AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-04-29, 16:14   Link #1881
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The IDE doesn't want the power/ability to evolve. They want to use it to evolve. So with the facts we know it doesn't entirely make sense why the IDE wouldn't just take the ability and use it for their own aims.
Didn't they want to figure out how she creates data out of nothing so they can reverse engineer it and use it to evolve?

Quote:
ex:An IDE Interface is incapable of controlling Avatar buildup "stress". Only Espers are capable of properly fighting the Avatars and controlling their build up. An IDE interface manipulating Haruhi's power would not be able to express Espers properly, meaning that Avatar Closed spaces would grow uncontrolled.
Fits in well with my theory. Only certain human beings are capable of controlling the Avatar buildup.

Since both Sasaki and Haruhi appear to have created Espers...

Quote:
I find the idea that the IDE considers their interfaces more demented than Haruhi amusing.
I agree, very amusing indeed.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 16:22   Link #1882
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Didn't they want to figure out how she creates data out of nothing so they can reverse engineer it and use it to evolve?
Yes. So everytime Haruhi did something with her "power" they were very interested in observing it in order to figure out how it worked. But Haruhi didn't always "put out". From a simply pragmatic perspective, the IDE would have simply grabbed the power and started tinkering with it until they figured out how it worked. They didn't. That would suggest that there was something preventing them from doing it.

I'm thinking it was a matter of the IDE thinking that it's interfaces which could manipulate the power

Aid not have the ability to safely hold the power
or
B:Were not reliable enough to be given that much power
Quote:
Fits in well with my theory. Only certain human beings are capable of controlling the Avatar buildup.

The fact that Sasaki had an Esper group seemed to be a strong indicator that such individuals are part of the natural control system for individuals who can utilize the power.
Quote:
I agree, very amusing indeed.
People give Haruhi a hard time for doing wacky shit with her abilities. But she is hardly that bad. Imagine if it was in some North Korean peasant who'd been indoctrinated into believing that Kim was a god? Or a white supremacist. Or Charles Manson!

Helter Skelter anyone?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 16:49   Link #1883
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The fact that Sasaki had an Esper group seemed to be a strong indicator that such individuals are part of the natural control system for individuals who can utilize the power.
I think we've just figured out something concrete about the Haruhiverse. Excellent.

Quote:
People give Haruhi a hard time for doing wacky shit with her abilities. But she is hardly that bad. Imagine if it was in some North Korean peasant who'd been indoctrinated into believing that Kim was a god? Or a white supremacist. Or Charles Manson!

Helter Skelter anyone?
One reason I think the "Haruhi is a sociopath" argument is worthless. As you say, she isn't that bad.
Old 2009-04-29, 18:21   Link #1884
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
What? similar to the Evangelion ending where Asuka and Shinji are the last humans left?
Amusingly enough, I didn't even realize the Eva parallel until after I posted
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 18:28   Link #1885
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Amusingly enough, I didn't even realize the Eva parallel until after I posted
I've been saying that Haruhi should end like that for years...
Old 2009-04-29, 19:44   Link #1886
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I think we've just figured out something concrete about the Haruhiverse. Excellent.
Thanks.
Quote:
One reason I think the "Haruhi is a sociopath" argument is worthless. As you say, she isn't that bad.
If Haruhi was a true malevolent sociopath the world would be a far scarier place.
Old 2009-04-30, 02:10   Link #1887
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Which brings up the question of why the IDE didn't just have one of their interfaces just grab the power from the start and use it for their research...
Anybody ever seen Stargate SG-1? Giving a Cliff Notes version of the pertinent section of the 10-year-long storyline, there's this super-advanced alien race called the Asgard (they are more or less the inspiration for Norse mythology) who created these semi-sentient insectoid machines called "Replicators" (imagine if an Erector set mated with a box of Legos), who (surprise, surprise) turn against their creators and threaten to wipe them out by literally eating everything and turning it into more Replicators (hence the name). Problem is, the Asgard are massively advanced, but after millenia of cloning to extend their lives and consciousnesses, they have reached a dead end in both evolution and imagination. As a result, the fight against the nigh-indestructable Replicators is not going well. Enter our plucky human protagonists, who after finding no luck attacking the Replicators with energy weapons (and finding that the Asgard have had no luck with their own considerably more potent and advanced energy weapons) take to blasting them to pieces with small arms fire, to great success. Throughout the majority of the rest of the series, the Asgard, instead of just churning out a ton of shotguns and uzis to defend themselves, continue to rely on the humans to pull their little "Grey" asses out of the fire in battles against the Replicators. The concept of using projectile weapons is so ancient and backward to them that they are more or less incapable of even considering it.

So it is with the Data Overmind. Sure, Yuki can "borrow" Haruhi's (and Mikuru's) power to turn everything within a year or two radius into one big bachelorette pad in order to get Kyon into her pants, but the execution is imperfect, and would have likely been doomed to failure due to a still-psychopathic Asakura, even had Kyon not hit the reset button. The grasp of Haruhi's powers is even more "alien" to the Data Overmind as a whole, so there's no way they'd be able to just pick it up and figure it out on their own. This is one situation where observation is the only way to learn.

Quote:
I still have my doubts that Tachibana is a "Sasaki Esper". I think that either she's a rogue "Haruhi Esper" that has a slightly different power from Itsuki (illusion, limited mind control), or a powerless "potential Sasaki Esper" and the undoubtedly powered Kuyoh was the one manipulating Kyon's perceptions of Tachibana's "powers". Assuming, as the "Haruhi Espers" such as Itsuki believe, that all their power comes from Haruhi, how would Tachibana have any power if Sasaki has had hers usurped? That and "Sasaki's Closed Space" and the little details of going and coming out of it just strike me as...off...
Old 2009-04-30, 06:13   Link #1888
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
*snip*
Not quite sure if this is a good analogy.

The disappearance saga suggests pretty strongly that an IDE interface is perfectly capable of manipulating the power. Any apparent limitation limitation with the power is more likely due to Yuki's own restraint than any hardset limit on her ability to use the power. I mean, she removed the IDE from the entire UNIVERSE.

The only reason the IDE wouldn't take the power either for direct practical application or for easier experimentation is probably because they had control issues of some kind.
Quote:
Assuming, as the "Haruhi Espers" such as Itsuki believe, that all their power comes from Haruhi, how would Tachibana have any power if Sasaki has had hers usurped?
I think the Sasaki Espers still do have their power. It's just that they have little opportunity to utilize it due to Sasaki not creating Avatars, or not being capable of producing them at this time.

The fact that they can enter closed spaces suggests that they still have power despite Sasaki not having anyone.
Quote:
That and "Sasaki's Closed Space" and the little details of going and coming out of it just strike me as...off...
It's supposed to. It's supposed to remind you that there are fundemental differences between Haruhi and Sasaki.
Old 2009-04-30, 08:24   Link #1889
Tabasco

Quote:
Not quite sure if this is a good analogy.

The disappearance saga suggests pretty strongly that an IDE interface is perfectly capable of manipulating the power. Any apparent limitation limitation with the power is more likely due to Yuki's own restraint than any hardset limit on her ability to use the power. I mean, she removed the IDE from the entire UNIVERSE.
I wonder if it isn't a chicken and egg problem. Did using the power send Yuki for a loop, and make her do all those things, or was she slowly going nuts to begin with and that drove her to use it?

Quote:
The only reason the IDE wouldn't take the power either for direct practical application or for easier experimentation is probably because they had control issues of some kind.
Or they wanted a try before you buy. If they genuinely don't know what it is, it might be a good ideal to keep it in somebody else's body rather than hook it up directly to what are essentially one of the gods of the universe.

Quote:
I think the Sasaki Espers still do have their power. It's just that they have little opportunity to utilize it due to Sasaki not creating Avatars, or not being capable of producing them at this time.

The fact that they can enter closed spaces suggests that they still have power despite Sasaki not having anyone.

It's supposed to. It's supposed to remind you that there are fundemental differences between Haruhi and Sasaki.
I wonder about Sasaki a little. I mean, she looks saner than Haruhi on her best day, but then she goes and associates with this anti-SOS brigade that couldn't look any shadier if it tried...
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 08:50   Link #1890
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I wonder about Sasaki a little. I mean, she looks saner than Haruhi on her best day, but then she goes and associates with this anti-SOS brigade that couldn't look any shadier if it tried...
Of course, despite how bad they look, Fujiwara's goals at the least seem a hell of a lot more noble than the goals of the actual SOS Brigade.

This may be the point.

Also, this made me laugh (NSFW). Artefact is such a horrible troll.
Old 2009-04-30, 09:36   Link #1891
PastPrime

Quote:

I think that it is very possible that Sasaki does have powers similar to Haruhi, but because of her personality and outlook she has never used them. Perhaps she and Haruhi are like Yin and Yang. Opposite sides of the same power.

Quote:
I wonder if it isn't a chicken and egg problem. Did using the power send Yuki for a loop, and make her do all those things, or was she slowly going nuts to begin with and that drove her to use it?
The novels indicate that it was Yuki's inability to deal with the increasing amount of "Junk Data", i.e. her developing human emotions that the IDE could not understand, that caused her to create a world where she could have Kyon. But, because of her faith in and her feelings for Kyon, she gave him the ability to restore the original Time Line. I think that it would be very interesting if she was to declare herself as Haruhi's rival for Kyon's affections. He has already realized that he is as attracted to Yuki as he is to Mikuru.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 13:13   Link #1892
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Perhaps she and Haruhi are like Yin and Yang. Opposite sides of the same power.
Perhaps they are opposite sides of the same person!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 13:39   Link #1893
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Since prior to this none of the interfaces had ever tried to acquire the power, I'm inclined to believe it was due to Yuki going nuts prior to getting it.
Quote:
Or they wanted a try before you buy. If they genuinely don't know what it is, it might be a good ideal to keep it in somebody else's body rather than hook it up directly to what are essentially one of the gods of the universe.
If it was anything like that it would have been done long before Kyon came into the picture.

Quote:
Read KaiSOS'es post.
Quote:
I think that it is very possible that Sasaki does have powers similar to Haruhi, but because of her personality and outlook she has never used them. Perhaps she and Haruhi are like Yin and Yang. Opposite sides of the same power.
If that was the case I doubt the Anti SOS would be organizing operation "Get Kyon to help us depower Haruhi and give it Sasaki".
Quote:
The novels indicate that it was Yuki's inability to deal with the increasing amount of "Junk Data", i.e. her developing human emotions that the IDE could not understand, that caused her to create a world where she could have Kyon. But, because of her faith in and her feelings for Kyon, she gave him the ability to restore the original Time Line. I think that it would be very interesting if she was to declare herself as Haruhi's rival for Kyon's affections. He has already realized that he is as attracted to Yuki as he is to Mikuru.
That would count as bad end.
Old 2009-04-30, 13:43   Link #1894
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Of course, despite how bad they look, Fujiwara's goals at the least seem a hell of a lot more noble than the goals of the actual SOS Brigade.
Does that include kidnapping Mikuru on the street?

Granted, Haruhi technically kidnapped Mikuru too, but at least Mikuru had agreed to stay because of her mission.

SOS dan certainly has a noble goal; a bunch of friends having fun, isn't that good enough? In case you forgot, that's what a school-club is suppose to be.

If Fujiwara wants to fight his fate, he can do it on his own and not get others involved. As it is, he is just complaining about what he has to do regardless. It's like an assassin complaining about not liking to kill people, but kills you anyway.
Old 2009-04-30, 14:27   Link #1895
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's kind of hard to hold that against them when you take yourself outside the POV that Mikuru is cute/charming and consider the nature of the organization she represents. Do you really think the time travelers have the luxury of maintaining their future by committing nothing but acts as innocent as insuring that two people will get married?

What do you think the Time Travelers do when they have to ensure that someone needs to die a horrible painful death?
Quote:
SOS dan certainly has a noble goal; a bunch of friends having fun, isn't that good enough? In case you forgot, that's what a school-club is suppose to be.
That's viewing it simplistically. The SOS Dan exists to keep Haruhi happy. The three "Haruhi" factions do this for entirely pragmatic reasons, it coincides with their aims.

Espers/Organization:Keep humanity safe
IDE:Study Haruhi
Time Travelers:Preserve history

We get quite a few hints throughout the series that the actual organizations/groups are far more insidious than their representatives in the club would suggest.
Quote:
If Fujiwara wants to fight his fate, he can do it on his own and not get others involved. As it is, he is just complaining about what he has to do regardless. It's like an assassin complaining about not liking to kill people, but kills you anyway.
Again, our narrator does not have a good overall view of the situation and has personal bias. It's very possible that Fujiwara's goals may be far more noble than his personality or methods might suggest.
Old 2009-04-30, 17:46   Link #1896
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
You do realize that it was Tachibana's group that was behind that one, don't you?

Fujiwara was actually quite irritated about having to be involved in the whole thing. Mostly, because, history stated that they had to do it. And his faction's goal, if you'll remember, is to make it so that they don't have to do the stuff history says they did. The whole point of his group going to the past is to use the Haruhi-powers to make it so they don't have to do things like kidnap Mikuru.

Unless the whole thing about there being two factions of time travelers is just Mikuru's group screwing with us.

Quote:
On the scale of nobility, I think "Making it so we don't have to live our lives as mere puppets of history" is a good deal more noble than "friends having fun."
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 17:51   Link #1897
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
On the scale of nobility, I think "Making it so we don't have to live our lives as mere puppets of history" is a good deal more noble than "friends having fun."
Quoted for truth.
Old 2009-04-30, 21:55   Link #1898
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Reading all of the above, I just thought of something. How many time paradoxes have been created in the Haruhiverse?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 21:57   Link #1899
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
None we know of, according to consensus... just three or four stable time loops.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 22:17   Link #1900
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Only thing resembling a true paradox (that Kyon hasn't fixed) is the timequake that cut off the past three/four years ago.

And we know the time travelers have been into the past before because of the artifact now in the care of the Tsuruya family. (I doubt there are Precursors in Haruhi.)

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga