AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-05-10, 17:19   Link #21
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It was okay up until the final battle...
Well, if we go by the trailers only (didn't find/read any reviews) I'd say there's a very good chance

Spoiler for mango:
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 13:50   Link #22
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

So how was this movie? Did anyone see it?
Old 2010-06-02, 15:24   Link #23
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Can't wait to watch it, got big hype for this one but.. Not exactly available yet :sadface:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 15:46   Link #24
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Can't wait to watch it, got big hype for this one but.. Not exactly available yet :sadface:
I was hoping that someone who saw it in the theater in Japan or at one of the festivals would chime in.
Old 2010-06-03, 12:49   Link #25
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Alice is such a cute girl, it is unbelievable.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2010-06-03 at 13:40.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 09:13   Link #26
brocko

Saw this earlier today as part of the Reel Anime 2010 film festival throughout AUS and NZ. Pretty much starts off like your usual survival story but eventually throws it's own little twists in there as it progresses. Good decent film, although i might need a second viewing in order to absolutely understand everything that went on.

Anyone else seen this yet? Definitely a couple of things that i want to get clarified lol.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 10:13   Link #27
Kakkou
Tch.

I'll just copy my thoughts from MAL:

Hmm, on it's own it was a decent film but I was rather disappointed. The opening scene ended up being much longer than it should have, with all that exposition which imo could have been cut down, not to mention some of the points get brought up again later on during more exposition.

Above all, my biggest letdown came from the blasted abuse of 3D. I was actually ready to give the 3D some credit for making certain scenes/backgrounds look really nice (like the sleep capsule chamber) but then they went and used 3D ON THE CHARACTERS during action scenes. At least they used less of it towards the end, but damn was that distracting and horrible. Sunrise, if you can spend your time animating 2D mechas for your tv series I'm sure you could do the same for some blasted humans with a movie budget instead of switching between 2 and 3. The 3D monsters themselves didn't look too good and there was a severe lack of variety as well.

Tim and Katherine got handled... somewhat decently. I still can't get used to red-head Tim though. Blonde, goddamit.

Overall just a decent movie even if I were to disregard the manga. The manga itself won't be winning an awards in my books this movie is even less likely to. The music was kinda nice, at least.

Oh and Alice got shafted. She got shafted real hard.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 20:01   Link #28
brocko

I havn't read the manga, but i assume the film follows somewhat pretty closely with a few artistic liberations here and there. So in the end,
Spoiler:

When you say 3D, do you actually mean 'popping out of the screen 3D', like Avatar or just your usual CG? If it was the latter then i don't think it was jarring at all, in fact i hardly noticed that they animated some of the stuff in CG, although that's pretty much a given now a days that you think about it.

Despite the questions i had, i think it was an overall pretty solid film. I didn't have much expectations going into it in the first place, but the film definitely surpassed it there

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 21:28   Link #29
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I havn't read the manga, but i assume the film follows somewhat pretty closely with a few artistic liberations here and there. So in the end,
It doesn't follow the manga very much actually lol. The plot twist is still the same, but to save time the movie completely cut out the antagonist from the manga and had that role given to the A.L.I.C.E. system, otherwise they'd have to do another movie or it would have been impossible to cover it. Most of my liking towards Tim, Katherine and Alice came from the parts that got changed/removed lol.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for movie and some manga:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for movie:

Quote:
When you say 3D, do you actually mean 'popping out of the screen 3D', like Avatar or just your usual CG? If it was the latter then i don't think it was jarring at all, in fact i hardly noticed that they animated some of the stuff in CG, although that's pretty much a given now a days that you think about it.

Despite the questions i had, i think it was an overall pretty solid film. I didn't have much expectations going into it in the first place, but the film definitely surpassed it there
Gah, again I mixed 3D with CG. I meant CG. It was jarring to me because a lot of time I could tell whenever there is some CG used. The movement of the characters and their rendering looks different whenever the CG comes in and I found it annoying precisely because they kept switching between that and actual cel animation for the characters during action scenes.

But yeah, it was okay as a film. I just had more bones to pick with it than I would have since I knew the source, which is a common occurence with adaptations =). Though I heard one of the people in the cinema say "What did they have to be smoking to come up with that?" at the end .

I hope that helped, since I'm a bit lost myself, especially about the plot twist .
Old 2010-09-04, 18:01   Link #30
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Spoiler for movie:

:.
Then what happened to Kasumi was different from the manga. Oh well, it could be more interesting now that the sister interactions are slightly different.
Old 2010-10-28, 05:58   Link #31
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

So the home video in out finally, just waiting eng fansub. I haven't read the mang yet, i will watch the movie first then if i like it i will buy the 6 manga volumes for my collection.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 09:45   Link #32
Horse

It was decent. It stuck to the main (Kasumi) storyline pretty closely and changed/simplified/ditched everything else. Good music and decent animation, though plagued by cellshaded models at pretty random moments.

Spoiler for disappointments:

So yea, while it wasn't perfect (sorta wish it was a 6 volume OVA instead) I didn't feel like I wasted time on watching it.

Edit:
Quote:
Tim and Katherine got handled... somewhat decently. I still can't get used to red-head Tim though. Blonde, goddamit.
AGREED!
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 14:50   Link #33
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So i watched it.
Not bad , not great either but worth watching.
I felt like watching a cliché movie with all the coincidences but it make senses.
Spoiler for Cuz:

Tim was hilarious with his DQ ref

Spoiler for Ending:

Animation was nice.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 20:05   Link #34
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
So i watched it.
Not bad , not great either but worth watching.
I felt like watching a cliché movie with all the coincidences but it make senses.
Spoiler for Cuz:
But that was what happened in the manga. Those survivors were just pawns.

Spoiler:

Other than my beef about Marco, it was an okay film.
Old 2011-01-16, 09:57   Link #35
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Just watched that movie recently.

During the monster fight scene, is it me or those characters looks CGI-ish (IF you watch closely)?
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 10:09   Link #36
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Just watched that movie recently.

During the monster fight scene, is it me or those characters looks CGI-ish (IF you watch closely)?
They were. Almost every action scene in the movie except towards the climax were all done in cg, which the one thing I greatly despised about the film.
Old 2011-01-16, 23:56   Link #37
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
They were. Almost every action scene in the movie except towards the climax were all done in cg, which the one thing I greatly despised about the film.
Really? I was like '*Laughs* Do we enter into an Appleseed CG movie?'

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-01-17 at 23:49.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 10:22   Link #38
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

No idea what was going on, i'll have to watch it again to understand it.

Maybe i should read the manga to better understand it, but seems like everyone is saying that it doesn't follow the manga either.

I think i was understanding it until Marco and Kasumi made it level 0, then i got mindf***ed

Not bad if you understood it or maybe read the manga before, even though i was lost towards the end i did enjoy it
Old 2011-01-18, 15:15   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Shouldn't this thread be moved to current series, or even older series? It's been a while since it came out.

That was an okay movie. It would have been a bit better without the the overuse of CGI. It was very jarring. The plot was a bit... well, ridiculous, but it was still decent enough. I was slightly confused about one thing:

Spoiler for end:
Old 2011-02-28, 13:28   Link #40
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ I think that body was actually the real Kasumi that Shizuku (who was actually the body of thorns) kept with herself.

I just watched it now. Pretty confusing since they were pilling up the exposition none stop but I managed to enjoy it nonetheless. The 3D was definitely weird but I got used to it and I didn't mind it so much. But my question now is what's the fate of the rest of world?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, sci-fi, seinen