AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-21, 09:09   Link #1081
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

(Even though I'm more of a lurker here now.. since I felt there's not much people here who are interested in some of the Strike Witches aspects I liked, thus no one to talk to.. I'm still look at this thread from time to time for SW news and gossips ^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
I'm quite aware of that, but I can't just get over seeing getting a series that I love so much (or in this case, really wanted to love and have high hope and potential for) getting turned into a mess like that by a studio that only cares more about money and less about creativity.
I remember you telling me to stop being redundant about my dissatisfaction about Strike Witches.. but it seems that you've also done it yourself.. ^^;

Quote:
And it doesn't help that many of the egotistical "light novel fans" (if they truly are fans) or anyone else for that matter tend to show apathy towards it, seeing how they bash the first series with their holier-than-thou conservative attitude (despite what they read and love so much still tends to have a lot of what they hate. They just don't see it.)
Egotistical Light Novel Fans? Not True fans? aren't you starting to label people here?

Define to us what a "True" Strike Witches fan is...

...We all can't agree on everything but it's the labeling and the name calling that might tick some people's nerves..

If I misquoted or misunderstood your post in any way, I apologize but I'm replying with the literal sense of your post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Hypothetically, the opinion of "S2 is worse than S1" is the minority, since the BD/DVD sales were much higher for the 2nd season than the 1st season.
I'll honestly admit I'm one of the Minority, but I do hope this anime continues to sell well so that more figures of witches and maybe even the other witches from other Joint Fighter Wings will be made (I dream of a Heidimarie figure in 1/8 rendering glory donning her Me110 unit of course~ ^^ )

==

I'm probably more neutral about the Strike Witches anime now.. or something...
It's seems that Humikane Shimada, the man himself has not much grip on the anime franchise anyway.. at least based on the Nytantype Interview Translation

I don't know how he really wanted the Strike Witches anime shows to go (whether he's more on the light heartedness of both the anime or the neutral feel of the OVA..) but in the end... it's the anime directors who are probably in control.. thus they should be the ones to point if the show sucked or not..

In my taste, I hope he'd work more with Takaaki Suzuki & Takeshi Nogami because I'm really interested in the Africa theatre where Hanna Marseille and the desert witches are in ^^

Ok that's enough, I typed so much senseless crap

Speaking of figures, here's some shots of my Alter Yoshika

Owning both a Kotobu and an Alter now, I'd say Alter renders wins hands down in terms of detail.

I'm still waiting for my Alter Charlotte to arrive ^ and still searching for that Alter Sanya that seems so rare now

Last edited by pauldy; 2011-07-21 at 10:24. Reason: Not well thought, grammar
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 10:31   Link #1082
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
I'm still waiting for my Alter Charlotte to arrive ^ and still searching for that Alter Sanya that seems so rare now
The Charlotte is brilliant. I love her pose and expression, like she's just about to dive straight into the action after cycling her BAR.

As for the Sanya figure, good luck. I got mine for more than I care to remember but... She was worth it. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 15:42   Link #1083
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
(Even though I'm more of a lurker here now.. since I felt there's not much people here who are interested in some of the Strike Witches aspects I liked, thus no one to talk to.. I'm still look at this thread from time to time for SW news and gossips ^)

I remember you telling me to stop being redundant about my dissatisfaction about Strike Witches.. but it seems that you've also done it yourself.. ^^;

Egotistical Light Novel Fans? Not True fans? aren't you starting to label people here?

Define to us what a "True" Strike Witches fan is...

...We all can't agree on everything but it's the labeling and the name calling that might tick some people's nerves..

If I misquoted or misunderstood your post in any way, I apologize but I'm replying with the literal sense of your post..

I'll honestly admit I'm one of the Minority, but I do hope this anime continues to sell well so that more figures of witches and maybe even the other witches from other Joint Fighter Wings will be made (I dream of a Heidimarie figure in 1/8 rendering glory donning her Me110 unit of course~ ^^ )

==

I'm probably more neutral about the Strike Witches anime now.. or something...
It's seems that Humikane Shimada, the man himself has not much grip on the anime franchise anyway.. at least based on the Nytantype Interview Translation

I don't know how he really wanted the Strike Witches anime shows to go (whether he's more on the light heartedness of both the anime or the neutral feel of the OVA..) but in the end... it's the anime directors who are probably in control.. thus they should be the ones to point if the show sucked or not..

In my taste, I hope he'd work more with Takaaki Suzuki & Takeshi Nogami because I'm really interested in the Africa theatre where Hanna Marseille and the desert witches are in ^^

Ok that's enough, I typed so much senseless crap

Speaking of figures, here's some shots of my Alter Yoshika

Owning both a Kotobu and an Alter now, I'd say Alter renders wins hands down in terms of detail.

As much as I hate to admit it, it's actually true. And I apologize if I was being harsh about it. For a while, I also had given up on this series as well (after what AIC did with that "thing" they created. I refuse to call it by that other name seeing how it's not a true sequel to Strike Witches, nor does it deserve to be called that.) I'll admit for once that I agree with you definitely about "it" being strongly dissapointing. I still have hopes for future Strike Witches media doing well in the future. (Heck, I'm still thinking of giving the film a second try, seeing how by all new story, it'll be either a true sequel to the original series made by GONZO or something involving the 504 JFW or some other JFW unit.) I still even have the fanbook of that "show" AIC made, not because I like or hate it, but because I'm still a Strike Witches fan.

Once again, I apologize if you do feel that I'm labeling people around here. When I made that post, it was in response to some people who were being rude and arrogant to my post. Not to you or anyone else. And by "true" Strike Witches fans, I was refering to einhorn303's post way earlier in this thread. He said something about liking all the aspects of the franchise or something like that. Even with that, I still apologize. I was just overwhelmed with what AIC did and had gotten tired of the apathy people gave it. I'm very sorry.

I think I've made myself obviously clear about me being the minority who hates that "thing" AIC created. Yet I still love episodes 6, 8, and 10. Sometimes I wish those were OVA specials or something else. While I do love the actual series (the one GONZO produce,) I have at least some hope for future Strike Witches anime to come.

I apologize if I offended anyone here.

@einhorn303: So technically, according to the number of BD/DVD sales, that "thing" AIC made was more popular than Strike Witches? Never noticed it. *is shocked and appalled*

Putting all that aside, I also managed to get the "High Quality" Yoshika Miyafuji figure at AX 2011. After looking at those pics I kind of want the Alter version now (along with Lynette, Charlotte, and Shirley.)
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 20:34   Link #1084
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Quote:
... looking at those pics I kind of want the Alter version now (along with Lynette, Charlotte, and Shirley.)....
You mean Charlotte the Tiger Tank Witch ?
Old 2011-07-24, 08:52   Link #1085
einhorn303

Quote:
Is that image cropped from a magazine? Do you know which one/volume? It's interesting to see the Afrika crew show up as a magazine page.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 22:43   Link #1086
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I actually meant Shirley Yeager.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen these before but

Spoiler for 501 JFW in 1947:

Can't wait to see if Lynette or Lucchini get a 1947 "what if." Then again, their not exactly canonical being that they're recent additions.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:17   Link #1087
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

->einhorn: It's a Fanart..
Old 2011-08-03, 00:26   Link #1088
Sol Falling

So, I've just caught on to this series via free streaming from Funimation pretty recently, and it's already absorbed a fair amount of my life. I've started listening on the side to Youtube archives of the Starlight Stream radio show which was done by the VAs who played Sanya and Eila, and I've been having a lot of fun with it, even if I can hardly understand the majority of what they're saying. At least, however, the wiki's summary of the radio segments as well as its translations for the in-character opening and ending skits have allowed me to follow the general gist of it.

Anyway, getting to the point here, one of the recent episodes I finished up just now had the brilliant moment when Mai and Ayuru first presented information about the second DS game. People have already posted bits about it in this thread: Strike Witches 2: Iyasu Naosu Punipunisuru, the one that featured those now pretty common DS girl-rubbing and tapping segments, lol. Anyway, the brilliant thing about the segment was that apparently the rubbing and squishing segments in this game were actually about Yoshika improving her 'skinship' with the other witches. Even though it was an advertisement/information segment, the girls obviously had a blast with that one.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 02:46   Link #1089
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

It seems I've gone into lurker mode as far as this forum is concerned.

^^ @ Sol Falling: Iyasu, Naosu, Puni Puni Suru made me curious about playing it. Oddly enough, in addition to skinship mode, and battle mode, the game actually takes place in between episodes of that "thing" AIC made. Even with that, those aspects make me want to play it.

I'm kind of worried that even though the Strike Witches movie comes out next year, there's been a lack of information about it. Given that it's going to be a new story instead of a recap has in a way, made me feel a bit of relief. The way I can see this working is if it follows a new JFW or if it's an actual sequel that's actually canon to the first series. The only problem is that if it's a new JFW, I'd might have a hard time adjusting to the new cast of characters. Or if it follows Yoshika again, and dismisses that "thing" AIC made, then some of the characters from the 501 would have to be cut. Just my opinion.
Old 2011-08-09, 13:54   Link #1090
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Strike Witches 1947 Cold Winter:

Now this is cool. And do i see a love interest?
Old 2011-08-09, 15:38   Link #1091
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

A man in a main character role in a Strike Witches story? That's blasphemy.
Old 2011-08-10, 21:18   Link #1092
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Just read the Cold Winter 1947 short stories relating to the pics on the Strike Witches wiki. Good stuff there.

http://strikewitches.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_Winter_1947
Old 2011-08-11, 15:47   Link #1093
einhorn303

Quote:
Just read the Cold Winter 1947 short stories relating to the pics on the Strike Witches wiki. Good stuff there.

http://strikewitches.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_Winter_1947
Translated already? Awesome! Now if someone could just get to the other Humikane twitter stories.
Old 2011-08-18, 19:00   Link #1094
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

I really don't want to bring any more negativity to this but it looks like I'll have to pass on the Strike Witches movie...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...or-spring-2012

In case you're wondering, yes, it's being animated by AIC. And it's a shame being that GONZO's slowly returning, yet it focuses on other shows. Goodbye Strike Witches movie. It was nice not knowing you. I'll just stick with the Otome no Maki light novels for now.
Old 2011-08-19, 10:02   Link #1095
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

->Joff: Any information which Fighter Wing will the movie be about?

Anyway, I know there's not much justice done regarding the 501st's depiction in both SW anime but..

I hope the movie would be about another Fighter wing.

Edit:

Never mind, after looking at ANN's source, I already had a feeling it would be about the 501st again..

Hence, same silliness, same yuri stories and same girl bums.. phsaw~

Anyway, No high hopes for this one hahaha =D but let's wait and see..
Old 2011-08-19, 15:48   Link #1096
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

^^ @ Pauldy: I did remember that there was something on the Strike Witches wiki about adding another world witch to the movie, which has got me a little excited, but not too much.

Even though it does have the 501 JFW in the poster, I'd still doubt that they would bring the 501 JFW back, especially after AIC butchered the second series by making Miyafuji loose her power thanks to Shin-Reppuzan (which I felt Sakamoto stole the series in eps. 2) Also while I don't mind some of the members of the 501 coming back, I don't find it all that necessary to bring back the whole crew. Especially Sakamoto, who not only was losing her power at the end of SW1, but also suffered strongly from character derailment in SW2. The same could be said with Minna. Not to mention Barkhorn didn't do much this season either. I'm more into having other members from the other JFW come in as well. But this is AIC were talking about. All they care about is money and pandering, not creativity. Seeing how dissatisfied I've become with Strike Witches the Slice of Life Version (a.k.a. Strike Witches 2), I'd doubt I have high hopes for this one. (Unless I'm proven wrong.)

Also, after reading Shimada's interview via Nyan-Type, I wonder what his opinion is on Strike Witches 2, given his dislike for parodies and references to other shows (which I swore it had.)

Last edited by Jof12788; 2011-08-19 at 20:21. Reason: grammatical errors and relevant info
Old 2011-08-19, 22:46   Link #1097
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

->Joff:

My opinions on this one has no solid proof or basis and thus shouldn't be considered seriously (LoL I sound like the people from that certain Tropical Cyclone forum or something )

Anyway, Humikane sensei probably still doesn't care.. or perhaps he's forced to keep opinions to himself.. given the "Corporate" factors..

You see, the Strike Witches originally DID NOT have a plot at all it seems.. Compared to the other anime titles we have that either started from games, novels and manga...

Strike Witches were just mere illustrations of WWII era combat Aircraft Gijinka aka Mecha Musume/Shoujo.. It seems that the plot was just added later... an average type imo..

Anyway, Strike Witches was something animation companies randomly found out They thought they might make a good profits from it, considering how popular Moe, fanservice and yuri elements nowadays..

As for Humikane, criticizing the ones that gave him the "prestige" (AIC & Gonzo, includes the directors and staff) would be a financial and perhaps a career suicide.

He's just a mere illustrator and character designer..

His works being turned into anime might be something similar to a privilege given to him than a right.. Should he speak against those "big people" and he should be prepared to pack his bags and go to another company or field.

It's just like how offending your boss would be grounds for termination from your company...

It's wordy.. but anyway, that's what I think why Humikane himself has no negative reactions on Strike Witches 2 amidst most fans being disappointed..

Last edited by pauldy; 2011-08-20 at 00:17.
Old 2011-08-20, 00:00   Link #1098
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

-> Pauldy

I see. Thanks for the info. Though I'll admit, I was aware of the fact that Strike Witches mostly didn't have a plot as the basis were mostly Moe-anthropomorphizations of famous WWII pilots and their aircrafts. While I do like the Moe character designs as well as the occasional fanservice and yuri elements, it's not enough to say that I don't expect there to be some substance to it. Given it's military undertones in the character designs, that's kind of what I got with the first season (which I personally liked.) While I did appreciate the characterization that SW2 gave, I feel that it could've done much more than what we got (let alone the fact that SW2, when you look back at it, is actually the same as SW1, but with more focus on slice-of-life elements and less on military aspects.) But then again, history is history.
Old 2011-08-28, 02:35   Link #1099
YuriEcchiGirl

Fingers crossed big-time that the 2nd season will get a UK DVD release over here very soon
Old 2011-08-28, 07:20   Link #1100
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriEcchiGirl View Post
Fingers crossed big-time that the 2nd season will get a UK DVD release over here very soon
Did the 1st season already get a DVD release?

I'm hoping for a BD release for the US. There actually was a BD/DVD combo-pack re-release of the 1st season solicited, but it got changed to DVD only. I asked Funimation at a convention if it was just because of material issues, or if they didn't think it was feasible to release on BD. They said they still planned to release it on BD, but there were just delays with materials and they wanted to get a re-release out quickly. So hopefully that won't take too long, even if the 1st season would be an upscale; I want plenty of excuses to re-buy it over and over.

Tags
kemonomimi, light novel adaptation, mecha, mecha musume