AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-29, 08:55   Link #11741
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If it's about street cred, then we'll just hit them with "Rank 1 on Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2011 bitches!"

Got to hurry though, we might not keep that title for next year
While you're at it, mention all the most popular characters, artists and sales figures.

But I can see it in the top 3 next year, maybe not top if BWTGS becomes even more popular, but close enough.
Old 2011-06-29, 09:20   Link #11742
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
But I can see it in the top 3 next year, maybe not top if BWTGS becomes even more popular, but close enough.
Between Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai getting an Anime, and the long awaited Grand Return of Suzumiya Haruhi, New Testament is going to have a real fight on our hands, especially without the support of it's own Anime for this year.

So far, no series has held the title twice, so I'm fully expecting Boku wa Tomodachi winning 2012, but damnit let us keep the other categories !
Old 2011-06-29, 09:25   Link #11743
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
If it's about street cred, then we'll just hit them with "Rank 1 on Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2011 bitches!"

It did get that rank but people are losing faith in japans rankings and tastes. I mean IS sales is definitely one of the biggest shocks I have seen. Every where I went it was "Generic" or "Infinite Shit". Then BOOM! 20,000 BD sales.
Old 2011-06-29, 09:33   Link #11744
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
It did get that rank but people are losing faith in japans rankings and tastes. I mean IS sales is definitely one of the biggest shocks I have seen. Every where I went it was "Generic" or "Infinite Shit". Then BOOM! 20,000 BD sales.
Yeah, there will always be people like that, I've seen my share on Sankaku. For those kind of people no matter what you say it'll never change their minds anyway, so why should we bother about them? If they don't like it they can start their own poll and see if they could get a large enough sample size to even be bothered with.

Even then there will still be people claiming 'Fail List'.

It's like their opinions are infallible If it doesn't follow their ideals, it's crap.
Old 2011-06-29, 09:33   Link #11745
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Huge number of Otaku's in Japan guarantee stuff such as IS to be huge success no matter what.

I personally care less about its overall rank and more about how it compares to stuff "from same category" (not really a good term but is should suffice for now).
Old 2011-06-29, 09:40   Link #11746
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Huge number of Otaku's in Japan guarantee stuff such as IS to be huge success no matter what.
Not really, when's the last time a harem-comedy show broke 10000, let alone 20000 and into 30000?

Love Hina in 2000 -_- Mahoromatic in 2001, D.C. ~Da Capo~ in 2003 ... =_=

IS is really an oddity. I chalk it down to dumb luck that it had very little competition in the Winter season, but that can't account for the numbers.

Quote:
I personally care less about its overall rank and more about how it compares to stuff "from same category" (not really a good term but is should suffice for now).
Same category?
Old 2011-06-29, 09:43   Link #11747
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Same category?
As I said, a terrible term :P
Had an exam today so I am not really myself ^_^;
A patch should be out soon so I will hopefully be fixed.

Anyway, finished Volume 22 yesterday and I must say: Hamazura sometimes feels even more ruthless then Accel ^_^;
Old 2011-06-29, 09:48   Link #11748
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
As I said, a terrible term :P
Had an exam today so I am not really myself ^_^;
Ahh, you mean shows that have the same genre?

Mecha + Harem (RomCom)

Mecha-wise, it still has a long way to go before reaching the likes of Gundam, Code Geass and Macross.

Harem (RomCom) wise? It's pretty much the best selling series of that genre ever... Unless you count Bakemono and Haruhi as Harem (RomCom)... ?

Quote:

Anyway, finished Volume 22 yesterday and I must say: Hamazura sometimes feels even more ruthless then Accel ^_^;
Hamazura is basically a thug so obviously he doesn't know proper interrogation techniques unlike Accelerator and only does what he learns from watching Kiefer Sutherland
Old 2011-06-29, 10:22   Link #11749
leukrota

Quote:
Between Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai getting an Anime, and the long awaited Grand Return of Suzumiya Haruhi, New Testament is going to have a real fight on our hands, especially without the support of it's own Anime for this year.

So far, no series has held the title twice, so I'm fully expecting Boku wa Tomodachi winning 2012, but damnit let us keep the other categories !
Considering that in Index, the WWIII arc closed the tension built so far, and that it's now starting a new "big arc", it would be also natural for the rating to go slightly down on that account.

I was also surprised with Oreimo's sales... though probably it will just close in a bit without contending for the top.

BTW, is Boku wa Tomodachi that good? I've only read the description but honestly, it sounds like a cliche dictionary (though not as much as IS) or maybe a mashup of other works... I guess I can't tell much with just the description but it still bothers me...

Quote:
Quote:
Hamazura is basically a thug so obviously he doesn't know proper interrogation techniques unlike Accelerator and only does what he learns from watching Kiefer Sutherland
Lol, it does seem that way... too much TV for Hamazura.

But yeah, when Accelerator loses it and goes on a rampage, he does all in the height of his insanity. When he's not high, Accelerator is a lot more humane. On the other hand, Hamazura showed he can become ruthless and calculating. In a sense, the fear I'd feel from Accelerator would be that of the fear of a hurricane or a volcano, but from Hamazura it would be the fear of being hunted down. It's hard to tell which is worse.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Wrong guesses guys. '灼眼のシャナ’. Though I have to rush through IS as well. Promised that I will finish up volumes 2 and 3 by end of August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Ahh, Shakugan no Shana.
I'll be looking forward to that.
Me too! That sounds great, I don't like being unable to read but summaries about those novels.

Last edited by leukrota; 2011-06-29 at 10:37.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:48   Link #11750
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Boku wa Tomodachi is a fun series. Though I only have read the manga but it's about a club so it's friends having fun and some other stuff on the side. Nothing amazing has happened in the manga but I am enjoying it so far. A lot of hilarious stuff.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:55   Link #11751
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
I was also surprised with Oreimo's sales... though probably it will just close in a bit without contending for the top.
As far as sales are concern; Haruhi, Index, BokuwaTomo, Durarara, BakaTest, OreImo, SAO, bakemono and... Infinite Stratos (>.>) are the biggest names in the Light Novel scene.

Quote:
BTW, is Boku wa Tomodachi that good? I've only read the description but honestly, it sounds like a cliche dictionary (though not as much as IS) or maybe a mashup of other works... I guess I can't tell much with just the description but it still bothers me...
The fact that it's receiving such high sales despite not having an Anime yet is a testament to it's strength.

The only other title on that list that doesn't have an Anime yet is SAO.

Quote:
Lol, it does seem that way... too much TV for Hamazura.

But yeah, when Accelerator loses it and goes on a rampage, he does all in the height of his insanity. When he's not high, Accelerator is a lot more humane. On the other hand, Hamazura showed he can become ruthless and calculating. In a sense, the fear I'd feel from Accelerator would be that of the fear of a hurricane or a volcano, but from Hamazura it would be the fear of being hunted down. It's hard to tell which is worse.
That's not what i meant though The proper way to interrogate someone is to do what Accelerator did- He created a whole new reality for the prisoner. A good interrogator paints a picture of the world for a detainee. Whatever he's holding onto, you take it away.

The fact is, torture is for sadists and thugs. It's like getting groceries with a flamethrower. It doesn't work, and it makes a mess. Getting useful information is about creating a new reality for the interrogation subject with no hope of escape or freedom. You control every aspect of their world - how they eat, where they sleep, even whether it's day or night. When it's time to ask questions, you want them disoriented, anxious, wondering who you are and what you can do to them.

Of course, Accelerator used the accelerated process.
Old 2011-06-29, 11:11   Link #11752
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
It's much better than what any of it's descriptions can bring justice to. Most previews and description can only speak about the setting, the characters or the goal of the storyline; none of these are truly transcendent and thus is a bad way of promoting the series.

Bokutomo is mainly about the jokes, the show is to the core a bunch of weirdos having weird conversation about "how to socialize" themes and how to have fun, but everything always just ends up in a weird manner. One of the strongest points of the novel is that it doesn't hold back with actual contemporanean ~ popular themes, so you'll have a bunch of weirdos doing things that you can do in real life and getting incredible strange conclusions from their experiences.

Bottom line is, if you want a proper description of the series using Index terms, it's like the Delta force Otaku talks, but like that all the time. Then imagine the Delta Force trying to make friends by playing monster hunter on psp, or Shirai Kuroko trying to pick up Mikoto using lines from an eroge (the +18 version of The Sacred Blacksmith) and then you'll get an idea of what the series is about; it's like an evil version of Genshiken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
Trivia: I wonder why the anime can get away with having Stiyl smoking despite being a minor
He is a foreigner?
Old 2011-06-29, 11:25   Link #11753
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
Trivia: I wonder why the anime can get away with having Stiyl smoking despite being a minor yet Naruto anime will not even allow Shikamaru to smoke. I guess Stiyl look old despite only 14 years old, lucky Komoe is there to correct him though it was pretty much ineffective.
Because looks. But that itself is an oddity because Komoe-sensei looks like a minor but is a perfect adult with a driver's license and smokes and drinks beer.

... Also, unless if I recall it wrong, it's Kanzaki who helps him buy those cigarettes. Probably with the fact that she's 18 and dresses like that, the grocery staff won't be wondering why she smokes (when she actually doesn't)...

... which reminds me about potential daily mishaps on Kanzaki's part. No, no, no, I must not think that!

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2011-06-29, 11:30   Link #11754
arson88

i guess that the censorship department doesn't read the Light Novels so they might miss the fact that Stiyl is a minor. Naruto have a wider age fan base so the censorship is more sensitive.
Old 2011-06-29, 12:28   Link #11755
Ashaman

Quote:

How can we lose the title for 2011? We'll always have that, we just might not win 2012.

Boku Tomodachi is incredibly funny from what I've seen of the manga, and something I am most definately looking forward to anime wise.

IS is really that popular tho? Tht is a serious shock. It doesn't really deserve it; at least from the anime It wasn't anything particularly special in any way shap or form. Not even the girls or the mechs really sparked my interest. It was so boring I didn't even watch the finl episode, though I struggled through the others.

And about Styl? Most likely its a combo of looks and plausble deniablity.

He doesn't look 14 in the anime. They've never mentioned his age. Therefore with Styl they can look the other way and pretend not to know he truth.

Its the opposite way with Komoe. They make a distinct point that she's a proper adult who can do these things, and if censorhip gets heavy they can rub her true age in their faces.

Basically i one they are going bse on looks, and on the other their true age in a glorious Double Standard.
Old 2011-06-29, 15:08   Link #11756
leukrota

Ahh, now my curiosity has really been piqued... I guess I'll check the Bokutomo manga, is there a date for the anime yet?

Quote:
That's not what i meant though The proper way to interrogate someone is to do what Accelerator did- He created a whole new reality for the prisoner. A good interrogator paints a picture of the world for a detainee. Whatever he's holding onto, you take it away.

The fact is, torture is for sadists and thugs. It's like getting groceries with a flamethrower. It doesn't work, and it makes a mess. Getting useful information is about creating a new reality for the interrogation subject with no hope of escape or freedom. You control every aspect of their world - how they eat, where they sleep, even whether it's day or night. When it's time to ask questions, you want them disoriented, anxious, wondering who you are and what you can do to them.

Of course, Accelerator used the accelerated process.
Well, that's still torture... mental torture. But I agree, that's probably a lot more effective than physical torture.

I once heard of using barney the dinosaur's songs to break the minds of the prisoners... Dunno how real is that rumor, but it would definitely work on me.
Old 2011-06-29, 16:09   Link #11757
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
How can we lose the title for 2011? We'll always have that, we just might not win 2012.

Boku Tomodachi is incredibly funny from what I've seen of the manga, and something I am most definately looking forward to anime wise.
I've just started getting into Bokutomo recently, but I quite enjoy it, it's fun. It deserves it's popularity.

Quote:
IS is really that popular tho? Tht is a serious shock. It doesn't really deserve it; at least from the anime It wasn't anything particularly special in any way shap or form. Not even the girls or the mechs really sparked my interest. It was so boring I didn't even watch the finl episode, though I struggled through the others.
I liked IS...

Anyway, as for IS, one of the happiest days I've had recently was when the BD sales were announced, I could laugh in the face of all the haters.

Quote:
And about Styl? Most likely its a combo of looks and plausble deniablity.

He doesn't look 14 in the anime. They've never mentioned his age. Therefore with Styl they can look the other way and pretend not to know he truth.

Its the opposite way with Komoe. They make a distinct point that she's a proper adult who can do these things, and if censorhip gets heavy they can rub her true age in their faces.

Basically i one they are going bse on looks, and on the other their true age in a glorious Double Standard.

Ehh, the thing with Stiyl is, he's tall, he wears those voluminous priest robes and he smokes. Other than that, if you look at him, you'll see that he really looks 14. At my high school, there was a guy that was six feet tall by 14 and even had a beard, so it doesn't look that odd to me.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-06-29, 17:03   Link #11758
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Reading that part, and knowing Hamazura isn't a master on psychological warfare that implies Hamazura really did nightmare fuel torture with them. Their female leader didn't seem to be a professional (just a person with status) so I doubt she would hold back any info, after all, the one who talk about the Parameter List was... herself .

Quote:
Ahh, you mean shows that have the same genre?

Mecha + Harem (RomCom)

Mecha-wise, it still has a long way to go before reaching the likes of Gundam, Code Geass and Macross.

Harem (RomCom) wise? It's pretty much the best selling series of that genre ever... Unless you count Bakemono and Haruhi as Harem (RomCom)... ?
Haruhi and Bake are more like a WeirdCom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
-shot- it's like an evil version of Genshiken.
This is the line that describes most of that series.
Old 2011-06-29, 18:02   Link #11759
Breidaluk

reading the translated parts of vol 2 and about vampires, is mentioned that becoming a vampire is another step for a magician to evolve to a new level. Did I misunderstand?
Basically, they say that a vampire that a unlimited amount of life force that can be converted to mana, making them formidable oponents. But what troubles me is that in this case they still maintain their capability to cast magic. Is like they are no more than another step in the human evolution. It is strange.
Well, maybe i am thinking too much about that. Better see if There will be a vampire appearing during NT so this topic could be brought again.

Have to train my english more.
Old 2011-06-29, 18:20   Link #11760
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
... Also, unless if I recall it wrong, it's Kanzaki who helps him buy those cigarettes. Probably with the fact that she's 18 and dresses like that, the grocery staff won't be wondering why she smokes (when she actually doesn't)...
Technically speaking, 18 is not enough age to either drink nor smoke in japan. Also Kanzaki is probably honest enough as not to try to fool any store clerk; and if we judge by Touma's comments, she dislikes people thinking that she is older than she is (though, Touma claimed that she was 28 and that was just a little bit to much )

edit -> I checked it, and Touma says that he thought that Kanzaki was past the age for marriage... That would be over 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breidaluk View Post
reading the translated parts of vol 2 and about vampires, is mentioned that becoming a vampire is another step for a magician to evolve to a new level. Did I misunderstand?
It's not an "evolution as a mage". Is that magicians are still humans, so there are still limits to what they can do; "a way" to overstep those human limits is gaining a body that isn't human, thus becoming a vampire.
There are other ways of going beyond the human limit, Fiamma probably had one of the best ways to achieve it without actually having to renounce to his own humanity.

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-29 at 19:14.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen