to put this in spoiler tags just to be safe
ballster147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 14:59   Link #5
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well I may be unoriginal with this but I'll have to say Gurren Laggan as well. More precisely the Movie version of the events. I remember being so damned hyped by the end of that movie that I noticed that I was literally standing up from my seat when the action ended. It's really hard to top the sheer level of excitement that movie imparts in the viewer.
Old 2014-12-25, 16:45   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's very hard to go for anything other than Gurren Lagann.

In addition to the strengths already mentioned, it had the following going for it:
  • Superb narrative buildup to it
  • Excellent character moments interwoven into it
  • Did not drag on overly long (a major weakness of some shounen competitors)
  • Sort of the best of both words when it comes to classic 1 vs. 1, and hero group representation
  • A near-perfect resolution (some may argue perfect, but one element of it I found somewhat disappointing)

After a few minutes of thought, I can't think of another anime final battle that I've watched that had all of those strengths going for it.

However, I will say that Shakuga no Shana III as a whole could kinda be considered a "final battle" (or at least a "final war"), and I felt that was spectacularly handled and thoroughly satisfying. Still, you'd really have to stretch the meaning of "final battle" to count all of that "final war", so yeah, hard to go against Gurren Lagann.
Old 2014-12-25, 16:53   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Gurren Lagann is probably my number one too, but since that's already been mentioned...

Ippo vs Sendo at the end of the original Hajime no Ippo series. An absolutely brutal fight, with a good balance between the "feel" of a realistic boxing match, but the style and energy of an over the top anime shounen brawl.

Also, Goku vs Freiza, though not the final battle of the series, but the final battle of that story arc, pretty damn epic.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 16:55   Link #8
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
s-CRY-ed. It didn't need to happen. Kazuma and Ryuhou had no real reason to fight anymore aside from proving who was the best. It started as a friendly battle, but by the end they're headbutting and throwing dirt in each other's faces. It's nothing but unadulterated action fight fanservice, escalated to the point of hitting space, and we see how alike the two become. Diebuster, Fist of the North Star, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, and Fate/Zero are all better action flicks, but the final episode of s-CRY-ed is the Shell Bullet that's left a permanent mark on me.

But, if we're counting final battles to conclude only story arcs...then I'd also include Kenshiro VS Souther at the end of Fist of the North Star's 3rd act for being such a spectacular flight show, or Kenshiro VS Raoh at the end of act 2 or so. Brutal.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 17:00   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
s-CRY-ed. It didn't need to happen. Kazuma and Ryuhou had no real reason to fight anymore aside from proving who was the best. It started as a friendly battle, but by the end they're headbutting and throwing dirt in each other's faces. It's nothing but unadulterated action fight fanservice, escalated to the point of hitting space, and we see how alike the two become. Diebuster, Fist of the North Star, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, and Fate/Zero are all better action flicks, but the final episode of s-CRY-ed is the Shell Bullet that's left a permanent mark on me.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou is a good choice. It did a great job of seeming like a fun flashy fight between two high-level super-powered combatants, while also being exceptionally gritty and intense at some moments. Kazuma vs. Ryuho fused that altogether in a very raw and compelling way.
Old 2014-12-25, 17:04   Link #10
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

For me when i was younger, it would be the final battle of digimon frontier, susanoomon vs lucemon and then how every digi spirit made a final slash, and omnimon vs diaboromon from the movie, because everything was almost lost, but then wargreymon and metalgarurumon made a dna fusion and started to kick some (well, a lot) asses meanwhile the time was running off; those two were epic for me, from time to time i rewatch them

for me of now, well, I dont have one, it may be TTGL as some say, but i havent watch it, so i will give it a try and then respond
Old 2014-12-25, 17:51   Link #11
Bri

An oldie for me: DYRL, the attack on Boldolza's fortress while Minmay performs "Ai, Oboete Imasu ka".
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 18:27   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

So many unmarked spoilers in this thread.

As far as I've seen, I vote for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, for all the reasons others have already mentioned. But there are some other final battles in anime that really struck a chord with me.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes's second season had a really great final battle that escalated the scale to an unexpected level while still keeping the eccentric humor and madness of the show.

If you count the entire final match, Girls und Panzer really ends with a bang. The series was already off its rocky start by the second-last match, but the last match in particular was a huge bucket of explosive fun. I'm very glad that the people behind this anime delayed the broadcast of the last two episodes so they could deliver such an amazing finale.

Outside of anime, the final battles in Hoshi no Samidare, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable and Muv-Luv Alternative were simply marvelous and I'd put them in the same league or higher than Gurren Lagann's final battle.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 22:41   Link #13
Tenzen12

Yeah Ryuhou vs Kazuma is hard to best, even if there lot of newer anime trying do so.

Then there are some anime, that I think deserve honorable mentioning like Katangatari, Birdy the Mighty decode (II) or (which might be just me) Pumpkin Scissors.
Old 2014-12-26, 07:25   Link #14
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

If we're talking about our own subjective favourites instead of looking at it objectively, then I'll go with Ro Kyuu Bu! SS.

The setting of the "final battle" is fairly trivial, which arises due to the nature of the show itself, and it lacks the intensity of a shounen fighting series or a mecha battle. It still remains my favourite final battle, however, because it quite clearly showed how far all the main characters had gone and how much they had grown, both in terms of their individual skills and in the bonds that they shared. It also hit me particularly hard because it matched one of my past experiences in my younger days.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 20:00   Link #15
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Then there are some anime, that I think deserve honorable mentioning like Katangatari
Personally I think Katanagatari's is probably my favorite "final battle", I thought for awhile, but I just can't think of any I really liked more than it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I will say that Shakuga no Shana III as a whole could kinda be considered a "final battle" (or at least a "final war"), and I felt that was spectacularly handled and thoroughly satisfying. Still, you'd really have to stretch the meaning of "final battle" to count all of that "final war".
I do agree with this thought, but ya hard to count it as a "final battle" since it is a bit too long and big to fall under that, but I really liked it too.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 20:45   Link #16
Wandering Soul

I have to agree with so many others that the final battle for Gurren Lagann is hard to top.

I also enjoyed the final battle of Katanagatari.

The final battle between Izuru and Jiart at the end of Majestic Prince was a great fight that pushed both pilot and machine to their limit. Of course Majestic Prince did have great fights and I always enjoyed the ones between Izuru and Jiart.
Old 2014-12-27, 13:21   Link #17
itisjustme

If I had to single out one it would be the last fight of The Sword of the Stranger. Actually the whole last sequence is amazing. The gorgeous hand drawn animation, the way it's shot, the tempo, the nonstop action. There's some over the top elements but you'd be hard pressed to notice them as the movie does everything it can to look realistic while still retaining some sense of heroism and being the culmination of the story, underlined by the music that says "this is fate". There's very little over the top choregraphy here, no posturing or pointless talks or thoughts, just bloody swordfight where one strike can see you a winner or dead. The only thing that stops it short of being perfect is the final strike which is a little cliche.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 05:09   Link #18
Zeydra
A random passerby

Thinking about this made me realize that despite my favourite genre being action how few of the series I've watched have had a proper final battle in the traditional sense where the protagonist finds themselves in a final showdown with their ultimate would-be nemesis. And out of the ones I have how few of them left me with any major impressions of that final fight.

Ultimately I think it's a toss up between the already mentioned Gurren Lagann and Code Geass if the latter counts. I find myself leaning more to code geass overall, between the war of words going on with lelouch and his equal and the war of weapons going on between kallen and suzaku I was on the edge of my seat the entire duration.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 22:55   Link #19
Hypado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Gonna have to say Gurren Lagann. Sure, realistically it made absolutely no sense, but the sheer scope of that fight, the scale of events, the animation-quality, the music... It was just so incomprehensibly huge that it's practically impossible to not get excited. Actually I remember the first time I saw it, I didn't just get chills... I was literally trembling by the end of it. Then my mother asked me if there was something wrong with me.
Wow, Gurren Lagann last battle is perfect. !! I agree.
Hypado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 22:58   Link #20
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Goku vs. Kid Buu... and Kill la Kill's final battle and... when Railgun happened (before Railgun S happened) the final battle in season 1.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote