AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-03-19, 19:01   Link #81
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Please don't remind me the horrors of Brock back on Yellow when I was a kid. >_<
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 21:00   Link #82
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Either way it'd be nice if Pokemon could bother with difficulty settings. We're in 2016, I think it's time the game took a small step forward.
Old 2016-03-19, 21:20   Link #83
GDB

Difficulty settings mean nothing if you can just port in old broken Pokemon. Wipe the slate clean like Gen 3 did and THEN we can talk difficulty settings.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 21:30   Link #84
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

The problem is that when Gen 3 did that, players were screwed because over half of the full Pokedex was unavailable. If they did that, they'd need to make the entire Pokedex available outside of events. And they already introduced the difficulty options in Gen 5, but for no good reason they got rid of them in 6.
Old 2016-03-19, 21:31   Link #85
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
You asked when were gym leaders ever hard, they are hard when your casual and new to the game and your awesome fire lizard gets wrecked by a Onyx's charged attack. Not everyone EVE trains and ruins the fun.

Is this what you'd say to a child when they get beat by Brock? "Thats your fault you idiot, you went against the Type Matchups How could you be such a SCRUB huh?"

Getting a little sick of your jerk attitude.
You can have mismatched types in any Pokémon game. What makes Brock any different from the other gym leaders? The fact that you were a kid for those games and other people weren't?

Since you want to talk about kids, what if a kid started with Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and faced Roxanne with just a Torchic? Not everyone started with gen 1.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 21:35   Link #86
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Seafoam View Post
The problem is that when Gen 3 did that, players were screwed because over half of the full Pokedex was unavailable. If they did that, they'd need to make the entire Pokedex available outside of events.
That's fine. They could even do a heavy split between the two versions of the game to make it both easier to manage and make the versions more than just a handful of Pokemon different. Just make it a larger world so there's room for everything.
Old 2016-03-19, 23:21   Link #87
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's fine. They could even do a heavy split between the two versions of the game to make it both easier to manage and make the versions more than just a handful of Pokemon different. Just make it a larger world so there's room for everything.
While I agree that this is a good idea, for some reason people want to transfer their pokemon still due to having an "attachment" to them, so it's not likely to ever happen. They just need a way to find illegitimate ones, although that's not likely to ever happen either.
Old 2016-03-19, 23:23   Link #88
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Difficulty settings mean nothing if you can just port in old broken Pokemon. Wipe the slate clean like Gen 3 did and THEN we can talk difficulty settings.
Difficulty settings are often going to only have limited effectiveness. If you over grind you can still make it easier. But so long as someone plays normally difficulty options will add something. I'd rather that than just having to intentionally speed through the game with limited levels or only using type disadvantages.

At least would be nice to simply have the option to make it harder without having to go out of ones way. Select your option, don't do anything silly with the imports, and go.
Old 2016-03-20, 00:23   Link #89
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

An easier way of dealing with difficulty is to just make gym leaders have full teams that scale with your overall level, so you can't just overlevel and sweep.
Old 2016-03-20, 00:24   Link #90
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Brock was a total "Go train Butterfree and come back" moment for me. In Yellow. Pretty fun though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 03:07   Link #91
Chosen_Hero

^I always caught either Nidoran (male) or a Mankey in gen 1.
Old 2016-03-20, 12:09   Link #92
cyberdemon

I always started with Squirtle so I never had a problem with Brock lol
Old 2016-03-20, 13:16   Link #93
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I always started with Squirtle so I never had a problem with Brock lol
I did too, I just liked having the odds stack on my side.
Old 2016-03-20, 18:42   Link #94
DemonOfWrath

Charmander still took Brock apart with ember honestly. You actually started crying when Misty hit you with bubblebeam.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 19:14   Link #95
GDB

You had to level up pretty high for Ember to do anything to Onyx before he killed you. Though not sure why this matters. If you picked the wrong starter in terms of typing and didn't realize there were catchable options to remedy that, you restarted and picked a different starter. That's what most of my friends who picked Charmander way back in the day did.

Quote:
While I agree that this is a good idea, for some reason people want to transfer their pokemon still due to having an "attachment" to them, so it's not likely to ever happen. They just need a way to find illegitimate ones, although that's not likely to ever happen either.
Just make it on the Wii U/NX and call it a different "timeline" or "series" that doesn't connect to the portable ones. You get fancy graphics, but in its place you lose all progress and have to make do with waiting for more installments to get more Pokemon. Kind of like Colosseum started way back in the day. Man that was a good game...
Old 2016-03-20, 20:13   Link #96
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Kind of like Colosseum started way back in the day. Man that was a good game...
Yes. Yes it was. I always wonder why people didn't like it. Gale of Darkness was a bit of a step down but I really liked that and Colosseum.
Old 2016-03-20, 21:28   Link #97
Akashin

Quote:
Yes. Yes it was. I always wonder why people didn't like it. Gale of Darkness was a bit of a step down but I really liked that and Colosseum.
People didn't like it? I'm not sure how successful it was commercially, but I've never heard any significant complaints about it.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 21:48   Link #98
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
People didn't like it? I'm not sure how successful it was commercially, but I've never heard any significant complaints about it.
On other sites and stuff I've heard people talk some major crap about it. I guess they weren't a fan of the whole Shadow Pokemon?
Old 2016-03-20, 23:02   Link #99
Shadow5YA

The main RPG story was fine, but the actual colosseum modes were mediocre and a big step down from the Stadium games. The Pokémon also used their 8-bit cries from the GBA games instead of actual ones like the Stadium games, which was lazy.

Commerically, there is no way a spinoff series on a console will outsell the mainline series on a handheld, which is to be expected.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 18:54   Link #100
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Commerically, there is no way a spinoff series on a console will outsell the mainline series on a handheld, which is to be expected.
Not like a spinoff has to outsell the main thing to be commercially viable.