Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-20, 16:33   Link #1
Cream

Summer Wars -like-

Couldn't think of a specific title -.-.
I'm looking for a movie(Yes , movie. You could suggest an anime but chances are i wont really look into it :| ) that has a similar style to summer wars. Recently watched the movie, it was worth the 2hour download haha.
It could be similar in development , style or art.
Im inlove with the art so thats a big + .
Hope you guys can help me .
- Thanks
Old 2011-03-20, 16:42   Link #2
Le Communard

I don't know if you've seen it or not, but Summer Wars was sort of a spiritual successor to War Games, which might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

MAL
Old 2011-03-20, 16:44   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo) is a must watch then. It's directed by Hosoda Mamoru, who also directed Summer Wars.

The Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game movie falls into the same category as well. Don't let the fact that it's a Digmon film stop you from watching it. Trust me.
Old 2011-03-20, 17:02   Link #4
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Summer wars is basically the same thing as The Digimon Movie

-same style
-same director
-virtual world in a real one
-awesome fighting
-Good VA

its the same but i still bought Summer wars nevertheless.
Old 2011-03-20, 17:25   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
As people have said:

-The girl who leapt through time
-Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game

Both were directed by the director of summer wars
Old 2011-03-20, 21:30   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You can ignore this suggestion if you like, but I'd strongly recommend you try watching Dennou Coil. It shares some similarities with Summer Wars in story line (virtual worlds affecting real life) and in their emotionalism. It's one of my favorite animes of all time, and certainly one of the best series released in the past decade.

BTW, you really ought to buy a copy of Summer Wars if you enjoyed it. At $18 for the DVD or $21 for the Blu-ray, it's not really going to break the bank, is it?
Old 2011-03-22, 21:50   Link #7
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You can ignore this suggestion if you like, but I'd strongly recommend you try watching Dennou Coil. It shares some similarities with Summer Wars in story line (virtual worlds affecting real life) and in their emotionalism. It's one of my favorite animes of all time, and certainly one of the best series released in the past decade.

BTW, you really ought to buy a copy of Summer Wars if you enjoyed it. At $18 for the DVD or $21 for the Blu-ray, it's not really going to break the bank, is it?
Now thats the exact art i was looking for , thanks for the suggestion. I should finish it in no time. Is it the type of anime i shouldn't rush ? (Will i be sad when i can't watch more episodes etc)

Oh , and yeah totally. 21$ is nothing , i'll try and get that soon. Getting birthday money soon anyways :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo) is a must watch then. It's directed by Hosoda Mamoru, who also directed Summer Wars.

The Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game movie falls into the same category as well. Don't let the fact that it's a Digmon film stop you from watching it. Trust me.
Oh nice, hopefully the director did as good on The Girl who Leapt Through Time as he did on SummerWars . Downloading now~

Digimon? It wont be a problem to watch it, do i need to know more than the basic background information of Digimon? I kinda remember the idea and stuff but i dont really remember details and what-not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Summer wars is basically the same thing as The Digimon Movie

-same style
-same director
-virtual world in a real one
-awesome fighting
-Good VA

its the same but i still bought Summer wars nevertheless.
Those are the qualities im looking for , you hit it right on.

Thanks guys, taking more suggestions.
Old 2011-03-23, 10:08   Link #8
Stefkov

When I watched Welcome to the Space Show I got a similar sort of feeling like when I watched Summer Wars. An adventure sort of film with suspense, extremely nice visuals and a really nice ending.
What surprised me was that the main characters in Welcome to the Space show are all voiced by child actors, if I didn't read that I wouldn't have guessed.
Old 2011-03-23, 11:04   Link #9
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Digimon? It wont be a problem to watch it, do i need to know more than the basic background information of Digimon? I kinda remember the idea and stuff but i dont really remember details and what-not.
Not really, it's just a sort of spin-off story. It's not quite at Summer Wars' level, but should still be a fun watch.
Old 2011-03-27, 12:47   Link #10
Cream

Ahh. The Digimion movie as okay , not as expected though.
But hell, The Girl who leapt through time was pure genius. Had everything i wanted , definitely recommended to anyone who didnt see it yet.

Still looking for more.

Downloading Dennou Coil now, hopefully i can finish it before the new season . If not , i'll be screwed over for my time scheduling lol.
Old 2011-03-28, 13:52   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Watch Wargames if you haven't.

DO IT NOW.

Classic nerd flick!