AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 55 36.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 33.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 16.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 9.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-19, 05:02   Link #141
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
am i the only who think that youhei didnt want help bullied girl because he know her brother is coming and dont want to interfere with her affection ?

youhei never know who Sanae actually is. And you ask for a boy (who never been taken care by any girl) stop being excited with a girl who nice to him ?

How did Youhei know the girl had a brother? ESP?

and

Yes he can be excited, every healthy male is expected to be. But when you allow it to turn your brain to mush and your balls to turn into your brains, I doubt people would applaud that.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:30   Link #142
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfftw View Post
So how can you take or see him other then the funny dude of the show is beyond me. Obviously he didnt have any other purpose before this episode. I mean when were there "SERIOUS" episodes for sunohara it were all jokes in cases he did/said something.
You do complain people don't watch the series or read your post, yet you do such statement?

So youhei was never serious? I beg your pardon, but I believe you are really mistaken here.

How about when he ranted deep down that Nagisa shouldn't fend off because of Sugisaka's excuse for Rie?
How about when he was overly serious about Fuuko's weird state?
How about when he tried serious to think about Fuuko despite he forgot about her, unable to see her? (if he was that a joke character, he would say: maa, whatever)
How about when he actually show up during the weddings?
And the fact he says that Nagisa is only strong because Tomoya is around?

Again, it proves that you only saw in Youhei a "fun" character. This is wrong as he has as much depth as the other character, be it negative and positive.
He has much more purpose than what you have credited him for, and that are the points I made from the very start.
Youhei messes with people for some stupid reasons, and the RESULT only is funny, but the origin is not. Furthermore, he is also shown being sensitive and reasonable at times, topped with serious behaviour. These are 2 factors, good and bad side, that were present in his character from the very season 1 already.
Quote:
Every joke involving sunohara is over in 1 - 2 min tops. Meaning its comic relief. and the next 2 screen panels him and the others are buddies again. So please, the authors didnt show how drama and tension between sunohara and girls was formed.
You are again focalising only on the purpose and the execution of such funny scenes. Yet, you do not take account his psychology in doing so. The fact it was meant to be funny is irrelevant to the discussion: in the comedy disguise, it is shown that Youhei is your average guy who has huge tendency to be egocentric and very desperate with girls + some chauvinist.
It does not mean he is a bad guy, but he has a short temper, doubled with chauvinism and limited thinking options, as monir said.
Quote:
The normal Sunohara was always like HYPER active and would react OMG who MEI WHY etc. This is why i dont get what the hell kashi or rave meant
I'm sorry, but you didn't actually pay attention to his reactions then. Youhei actually was CRUSHED by the fact Mei went on her own, leaving him alone.
It was blatantly shown that Youhei couldn't believe Mei, yet Mei didn't pay heed to his change of behaviour. And this is even further shown when Tomoya pretended to be her boyfriend.
Youhei was not undecisive like that before... well duh, why do you ask? Because he was never in such kind of situation beforehand. He was always goofing with Tomoya, trying to hit on random girls and have troubles with Tomoyo and Kyou. Aside of this, he was kinda devoted to Nagisa and Fuuko, that's that.
He never got a conflict between Mei and what he thought being a finally rewarded relationship with a dream girl.

This is the very reason why youhei is showing ANOTHER side of his personality as it is the first time 2 very serious parts of his life are clashing together.

You really JUST focalise on Youhei being "a fun" guy, this is the simple reason why you just can't comprehend my points.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:32   Link #143
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
..i didnt know the human body could twist that far..
sponge bob

as for Youhei; for him it was a once in a life time opportunity for him, to be able to, date a super bijin like Sanae. And technically, he kows that Sanae is Nagisa's sister, Mei on the other hand is a girl.
Old 2008-10-19, 06:00   Link #144
wtfftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Youhei was not undecisive like that before... well duh, why do you ask? Because he was never in such kind of situation beforehand. He was always goofing with Tomoya, trying to hit on random girls and have troubles with Tomoyo and Kyou. Aside of this, he was kinda devoted to Nagisa and Fuuko, that's that.
He never got a conflict between Mei and what he thought being a finally rewarded relationship with a dream girl.

This is the very reason why youhei is showing ANOTHER side of his personality as it is the first time 2 very serious parts of his life are clashing together.

bla bla.
This is the part what you should have started with so we wouldn't have to talk about stuff that wouldn't matter much. The rest im not gonna go into dept cuz it will be a repetitive exchange of posts.

The points you mention are just general clannad cast on the side saying things for the story sake. I mean youhei forgetting fuko, How about when he actually show up during the weddings????? Im more talking about the highlight where you see youhei and what he is seen for or at least how i see him in the story. Obviously for you its different.

I mean for you Youhei is known by the points you mention above because for you its seem he was always like that. However i recognize Youhei as the funny guy of the show. As that is being explicitly show by him being punched with matrix like combo's, book in the face etc. You see the "him forgetting fuko or whatever the hell in the past happen" difference of opinion i geuss.

For me its basically how he always reacts and thats exactly how you also say he sorts of was doing stuff(stuff: being it 90% of time of jokes 10% serious) which are the pranks and things that come out of him mouth like OMG why would you do/say that. But Youhei is known by his pranks and jokes as that is how he is brought forth by. If indeed what you said would be true then they would go further in depth in such a drama point which they like 99% of the time dont which thus means it isnt important. However in the case of THIS EP. THEY DO but his character has changed in the indecisive Sunohara IN BOTH cases kashi. Because when he met okazaki and mei he was not sure whether to follow or walk away. That's very much unlike him

When i mean serious i mean as in youhei character development from a serious point of view about a something that has to do about him "an entire ep" and not just "1 moment" an emotional value of youhei which should contribute for other characters development".

However this part is exactly what i have been saying AND WHY the youhei is different now as how he used to be. Which is also why im saying your post is contradicting itself. And basically are still giving in that he is different now as in the past. because of the bold parts.

basically your saying the same thing i am in a different manner

Last edited by wtfftw; 2008-10-19 at 06:24.
Old 2008-10-19, 07:04   Link #145
rapidfire

This episode had me laughing through half, and giving Youhei bad looks for the other half.
It felt really jumbled and not as smooth as previous Clannad episodes, like certain scenes were just added only for the comedy effect. And Youhei showed his jerk side probably way to much here. It doesnt matter if he is like that in the game, the anime has him as a deeper and slightly kinder character, so it felt like a complete change in personality to see him make those choises in this episode.
Old 2008-10-19, 08:29   Link #146
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Then how come nobody realized that?
Old 2008-10-19, 08:41   Link #147
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave_master16 View Post
I did. I'd laugh at them both but it'd be pointless.
Old 2008-10-19, 09:07   Link #148
zero7090

well in my opinion Youhei is a quite good charracter. he is mostly depicted as a simple guy just fooling around with his friend w/o thinking much. But inside he has a serious side which can think more than other ppl (proved through Fuuko's and Nagisa's arc) . He is only serious when needed and none know that he is serious. It is kind of like a great sword which dont need to look sharp but can cut down diamond at the time it's need.
Old 2008-10-19, 10:01   Link #149
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I mean for you Youhei is known by the points you mention above because for you its seem he was always like that. However i recognize Youhei as the funny guy of the show. As that is being explicitly show by him being punched with matrix like combo's, book in the face etc. You see the "him forgetting fuko or whatever the hell in the past happen" difference of opinion i geuss.
For crying out loud: since when I said he was NOT the usual punching bag? You are mutating my own words and message...
What I said from the very beginning is that Youhei is vastly more than the mere comic relief, and my points standed for his egocentric approach, and yet also serious sensitive points.
In such, it demonstrates how his change for that situation is normal and within the scope of his character. Yet, you are still using the same "the usual fun guy" and even telling me it is a difference of opinion?
You are not following my point at all: the fact he is highlighted as the comic relief is intended by the authors. Yet, the highlights DON'T represent a character as a whole: it is the same for any anime character. The highlight serve to put emphasis on the role of a character, but generally speaking, it does not mean the character can be that only as a whole.

And this is where I still don't understand why you still tell me "just a difference of opinion": I never said he wasn't the slapstick engine, yet he is more than that, which explains my reasoning for his change, in which you didn't agree from the beginning. You are saying a point completely irrelevant to the discussion.

With the examples given above, the conclusion I was showing from the start is the fact that despite being a comic relief, Youhei isn't a saint and was pretty much a moron, still amusing. Yet, this very same inconsiderate personality spark its full potential with the given circumstances. Hence why I said it was normal, which you disagree. This is where the debate lies in, not about "You think he is like this, yet I don't" fact, which is nowhere close to "saying the same thing".
Quote:
However this part is exactly what i have been saying AND WHY the youhei is different now as how he used to be. Which is also why im saying your post is contradicting itself. And basically are still giving in that he is different now as in the past. because of the bold parts.
... In what aspect i'm contradicting myself? From the very start, I said Youhei was acting differently due the circumstances, yet I also said that it was normal for him to act like a jerk, considering his basic mindset with my arguments given before. This is the very same effect for Tomoya with Naoyuki, yet I don't think anyone complained it is outside of his character scope, isn't it? Youhei's change is the very same thing: the circumstances drove him to go hardcore with Sanae, to the point he is neglecting his surroundings, yet he is undecisive with Mei. It is different from the usual, yet does it make it totally out of character? I said it didn't.

How is THAT contradicting? I never said that he was always that a jerk before. I explained that he was always a selfish character, then due of the situation, he became a jerk which is why i said it is a natural conclusion for his character, storywise.
Quote:
And unfortunately, you pretend something that isn't. From the beginning, we did agree that he wasn't acting as usual. Yet the diverging point here is the fact that you said it was not normal and blamed the scripters for this. I, on the other hand, provided arguments about the reasons of his actions and the fact he was sure a comic relief, yet he was already not so "kind" to begin with, except rare exceptions.
It is not a different manner at all: you are saying it is not normal, I said it is. And please don't tell me it is a semantic issue.
That being said, there is nothing more to cover considering how both sides' arguments are, until you believe there are still points to bring out.

So ravemaster and Meotwister, I believe your comments are kinda displaced considering the whole argument is nowhere close to paraphrase or, for the lack of better term, "the same thing".
I don't care much if I convince people etc, but it is rather baffling to get your points taken to the very left field.

edit

Quote:
No wonder rave and kashi see it so differently. Until monir mentioned clannad game, i didnt even know there was a game. So how is Youhei in the game, cuz i never played it and seems he is like completely different there then in the anime? Or is the anime completely different from the anime?
The way he is shown is pretty much the same, that's why I used the mention of the game to prove my point he was always meant to change like this. The only difference is the number of serious aspects that have been reduced for obvious reason, but in the same time, he is less a douche as well in the anime.
And before you claim something too early: no my vision isn't affected by the game except for knowing the other reasons for such situation. Also, I already considered the "comic relief, yet not so commendable mindset" with the anime alone, as I only played the game when Kotomi's arc was airing.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-10-19 at 10:58.
Old 2008-10-19, 10:04   Link #150
wtfftw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I did. I'd laugh at them both but it'd be pointless.
hidoi

Quote:
This episode had me laughing through half, and giving Youhei bad looks for the other half.
It felt really jumbled and not as smooth as previous Clannad episodes, like certain scenes were just added only for the comedy effect. And Youhei showed his jerk side probably way to much here. It doesnt matter if he is like that in the game, the anime has him as a deeper and slightly kinder character, so it felt like a complete change in personality to see him make those choises in this episode.
No wonder rave and kashi see it so differently. Until monir mentioned clannad game, i didnt even know there was a game. So how is Youhei in the game, cuz i never played it and seems he is like completely different there then in the anime? Or is the anime completely different from the anime?

I might even play it, if they a showdown between Youhei and Tomoyo. Id be funny to play with Sunohara against "last-boss" Tomoyo, that be so funny Id buy it just for that.
Old 2008-10-19, 10:37   Link #151
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

i enjoyed this episode. it was funny seeing sunohara be a terrible dater. he did kind of annoy me when he started to take the sanae thing serious, but overall a good ep.

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
Old 2008-10-19, 12:19   Link #152
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In all honesty though, IIRC Sunohara wasn't exactly gaga when Mei came around the first time in the last season. Add on the fact that Mei is going to extra lengths to 'meddle' into his life (to the point of skipping school) and the foreshadowed 'traumatic' event that created the rift for Sunohara's affection for Mei, then I really do find Sunohara's actions to be believable. Clearly, Sunohara doesn't seem to want Mei around for some reason, and her overstaying her welcome has just made him more irritable in terms of his relationship with her.

Sometimes, character development does not make a character 'better', and just like KimiKiss, this departure from the norm just makes Sunohara all the more interesting for me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-10-19, 13:04   Link #153
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
So ravemaster and Meotwister, I believe your comments are kinda displaced considering the whole argument is nowhere close to paraphrase or, for the lack of better term, "the same thing".
Lol... that's why I asked him why nobody realized that. But to my surprise someone did, even though it's not the same thing. I'm not actually agreeing that your arguments are the same thing. It's just weird that he said that it's the same thing though your arguments are very different.
~Sees Klash~ OMG ~Runaway!~
Old 2008-10-19, 14:34   Link #154
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Personally I found Mei annoying this episode. If I had a sister that would go "I want to see your gf" I would tell her to gtfo. Am I the only one who finds it weird that 3 people are following someones date? Its alright that she is worried about her (stupid) brother but the hell with all this deceiving going on things will always only turn worse.
Old 2008-10-19, 14:42   Link #155
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Many people said the animation quality gone down, I would say, the animation in terms of frame rate is as good as any other episode, but it's most likely done by another team of animators within KyoAni, therefore the characters look slightly different.

In Haruhi, if any one looks at episode 5,11 (broadcast order), all the characters looks slightly off compared to the other episode. The most noticable would be the shine with the hair and have a flatter colour look, they also have drawn the characters a little cuter too. Some Lucky Star offical art is most likely be drawn by them, the ones that looks 'ugly' or really off.

I think in Clannad, it's just more noticable compared to other KyoAni series. Bleh, I don't know how to explain it clearly T^T
Old 2008-10-19, 14:59   Link #156
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The problem is actually how people always mix up "animation" and "quality".
Considering the comments, most if not all indeed talked about quality, especially the design. And it is not only different, but certainly toned down in details compared to S1 and episode 1-2.

Animation wise, it didn't get a drop, yes.
Old 2008-10-19, 17:16   Link #157
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I agree the details have gone down and it looks different. I must be the very few people who actually likes this style, I always liked anime looking slightly flatter. I think this team animated the Tomoyo episode last season, I just love the facial expressions in this style and the hair ^_^''

I understand why people are disapointed in KyoAni as we all expect VERY high from them.
Old 2008-10-19, 19:12   Link #158
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Personally I found Mei annoying this episode. If I had a sister that would go "I want to see your gf" I would tell her to gtfo. Am I the only one who finds it weird that 3 people are following someones date? Its alright that she is worried about her (stupid) brother but the hell with all this deceiving going on things will always only turn worse.
I think his sister's an ***.

First of all, she ignores Youhei throughout the entire first season completely. He would be left out of everything. (Which was kinda sad actually.)

Now suddenly she's butting into his life because she's upset. But lol, who is the one who was doing the ignoring in the first place... Gee I wonder. Talk about a hypocrite sister who only cares about things which concern only her.

And then there's all this deceiving nonsense. It's funny, but if you were to do that in real life, it's a big no-no and can lead to some very bad events. Seeing as how the drama is building, I wouldn't be surprised if Youhei socks Tomoya one in the face. (I know I would.. and I wouldn't care if Tomoya was joking or not.) Sick joke is sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
I agree the details have gone down and it looks different. I must be the very few people who actually likes this style, I always liked anime looking slightly flatter. I think this team animated the Tomoyo episode last season, I just love the facial expressions in this style and the hair ^_^''

I understand why people are disapointed in KyoAni as we all expect VERY high from them.
What is everyone complaining about? The animation and "quality" look no different than they usually are. In fact, they did a grand job with handling the Mei onii-chan scene.
Old 2008-10-19, 20:10   Link #159
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Actually I would LOVE to see Sunohara punching Tomoya really hard just once as payback for all the jokes he made on him. Tomoya was never a really likeable character and to be honest, 99% of the time they are together he uses Sunohara for his amuesement. The "I am Meis boyfriend" was just over the top.

And one more thing: Why did Mei expect her brother coming to save her from her EVIL BOYFRIEND? You could assume that Mei is mature enough to realize when she is dating a scumbag. Also Tomoya and Nagisa freaking out because she is not dating, but MEETING a boy gave me the creeps.
Old 2008-10-19, 20:17   Link #160
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Again, next episode, if it is indeed the end of the arc, should be the coolest thing ever.
Closed Thread