I just watched the Oyasumi releases and I'm loving this series XD
it's so funny... best watched on a bad day

kami-sama desu ~nya '_'
Kamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 16:08   Link #3
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

This is, without a doubt, my favouite comedy series of all time. The characters (particularly Becky, she's so adorable), the silly stories and situations they get into, the interactions with the other three classes, Kami-sama (nya), everything, it all just works flawlessy to create a heart-stopping series of godlike proportions.

Oh, and Himeko has got to be the best airhead character ever (even better than Osaka, and that's saying a lot).

lol, and the aliens are the best

Last edited by Radiosity; 2005-12-18 at 17:06.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 16:13   Link #4
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
This is, without a doubt, my favouite comedy series of all time. The characters (particularly Becky, she's so adorable), the silly stories and situations they get into, the interactions with the other three classes, Kami-sama (nya), everything, it all just works flawlessy to create a heart-stopping series of godlike proportions.

Oh, and Himeko has got to be the best airhead character ever (even better than Osaka, and that's saying a lot).

lol, and the aliens are the best
I like this series mainly because it's a mix of two of my very favorite comedy animes, Excel Saga and Azumanga Daioh. It is like Mixing Azumanga with the randomness and parodies with ES, but they mixed it VERY well, and this is indeed one of the best comedies all the time. Might not beat Azumanga, but very close.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 16:15   Link #5
Ilpalazzo-sama

Also, too bad that Oyasumi is a bit slower than GG (though Oyasumi is clearly better than GG IMO), but at least it gives me a reason to re-watch the episodes (first the GG then the Oyasumi version). I found the rewatch factor very high in this series...
Old 2005-12-18, 16:16   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Nah, definitely beats Azumanga in a direct comparison for me. The less-than-real aspects of PPD win it (the aliens particularly, some of the stuff they get up to had me rolling around the floor, I was laughing so much). Azumanga is a very close second however

edit: Shoul've edited your post rather than post a new one there And yes, Oyasumi are better, but they also have my respect for starting with ep1, unlike GG who picked up after ep12 I think it was. Makes me wonder what the point of subbing the series is, other than trying to take the fanbase away from Oyasumi. If it was truly for the enjoyment of subbing the series, you'd think they would start with ep1. So I'm sticking with Oyasumi
Old 2005-12-18, 16:23   Link #7
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Nah, definitely beats Azumanga in a direct comparison for me. The less-than-real aspects of PPD win it (the aliens particularly, some of the stuff they get up to had me rolling around the floor, I was laughing so much). Azumanga is a very close second however

edit: Shoul've edited your post rather than post a new one there And yes, Oyasumi are better, but they also have my respect for starting with ep1, unlike GG who picked up after ep12 I think it was. Makes me wonder what the point of subbing the series is, other than trying to take the fanbase away from Oyasumi. If it was truly for the enjoyment of subbing the series, you'd think they would start with ep1. So I'm sticking with Oyasumi
GG picked it up at EP10. There is one good thing in GG, their PDFs, they are very good in reference. But in subbing, Oyasumi definatelly beats them.

P.S: Yes, the aliens rocks! I've heard that the voice of the alien captain is the same as the voice of Captain Picard in the japanese dub of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Old 2005-12-18, 16:54   Link #8
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
I've heard that the voice of the alien captain is the same as the voice of Captain Picard in the japanese dub of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
No way! Oh man, that I've gotta see! Me goes searching for Japanese dubbed TSN episodes...

Oh, and the references throughuot the episodes are spot on as far as I'm concerned, so I'm really not that worried about an additional pdf file for them. To each his own I guess though
Old 2005-12-18, 17:00   Link #9
Ilpalazzo-sama

Btw, can anyone confirm that the voice of the alien captain *is* Picard's voice from the Japanese TNG? I remember seeing this somewhere, but don't remember where...
Old 2005-12-18, 23:28   Link #10
ensyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
Btw, can anyone confirm that the voice of the alien captain *is* Picard's voice from the Japanese TNG? I remember seeing this somewhere, but don't remember where...
yeah,You're right

Mugihito(the alien captain)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ple.php?id=445
''Capt. Jean Luc Picard in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (Japanese)''
ensyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 00:21   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh.. now *that* is funny. I love parody where all the right people get involved.

Omega Becky (Hazuki) ..... love the voice acting, love the Freakzoid/Animaniac insane-absurd and the zillions and zillions of cultural references ....
All we're lacking is an actual "Running Gag" runthrough cameo by Y, W, & D....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 01:07   Link #12
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
The series is the comedy anime "of the year"! ~Maho. And yes, it's like Azumanga Daioh Meets Excel Saga. Such similarities between the series include:

Ichijou = Osaka
Himeko = Tomo
Rokugou = Chiyo-Chan
Rei = Koyomi (?)
Ms. Igarashi = Ms. Yukari
Mesousa = Menchi
Aliens = Puchuu

BTW, wasn't this series serialized by the same company that did He is my Master?
xxxplizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 01:40   Link #13
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I'm not agreeing with some of those comparisons there xxxplizit...

Ichijou isn't an airhead, and she most certainly retains full use of her brain at all times (albeit in a twisted by 180º fasion compaired to the rest of humanity).
Himeko... I'd be more inclined to say a cross between Tomo (energetic and generally crazy) and Osaka (being an airhead and not understanding simple things).
Rokugou = Chiyo? Sakaki 'possibly', if you really wanted to make a comparison, but otherwise I don't really see any similarities with any of the Azu crew as such.
Rei I agree with totally, she's just like Yomi
Igarashi, also agree with.
I'll add Becky here, because she would work well as Chiyo. Both in the same age range (Chiyo: 10, Becky: 11), both genius material, both in a higher school than they would otherwise be (albeit in different roles).

edit: and yes, it was the same company that did HIMM
Old 2005-12-19, 01:41   Link #14
NeoSam

Its based on a manga thats serialized in the shounen manga magazine G-Fantasy.

This is a shounen manga/anime.

Genre: Shounen, Comedy.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 02:44   Link #15
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
I did say 'similarities', not 'exact', but anyways:

Ichijou has that random factor that Osaka has. It doesn't necessarily mean she has the randomness by being an airhead. She portrays that randomness differently by logic-defying or messed up ways.

Yes, Himeko is a somewhat cross between Tomo and Osaka. Himeko being an energetic airhead...in a hilarious way.

As for the Chiyo-chan comparison, it has relevance with Rokugou and Becky. Chiyo-chan has the omega-kawaiiness as Rokugou physically and by her kindness...and yes Chiyo has the genius factor as becky except Chiyo doesn't get b!tchy at times nor use the middle finger.

Anyways, on a side note, is it me or is Saotome-Sensei a complete opposite of Kimura-sensei?

= = =

I was wondering why the artwork looks a tad similar to HiMM when watching Pani Poni. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 2005-12-19, 02:58   Link #16
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplicit
Ichijou has that random factor that Osaka has.
Actually, yes, I'd agree on that point, they're both totally random to extremes

Quote:
Chiyo-chan has the omega-kawaiiness as Rokugou physically and by her kindness
Hmm, guess we see Rokugou differently She has a sexy kawaii-ness for me, therefore doesn't make a good comparison to Chiyo, who is completely moe.

Quote:
Anyways, on a side note, is it me or is Saotome-Sensei a complete opposite of Kimura-sensei?
Oh god yes. Kimura sensei is one of the most freakish characters ever (meaning that in a good way of course )

Quote:
I was wondering why the artwork looks a tad similar to HiMM when watching Pani Poni. Just wanted to clarify.
There's a note to this effect in one of the episodes (Oyasumi subs, one of the later eps, can't remember which one offhand).
Old 2005-12-19, 04:29   Link #17
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

It's just a must for any anime viewer! ~maho!
Old 2005-12-19, 05:04   Link #18
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Quote:
There's a note to this effect in one of the episodes (Oyasumi subs, one of the later eps, can't remember which one offhand).
That would be Episode 7.
Old 2005-12-19, 05:08   Link #19
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Wow, that early? No wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking in 10-14
Old 2005-12-19, 06:49   Link #20
tabun
rawr!

I like the humor very much although, I started watching it with 8 episodes in a row, and it got kind of boring... this is obviously meant to be watched one piece after another. It's just too weird, don't you think?

The running gags seem to stick very quickly maho anyone? Or the cat... I laughed my a$$ off ("it's lukewarm"... lol)

On a sidenote, I think the alien captain's asstant's voice is the one of Tuchimi Rin (Shuffle!). Not that it matters, it's just the first voice I recognise in another series (other than that of Jiraya)

Tags
comedy, shounen