AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-26, 22:33   Link #1
Tecprincess

classy anime character

Anyone know good anime with leading character is a classy woman like Yūko Ichihara xxxholics or mama from La storia della Arcana Famiglia?
Old 2013-02-27, 08:28   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There aren't that many shows that feature mature women, so the initial list is pretty short. Here are a few I might suggest:

Yakushiji Ryoko is the head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police from a family well-known as a private investigative and protective service. The show itself is a mixed bag. Some of the episodes reek of the "monster-of the-week" approach, but others have a decent story. The interplay between Ryoko and her male subordinate is witty and well-acted.

Mine Fujiko of the Lupin III franchise got a show of her own last summer. She's a classy thief who isn't above displaying all her many assets if it works to her advantage. When she's dressed, she chooses designer outfits and acts highbrow.

It's a bit hard to call Balsa of Seirei no Moribito "classy" as she is a spear-wielding professional bodyguard. Still she carries herself with great nobility while carrying out her task of protecting a young prince from assassination.

Nina Fortner in Monster is an intelligent young law student who might be called "classy." She has good taste in clothing and owns a couple of items that will turn a head or two when she wears them.

Matsukata Hiroko of Hataraki Man is a 28-year-old editor at a weekly Japanese magazine. She confronts patriarchy in the workplace and an unsatisfying love life while trying to secure her place as a female professional. You'll have to search to find the subs from Arienai.

A couple of other possibilities include Shurrei from the now out-of-print Saiunkoku Monogatari who can act like the noble princess she is when necessary, but who doesn't always carry herself in that manner. I think Balalaika in Black Lagoon might be considered "classy" despite her preference for her Soviet army uniform as her style of dress. She was the daughter of a high-ranking military official and was being prepped for an Olympic career when the war with Afghanistan broke out. A couple of scientists might make the list including Julia Silverstein of Blood+ and Uchida Ryoko, the physicist in Noein.

Finally, I'll toss 25-year-old Miwa from Bartender into the mix. Though she's not the main character, she appears in most of the episodes. She is the heiress to a Japanese hotelier family and traveled in France before returning to Japan. The second episode focuses on her story.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-27 at 08:46.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 11:10   Link #3
Tecprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There aren't that many shows that feature mature women, so the initial list is pretty short. Here are a few I might suggest:

Yakushiji Ryoko is the head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police from a family well-known as a private investigative and protective service. The show itself is a mixed bag. Some of the episodes reek of the "monster-of the-week" approach, but others have a decent story. The interplay between Ryoko and her male subordinate is witty and well-acted.

Mine Fujiko of the Lupin III franchise got a show of her own last summer. She's a classy thief who isn't above displaying all her many assets if it works to her advantage. When she's dressed, she chooses designer outfits and acts highbrow.

It's a bit hard to call Balsa of Seirei no Moribito "classy" as she is a spear-wielding professional bodyguard. Still she carries herself with great nobility while carrying out her task of protecting a young prince from assassination.

Nina Fortner in Monster is an intelligent young law student who might be called "classy." She has good taste in clothing and owns a couple of items that will turn a head or two when she wears them.

Matsukata Hiroko of Hataraki Man is a 28-year-old editor at a weekly Japanese magazine. She confronts patriarchy in the workplace and an unsatisfying love life while trying to secure her place as a female professional. You'll have to search to find the subs from Arienai.

A couple of other possibilities include Shurrei from the now out-of-print Saiunkoku Monogatari who can act like the noble princess she is when necessary, but who doesn't always carry herself in that manner. I think Balalaika in Black Lagoon might be considered "classy" despite her preference for her Soviet army uniform as her style of dress. She was the daughter of a high-ranking military official and was being prepped for an Olympic career when the war with Afghanistan broke out. A couple of scientists might make the list including Julia Silverstein of Blood+ and Uchida Ryoko, the physicist in Noein.

Finally, I'll toss 25-year-old Miwa from Bartender into the mix. Though she's not the main character, she appears in most of the episodes. She is the heiress to a Japanese hotelier family and traveled in France before returning to Japan. The second episode focuses on her story.
Thanks for the list, I will check them out. I already got black lagoon and Seirei no Moribito. Forgot about the lupin series.. But thanks for the others.
Old 2013-02-27, 12:58   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'm going to list variou females that are adults of varying ages or one year off, but all mature above the norm, particularly for anime.

Alicia from Aria the Animation. Simple-minded but a picture of elegance. Gondoliers on a Mars that got terraformed into a water planter is already soothing and classy but Alicia really enhances that.

Shouko from Asatte no Houkou (Living For The Day After Tomorrow). Almost anyone would lose the plot if they were an adult and end up swapping ages with a young girl. In amusing and touching ways, despite her physical limitations, Shouko handles the situation with tact and maturity.

Lia de Beamount from Le Chevalier d'Eon. A picture of elegance and nobility if there ever was one. Don't let the fact you see her dead in the opening moments throw you - she still plays a major role via supernatural means.

Kajika from Hanasakeru Seishounen. Don't let the scenario or the possibilities throw you. Kajika is so incredibly mature, polite, honest and pure it is astounding. She is a worthy heroine with class in spades.

Lafiel from Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars. Lafiel isn't an adult in Crest of the Stars but she is WAY more mature and honest than almost anyone around her. Carries on in the Banner of the Stars series. The dialogue Lafiel is involved in is of a rare quality that is hard to match.

Maetel from Galaxy Express 999. A solemn, mysterious woman that is very much the embodiment of the human conscience and very much like a guide.

Akashi from The Tatami Galaxy. Classy and then some. A very cool, almost elusive woman that really captures that vibe of being a young adult and meeting someone who feels out of your league yet fate toys with the notion of being with her. Very abstract art style adds to the atmosphere.

Emma from Emma - A Victorian Romance. Class and discrimination issues in a Victorian era love story. Emma handles a difficult situation well.

Rokka from Natsuyuki Rendezvous. 30 year-old widow falls for a guy about 10 years her junior. Her struggles of coping with being haunted by her dead husband but falling for the young guy are believable.

Oscar from Rose of Versailles. One of the earlist examples in anime of a classy adult woman. Circa French Revolution.

Several characters from Maria-sama ga Miteru (Maria Watches Over Us). Okay, they're in school - but this show is classy and elegant regardless.

Seconding Nina Fortner from Monster and Hiroko from Hataraki Man big time.

Hope you find something you like.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2013-02-27 at 13:32.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 20:55   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Would Lisa Lisa from JoJo count?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 21:58   Link #6
Tecprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I'm going to list variou females that are adults of varying ages or one year off, but all mature above the norm, particularly for anime.

Alicia from Aria the Animation. Simple-minded but a picture of elegance. Gondoliers on a Mars that got terraformed into a water planter is already soothing and classy but Alicia really enhances that.

Shouko from Asatte no Houkou (Living For The Day After Tomorrow). Almost anyone would lose the plot if they were an adult and end up swapping ages with a young girl. In amusing and touching ways, despite her physical limitations, Shouko handles the situation with tact and maturity.

Lia de Beamount from Le Chevalier d'Eon. A picture of elegance and nobility if there ever was one. Don't let the fact you see her dead in the opening moments throw you - she still plays a major role via supernatural means.

Kajika from Hanasakeru Seishounen. Don't let the scenario or the possibilities throw you. Kajika is so incredibly mature, polite, honest and pure it is astounding. She is a worthy heroine with class in spades.

Lafiel from Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars. Lafiel isn't an adult in Crest of the Stars but she is WAY more mature and honest than almost anyone around her. Carries on in the Banner of the Stars series. The dialogue Lafiel is involved in is of a rare quality that is hard to match.

Maetel from Galaxy Express 999. A solemn, mysterious woman that is very much the embodiment of the human conscience and very much like a guide.

Akashi from The Tatami Galaxy. Classy and then some. A very cool, almost elusive woman that really captures that vibe of being a young adult and meeting someone who feels out of your league yet fate toys with the notion of being with her. Very abstract art style adds to the atmosphere.

Emma from Emma - A Victorian Romance. Class and discrimination issues in a Victorian era love story. Emma handles a difficult situation well.

Rokka from Natsuyuki Rendezvous. 30 year-old widow falls for a guy about 10 years her junior. Her struggles of coping with being haunted by her dead husband but falling for the young guy are believable.

Oscar from Rose of Versailles. One of the earlist examples in anime of a classy adult woman. Circa French Revolution.

Several characters from Maria-sama ga Miteru (Maria Watches Over Us). Okay, they're in school - but this show is classy and elegant regardless.

Seconding Nina Fortner from Monster and Hiroko from Hataraki Man big time.

Hope you find something you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Would Lisa Lisa from JoJo count?
Thanks, I will check those out
Old 2013-03-01, 17:15   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll add the protagonist of the first installment of Otona Joshi no Anime Time, "Kawamo o Suberu Kaze." Thirty-ish Noriko returns for a visit with her young son to her Japanese hometown while her Japanese husband remains at his job in the United States. During the visit she recalls her earlier life and considers the state of her marriage. It's a half-hour OVA but worth watching.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 01:33   Link #8
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'll add the protagonist of the first installment of Otona Joshi no Anime Time, "Kawamo o Suberu Kaze." Thirty-ish Noriko returns for a visit with her young son to her Japanese hometown while her Japanese husband remains at his job in the United States. During the visit she recalls her earlier life and considers the state of her marriage. It's a half-hour OVA but worth watching.
I'll second that. I saw that a couple of years ago and loved it - forgot the name until SS just mentioned it. I got trashed to hell by younger people around my parts for liking it...typical...
Old 2013-03-03, 00:49   Link #9
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Let me add two ladies from Sakura Wars: Maria Tachibana (Tokyo) and Glycine Bleumer (Paris).
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote