Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 11:16   Link #161
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftr View Post
Correct I have not seen it. Incorrect in that I don't know what I'm talking about. As another member of the original fansub team has purchased it and watched it, we know what we're talking about. If you were to watch the start of episode 1 R1 DVD to the start of episode 1 R2 DVD (yes both 22min long as they're R2 TV eps 1&2) they DO NOT match. Media Blasters has hacked the video apart and pieced it back together. They also butchered the translations (thou it was difficult to translate lots of bits to english and make it mesh well). If you don't believe me please request that I give you some comparisons as I'm purchasing it (mostly for the box) now.

Please understand when I say, this is an unacceptable action on their part.
Clark Cheng from Bang Zoom! says otherwise:

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthre...40#post1281040

I say that's better confirmation.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 19:54   Link #162
driftr

*shrugs* you may think just because I haven't seen it that means something but to me trusting a friend you know means something too. So if they're wrong they're wrong but until I get the DVDs in the mail and confirm it I stand by what I'm told.
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 00:33   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose we'll see... but I've gone through the first episode twice now and compared it to the first two fansubs and frankly don't spot anything I'd characterize as "hacked the video apart and pieced it back together. They also butchered the translations"
Some minor edits, cleanup, and the sorts of things one normally sees fixed up from a "broadcast". The translation..... well, two perfectly good translators can get into the most marvelous religious arguments. I find problems with both the fansubs and the DVDs

If there's a complaint - its that the DVD standards for subtitle font/placement are an injustice to the series because they cover up and distract from the pretty. The dub isn't terrible (and I cringe at dubs people call brilliant).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-13 at 02:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 03:09   Link #164
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Three OVAs are out 2007-11-22:(Question for mods: if the OVAs aren't licensed, should we start another thread for them in the Unaired forum?)
I would like to bring this up again, the above was asked 5 months ago in this thread.

The cdJapan entries all state that the DVDs are "Compilation DVD release from anime series Tweeny Witches". Are they really compilations or is it new material? If it is a compilation then I'm not at all sure if we should consider them as being licensed or not.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 19:44   Link #165
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I would like to bring this up again, the above was asked 5 months ago in this thread.

The cdJapan entries all state that the DVDs are "Compilation DVD release from anime series Tweeny Witches". Are they really compilations or is it new material? If it is a compilation then I'm not at all sure if we should consider them as being licensed or not.
Apparently, Media Blasters has the OVA. I checked on their site, and they're listing these as apparently "Adventures". Given the title of the OVA is listed as "The Adventures", I think it's quite clear as to what Media Blasters has. Just for proof, check the Episode Summaries section, and below it, should come up with each episodes as "Destinies 1-14, 15-28,29-40 Adventures 1 - 12".

And just incase you can't get to the site...

Spoiler:
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 02:34   Link #166
DangerMouse

Excellent, nice to see that we'll be getting all of it.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 09:28   Link #167
driftr

Okay still waiting on the DVD set to arrive (did economy shipping on rightstuf) but looked at a rip of the R1 first ep and it matched up to the R2 DVD. So did twenty screenshots and am waiting for friend to compare to that to the DVDs she bought.
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 16:03   Link #168
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The third volume of the adventures of Arisu arrived today. Despite the somewhat low budget DVD jackets, the disk itself reminds me of how interesting the art and soundscape was for this series. They continue with the format of concatenating two 15 minute episodes together (which is fine with me).
Old 2008-10-14, 18:12   Link #169
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Apparently, Media Blasters has the OVA. I checked on their site, and they're listing these as apparently "Adventures".
They have it, but it looks like they've decided not to release it (unless it's being bundled in the box set?).
Old 2008-10-14, 21:45   Link #170
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well crap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDPacific
We would like to advise you that Tweeny Witches: The Adventures (AWRK839DVD) currently in your order ID O812722 (the price $15.63) has now been officially cancelled or discontinued.
Off to see what happened and if anyone else is picking up the remainder.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:40   Link #171
spudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well crap....

Off to see what happened and if anyone else is picking up the remainder.
It's only been delayed, not cancelled. The new release date is 6th January. Curiously though, the complete box set is still due out in December.
spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 04:20   Link #172
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, just re-ordered my pre-order of the last disk from rightstuf.com. thanks for the update.
Old 2010-05-04, 08:28   Link #173
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

RightStuf has the "True Book of Spells" version of Tweeny Witches on special sale for $50, marked down from $100. (DVD Pacific wants $64.) This eight-disc collection contains all the TV and OVA episodes, plus some interviews and other extra material. The forthcoming "Core Collection" boxset will contain just the TV episodes and sell for $30 when it becomes available later this spring or summer (opinions differ among the sellers as to when that will be). RightStuf also sells the OVA boxset for the ridiculous price of $10, a great deal if you have just the TV series.

If you're short on funds, you can buy the OVA now and wait to buy the original series in the Core Collection later for $40 total. As for me, I think the "True Book" version is a steal at $50, so I'm buying that today. It's currently on back order, but marked as "More Arriving Soon."

Media Blasters has some of the weirdest repackaging arrangements I've seen. Moribito has come out in so many formats, even a Wal-Mart edition! I'm glad to see Witches finally being sold at a price that makes it affordable for family viewing. Too bad most North American families will never hear of it.

These practices turn the simple act of buying a show into an exercise in gamesmanship. I understand the economic rationale for price discrimination, but in my case I generally just delay my purchases until the licensors offer me their best deals.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 15:09   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks for the heads-up on the OVA box set. (already have the original series). And yeah.... I'm a the point where I have no kids around to loan this to. Hmmm, maybe one of the Japanese immersion elementary schools might like it for an eventual home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
RightStuf has the "True Book of Spells" version of Tweeny Witches on special sale for $50, marked down from $100. (DVD Pacific wants $64.) This eight-disc collection contains all the TV and OVA episodes, plus some interviews and other extra material. The forthcoming "Core Collection" boxset will contain just the TV episodes and sell for $30 when it becomes available later this spring or summer (opinions differ among the sellers as to when that will be). RightStuf also sells the OVA boxset for the ridiculous price of $10, a great deal if you have just the TV series.

If you're short on funds, you can buy the OVA now and wait to buy the original series in the Core Collection later for $40 total. As for me, I think the "True Book" version is a steal at $50, so I'm buying that today. It's currently on back order, but marked as "More Arriving Soon."

Media Blasters has some of the weirdest repackaging arrangements I've seen. Moribito has come out in so many formats, even a Wal-Mart edition! I'm glad to see Witches finally being sold at a price that makes it affordable for family viewing. Too bad most North American families will never hear of it.

These practices turn the simple act of buying a show into an exercise in gamesmanship. I understand the economic rationale for price discrimination, but in my case I generally just delay my purchases until the licensors offer me their best deals.
Old 2011-12-30, 01:17   Link #175
tyciol
*Artist

This series sounds interesting. The tracker that links to this forum http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/394.html mentions the 40 eps 9min each being licensed, does this apply to the 6 or 12 OVAs 23 minutes each?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 07:49   Link #176
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
This series sounds interesting. The tracker that links to this forum http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/394.html mentions the 40 eps 9min each being licensed, does this apply to the 6 or 12 OVAs 23 minutes each?
Yes, they are. They were released separately but are now available in a single compilation. The "20 episode" figure for the original series is composed of the original forty episodes with the repeated OP and ED material removed from the second.

This is a much more complex and darker show than its R1 name would indicate. Worth watching.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote