AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-07-06, 09:22   Link #521
FireChick

Nooo! Clannad got pushed back to 2008! CURSE YOU HARUHI! (Sorry to all Haruhi fans but I want Clannad first)
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 12:26   Link #522
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Nooo! Clannad got pushed back to 2008! CURSE YOU HARUHI! (Sorry to all Haruhi fans but I want Clannad first)
On the contrary, I'm mightily relieved. I just got the game through post today, I can now take this "epic long" story on my own pace rather than having to rush it before the anime starts.

BTW, seeing some of the Japanese walkthroughs, this game seems to have some sort of complicated format.

From what I can understand, I'm supposed to clear all the characters route, collect some sort of orb, and then go through an "AFTER STORY" for each character before reaching the TRUE END.

I'm still trying to understand how it works, can someone please give an explanation without spoiling anything? Cookies guaranteed.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 13:18   Link #523
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I hope for an earlier release than Fall 2008 too. It doesn't make much sense for them to announce and release so many contents for the anime if it's going to be a 1+ year wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
From what I can understand, I'm supposed to clear all the characters route, collect some sort of orb, and then go through an "AFTER STORY" for each character before reaching the TRUE END.

I'm still trying to understand how it works, can someone please give an explanation without spoiling anything? Cookies guaranteed.
Spoiler for off topic:

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2007-07-06 at 13:42.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 13:38   Link #524
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

We're going to get both anyway, so let's call off the do-ra-ma, shall we? It's starting to get a bit ridiculous. ^_^

(OK, so I admit, I kinda want CLANNAD first, even though I'm an avid Haruhi fan).
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 16:50   Link #525
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
I hope for an earlier release than Fall 2008 too. It doesn't make much sense for them to announce and release so many contents for the anime if it's going to be a 1+ year wait...
hype...that is where the $$$ are...now if a lot of people went out to buy the game just so they can know the story instead of waiting for a year then why not drag out the hype?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 16:59   Link #526
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
hype...that is where the $$$ are...now if a lot of people went out to buy the game just so they can know the story instead of waiting for a year then why not drag out the hype?
Acually, I think it's the reverse. They'll want to keep the hype going strong after the movie launch and get the series on the air ASAP so people can start buying the DVDs. They'll get some new game sales, I'm sure, but most already own the games. It's the DVD/merchandise sales they're after. So no, Moonphase is certainly wrong. I'd bet on it. Besides, he was only offering it as a guess anyway.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 17:05   Link #527
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Acually, I think it's the reverse. They'll want to keep the hype going strong after the movie launch and get the series on the air ASAP so people can start buying the DVDs. They'll get some new game sales, I'm sure, but most already own the games. It's the DVD/merchandise sales they're after. So no, Moonphase is certainly wrong. I'd bet on it. Besides, he was only offering it as a guess anyway.
valid point but what about all the other clannad related merchendises? the long the gap time between the movie and the TV series then the more this series can "linger" on in name which then have an affect on the sales of clannad related goods as the fans wait for the TV series with anxiety ~ more often than not once a series passes then the name of it begins to cool down drastically (which is normal cause it is just a case of out goes the old and in comes the new) >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 19:16   Link #528
velocity7

Just for reference, the AIR movie and TV series aired pretty closely, with the TV series starting in January and the movie in February.
Old 2007-07-06, 20:53   Link #529
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
valid point but what about all the other clannad related merchendises? the long the gap time between the movie and the TV series then the more this series can "linger" on in name which then have an affect on the sales of clannad related goods as the fans wait for the TV series with anxiety ~ more often than not once a series passes then the name of it begins to cool down drastically (which is normal cause it is just a case of out goes the old and in comes the new) >.<
Well... I think you answered your own question, sort of. They've been promoing it pretty heavily over the last few months, so they wouldn't want the hype to cool down by letting it "linger" for too long. The TV series is being previewed at the AnimeFesta in August, and the Clannad Invitation (preview) DVD is shipping in September/October. The website is already up, and it was originally announced, with preview footage, over 3 months ago now. There's preview imagery in Megami Magazine every month. They can't keep that sort of promo work up for another 15 months; people will get sick of it, and by the time it comes out, it'll be underwhelming no matter how good it is. So, all in all, I don't see that there's any marketing benefit in delaying the show, and the amount of promo thus far makes it much more likely to be the thing that'll air first.

All that's in my opinion, of course. Time will tell...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2007-07-06 at 22:01. Reason: fix typo...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 21:23   Link #530
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I highly doubt that Clannad will be pushed back since we have not seen any haruhi second season promo art or animation clips. It has only been mentioned now. It would not be fall 2008 it would not make sense to advertise it in newtype, animage and so forth if it would not be released soon >.>
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 21:53   Link #531
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I'm a fan of both Key and Haruhi... so either first doesn't concern me... I'll just know that KyoAni will not be slack and that they'll do a magnificent job on both projects.

Now we wait for a FMP announcement too... LOL
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 23:46   Link #532
sakuravs

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
How about a high-res version of that "oh-so-cute" scan?
sakuravs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 18:14   Link #533
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-08, 18:44   Link #534
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 09:06   Link #535
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I finally gave in to the temptation and took a look at Clannad summary Plot related things aside ... the thing seems HUGE 0_o. Obviously i can't get a very good grasp at the overall story size from a summary, but it really seemed rarely big. A question to the people who have played the game - is it even reasonably fit-able in to 24-26 episodes? Because i think it is not from reading the summary alone. Is there a chance we might get ~37 or even ~50 episodes of this ?
Old 2007-07-09, 10:13   Link #536
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
is it even reasonably fit-able in to 24-26 episodes?
Yes..... but that will be very rushed and a lot of characters will get shafted.

IMO, Nagisa + Fuuko's arc (yes, I am a Fuuko Master wannabe.....) will require at least 8 episodes, the AS arc will require another 8 episodes, leaving only 8 episodes to cover the remaining characters. The result will be very similar to what happened to Minagi and Kano in AIR TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Is there a chance we might get ~37 or even ~50 episodes of this ?
Although there are certainly enough materials to make 50 episodes, a single 50 episodes series will be too much a financial risk and too long a commitment for Key & KyoAni. My guess will be either:
  • one 26 episodes series which will mainly focus on Nagisa;
    or
  • two 26 episodes series to cover everything (please include 光見守る坂道で as well......)

On a side note, the CD Drama adaptation of the final chapters of the Planetarian novel (星の人 and チルシスとアミント which covers events after the game) will also be released on 27 Jul http://key.soundslabel.com/discography.htm. Can we expect a Planetarian animation/OVA next year?

Last edited by nani; 2007-07-09 at 10:30.
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 11:30   Link #537
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
Yes..... but that will be very rushed and a lot of characters will get shafted.

IMO, Nagisa + Fuuko's arc (yes, I am a Fuuko Master wannabe.....) will require at least 8 episodes, the AS arc will require another 8 episodes, leaving only 8 episodes to cover the remaining characters. The result will be very similar to what happened to Minagi and Kano in AIR TV.
Thats what i thought ... and despite being optimistic i also don't think we are going to get more than 26 episodes. And seeing how less-important characters were handled in Air, i dread for Clannad.

Quote:
On a side note, the CD Drama adaptation of the final chapters of the Planetarian novel (星の人 and チルシスとアミント which covers events after the game) will also be released on 27 Jul http://key.soundslabel.com/discography.htm. Can we expect a Planetarian animation/OVA next year?
I would kill to see that animated Although i don't think there is enough material for a full season ... a movie or a 6 ep OVA is the most the story can reasonably support without feeling draggy imo. Unless they spend loooots of time on flashbacks ... i bet they could come up with more flashbacks/detailed background of the planet than presented in the game, but i am having my doubts.
Old 2007-07-09, 16:19   Link #538
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Well... KyoAni might buck the trend and attempt either a 3-cour series or a 4-cour series for CLANNAD(TV). They did surprise us with Kanon(2006)'s 2-cour. Maybe that is why they delayed CLANNAD(TV) in favour of SHnY 2. They needed more time to animate the series.

After all... they have not yet announced how long CLANNAD(TV) will be.

Considering how some of the heroines STILL got shafted in terms of screentime, presence, and plot content in Kanon(2006), a 2-cour length for CLANNAD(TV) seems detrimental.

Financial risk? Maybe, but considering that their Kanon(2006) DVDs and Lucky Star DVDs have been hitting solid Number-1 each time they début onto the market (not to mention the prior sales of their SHnY and FMP! DVDs ), I think KyoAni is well-funded at this point to undertake something that no other company has really done before. Adapt a Renai-Game into a series that is longer than 2-cour... uninterrupted.

Cheers.
Old 2007-07-09, 17:01   Link #539
velocity7

If it means it being uninterrupted, then I don't really mind it being pushed.
Old 2007-07-09, 17:14   Link #540
rg4619

How long in advance are episodes normally completed? If I'm not mistaken, studios receive funding as they go, so it isn't like they can animate a full series before initial airing (maybe just the first few episodes). In that case, would overall length even make much of a difference?
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen