AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2012-08-11, 10:27   Link #2021
Draugur

I love the song. Well, I love cats in nearly every kind of context. Sorry to have brought up the "nyan" subject, I knew it would cause uncomfortable memories to some people.

In the Higurashi opening, is it a cat mask Rika is wearing? I always thought so because she is obviously very close to cats in personality and behaviour, and she also makes cat-like noises. But I also read someone's statement who thinks it's a fox mask. So what is right? I think it's hard to tell just from the features of the mask but I think it could really be a fox. But if that's true, this would be the only appearance of a fox in the whole story, wouldn't it? Well, maybe someone might say Rika is as sly as a fox or something like that, but I'm not really sure if there is a line like this anywhere in Higurashi.
Draugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 10:46   Link #2022
Seronei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
I love the song. Well, I love cats in nearly every kind of context. Sorry to have brought up the "nyan" subject, I knew it would cause uncomfortable memories to some people.

In the Higurashi opening, is it a cat mask Rika is wearing? I always thought so because she is obviously very close to cats in personality and behaviour, and she also makes cat-like noises. But I also read someone's statement who thinks it's a fox mask. So what is right? I think it's hard to tell just from the features of the mask but I think it could really be a fox. But if that's true, this would be the only appearance of a fox in the whole story, wouldn't it? Well, maybe someone might say Rika is as sly as a fox or something like that, but I'm not really sure if there is a line like this anywhere in Higurashi.
It's definitely a fox mask. I think the mask is there because it symbolizes that she's hiding the real her. Also the fox is popular in Japanese mythology.
Seronei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 10:53   Link #2023
Draugur

I'm certain you're right about that. So do you think it's a cat or a fox?

To be honest, I wrote a poem about Rika (in German, so I don't know if I should post it here) in which I mention her "cat mask". So I would like to know if this is a mistake because maybe I should rewrite it in that case.
Old 2012-08-11, 10:59   Link #2024
Joly
モエカステル

It's a kitsune/fox mask. There is also a cat mask in real life, but her mask most closely resembles the Japanese kitsune masks. Rika is not only associated with a cat, fox... but if I also recall correctly, her title is the tanuki of the game club.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 11:11   Link #2025
Draugur

Thanks, this is really interesting. Are the other club members also related to animals in a similar way? I can't recall anything about this right now.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:16   Link #2026
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Quote:
Thanks, this is really interesting. Are the other club members also related to animals in a similar way? I can't recall anything about this right now.
No. Satoko is the "Trap Master" and Keiichi is the "Magician of Words". Can't remember Mion and Rena's titles, though.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 11:29   Link #2027
Draugur

I can only remember the confrontation scene in Matsuribayashi, when Mion introduces the members to Okonogi. I think she says something about Rena's "adorable"/"I want to take it home" mode while Mion does not call herself a title because she's the one who's speaking, and (even for Mion) it would be too arrogant to give herself a title of honor. Rena is also related to as the "silent blue flame" while Keiichi is the "bright red flame". That's all I can remember as far as club titles are concerned.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:29   Link #2028
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Well she refered to as the leader and she refers herself as 'an old man' in drama cds due to her humor as well as being the oldest of the bunch.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:32   Link #2029
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisu View Post
Well she refered to as the leader and she refers herself as 'an old man' in drama cds due to her humor as well as being the oldest of the bunch.
She calls herself an "old man" in the visual novels too, which kinda ties in with her "Uncle Mion" nickname.
Old 2012-08-12, 14:51   Link #2030
Draugur

What's Mion's "old man" in Japanese? Does she call herself "Mion-ojisan"? I can't remember right now.

I think I remember now what Rena's title is: "Collector of adorable things".
Old 2012-08-12, 16:05   Link #2031
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Yeah, Mion calls calls herself 'oji-san' or 'Mion-oji-san'.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 18:45   Link #2032
Draugur

By the way, this is Mion's introduction of the club I mentioned before:
Spoiler for Mion's club:
Old 2012-08-15, 08:00   Link #2033
Draugur

I have another question about the end of the dam conflict.
Spoiler for Himatsubushi-hen:
Old 2012-08-15, 10:10   Link #2034
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
I have another question about the end of the dam conflict.
Spoiler for Himatsubushi-hen:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-15, 12:50   Link #2035
maximilianjenus
[E]

Spoiler for dam:
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 12:56   Link #2036
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Spoiler for dam:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-15, 13:01   Link #2037
Draugur

Thanks to both of you. I already thought about something like this, but I also thought I could have missed something.
Old 2012-08-17, 12:31   Link #2038
Draugur

Sorry for bothering you, another question came to my mind ...
Spoiler for Hinamizawa Disaster:
Old 2012-08-19, 13:40   Link #2039
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
It's a hatchet with a pointy tip protuding out sideways. Seriously, that is the best way to explain it as it doesn't exist in that size. Although, there are similar ones such as the Echizen hatchet and the Haku hatchet, which are smaller and with a much rounded protuding tip. But, one guy went to the lengths of having it specially made just for the heck of it:
Spoiler:
Found this while searching for Rena's nata on google. Anywhere I can get one of those (Echizen or Haku hatchet, or other similar blade to the "Rena Ryuguu Special", if not an exact copy) in the US, preferably without specially ordering it? For that matter, is there anywhere that sells anime replica weapons that go beyond the usual mainstream crap.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 00:06   Link #2040
RandomAvatarFan

Hey, the "previews" at the end of the anime episodes... are they supposed to be Bernkastel's poems as well?

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote