AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-19, 19:30   Link #101
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Ups, i edited my post, because it was too long and some stuff when missing, what i mean was mulitmedia device. I also wrote something about the gps module and how it was being delayed aso.
One could also argue that because of the restructuring and slimlining departments at sony, i.e dropping its plasma production and other technology did effect other divisons such as the gaming department as well. I mean today, unlike few years back, sony do make profit from selling TVs, other entertainment devices and from its motion picture groups. So obviously focusing on the entertainment sector is more profitable for sony, than only focusing on gaming. If we look at the other angle the psp is probably one of the best selling portable multimedia devices in recent years, maybe even beating the ipod(?), and the ps3 is the best selling blu-ray player currently on the market, and probably will still be in the future. With skype newly announced for the psp, they are obviously going to targeting Voip phones next.
The thing is Sony's usual strategy for gaming systems. I know for sure they did it with the PS2 and PS3, and even the PSP. They spend more to manufacture the systems and make up the loss from software. Meaning the PSP makes up for the loss of money from selling the unit so low in price by selling alot of software. Now everyone knows how well(or more like, how terribly) the UMD movies are selling. The only thing right now that's making money for Sony is the software; the games. So you can't really say they're focused on it being a multimedia device when they don't make money from the mp3s or videos uploaded from everyone's computer, they make money from the games. Perhaps later on they may make money on add-on hardware, but for now it's all about the games.

Quote:
The whole DS vs PSP is kind of weird anyway, on one side you have a great gaming device and on the other a highend gadget machine, that you can use as a phone now. So if one wants to compare both you have to set boundaries, and that would be focusing only on games.
Agreed; the games ultimately make the system, but even then, it's up to opinion on which is better.
Old 2008-01-19, 21:18   Link #102
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacloudstrife View Post
The only thing right now that's making money for Sony is the software; the games. So you can't really say they're focused on it being a multimedia device when they don't make money from the mp3s or videos uploaded from everyone's computer, they make money from the games. Perhaps later on they may make money on add-on hardware, but for now it's all about the games.
PSP software sales are abysmal. They may not be pushing the multimedia capabilities very much in the US, but that's definitely not the case in Japan. The camera, GPS, and 1-seg tuner attachments are all successful in Japan.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 21:27   Link #103
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
PSP software sales are abysmal. They may not be pushing the multimedia capabilities very much in the US, but that's definitely not the case in Japan. The camera, GPS, and 1-seg tuner attachments are all successful in Japan.
Actually, the PSP is a hit with casual and mainstream game players. I always see people on the train playing their PSPs. Hell, some even buy the movies.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 23:50   Link #104
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Uh... did I say anything about the software sales being good or bad in my last post? I merely said that they don't make money off of the PSP hardware, they make money off of the software. And yes, I'm talking about the US, since I don't live in Japan and wouldn't know about any of the hardware sales over there. =) But you know... since there aren't any hardware add-ons in the US, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the games bring home the money for Sony, and that's what I said in my last post before it was construed by your reply.
Old 2008-11-08, 11:17   Link #105
strategos

DS versus PSP, which one would you pick?

Well, I was trying to make a poll, but not sure how is it done. Anyway, I was planning on buying one of them two. Want to listen what everyone thinks of each system. What are the pros and cons ^^.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 11:55   Link #106
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i have both, and they are way different in feel when you play it. Get both, and they are both great. If I have to pick one, i would pick ds cuz its still cheaper
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 12:31   Link #107
strategos

Well, there are right now, more games from DS I want to play than from PSP. Not much interested in hacking either system. Which system got more rpg?

Old 2008-11-08, 12:46   Link #108
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you want truly unique RPGs, definitely DS, for they have games that fully utilise touch screen, voice control and normal buttons.

PSP have a bunch of ports from PS1 and 2.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 13:11   Link #109
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I prefer the DS. I have about 27 games IIRC. will be 30+ by the holidays.

Get the DS if you want games. Get the PSP if you want ports.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 22:44   Link #110
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If you want truly unique RPGs, definitely DS, for they have games that fully utilise touch screen, voice control and normal buttons.

PSP have a bunch of ports from PS1 and 2.
The PSP is great for RPGs. And most of the popular RPGs on the DS are ports.
Old 2008-11-09, 22:54   Link #111
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
The World Ends With You? Sigma Harmonics? Super Robot Wars W, Knights in the Knightmare etc. Haven't heard of those?

I'm saying unique RPGs which DS wins in those. But yes they're 90% J and SRPGS which will never go out of Japan, I'm not surprised people don't know about them.

You're probably seeing DS having ports because those ports are extremely big titles like the FFs which travel around the world in remakes all the time.

By uniqueness, DS owns the market with their creativity in gameplay and controls.

Of course PSP has their own great games, but they're still limited by traditional controls and thus does not have the uniqueness in gameplay which DS provides.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:31   Link #112
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Remakes, not Ports.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 10:00   Link #113
strategos

Well, I made up my mind. I went for

Spoiler for Are you ready XD:

I might go for the other one, next year thou. But when I go thru all the list of games that are on NDS versus psp, I preffer at the moment DS. Even so, PSP is bringin some PS1 games that were never release on the States like the one from Star Ocean. So I am looking toward to it ^_^.

Old 2008-11-13, 11:39   Link #114
strategos

Any good know MEchs games that have come to the USA for DS?

Old 2008-11-26, 22:30   Link #115
Fedric 555

well,i prefer the psp than the nintendo ds.the psp feature is way better than the nintendo ds.
Fedric 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 22:05   Link #116
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The World Ends With You? Sigma Harmonics? Super Robot Wars W, Knights in the Knightmare etc. Haven't heard of those?
I will add

Released in France:

Magical Starsign
Lunar Knights
Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2
Children of Mana
Dragon quest Monsters: Joker
The Pokémon games (Mystery Dungeon, and normal)

And I forgot some for sure

Still not released / not released in France supposed good games

Soma Bringer
Tales of Hearts
Glory Of Heracles
World Destruction
7th Dragon
Shining Force Feather
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Izuna

And many others, and thus, without counting the remakes and the nintendo games like Mario and Luigi minus pokémon, and crap games like Tales of Innoncence and Tales of the Tempest

Do I have to continue?

DS all the way
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 22:23   Link #117
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

I'm not being a fanboy. I'm just trying to help.

You live in France, right? Which means you haven't gotten Izuna yet.

Don't. At least not as soon as it comes out.

It's overrated. I'd suggest renting it first. Also, there's a fighting game with Izuna in it called Windy X Windam. It is irredeemably bad. Don't even look at it.
Old 2008-11-28, 22:29   Link #118
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
I'm not being a fanboy. I'm just trying to help.

You live in France, right? Which means you haven't gotten Izuna yet.

Don't. At least not as soon as it comes out.

It's overrated. I'd suggest renting it first. Also, there's a fighting game with Izuna in it called Windy X Windam. It is irredeemably bad. Don't even look at it.
As stated in my post above, yeah Izuna is still not released here.

We can't rent games here (that kind of service doesn't exist as far as I know). And I didn't play to all those games. I play to some, and eventually hear some impressions from friends, or read on websites ^^

The only new RPG i plan to buy when/if he will come out here is Soma Bringer.

A friend of mine will lend me The World Ends With You again (he already did some times ago but I never really had the time to play to it)

(i am a pokémon fan, so I tend to play to pokémon (not to the console pokémon games though, they are crappy) XD)

But thanks for your comment
Old 2008-11-29, 07:57   Link #119
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
And many others, and thus, without counting the remakes and the nintendo games like Mario and Luigi minus pokémon, and crap games like Tales of Innoncence and Tales of the Tempest
Wait, did you actually called Tales of Innoncence crap?
Btw both Izuna titles are good games, but not for everyone.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 18:54   Link #120
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Wait, did you actually called Tales of Innoncence crap?
Btw both Izuna titles are good games, but not for everyone.
I did, but I haven't played to it . I just saw many people complaining on french forums ^^"

What do you mean by" not for everyone"?