AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 17:11   Link #21
dweller of the deep

meh, she could do better. the album has some good tracks, but is well behind her Japanese releases.
dweller of the deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:13   Link #22
Neku
yare yare..

I think she's trying hard to cater to the U.S market, which is good since it's successful.

But it's not my type.
I prefer her Japanese albums; Heart Station being my favourite since all the songs are so addictive to listen to. I'd say the tracks in This Is The One that appeals to me would be Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Apple and Cinnamon.

Come Back To Me has a great start, but I think her voice is a little too rough during the chorus. A good song nevertheless though.
Old 2009-08-23, 16:52   Link #23
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

People don't like it as much because it's not manufactured like the majority of what's out there. If it was mariah or brittany or some other american idol then yeah america would be all over it and play it out. So far, the only people I've known who love this album have a deep understanding and passion for music. Besides if you don't like R&B or don't know what it is, because its not like most people know what makes different genres different, then you wont like this album as much as Fergie's or the like. Personally ULTRA BLUE is my fav, them it's a toss up between Heart Station and This Is The One...
Heturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 16:07   Link #24
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
I think she's trying hard to cater to the U.S market, which is good since it's successful.
If you think Hikki is trying to hard, you obviously haven't heard BoA's english album.....She tried WAY too hard.
Old 2009-08-25, 03:13   Link #25
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heturi View Post
If you think Hikki is trying to hard, you obviously haven't heard BoA's english album.....She tried WAY too hard.
Yup. I haven't. I'm not interested in BoA.

But I'm not saying she's trying too hard. There are some parts of the album where she has sort of retained the style she has in her Japanese albums e.g. Apple, Xmas.

Basically, I had hope her English songs would mesh with her Japanese style, creating something superior than Heart Station. But This Is The One really didn't do it for me. I find her shifting too much to US style instead of having her very own original style e.g. Simple and Clean, Easy Breezy etc

I acknowledge her success though. I believe her album is selling well in the US market. Her hard work paid off, just that I'm not one of those who found it great.
Old 2009-08-25, 12:57   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I haven't listened to her in years. "Sakura Drops" was the last song of hers I really felt was good. Everything since then has been generic fem-fronted R&B churned out by dozens of label-manufactured "artists" every year.
Old 2009-08-25, 14:03   Link #27
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

funny you mention simple and clean and easy breazy because those tracks a Utada songs not Utada Hikaru songs. She changes her style and artist title to reflect the kind of music thats on that particular album. Yes Utada songs are american songs because she IS American. and Yes, Utada Hikaru's songs are Japanese, after all she is Japanese as well...
Old 2009-08-25, 14:06   Link #28
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I haven't listened to her in years. "Sakura Drops" was the last song of hers I really felt was good. Everything since then has been generic fem-fronted R&B churned out by dozens of label-manufactured "artists" every year.
I can tell you know what manufactured is....do your research baka!(not intended to insult)
Old 2009-08-26, 01:44   Link #29
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heturi View Post
funny you mention simple and clean and easy breazy because those tracks a Utada songs not Utada Hikaru songs. She changes her style and artist title to reflect the kind of music thats on that particular album. Yes Utada songs are american songs because she IS American. and Yes, Utada Hikaru's songs are Japanese, after all she is Japanese as well...
Either way.. I think Utada and Utada Hikaru are the same person.

Just that as opposed to the fact that all Heart Station songs appealed to me, not all in This Is The One did.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:11   Link #30
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

I agree! Utada and Utada Hikaru ARE the same person. The only difference between the two is how she approaches the music... Utada creates American music and Utada Hikaru creates Japanese music, and simply it appears as though you like Japanese music better. Personally I love Japanese music more so than American music. Thanks for the chit chat and if you have any questions please ask! Mata Kondo!
Old 2009-08-26, 15:51   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Different marketing angles. Even in Japan, she's just a pop vocalist anyway. It's not like she writes, composes and/or arranges her own tracks. So it's kind of silly to say her Japanese music is better than her American music since it's hardly her music, anyway.

What's really a shame is she has a really pretty voice for ballads, but doesn't sing them often.

And by manufactured, I mean people who only perform... and are not involved in the production of the music with their names on them. The way I see it, you're not a musician unless you're involved in the production of your music--you're just a vocalist or an instrumentalist.

Disclaimer: I should mention that there's no scorn involved here. I am not that much of an elitist, but you don't call an author an author if they don't write their own books. ^^;
Old 2009-08-26, 16:42   Link #32
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Different marketing angles. Even in Japan, she's just a pop vocalist anyway. It's not like she writes, composes and/or arranges her own tracks. So it's kind of silly to say her Japanese music is better than her American music since it's hardly her music, anyway.

What's really a shame is she has a really pretty voice for ballads, but doesn't sing them often.

And by manufactured, I mean people who only perform... and are not involved in the production of the music with their names on them. The way I see it, you're not a musician unless you're involved in the production of your music--you're just a vocalist or an instrumentalist.

Disclaimer: I should mention that there's no scorn involved here. I am not that much of an elitist, but you don't call an author an author if they don't write their own books. ^^;
Since when? I thought she was also a producer, songwriter, arranger, and composer. I was pretty sure that she wrote some of her own songs at least...

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 16:45   Link #33
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Hm. I retract my earlier statement. It looks like she did write all or most of this herself.

... then why, I wonder, doesn't she play to her voice's strengths? =/
Old 2009-08-27, 03:29   Link #34
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

I just wanted to say please do your research before you state anything. And yes, Hikki is an artist one of the best out there.
Old 2009-08-28, 00:06   Link #35
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heturi
Utada and Utada Hikaru ARE the same person. The only difference between the two is how she approaches the music... Utada creates American music and Utada Hikaru creates Japanese music, and simply it appears as though you like Japanese music better.
I like both American and Japanese music.
I just think that whether it is Utada or Utada Hikaru, she should have her very own style. Not American or Japanese style. Her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
... then why, I wonder, doesn't she play to her voice's strengths? =/
She does.
Her voice is unique in that, once she sings, you know it's her. No one else can have a voice like that. Or at least I think so
Old 2009-08-28, 12:23   Link #36
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

You don't understand what I'm saying it seems....... Hikki has her own style thats why manufactered goons don't like her as much, like the syn witch chick....(not an insult). If more people would do their research before making themselves sound like an ass. We'd all have a better time. How many artist do you all follow that write and produce their own music?
Old 2009-08-28, 13:52   Link #37
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
Yup. I haven't. I'm not interested in BoA.

But I'm not saying she's trying too hard. There are some parts of the album where she has sort of retained the style she has in her Japanese albums e.g. Apple, Xmas.

Basically, I had hope her English songs would mesh with her Japanese style, creating something superior than Heart Station. But This Is The One really didn't do it for me. I find her shifting too much to US style instead of having her very own original style e.g. Simple and Clean, Easy Breezy etc

I acknowledge her success though. I believe her album is selling well in the US market. Her hard work paid off, just that I'm not one of those who found it great.
She was trying to break away from her Japanese style, actually. Although I like her Japanese works better too, I have to acknowledge that Utada and Utada Hikaru are two different artists (note: I didn't say people) that cater to different audiences.

Quote:
Hm. I retract my earlier statement. It looks like she did write all or most of this herself.
She writes, produces etc. everything herself; the only time she hasn't is for the string arrangements for her songs, some stuff with Timbaland in Exodus and the background music for "This Is the One".

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 18:12   Link #38
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

Domoarigatogozaimasu!!! Finally someone who understands...
Old 2009-08-29, 11:24   Link #39
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru
She was trying to break away from her Japanese style, actually. Although I like her Japanese works better too, I have to acknowledge that Utada and Utada Hikaru are two different artists (note: I didn't say people) that cater to different audiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heturi
Domoarigatogozaimasu!!! Finally someone who understands...
I got your point.
Just that my opinion was that I would have preferred if Utada Hikaru had her very own style in singing both Japanese and English songs instead of catering to American style when she's releasing in America, and Japanese style when it's released in Japan.
Old 2009-08-29, 14:25   Link #40
Heturi
HoshiiOtaku

Thats just buisness.. One has to cater to different people to sell records. In general, Americans don't want to hear Japanese music. They want crappy manufactured music. Turn on the radio and the first thing you hear is what people are bying in America.