AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 11 21.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 21.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 19.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 15.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 18:02   Link #61
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
You sir win. This is the type of stuff I was thinking as I was watching Welkin this episode. I guess I'm one of the very few people who liked how Welkin was handled in this episode. Sure it was different from game Welkin, but they actually did anime Welkin well for once.
Meh there's a difference between understanding and disliking. After reading the subs I have an understanding of why he's acting this way though I'm not too pleased with it.
Old 2009-08-02, 19:00   Link #62
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I laughed.

Was that a typo or was that on purpose?
Yes it was. I hatez Fabio. Most fans posts Welkin hate here but he's pretty much your typical anime male lead IMO.
Old 2009-08-02, 19:13   Link #63
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Depressing episode is episode...lets just have a moment of peace for Isara....

And I seriously can't believe people are dissing Welkin for this drastic character change on this matter. I thought the fact that he did completely change from this usual personality and NOT showing any emotions at all was a major hint how much he BROKE due to Isara's death.

Oh he broke so much here...it was like watching someone trying to commit suicide but in a very slow manner. Even if he doesn't she it, he is really dragged down by guilt as he doesn't wish to see anyone die...which is unrealistic as Faldio pointed out...this is War afterall. But to have this happen to Welkin's sister is what pushed him over the edge. I am sure he wouldn't have cared "as much" if it was someone like Edy who died...but it had to happen to Isara who he loves the most.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-08-02, 20:59   Link #64
kamikazex

man welkin is getting alot of hate. personally i still think hes awesome despite this minor setback
Old 2009-08-02, 21:00   Link #65
Lostdreams

I feel like this is the only time I looked forward to the anime. Isara's death was SO sad.
Old 2009-08-02, 22:54   Link #66
Forever
Revealing the truth

They changed Faldio but yet they didnt changed isara's death to a coma......

Great just great but I will continue watching to see if welkin get his manhood back.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:38   Link #67
cloner4000

buwaaaaa....I feel like crying now...I hate people dying and it's just sooo random that she has to die, weather it's in the game or the anime...
Old 2009-08-03, 01:28   Link #68
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I think the way Welkin was shown as cold, it was clearly understandable. However, I think it was a little overdone as people wrote before. Needless to say, having Faldio stealing the spotlight on this day again brought me over the edge again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
That's true, but then again, he was messed up mainly in the Welkin/Faldio/Alicia relationship..in terms of planning and leadership, he was still pretty solid during ep 12 to 17 (even tho we only see 2 battles during that period )...And I just can't criticize someone who is loyal to his friend. Plus this is the very first time that Welkin get serious with a woman...we can expect that he will get confused somehow
Again and again, I just feel they overexposed Faldio at the same time Welkin was totally regressing on personal level to finally create some badly handled drama with the love triangle. I followed through the game (as many people here did anyway) and I really meant it when I think we could have more drama and better if Welkin kept most of his old self while Faldio could have had his share of exposure WITHOUT stealing the spotlight EVER. This is not about this episode only, but for a long while before that.

You know, when I think of what could have been with this love triangle, the first thing that came into my mind was that movie named Enemy at the Gates and I hoped it would turn on something like this for some good drama. Let's says it happens like this: Faldio falls for Alicia, but his feelings are unreciprocated, Welkin and Alicia get closer beyond return (which could have been this episode or before that), then Faldio falls into deep jealousy which leads him to strain his friendship with Welkin and betrayal at some point... before he realizes his wrongdoing leading to the ultimate sacrifice. Faldio should have earned at most the kind of spot Joseph Fiennes' character (Commisar Danilov) had in that movie, never risking to overshadow Welkin as main protagonist.

I don't how to say it otherwise, really.
Old 2009-08-03, 02:25   Link #69
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
Ok I cheer for Welkin so I don't care how cute Faldio looks. (and he DOES look, but I like Welkin hahahha)

Anyway I kind of expecting Welkin reacting that way. After all he is one of those characters who prefer to handle everything emotional with themselves and keep it inside of them. So I guess that, that would be his reaction and it didn't bother me. It showed how sad he was when he rejected Emil's gift...So...
That is a good chance for some hugging from Alicia....
Old 2009-08-03, 03:11   Link #70
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Faldio is an idiot. Why the hell would Welkin care about making Alicia cry when his sister just died?
Old 2009-08-03, 03:50   Link #71
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Yes it was. I hatez Fabio. Most fans posts Welkin hate here but he's pretty much your typical anime male lead IMO.
I don't hate anime Welkin, i just didn't like what they did with his character before this episode. As for Faldio, well yes i'd say i hold quite a bit of hate against his character. It is very irritating how much they're forcing his character onto the screen, making it seem like he can do absolutely everything, as we've seen so far.
Old 2009-08-03, 06:47   Link #72
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
well it was confirmed they killed my favorite character and the rest of the characters are about as interesting to watch as dirt blowing in the wind.

FALDIO PUNCH yes we all know how Welkin was acting and yes we all know he blamed himself but instead of understanding he punched him when he said the truth

oh well
Old 2009-08-03, 06:48   Link #73
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
well it was confirmed they killed my favorite character and the rest of the characters are about as interesting to watch as blowing dirt in the wind.
How dare you ignore Edy like that.
Old 2009-08-03, 06:51   Link #74
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
How dare you ignore Edy like that.
oh i will
Old 2009-08-03, 09:02   Link #75
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't hate anime Welkin, i just didn't like what they did with his character before this episode. As for Faldio, well yes i'd say i hold quite a bit of hate against his character. It is very irritating how much they're forcing his character onto the screen, making it seem like he can do absolutely everything, as we've seen so far.
I don't like how Welkin has taken a back seat after the episode where he was trapped in the cabin with Alicia. After that it has become the Fabio super hero show. It all started to go downhill when the love triangle started. Man, if they would of just killed Fabio off earlier......
Old 2009-08-03, 09:13   Link #76
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
oh i will
I agree.

Edy is not the favorite.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-03, 11:24   Link #77
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I agree.

Edy is not the favorite.
Marina FTW
Old 2009-08-03, 11:50   Link #78
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Marina FTW
seeing as there's no jane l would hade agreed but........ FINA!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Manji Midou; 2009-08-03 at 15:07.
Old 2009-08-03, 14:50   Link #79
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
well it was confirmed they killed my favorite character and the rest of the characters are about as interesting to watch as dirt blowing in the wind.

FALDIO PUNCH yes we all know how Welkin was acting and yes we all know he blamed himself but instead of understanding he punched him when he said the truth

oh well
Yeah you pretty much captured my feelings here. At this point who cares what happens to the rest of the characters ? Let's just have a massive bloodbath to finish off the series so at least Isara wasn't the only one lost. Or maybe that's a bit too extreme.....

Ironic that Faldio was keeping Welkin from being harassed at the funeral, but finishes the episode by punching him in the face.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:58   Link #80
Runty

I was away for the weekend (and will be for the next few), but I have a short time where I'm able to write my thoughts on this episode.
Spoiler for Episode 18, subbed:
Emo-wise, this was a great episode. Seeing Squad Seven's hatred of Damon was very good, and having everyone think that Welkin's being an idiot shows things are starting to fall apart. The rest of you might think this was just filler, but I thought it was very necessary as a human element.

Spoiler for Next Episode:
Closed Thread