AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-13, 23:16   Link #61
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
1) He accepted Ace's request to look after Luffy, and was adamant on ensuring the rookie would live on. Furthermore, Jimbei feels indebted to Luffy for all of the assistance he's given (freeing him from Impel Down and taking care of Arlong).

2) He seems to be an exceptionally good helmsman

3) Has a deep and difficult past, much like all the other SHs

4) He, too, longs for the co-existence between humans and mermen/fishfolk (honouring the late Otohime's ideals, and trying to make them come to fruition)

Of course, there are also reasons going against Jimbei joining as well.

1) So did WB's crew and Marco in specific from WB's order. Like I said before, he felt in debt to WB as well but he never join WB.

2) So far helmsman isn't a position that was stressed in OP and Jinbe haven't shown any helmsmen-ship that Usopp, Sanji, Zoro, Franky can't match with Nami giving the order.

3) He doesn't have difficult past of personal nature not when compare to SH or even Vivi and Hancock. yes he grew up in slums but so did every one from Sun Pirate and the Death of Fisher Tiger and Otohime impacted everyone on Fisherman Island no just him. In fact it probably impact Shirahoshi a lot more than Jinbei.

4) True, but so is Shirahoshi in this regard. And if anything have Jinbei, the most well respect and strongest Fishman to "serve" under human, even if a one who iis saving their kingdom, might do more to damage the relation than help.

I'm not opposing Jinbei join, but I just don't see how it can happen as I don't see Jinbei's case to be better than Shirahoshi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Pell was never actually confirmed to still be alive in-person in the manga, he's implied to be. It shows some panels of someone leaving a hospital and forgetting their hat, which looks like Pell's, implying he survived the explosion.

It's only in an anime-exclusive scene where he's shown to have actually survived as he's seen visiting his "grave".

And yes, Oda had a rule for the longest time about not killing off any developed characters. Of course that's no longer the case anymore.
Yes but Oda did draw him in subsequent Alabasta related scene in manga to confirm that man was indeed Pell and confirmed that in SBS.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:17   Link #62
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Yes but Brook's crewmate were all dead and he was pretty much out of commission for 50 years so he is not as experienced as you makes him out to be.
Hence why I said, "to a lesser extent". Regardless, Brooke had a previous pirate career. How long it was is unknown, but the point remains that he had prior experience/knowledge. He even recalls hearing about the rookie days of Roger.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:23   Link #63
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance , I don't hang around the One Piece forum much at all.
hmmm...that's strange considering your avatar is sanji.

seriously though, why do fans keep talking about who's the next straw hat to join, that jinbei is the most probable choice, etc.? i mean, we're not even sure if luffy will get his next crew member in this arc, it could be the next arc or the next, or if he will ever get another one at all. i understand the excitement and people can't help discuss about it but this is oda we're talking about. the guy usually has reasons to back up his choices. whether we think that person is a deserving straw hat or not is not up to us. this is his world, his story, and he's in control. let's just sit back and wait, shall we?

as for the chapter, i'm surprised that decken was killed off like that. but then again maybe oda has some other plans. if there's anything i've learned from reading one piece is to never assume anything or else i'll just embarrass myself from assuming wrong.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:29   Link #64
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
2) So far helmsman isn't a position that was stressed in OP and Jinbe haven't shown any helmsmen-ship that Usopp, Sanji, Zoro, Franky can't match with Nami giving the order.

4) True, but so is Shirahoshi in this regard. And if anything have Jinbei, the most well respect and strongest Fishman to "serve" under human, even if a one who iis saving their kingdom, might do more to damage the relation than help.
2) It doesn't matter if it wasn't stressed. It's still a role he can perform on the ship. Prior to Franky joining, Ussop used to perform the shipwright/carpentry duties in maintaining the ship.

4) Only the extremists (Hodi, Arlong, etc.) have that mentality. The general populace are more scared of being persecuted, if anything. The superiority complex you speak of is an entirely different matter.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:30   Link #65
Undertaker

Quote:
Hence why I said, "to a lesser extent". Regardless, Brooke had a previous pirate career. How long it was is unknown, but the point remains that he had prior experience/knowledge. He even recalls hearing about the rookie days of Roger.
Yes, but considering the part about Laboon, it should be their only voyage through GL and most likely he and his crew didn't even reach Shanboby let along NW. In that case, his experience is't anything SH hasn't had before. Also Brook seem more comfortable in follower role than Jinbei does. I just don't see Jinbei suddenly becomes follower when he's being on equal term with Luffy so far.

Quote:
2) It doesn't matter if it wasn't stressed. It's still a role he can perform on the ship. Prior to Franky joining, Ussop used to perform the shipwright/carpentry duties in maintaining the ship.

4) Only the extremists (Hodi, Arlong, etc.) have that mentality. The general populace are more scared of being persecuted, if anything. The superiority complex you speak of is an entirely different matter.

True, but it's a role that was used to show more of Nami's talent than anything and as I said, you claim Jinbei to be superior helmsman, I claimed that he hasn't show a thing that anyone in SH can't match. But really, it was a role being occupied by whoever is available at time. The only time SH would be in need of superior helmsman-ship it'll be during battle, but in that case Jinbei would be better served as a fighter, hence eliminate the need of such a role. (Personally I think Franky showed better helmsman skill than Jinbei had shown so far.)

Agree to some point, I mean consider Luffy and Shirahoshi's situation before. everyone jumped to conclusion despite Shirahoshi's attempt to clear things up. Maybe it won't harm the relation, it's not going to improve either.

Actually in that point, having Shirahoshi join SH and marks Luffy as her protector would have better effect furthering Human-Fish people relation than Jinbei serving under Luffy IMO.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-09-13 at 23:43.
Old 2011-09-14, 00:23   Link #66
toriko

this chapt was good Sanji and Jimbei toying with that whatsoever
"Giant-taking-pill-to-get-stronger" was badass!
( Jimbei's kick was smething else ) and Sanji
making that "Giant-taking-pill-to-get-stronger"
get up was badass 2 but, Zoro with just ONE page still took ALL the
spotlight... his Intro is just Badass as
always.
Old 2011-09-14, 00:42   Link #67
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
The whole argument about what "role" Jimbei would be assuming he does join is kinda pointless because we already have people in the crew whose role on the ship is kinda pointless, but they're still there.

Namely, Robin. Shes an archeologist. And an awesome archeologist. And thats all she needed. Also Brook was a musician. Much wanted by Luffy, sure, but a musician is still kinda pointless, and we still have one. And he fits right in, regardless.

I personally don't think Jimbei is going to join, but it would be no biggie if he does. I'm not gonna freak is he doesn't have an important or needed role on the ship.
Old 2011-09-14, 01:44   Link #68
Undertaker

Agree, the issue I have was it seems some people think Jinbei is destined to join SH and yet they can't seem to accept that Shirahoshi or Caribou has just as good a chance given the non-strength related reasons they stated. Most of those were also the same people that were against Hancock to join yet fail to see that there are even less indication to support Jinbei's case now than Hancock back than.

I really don't care if Jinbei join or not, it just that I can't see how Jinbe joining makes any sense story-wise when compare to say, Shirahoshi or even Caribou...

But I got to say the topic does spurt some discussion.
Old 2011-09-14, 02:09   Link #69
ninetail1989
Dreamer

Jinbe...very unlikely will join...Hatchi....maybe but i find him far too weak..

in the future..
Mr 2..bone grey..u guys should see this coming....an Okama joining the SH is very possible...already got a pet animal/robot/skeleton..next is OKAMA....

another hunch of a possible joining member..u guys arent gonna buy this but..
Crocodile!!!!!.....in imple Down,,,Iva said he knew Croco weakness,meet him when he was a rookie...i am guessing....Iva n Croco Clash...and Croco lose....and...IVA turn croco boy into a MAN!!!!!!!!! just why Okama Croco boy is afraid of Iva as he might tell anyone the truth that Croco was a Girl Before!!!!!!!!!

if u guys have read chapter 00...the strong world thingy...u cant even see the face of crocodile back then...u can only see the back of his/her head..smoking cigar..even the anime doesnt show it...but other char like mihawk/gecko moria/flamingo was shown clearly...

Croco an OKAMA!!!!!!!!!
Old 2011-09-14, 05:53   Link #70
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Bon-chan fo' life!

But really...it all depends on how you look at things. If you want Jinbe to join, you'll look at things in a completely different light.
These arguments are pointless and I for one will stop here.

On another note...I still want to see Robin vs Hyouzou...but oh well.
Old 2011-09-14, 08:28   Link #71
Homura7

Going by things, this is how I think the rest of the matches are going to unfold.

Chopper vs Daruma (quite obvious)

Franky vs Dosun (quite obvious too)

Robin & Brook vs Ikaros (you are trolled, giant squid, no water for you to suck)

Nami & Usopp vs Zeo (mirage tempo + various types of plants = the carpet has nowhere to run)
Old 2011-09-14, 09:42   Link #72
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
On another note...I still want to see Robin vs Hyouzou...but oh well.
I was really hoping that this was gonna happen. When I saw him heading towards Robin I went "IS ROBIN ACTUALLY GONNA GET A 1 ON 1 FIGHT!?" but of course, Zoro shows up.

I've been wanting a big 1v1 fight with Robin forever. Not just short lived ones like her and Yama, or Pell.

Quote:
Chopper vs Daruma (quite obvious)

Franky vs Dosun (quite obvious too)

Robin & Brook vs Ikaros (you are trolled, giant squid, no water for you to suck)

Nami & Usopp vs Zeo (mirage tempo + various types of plants = the carpet has nowhere to run)
Theres still Hammond left. And maybe even Caribou will pop out of nowhere and fuck shit up. Every mermaid/fishman is gathered around in one area, easy targets for him....

I just want everyone to get a 1 on 1 fight really to show off in more detail their new strengths.
Old 2011-09-14, 10:30   Link #73
marvelB

^I'm kind of unsure about Hammond at this point, to be honest. While I do think he has a badass design and all, he kinda just seems to be plain fodder at this point (unlike Hody, who is more or less glorified fodder ). Maybe if he overdosed on some ES I can see him getting some action, but considering we haven't really seen him outside of crowd scenes since his last encounter with Luffy, I don't think Oda intends to put much focus on him anymore, sadly......

As far as Robin or Brooke goes, I too am now considering the possibility of either one or both of them taking on Ikaros. As was already pointed out, his water-draining spears shouldn't work on the soul king, and the amount of limbs Robin can sprout obviously far outnumber the squid-man. Personally, I'm also now kinda hoping that Nami will take on Caribou when he eventually reappears, because it would be really badass to see one of the "weak trio" finally take down a Logia by themselves.

Also, am really glad that we finally dropped the "Jinbei should join" debate for the time being (of course it'll inevitably rear its ugly head again as long as the storyline is still running, but I'm just gonna enjoy the calm for now ).
Old 2011-09-14, 10:31   Link #74
noktown

Yeah,Jinbei is not joining,give it up
Old 2011-09-14, 10:55   Link #75
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, am really glad that we finally dropped the "Jinbei should join" debate for the time being (of course it'll inevitably rear its ugly head again as long as the storyline is still running, but I'm just gonna enjoy the calm for now ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Yeah,Jinbei is not joining,give it up
Nice going, bro.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:17   Link #76
marvelB

Well, it was nice while it lasted.....

But since we're talking about Jinbei, here's to hoping that he'll finish off Wadatsumi with a super-powered version of the ocean splitter technique we saw from that one merman from Foxy's crew (only this one would literally split the entire ocean in half!).
Old 2011-09-14, 11:28   Link #77
d3ad3r

I think Luffy's new moves are named following the pattern: Animal name (remember, he was 2 years on an insland with only Rayleigh and lots and lots of animals) + A gun name/shot ( he always said his punches will be like a bullet).
Old 2011-09-14, 11:34   Link #78
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad3r View Post
I think Luffy's new moves are named following the pattern: Animal name (remember, he was 2 years on an insland with only Rayleigh and lots and lots of animals) + A gun name/shot ( he always said his punches will be like a bullet).
Gomu Gomu no Dolphin Shotgun! Gomu Gomu no Penguin Bazooka! Gomu Gomu no Koala Machine Gun!

...I'll just grab my coat and leave then....

(but I do like the idea of it being an animal + bullet)
Old 2011-09-14, 11:34   Link #79
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, it was nice while it lasted.....
Caribou should join...

In all seriousness, who amongst the Fishmen can really fight against Robin? The Trio can undoubtedly beat all of them, maybe even all of them by themselves (e.g. 1 against all), but damn if Robin's powers don't also lend her the ability to take down all of the fighters as well. Consequently, I don't know if she will fight if only because she should be able to beat anyone she fights easily.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:41   Link #80
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Consequently, I don't know if she will fight if only because she should be able to beat anyone she fights easily.
THIS. This is how I always felt. To me, Robin always seemed super powerful because of her devil fruit (she almost killed Moriah easily, only reason she failed was because he switched places with his shadow. Not to mention Aokiji doing something similar) and nows shes more powerful. If she wanted to, she could crush a lot of people easily. But I feel like Oda always finds a way to prevent her from doing so
Closed Thread