AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 146 81.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 1.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-01, 07:04   Link #121
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
Well, I didn't really feel much from Mayuri's death as well because I knew she will be revived anyway. But I won't say her death was wasted because of the very reasons you stated above. Mayuri's death gave a new direction to the show and we saw so much suffering and sacrifices(Kurisu being one of them) to create a miracle.
You seem to think that a sacrifice must remain a sacrifice to "validate" the hardship and struggle.
Look at the other way: the hardship itself -validate- a solution that allows the characters to fix the present situation.
Otherwise, you would end up only on bleak results, and it is basically a circle of "hardship leading to nowhere".
Again, a "happy end" result does not invalidate struggle of that kind, especially for characters suffering a fate of doing the same crap over and over, and still remember of all of their loops.
Quote:
So what I am really afraid of here is that this show pulling a deus ex machina ending in 2 episodes which will make me feel that episode 22 should have been the last episode of steins; gate. Or maybe I am feeling negative because of one other series which did the same thing with it's ending.
It -cannot- be a deus ex machina, so long it is within the grounds of the information and setup laid by the narrative and so forth.
It would definitely a DEM if we suddenly get pixy fairies and whatnot helping Okabe in his quest. However, tweeking through time travels and loops hardly qualify to DEM at all. Should a happy end occurs, it would be best to see "how" it is occuring.

And once again, Mayuri and Kurisu being alive in the same timeline doesn't nullify Okabe's plight. To the contrary, his efforts justify such end, in contrast with all the crap he went through.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:28   Link #122
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
LOL oops at the ending. Someone set him up the bomb
Old 2011-09-01, 09:09   Link #123
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Motherfuckin ep22. I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING for the last 5-10 minutes, then realized that there are 2 more eps.
Chris for life. ;___;
Old 2011-09-01, 13:44   Link #124
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

FUCK dammit next episode still 5 days from now

waiting

waiting

waiting

waiting

ARGH STILL 5 days from now
Old 2011-09-01, 19:49   Link #125
David_The_Gnome
MR Claytard

Wow. Whaaaa...?

Just a kiss and no hot-butt-monkey-romp-fest?

Seriously though, this episode was directed and executed pretty well. Everything was just spot on perfect 9/10.

My only gripe with Steins Gate at this point (with only 2 episodes left) is that its visual novel roots really shows. It just feels that given the time-travel theme, a lot of it's potential has been limited. Most of the important stuff like SERN takeover, WWIII, Feyris's dad's death, Suzuha's fuck up happens off-screen. These are big events that the show can really make a lasting impression if it was actually shown.

Instead, every episode is basically a daily life routine where we see the characters at the lab. I realize that this is because there aren't many liberties that the producers can take since it's source is a VN. However, the end product just seems too different from what I expected.

Regardless, this show shines best at letting the characters grow on you. It might not be the next Gurren Lagann, but it's still light-years ahead of Naruto for me. The show actually makes me want to see happens next.

Waiting for the next episodes.
Old 2011-09-02, 01:40   Link #126
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

KUrisu and Okabe <<<333 too intense..

one of the best romantic build up in a non-romance show, seriously.
Old 2011-09-02, 05:06   Link #127
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

After this episode, I have a feeling that there gonna be a moral paradox at this rate:

Beta world line: SERN is authoritarian organization. Mayuri gonna die unless Okabe delete SERN's data about them. Then we move to Gamma world line
Gamma world line: Okabe will be the main cause of WW3, unless Kurisu conciously sacrifice herself to save Okabe. Then we move to Alpha world line
Alpha World line: Kurisu die unless Okabe send the message. Then we move to Gamma world line

I guess there would be a twist : the reason that Kurisu joined SERN in the first place was so she can rejoin with Okabe. But i don't know how to fit it in
Old 2011-09-02, 05:10   Link #128
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There are only 2 World Line shown:

Beta World Line: Kurisu dies. For some reason, the world is engulfed in WWIII
Alpha World Line: Mayuri dies, Kurisu doesn't because Suzuha's crash landing prevented the conference to happen. SERN managed to finish their time machine, controlling everything. While it prevents the world into descending into a world war, it is also a dystopia.

Please remember that if Okabe didn't send that d mail in episode 1, the events of episode 22 would occur the same way. That is because, erasing the traces of the first D mail would just send him back to the Beta world line where he originally came from. it isn't a different time line.

Also, Episode 12 confirms that Kurisu was dragged by SERN for their time machine against her will.
Old 2011-09-02, 05:12   Link #129
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There are only 2 World Line shown:

Beta World Line: Kurisu dies. For some reason, the world is engulfed in WWIII
Alpha World Line: Mayuri dies. SERN managed to finish their time machine, controlling everything. While it prevents the world into descending into a world war, it is also a dystopia.

Please remember that if Okabe didn't sent that d mail in episode 1, the events of episode 22 would occur the same way.
Okabe didn't receive the ep 22 phone call (about WW3) back in ep 1 isn't it? So can we assume that it's possible that this is not the world line of ep 1?
Old 2011-09-02, 05:14   Link #130
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It is the same timeline. Remember that Okabe changed the timeline -as soon- as he send the mail, which means at most few hours after he discovered Kurisu's corpse.

In fact, Suzuha called Okabe only after Mayuri fated day has passed. So arguably way later than what the anime could show before switching to the Alpha World Line.
Old 2011-09-02, 05:23   Link #131
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
It is the same timeline. Remember that Okabe changed the timeline -as soon- as he send the mail, which means at most few hours after he discovered Kurisu's corpse.

In fact, Suzuha called Okabe only after Mayuri fated day has passed. So arguably way later than what the anime could show before switching to the Alpha World Line.
Good point there since i forgot that Okabe can't travel back for more than 2 days

So SERN's dictatorship or WW3 eh? Doesn't that mean there have to be a Gamma world line somewhere to break this deadlock?
Old 2011-09-02, 08:50   Link #132
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So SERN's dictatorship or WW3 eh? Doesn't that mean there have to be a Gamma world line somewhere to break this deadlock?
Judging by Suzuha's call to Okabe at the end of episode 22, it's possible that there's a way to shift over to a Gamma timeline where Kurisu lives, if the events of WWIII are somehow linked to her death.
Old 2011-09-02, 10:38   Link #133
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Sometimes Okabe and Kurisu expression didn't fit with how their voice sounds like or react It's still a touching episode though, and quite heart wrenching to see Okabe needs to go through so much pain

.....still, what's with WW3 plot twist? Can fate just leave Okarin alone? ;_;

Old 2011-09-02, 10:39   Link #134
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Judging by Suzuha's call to Okabe at the end of episode 22, it's possible that there's a way to shift over to a Gamma timeline where Kurisu lives, if the events of WWIII are somehow linked to her death.
I hope so but what worries me is that scream from the first ep, it kinda implies Okabe failed to save her D=
Old 2011-09-02, 12:00   Link #135
klare

ok the confession, kiss and farewell looks like gonna end, but we know it will not be this easy

but WWIII is quite too big scale...
Old 2011-09-02, 12:18   Link #136
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Just to be clear, so in the current worldline Okabe is in it's been about half a month since Kurisu was killed? I actually thought that deleting the message from SERN's database took him to earlier in the day before Kurisu was killed and there might be a way to save her there, guess I was wrong. :\
Old 2011-09-02, 13:14   Link #137
Knightrunner

Why does everybody guess that there needs to be a gamma line to save Kurisu and Mayuri? It's still possible to save Kurisu in the Alpha line unless she is fated to die.

Guessing by his scream in episode 1 it seems like he failed, but maybe they can figure out who the assailant then use a time machine or time leap

Edit: People sure reply fast in this trend
Old 2011-09-02, 13:37   Link #138
EroKing

They are now in the beta timeline since the divergence meter showed going over 1%
Old 2011-09-02, 15:28   Link #139
User165949
Disabled By Request

I think that Kurisu will be ultimately saved, there's been too much build up to let her character go to waste. If it's the case, just doing it in two episodes it will be quite the rollercoaster ride. It will be enjoyable for sure, still I think that long, slightly "slow paced" endings are also good. Let's see what the creators are capable of
Old 2011-09-02, 16:33   Link #140
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Why does everybody guess that there needs to be a gamma line to save Kurisu and Mayuri? It's still possible to save Kurisu in the Alpha line unless she is fated to die.
Trying to save Kurisu in the Alpha timeline would only lead to a repeat of the situation with Mayuri; trying to save someone who is simply destined to die in that timeline, regardless of what is done. The only way one could save Kurisu if she was fated to die is to change the timelines, just as changing back to the Alpha timeline saved Mayuri.