AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2003-12-30, 23:54   Link #1
shadowhacker

Question IS gundam zeta licensed

IS gundam zeta licensed
shadowhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 00:02   Link #2
bayoab

"When it comes to gundam, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when"

i.e. yes
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 00:15   Link #3
method

Yes it is licensed and has been since 2002. The boxset should be out in 2-3 months.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 12:25   Link #4
Silver_Scorcher

Yeah, while Zeta Gundam is licensed, I think that it will be released after Gundam SEED is. Seed is supposed to be released between late spring and early summer. Zeta was supposed to be released some time last year, but because SEED got licensed late last summer and Zeta is an older title, it'll probably be released just after SEED starts getting released. I'm kinda pissed off, cuz I've been waiting quite a while for Zeta Gundam and F-91 to come out, and until SEED is released, those two titles will be put on the back-burner for a little longer.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 14:34   Link #5
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Bandai won't wait that long to appease fans of UC Gundam. They've shown a tendency to do alternating recent/non-UC and UC releases (for TV at least, W -> MSG -> G Gundam -> Z Gundam -> SEED.)

I'm sure considering that SEED will be much bigger than Z is (and kinda aimed at different fanbases,) that Bandai would like to make their money back on Z Gundam off us crazed fans that want the boxed set ASAP. They won't wait.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 21:30   Link #6
method

Jerry Chu has already said that the boxset is ready to go and should be out in the first quater. The late release was caused by a switch in the dubbing studios.
Old 2004-01-13, 22:47   Link #7
Kaka
罪人クロノ

hmmm.........

I just wonder why so many people put "Gundam Z" instead of "Z Gundam" @_@
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 22:51   Link #8
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Bandai won't wait that long to appease fans of UC Gundam. They've shown a tendency to do alternating recent/non-UC and UC releases (for TV at least, W -> MSG -> G Gundam -> Z Gundam -> SEED.)

I'm sure considering that SEED will be much bigger than Z is (and kinda aimed at different fanbases,) that Bandai would like to make their money back on Z Gundam off us crazed fans that want the boxed set ASAP. They won't wait.
they should show the UC first
most people in NA are like contaminated by wing..........

I think so too.......
when speaking about story, Z definitely is better
but I guess it's kind of hard to make people to watch Z, which is anime from 19 yrs ago......

this is what I think is going to happen...................."Oh, the drawing of Z sucks, Wing is better *TV off*"
Old 2004-01-13, 23:17   Link #9
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka
they should show the UC first
most people in NA are like contaminated by wing..........

I think so too.......
when speaking about story, Z definitely is better
but I guess it's kind of hard to make people to watch Z, which is anime from 19 yrs ago......

this is what I think is going to happen...................."Oh, the drawing of Z sucks, Wing is better *TV off*"
I don't think Zeta is that bad compared to First Gundam in terms of animation... In fact I think it's good actually, compared to, say, fan favorites like Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya which were made only a tiny bit after Zeta and ZZ... But I think Tomino's directing/writing style might not go well with modern western audiences though (which has been shown with the lack of interest especially in the fansubbing community in his latest works like Turn A Gundam and Overman King Gainer).

But yeah, like I said in the other thread a while ago, if people see Gundam Seed on TV, and then they watch Zeta a few hours later, it's pretty obvious what they are going to stick with, just by watch the animation alone. Which is why I think the AU/UC alterations is bad for Bandai's profits. If they had stuck with UC, show the shows in the correct order and then finish it before starting AU it would have been much better off (and Tomino wouldn't be as pissed at Bandai Entertainment either )
Old 2004-01-13, 23:21   Link #10
method

Tomino's been pissed at Bandai even before they started importing the gundam series.

In the interview with the Seed director he told him not to trust Bandai.
Old 2004-01-13, 23:28   Link #11
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Tomino's been pissed at Bandai even before they started importing the gundam series.

In the interview with the Seed director he told him not to trust Bandai.
I am talking about Bandai Entertainment (as in the US DVD licensor) and possibly Tomino's view of Americans as a whole...

But of course, no one likes Bandai (the Japanese toy/entertainment giant that is)... In fact the whole purpose of the creation of the studio, BONES, was so that former Sunrise creators can get out of Bandai's neckbreaking control. And one of the main reason that Tomino made Turn A is to rebel against Bandai and to try to find out how much he can get away with pissing them off... And it seems like Bandai has learned their lesson because even though Tomino is rumored to be willing to make a new Gundam if Bandai lets him and gives him the right budget, there hasn't been anything else going along there.
Old 2004-01-13, 23:30   Link #12
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
I don't think Zeta is that bad compared to First Gundam in terms of animation... In fact I think it's good actually, compared to, say, fan favorites like Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya which were made only a tiny bit after Zeta and ZZ... But I think Tomino's directing/writing style might not go well with modern western audiences though (which has been shown with the lack of interest especially in the fansubbing community in his latest works like Turn A Gundam and Overman King Gainer).
I guess so too.........

but there are always stupid people who like to judge on anime just by looking at the animation ^^;;;; I even saw people on another forum who said "NOTHING IS BETTER THAN WING"
Old 2004-01-13, 23:37   Link #13
method

Its rampant on this forum too.

I haven't heard what Tomino thinks of the US branch of Bandai or the American public. He is responsible for the removal of Doan's island because he thought it wasn't up to par with the rest of the series. Rumors are circulating that they are letting him make a movie version of Zeta similar to what he did for MSG. From what I've been told for Turn A Space he wants to combine all the mecha anime Sunrise has done over the years and bring the colonies back.
Old 2004-01-14, 00:30   Link #14
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Its rampant on this forum too.

I haven't heard what Tomino thinks of the US branch of Bandai or the American public. He is responsible for the removal of Doan's island because he thought it wasn't up to par with the rest of the series. Rumors are circulating that they are letting him make a movie version of Zeta similar to what he did for MSG. From what I've been told for Turn A Space he wants to combine all the mecha anime Sunrise has done over the years and bring the colonies back.
He was also the reason why a subbed version of the original MSG was never released here (the sound quality had supposedly degenerated too much and he didn't think it would be up to par for a DVD release--I guess that applies in Japan too?)

But anyway, he keeps hinting that there's a Zeta "something" in 2004, but Sunrise has repeatedly denied that there will be any new animation done for UC this year... So if there IS a Zeta it'd be a total cut from the series, so it'll probably be more Turn A movies than the Trilogy which features a lot of new animation. And I was referring to Tomino's quote which goes something like "I tell them I'll be willing [to make a new Gundam] but I asked for #### yen for the budget" or something like that... I don't think he's referring to Turn A Space there though (which is another project that Bandai probably will never make).
Old 2004-01-14, 00:44   Link #15
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
He was also the reason why a subbed version of the original MSG was never released here (the sound quality had supposedly degenerated too much and he didn't think it would be up to par for a DVD release--I guess that applies in Japan too?)
No he was not.

The main reason why MSG never got a subtitled DVD release in the US is because there hasn't been one in Japan and they're protecting it from reverse importation.

Bandai only had two options - release it dub only, or don't release it at all, so they released it dubbed.

MSG will never be released subbed in the US until after it has been released there.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 09:58   Link #16
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
No he was not.

The main reason why MSG never got a subtitled DVD release in the US is because there hasn't been one in Japan and they're protecting it from reverse importation.
Right, hence my statement that it doesn't apply to Japan also. Tomino said that the audio quality had degraded too much, so it was never released in ANY DVD.