AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-07-22, 15:20   Link #521
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Yeah, but that one doesn't count so much since both the Ghost and the YF-21 were pushing so hard at that point it doesn't even really count as "atmospheric performance" anymore
I agree. Atmospheric sheering was reaching such high temperatures that the skin of the fighters were beginning to melt. They were probably pulling more than Mach 24 at the time. Plus you can see both craft are actually using vernier thrusters in the atmosphere in order to maneuver at such high velocities. Maybe it should be called trans-atmospheric combat
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 23:36   Link #522
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
The giant Macross just KILLS it because there's virtually ZERO purpose to being humanoid. You might as well equip a GIGANTIC cannon and armaments of missiles on the regular ship and THERE YOU GO. It has shown no NEED to move around fluidly nor has it shown it CAN.
Been giving it some thought and I can only see 2 great advantages to having a battleship operate in humanoid form.

1. Superior firing arc. Since the superweapon is mounted on Quarter's right arm, it would be feasible to have a firing arc of 160 degrees azimuth and 180 degrees elevation. That's an incredibly huge advantage for any weapons platform.

2. Vector thrusting with its primary engines. The flexibility of Quarter's "legs" could theoretically allow Quarter to move in all 6 degrees of freedom. It should easily be able to rotate about the roll and pitch axes and with some effort it should be about to rotate about the yaw axis. The real benefit of Quarter's vector thrusting would probably be in the movements along the directional axes. Movement along the longitudinal and latitudinal axes would probably be easy, but movement along the vertical axis seems to be limited to only the "upward" direction. That pretty much beats any traditional capital ship which can thrust only in the longitudinal axis. In addition, this level of agility should also be able to function as a defensive element if Quarter is able to maneuver outside the enemy weapon's tracking rates.

Basically we end up having a highly agile battleship that has a superior field of fire. We get to see the agility of Quarter in ep 7, when Bobby flys it behind the asteroid and into the "mouth" of the Vajra capital ship. But we really haven't seen Quarter take advantage of its excellent field of fire yet. Once we get a scene of that then I think I'd be comfortable arguing that Quarter's humanoid form is justifiable.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 01:22   Link #523
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Basically we end up having a highly agile battleship that has a superior field of fire. We get to see the agility of Quarter in ep 7, when Bobby flys it behind the asteroid and into the "mouth" of the Vajra capital ship. But we really haven't seen Quarter take advantage of its excellent field of fire yet. Once we get a scene of that then I think I'd be comfortable arguing that Quarter's humanoid form is justifiable.
I'd say that Quarter's form is justifiable anyway because of the Rule of Cool.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 12:02   Link #524
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
The humanoid form is also a morale booster.

Man, having the Macross Cannon do a left to right sweep through a line of ships is pure pwnage!
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 18:16   Link #525
ReddyRedWolf

Really? Then what about the original SDF-1 in Gerwalk mode?

ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 18:18   Link #526
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Why does that look like as if the SDF was taking a crap?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 19:31   Link #527
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

lol Constipated
Sleepy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 09:27   Link #528
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Man Gerwalk for the SDF would make the battleroid mode make absolutely no sense. I mean the macross cannon is already in firing position and it could use it's main legs for maneuvering.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 11:31   Link #529
ReddyRedWolf

VF-X-4

I know this thing we haven't classified as a VF but bear with.

Remember when we speculated this thing is VF-4?

If it is a VF it is likely from the same design lineage as the VF-4.
Spoiler for VF-4:

So this guy could have a similar transformation scheme.

But much closer to the the VF-X-4 prototype.
Old 2008-07-28, 01:50   Link #530
Darial
Otaku in disguise

All that VF is now on Youtube. Here's a link

Wish it was much longer, but man it was good.

Last edited by Darial; 2008-07-28 at 17:16.
Darial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 18:24   Link #531
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
All that VF is now on Youtube. Here's a link

Wish it was much longer, but man it was good.
Thanks for the link. Now, I really did wish that VF was for real. Unfortunately I didn't see the VF-27.
Sleepy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 01:40   Link #532
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can the SDF-1 even go into Gerwalk mode? (it would seem to give a shorter profile from the front or back, but it's arm's can't reach out and touch someone in that drawing.)

Also I'm wondering if I missed something. Is Quarter the Macross 25 or is it a smaller Macross-like warship. I was thinking somehow that the Macross 25 was larger and more like the Macross 7.
Old 2008-07-30, 06:07   Link #533
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Can the SDF-1 even go into Gerwalk mode? (it would seem to give a shorter profile from the front or back, but it's arm's can't reach out and touch someone in that drawing.)

Also I'm wondering if I missed something. Is Quarter the Macross 25 or is it a smaller Macross-like warship. I was thinking somehow that the Macross 25 was larger and more like the Macross 7.
Macross Frontier does have a New Macross Class carrier. Macross Quarter (400 m)is 1/4th the size of the original SDF Macross which is 1,200 m.

Spoiler for Battle 25 or Battle Frontier:

Macross 7's City 7 is about 5 km while Frontier's Island 1 is 15 km. That's just Island 1.

The better question is where is Macross Galaxy's New Macross Class Carrier

According to this it has one but we couldn't figure out where.

Spoiler for Macross Galaxy:

But the New Macross Class has been known to have several variants.

Spoiler for Macross 7, Battle 7 and City 7:

Spoiler for Macross 5 Zentradi Variant Batlle 5 and City 5:

Spoiler for Macross 13, Battle 13 variant:

Spoiler for Macross 1 Fleet NMC Shelless City blocks:

To date there are four known variants of the New Macross Class Carriers. Battle 1s and 7, Zentradi Variant Battle 5s, Battle 13 and Frontier's Battle 25 or Frontier.

There are 3 types of NMC City blocks Macross 1 tri-fin shelless type, City 7, Zentradi City 5 blocks.

Frontier's Island Cluster Class is a totally different ballgame in terms of size and capacity. It is termed as a bio plant type colony.

While Macross Galaxy, which is significantly different from the others, has been called a chemical plant type colony.
Old 2008-07-30, 06:46   Link #534
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

The most probable location of Galaxy's Macross ship is its top part, which was seen to be somewhat detached during the Vajra "attack" in ep 6.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 07:37   Link #535
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

It is just a small ship, qurter size of the original macross-type of ship... and yes transformation doesn't make sense. Too many moving parts. the extra movement and space occupied by the motors i feel is inefficient. Looks cool though.
sekidousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 08:18   Link #536
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekidousai View Post
It is just a small ship, qurter size of the original macross-type of ship... and yes transformation doesn't make sense. Too many moving parts. the extra movement and space occupied by the motors i feel is inefficient. Looks cool though.
Essentially the principle is an oversized Valkyrie.

The Quarter's hull design appears to take after the Meltran gunboat.

Such variable concepts has been applied to the Koenig Monster and the Variable Glaug.
Old 2008-07-30, 09:15   Link #537
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I will agree that the larger slower New Macross class ship don't really benefit from a transformation mode.

Quarter however shows that with their "gerwalk" mode to have superior mobility to any capital class ship out there.
Old 2008-07-30, 09:20   Link #538
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

Now that i think about it, the Variable transformation thing might be getting overused. Maybe soon there would be a toaster that changes into gerwalk mode...(The horror!)
Old 2008-07-30, 09:32   Link #539
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Transformation is like the touch screen on the ipod or the motion control on the wii. It starts out as something innovative and practical , but then gets commercially whored out to ever product in existence.

I mean if you can have a transforming plane would you EVER want just a normal plane?
Old 2008-07-30, 10:32   Link #540
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Transformation is like the touch screen on the ipod or the motion control on the wii. It starts out as something innovative and practical , but then gets commercially whored out to ever product in existence.

I mean if you can have a transforming plane would you EVER want just a normal plane?
Err, touchscreen has been in mobile media players before i-pod used it. Even the scroll wheel on i-pod has legal issues that they lost(so nothing innovative there). The wii however is a different story. i don't like the wii, i got ps3 anyway, waiting for the Macross on ps3 ^^;

As for the transforming plane, i want it. it has it's practical use. For the transforming ship, Although it's cool and all i still think its not practical. And it has been debated heavily a long time ago in other forums, i don't wanna go back there again .