Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-08, 18:09   Link #4041
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Well it was too predictable, sometimes it is good and other times it feels like someone thrown a 2 by 4 through your head. Which the latter is in this situation, ugh so much Drama. I know Romance is a great deal and so is Drama, but isn't it going overboard? Can the author just give the Main Character a break? I just hope for the best that Yuki figures out her feelings and decide it is the Main Character, my opinion is she is the main girl. As for Shou, think some us of us already predicted what is going to happen, kind of sad. Hope there is a happy ending of all this Drama. I personally think only action or sport Manga should go over 100 chapters, like One Piece and Naruto.
Of course she's the main girl...she's been set up to be the main girl since chapter freaking one, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up with her...pleasantly surprised I might add.

Side note: Didn't want to nitpick but it is One Piece so I can't resist...One Piece is first and foremost an adventure manga, which is first up on the list of manga genres that "should go over 100 chapters".
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 18:15   Link #4042
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I prefer to think action and adventure kinda go together, when me and my girl go hiking in the mountains it is both. Randrak you felt the same right? When you read the spoilers it must have felt like someone thrown a 2 by 4 at you and connected. Hope for the best possible event to come off this Drama. Hopefully it is some kind of foreshadowing, Yuki didn't have for first time with Utsumi while Utsumi didn't had has first time with Yuki. Maybe the second try will be the answer for them both. Randrak, if you hear any good news, send me a message.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 18:24   Link #4043
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
I prefer to think action and adventure kinda go together, when me and my girl go hiking in the mountains it is both. Randrak you felt the same right? When you read the spoilers it must have felt like someone thrown a 2 by 4 at you and connected. Hope for the best possible event to come off this Drama. Hopefully it is some kind of foreshadowing, Yuki didn't have for first time with Utsumi while Utsumi didn't had has first time with Yuki. Maybe the second try will be the answer for them both. Randrak, if you hear any good news, send me a message.
I wouldn't say 2 by 4...possibly one drill in each ear and having them slowly meet in the middle...

Will do...provided of course that I'm still around and not with a screwdriver stuck through the monitor.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 18:25   Link #4044
Sinta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpy View Post
Whoa... Yuki still in love with Seiji, and if Seiji finds out about Yuki's true feelings, then.....

Oh God please, no KNIM style break up this time in GE please.
Well duh...she didn't want to break up with him the first place, but was too "damaged."

Does this come as a surprise to anyone?
Old 2012-06-08, 18:36   Link #4045
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinta View Post
Well duh...she didn't want to break up with him the first place, but was too "damaged."

Not really, I sure wasn't I can see things like these in both real life and Manga. I just hope Utsumi doesn't come off pathetic if he and Shou breaks up (Most likely, many of us already predicted this). Maybe that is the chance Yuki will have to show Utsumi she wants to get together, and is willing to make the relationship really work this time.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2012-06-08 at 20:39.
Old 2012-06-08, 19:19   Link #4046
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Not really, I sure wasn't I can see things like these in both real life and Manga. I just hope Utsumi doesn't come off pathetic if he and Shou breaks up (Most likely, many of us already predicted this). Maybe that is the chance Yuki will have to show Utsumi she wants to get together, and is willing to make the relationship really work this time.
Even if that were true she still has the issues with her ex boyfriend. That's the thing that we the readers don't know about right now. Tooru, her ex, is said to be responsible for Yuki's trauma, but we still don't know why he did it and if he has any responsibility for the incident. I think that Yuki has to face her ex before going back to Utsumi because the same thing will happen and it's only hurt the both of them again.
Old 2012-06-08, 19:42   Link #4047
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Situations like this is delicate for authors, I know someone in my college class who has a writing major said any wrong step in a romance story will lead to disaster at the critical point. I will agree that Yuki will have to face her ex, I do believe he is entirely at fault. No amount of forgiveness in my opinion can make up for what he did to Yuki. He knew beforehand what he was doing, yet went though with it anyway. He should have told Yuki what the bet was and take the brunt of the impact, it would have been a lot less hard before everything went all haywire like the 1970 Bhola cyclone. If I were the author I would knock out two birds with a single stone. Allow Yuki to deal with her ex and Utsumi breaking up with Shou, then let the two come back to comfort each other. Sound right to me, even though anything related to English is my worse subject (Manage to survive two semesters with a 93 average), I find this pretty appealing. Does anyone like this scenario or prediction?
Old 2012-06-08, 19:51   Link #4048
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Situations like this is delicate for authors, I know someone in my college class who has a writing major said any wrong step in a romance story will lead to disaster at the critical point. I will agree that Yuki will have to face her ex, I do believe he is entirely at fault. No amount of forgiveness in my opinion can make up for what he did to Yuki. He knew beforehand what he was doing, yet went though with it anyway. He should have told Yuki what the bet was and take the brunt of the impact, it would have been a lot less hard before everything went all haywire like the 1970 Bhola cyclone. If I were the author I would knock out two birds with a single stone. Allow Yuki to deal with her ex and Utsumi breaking up with Shou, then let the two come back to comfort each other. Sound right to me, even though anything related to English is my worse subject (Manage to survive two semesters with a 93 average), I find this pretty appealing. Does anyone like this scenario or prediction?
I like nor hate this predictable scenario because I'm sure many people following this series probably that this will happen sooner or later. I mean with Shou's ex being just around the corner, it'll only be a matter of time before Yuki will meet and deal with hers when the time comes. I mean Seiji has met two of the girls respective ex's, but Seiji didn't know that guy who helped him out during the Christmas "date" was actually her ex. So this scenario was bound to happen, it's just a matter of when it'll all come into place.
Old 2012-06-08, 20:05   Link #4049
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

That is where the issue is, the author dug himself a pretty big hole here. Though many don't realize, Romance manga is pretty much depends heavily on choices. If the author writes the wrong one, more than likely it is going to stall and may never recover. It just takes only one for it to burn into smoke, I prefer the author to take the simple route. Let split the manga for now as two main characters faces a conflict and come back together. Let each chapter play both in the main guy and girl perspective as they face each problem. Don't follow the formula, I seen multiple times in many Romance where it plays only one person perspective. Pretty sure everyone heard the phrase "it takes two, not one in a relationship".
Old 2012-06-08, 20:21   Link #4050
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
That is where the issue is, the author dug himself a pretty big hole here. Though many don't realize, Romance manga is pretty much depends heavily on choices. If the author writes the wrong one, more than likely it is going to stall and may never recover. It just takes only one for it to burn into smoke, I prefer the author to take the simple route. Let split the manga for now as two main characters faces a conflict and come back together. Let each chapter play both in the main guy and girl perspective as they face each problem. Don't follow the formula, I seen multiple times in many Romance where it plays only one person perspective. Pretty sure everyone heard the phrase "it takes two, not one in a relationship".
Good point considering that we're focused on Seiji and not enough on Yuki. I'm sure giving Yuki her own chapter based on her and the feelings she's having will give us a better idea of where it could lead in the long run. The routes and scenarios does seem all over the place, but it's been dragged on for so long like you said. It's better to put two minds together to make the pace of the story more fluent and understandable.
Old 2012-06-08, 22:44   Link #4051
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

The problem is I don't give a flying shit about any of the gals now since they're being tossed around as convenient plot devices.

I mean a BEE? A GOD DAMN BEE?

Wow this shit can't get any worse (prove me wrong)!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 04:55   Link #4052
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Of course she's the main girl...she's been set up to be the main girl since chapter freaking one, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up with her...pleasantly surprised I might add.

Side note: Didn't want to nitpick but it is One Piece so I can't resist...One Piece is first and foremost an adventure manga, which is first up on the list of manga genres that "should go over 100 chapters".
I am a huge romance fan and I actually despise most of action fighting/manga's on the sight.

That being said I would read 100 One piece chapters rather than 1 GE chapter . Its just that in one case the author knows what the hell he is doing, good characters, planed plot and humour and in other case the author is writing 'on the fly' for the shoujo drama in shounen clothing. That's not a good writing.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 05:39   Link #4053
AI Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinta View Post

I agreed, no surprise at all.

Quote:
I hope so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
The problem is I don't give a flying shit about any of the gals now since they're being tossed around as convenient plot devices.

I mean a BEE? A GOD DAMN BEE?

Wow this shit can't get any worse (prove me wrong)!
Yes, a bee... like when they fell down from the chair-lift.... *facepalm*
Old 2012-06-09, 06:56   Link #4054
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Well, it seems to be common practice that many (non-japanese) people start to dislike weekly romance mangas after 70+ chapters or so. However, since it is so common it is rather an issue with the genre, not necessarily with the authors.

I mean, has there ever been a romance series which was neither harem- nor comedy- but drama-focused and which had weekly scanlated releases that you guys liked after very late chapters?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 07:07   Link #4055
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Well, it seems to be common practice that many (non-japanese) people start to dislike weekly romance mangas after 70+ chapters or so. However, since it is so common it is rather an issue with the genre, not necessarily with the authors.

I mean, has there ever been a romance series which was neither harem- nor comedy- but drama-focused and which had weekly scanlated releases that you guys liked after very late chapters?
Video Girl Ai, thought I didn't read it weekly.
It was best drama romance I have ever read.
Actually VGA anime made me start reading manga altogether, when I knew that manga goes on and on beyond the anime material.
Old 2012-06-09, 08:49   Link #4056
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:

Actually it kinda is a problem with the authors, 'cause 9 out of 10 times they don't really know what the fuck to do after 70 chapters but still try to keep the story going anyway. And so that's when you get the "mysterious ex boyfriends with magical aids" (one of the best lines I've ever heard, lol) and such.

If a plot twist makes you say "oh!" then the author did it right, but if it makes you say "whaaaaat?!" then he or she most likely failed.
Old 2012-06-09, 17:03   Link #4057
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:

Video Girol Ai. Kimagure Orange Road or Ichigo100% did not make feel too tired of the manga even when they hit 70 chapters.

I think its juts that the authors are not that good writers. They have the general idea but they are not creative enough to keep it going strong when it starts drying out. They start writing 'on the fly' like creating some not needed characters who appear for 5 chapters max and then get instantly forgotten as they do not stick around and author gets too tired trying to force them into the story. Sadly GE is one of the prime examples of that.

The authors is desperately trying to stretch the story though it lost its fire quite some time ago. Oh we will see more drama, more Utsu getting kicked in the balls and blamed for that, more Yuki waah-poor-meeee drama, probably some more NTR moments too and all that, but it just doesnt seem that the author is good at writing and planning it all.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 18:55   Link #4058
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^atleast GE has sex compared to all the shit contemporary shounen romance manga throw out there
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 19:30   Link #4059
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

You guys don't get my point. I'm pretty sure none of you experienced those series on a weekly basis, no one here did. Video Girl AI and Kimagure Orange Road are freaking ancient, long before there was even sodding internet. I asked some time ago how Ichigo100 was scanlated because I didn't experience it myself and I was told that the scanlated chapters came in large batches.
When you have to wait week for week for another bit of development (or not) it's a completely different experience. Please imagine how people would've raged because of Manaka's indecisiveness or Aya's passiveness if there had been a week waiting time between all the chapters. Also, I'm especially wary of the praising of these "older" series since nostalgia can be a horrible and distorting influence on these matters.

That's why I think this is an issue with the genre in general. If a series has become popular then at some point the author has to pull something artificial to prolong the story, no matter what. If by then you still see 50+ more chapters then the silent, appreciative majority of readers still like it enough to buy it.

Plot twists never satisfiy all of the readers. Pick a certain moment from recent romance series, choose your own story development and I'll tell you why some people would hate it.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 01:06   Link #4060
Xaturas

Quote:
Nostalgia my ass man, I read dozens of romance mangas as it was one of my favourite genre some time ago. I read great works semi works and sometimes even shit works.
Like it or not KNIM/GE are shit, even on todays standards they sux. Maybe we didn't read previously mentioned mangas on weekly basis. But when we compare plot of that mangas and poo I highlited then they are still better, even when you take same amount of chapters.

As for new romance, heck there is few romance series that seems to be better, but they are only 30-40 chapters or so and the plot is moving constantly.
Ge drama, plot twists and main cast cockblocks are sad at best.
KNIM fails totally on the other hand,.
Romance is not a battle manga where you can stretch it infinitively with new enemies and power ups. You either have a story in your head and you can put it on paper or you don't.
So many good titles got axed, and yet so many shitty titles are holding up, editors magic I tell ya.

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi