Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-08, 10:29   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
I have to agree with Skyfall since I don't see what makes the animations that bad. Sure, they're far from the standards of KyoAni... among others, but during this last season quite a few shows sporting animations far worse than this managed to be rather popular. Don't even get me started on the "long-runners". ^^
Yup - bingo. In fact, the animation in this show is actually considerably better and takes less shortcuts than most of the late-night shows I've seen this season as well (notable exceptions being, of course, notable). I suspect (as I alluded to earlier) that people are just fooled by the simple character designs, or something like that. It's about average for late-night shows (or, considering recent trends, perhaps a little above average).

As for the episode count... there's been no news yet that I can find, but AIC Spirits has a bit of a history of cutting shows into two 1-cour seasons, with a three-month break in between. So, we'll see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me here if the trend continues.
Old 2007-10-08, 10:49   Link #82
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Obviously, simply touching her does nothing to him. Thats a start, right ? :P (Besides - he said he doesn't mind ... his only threat was to never make her cry ^^)

SISCON level - 0.5

Haven't seen this in awhile

Quote:
I was expecting for someone to bring this up For the moment there is nothing to indicate that ... wouldn't expect either, as the two older siblings seem to be there for comic relief mostly, and to provide some for of 'plot devices' that explain about Sucubus and any other supernatural questions that might arise
Time would tell, time would tell...

Not that it would bother me too much anyway, just a thought... Would be interesting though... Not that the situation isn't already
Old 2007-10-08, 12:38   Link #83
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But I'm a bit confused when people say "the animation looks low quality" -- do you mean the animated movement (the literal "animation"), or are you talking about the simple artstyle and overall lack of sophisticated shading/effects? Or do you mean something else?
I'd say the animation of the movements, as well as drawings of the character's faces - but not all the time though. The problem with this first episode is that it was fairly inconsistent in terms of both drawings (character's facial expressions) as well as the actual animation of the movements. Also, the episode wasn't exactly well executed overall (the helicopter scene, the bed scene, the "don't look at my wet body!" scene, for example), mainly due to the sucky BGM, as mentioned by Skyfall.

Particular scenes that I thought was badly drawn/animated:
Spoiler for scenes:

Sure, it isn't some big title animated by a well known animation company like Kyoani or Bones, but for a first episode to have this level of quality and consistency does make me worry.

I must say though, I like the part where Shungo pulls Mayu into a carrying position (in mid air), before he makes a run for it at the corridor. The action scenes in general was well done, to say the least.
Old 2007-10-08, 14:22   Link #84
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Sure, it isn't some big title animated by a well known animation company like Kyoani or Bones, but for a first episode to have this level of quality and consistency does make me worry.

I must say though, I like the part where Shungo pulls Mayu into a carrying position (in mid air), before he makes a run for it at the corridor. The action scenes in general was well done, to say the least.
Last time I checked this was done by AIC, the same people who brought you Girls Bravo (That's why the uniforms look the same) and Ah My Goddess. That's as well known as it gets.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-10-08, 15:07   Link #85
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I'd say the animation of the movements, as well as drawings of the character's faces - but not all the time though. The problem with this first episode is that it was fairly inconsistent in terms of both drawings (character's facial expressions) as well as the actual animation of the movements. [...]
Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Having watched the episode a few times now looking for "bad animation", I see your point in those scenes. They do stick out a bit (which is a bad thing, since it distracts), but not so much as to totally distract (at least for me). I guess my main thought was that this, and worse, is sort of par for the course these days. I wouldn't say, on the whole, that it's particularly bad, though they didn't quite nail a few scenes. All in all, if it stays at around this level for the rest of the run, I think it'll be just fine. The good outweighs the bad.
Old 2007-10-08, 15:32   Link #86
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Only complain was the VA is kinda dull.......

well other than the Nee-san.
Old 2007-10-08, 15:34   Link #87
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

As for me - if i don't notice these 'bad moments' without specifically looking for such, i say the issue is easily overlooked I didn't feel anything wrong while i watched the episode the first time, so it doesn't bother me. It is far from 'bad' anyway. Sure, the overall animation is not the best thing ever, but nothing worth complaining about much, in my opinion. If i were to complain about something, it would be the BGM, which is as big of a failure as mood-setter as it can possibly get
Old 2007-10-08, 16:03   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
As for me - if i don't notice these 'bad moments' without specifically looking for such, i say the issue is easily overlooked
Totally agreed, but what's curious is how people notice different things (which is why I asked for clarification in the first place). For example, one of the biggest things I notice (in general) is when the details in the eyes change. Or when the "tempo" of the framerate changes. Or when a movement doesn't happen at the right speed. Or when the encode is stuttery due to bad decimation. Those are the sorts of things that always stick out for me, but I didn't have a huge problem with any of those for this show (hence, I didn't see it as being "bad animation" on the first pass). See also your comments about ef -- you noticed displacement and rigidity issues that caused the movements to not look lifelike, but I never noticed it until I looked for it -- it literally looked smooth to me (but I did notice the framerate differential between the background and foreground). And then there are the things Eclipze noticed about this show -- the lack of realism/accuracy in the way certain scenes were drawn and animated that make them seem low quality compared to the rest of the show. And what I noticed most about D.C. II, for example? The size and detail of the eyes vary too much from scene to scene.

So while I'm not entirely sure what it means (why do people notice different things?), perhaps it points to the obvious truth that all animation studios employ shortcuts to save time and money. But different people have different tolerances for different shortcuts, so the goal of the animation director should be to try to find the compromise they find most pleasing (or at least, the least dissatisfactory) given their constraints. The proof/results of their efforts are in the reactions of the fans, I guess.

Anyway, side topic/off-topic, but it's just something I've been noticing over the last week with the various new season starts. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic!
Old 2007-10-08, 16:49   Link #89
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

To tell the truth I also noticed the bad moments. Can't call the animation bad, but can't call it good either. Just normal I think?

On to the series I really like how the girls try to abuse Nino-kun. The main char is really the type of guy I like to have as a main character. I have to say I kinda dislike the going against the law of nature thing(fighting against bears/sister fighting a war?/jumping out of the window and getting attacked) since it didn't have a point. Some might call it funny, but I didn't it only distracted me to be honest. I liked the succubus part though, but that on the other hand had a point. I'm definitely watching the next episode.
Old 2007-10-08, 19:44   Link #90
Seiryuu

If I caught this right, the girls said Ninomiya can't do anything to girls? And because he can't respond to their advances, they're willing to do almost ANYTHING to tease him? Though these girls seem to really want their techniques to work(maybe even the exhibitionistic ones), I can't help but wonder why can't he do anything? Is this a matter of timidity or insecurity, some sort of threat from his sister, or is he really noble enough to protest sexual advances toward someone that you haven't committed to? I'm hoping it's the last one. It's rare to see a character that actually believes these things should be saved until one has truly committed to one person.
Old 2007-10-08, 20:04   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
If I caught this right, the girls said Ninomiya can't do anything to girls? And because he can't respond to their advances, they're willing to do almost ANYTHING to tease him? Though these girls seem to really want their techniques to work(maybe even the exhibitionistic ones), I can't help but wonder why can't he do anything? Is this a matter of timidity or insecurity, some sort of threat from his sister, or is he really noble enough to protest sexual advances toward someone that you haven't committed to? I'm hoping it's the last one. It's rare to see a character that actually believes these things should be saved until one has truly committed to one person.
I don't think it's that he can't do anything to girls, it's just that he has a higher than normal resistance to their feminine "charms", and has a high sense of morality/ethics (which he comments about later in the episode). I think part of that probably has to do with all the military+ level training he was put through by his sister, but another part probably has to do with the relationship he had with Mayu as a child (I don't think a single person would doubt that the flashbacks refer to them). Also notice his reaction to Mayu's comment that she wants to spend her whole life with her true love -- his blush and subsequent pledge to help her make her wish come true are probably because he has the same wish himself. In short, I think it's part that he's "noble", and part that no other girls were "woman enough" for him -- Mayu's out-of-control feminine charms, and traditional values (in spite of her circumstances), bring her up to his level. A match made in heaven!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2007-10-08 at 20:15. Reason: Added more thoughts
Old 2007-10-08, 20:12   Link #92
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think it's that he can't do anything to girls, it's just that he has a higher than normal resistance to their feminine "charms", and has a high sense of morality/ethics (which he comments about later in the episode). I think part of that probably has to do with all the military+ level training he was put through by his sister, but another part probably has to do with the relationship he had with Mayu as a child (I don't think a single person would doubt that the flashbacks refer to them). In short, I think it's part that he's "noble", and part that no other girls were "woman enough" for him -- Mayu's out-of-control feminine charms bring her up to his level.
Agree. And ther part he comments about it, it's the last part with them and bed. And him saying people who not commited and sharing a bed is wrong. But we all know they will end together (hopefully) so it's all good. That is a testament to who he is and the other girls like teasing him.

And those girls looked very surprised and intrigued when he carried Mayu out the school.
Old 2007-10-08, 21:26   Link #93
vas_a_morir

I wonder what that blue-haired girl's deal is. She seemed very familiar with Ninomiya. and I anticipate that those schoolgirls will most likely be mild protagonists.
Old 2007-10-08, 21:41   Link #94
ZODDGUTS

Gotta say I really liked the first episode didn't find any character annoying especially the main male character who isn't a pussy, look like a pussy nor sound like one thank god too many of weak willed main characters in anime romance these days.

I had no problems with the animation I thought it was pretty good not great but good far from average. I do agree about the music hopefully I'll improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Last time I checked this was done by AIC, the same people who brought you Girls Bravo (That's why the uniforms look the same) and Ah My Goddess. That's as well known as it gets.
AIC Spirits actually I guess their a sister animation company of AIC. They've done Girls Bravo, Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho, Burn-Up Scramble, Tokko and Sasami: Magical Girl Club. They've been a pretty solid studio only thought their work on Tokko looked average animation wise but other then that they've been pretty good.
Old 2007-10-08, 22:06   Link #95
Cyz
"Show it to me"

After watching the subs, I'm definitely sure that I'll follow this one all the way to the end. I'm always a sucker for fantasy/romance thing. Plus, it has fanservices
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-10-08, 23:16   Link #96
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Oh and by the way, about the music that people have been complaining about, rather than saying it's outright "awful", I thought it was pretty good overall, but there were a few oddballs in the mix. In particular, the instrumentation during the flashback is kind of questionable -- what was the sound director going for there? I liked the main theme and its variations (the variation during the "talk" was particularly nice), and the "Shungo in action" pieces were pretty fun. The military-themed stuff was nothing to write home about, but wasn't so bad either. All in all, like the animation, I guess I'd say they didn't nail every scene, but it was okay overall. Some of it may be the composer, but the director/sound director probably share in the blame, since what songs get used where (and what they're looking for in that scene) is ultimately their call. Just another opinion, of course...
Old 2007-10-08, 23:34   Link #97
Seiryuu

One thing I thought I'd note. I know some people have talked about this being a fanservice series, too much service and not enough plot. I'll admit I myself thought of Girls Bravo. However, as far as I can tell, there was only one flash of pantsu this ep, no exposed nudity, and just a little bounce. The rest of it was just innuendo. This certainly does not compare to many of the fanservice shows around, or even those shows that manage to make the service seem like an afterthought(like stigma). This is not to say it's not an ecchi story. After all, it's centered around a guy whose ability to resist girls' advances inspires them to put on an endless series of sexual harassment, and a girl whose mere presence makes every man want to...
Old 2007-10-08, 23:58   Link #98
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I agree with you, Seiryuu. And as some would say (myself probably among them), the "tease" is actually more enticing because they aren't flaunting it all over the place. If Girls Bravo's motif was "excess", this show's motif (at least based on the first episode) is sort of "walk the line/restraint". You get things like the awkwardly-dropping towel (which was falling awkwardly for our benefit/detriment). Personally, I like it better this way. It's more fun if they don't show it.
Old 2007-10-09, 01:32   Link #99
jukugo
Haruhiist priest trainee

Send a message via AIM to jukugo
While this certainly is not at the level of a show like Girls Bravo(and most things are not), it is still a very fanservice heavy show. It does not completely overwhelm the rest of the show, but the fanservice is definitely a fairly prominent focus.
Old 2007-10-09, 02:39   Link #100
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

About the background music - it is not like the music itself is bad, just that (at least in my opinion) more often than not it fails to enhance the events taking place on screen. It doesn't help to set the mood, rather almost distracts from it at times It is like they decided to play a random track in the background even before the show was ready. If it happens to fit the visuals at hand - good. If not - too bad That's just my view on it though.

As for the fanservice - it is surprisingly less than i expected, and i can say i am rather pleased with the result. There was like what ... 1 pantsu shot, 1 'wet clothes' moment, and the bathroom scene ... not exactly a lot, and certainly less than expected. In fact, i would say the show is rather reserved about what it shows. (For example, we didn't get a Ninomiya's "point of view" when Maya 'landing' (yes, i admit - i was expecting one ).

Overall this show, unexpectedly, felt like a breeze of fresh air to me. If asked to describe ep1 in one word, i would say "cute". This show felt to me like a cute and fluffy romance rather than anything else. Not what i expected from the premise, but this is a case when i am happy my expectations were not met, and very pleased with what i got.

Tags
aic spirits, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, kadokawa, romance, shounen