AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-03, 12:38   Link #21
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I think the reason why the death of the black dude stands out is because he's usually the only black dude in the movie. It's not like we've never seen a whole expedition crew of white dudes get whiped out and not really care.

As for cliches: I love the shotgun with 1 hand extended ... or even better he's got an m60 in both hands

You don't see these anymore though ... you have to watch the really old action movies for the laughs.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 12:41   Link #22
Harogenki
Victim of Zeta Reticulins

Send a message via AIM to Harogenki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
I red the thread about overused cliché in anime and there was some who respond that american movie too got cliché. So this is the place to talk about that.

1- in action movies, the hero always seem to not get shot eve if 100 person shoot at him, but the hero can shot just one time and he never miss.

2- Always a couple of survivor in horror apocalyptic movies (others too if i think about it). Never you will see a guy/girl ending alone. If the guy/girl is divorced he will get a new girl/guy. If the guy/girl is single in the movie he will find a girl/guy.

3- there is always a stupid black guy who says stupid thing in comedy or one that dies in horror/action movies. when he dies they don't stop the same amonth of time crying for him that they do on a white one. This situation apply too on people that don't fit in the american standar ( fat people, other race then white, gays even if it's not that obvius that he/she is gay,etc)

4- american always seems to be the number one country and they always win and have other country being grateful blah blah blah. maybe they think that movie is a touristic ad?

5-Always an happy endind.

Can't think of more for the moment.
First of all I'd like to say learn english, second of all, WTF are you talking about man
Harogenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 12:51   Link #23
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Ever notice how almost everyone in Movies/TV uses a Macintosh?

Especially if it's a laptop....
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:07   Link #24
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
honestly, american movies suck horrible, Ive come to a point when I see the first 15 min of the film and I already know ALL the plot twists, the dialogs, the ending, is pretty sad.

The cliche that stands out the most is that the black guy always dies first, no matter if its a horror film or an action film. The only exception ocurrs when the movie has a black protagonist, but in this case you dont see a white guy at all, maybe just one, and hes an idiot. Unfortunatly black people in general seem to be as racist as white people.

And I still have to see a romance drama with a love triangle that doesnt have an obvious ending.

Oh I forgot that usually in movies and series the best friend of the protagonist is a complete and total geek (harry Potter, buffy, and every teen drama of the like) wich is the complete oposite of anime, when the best friend is the cool guy (at this moment I can only recall Tsukihime, but I ve seen it in a lot of other animes as well)

Another awful custom is to include a gay/black/woman/with aids character (usually I mix of all this features) to "apeal" to the minorities (example: dark angel, well, without the aids part ) I found that extremely insulting.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:07   Link #25
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I think the reason why the death of the black dude stands out is because he's usually the only black dude in the movie. It's not like we've never seen a whole expedition crew of white dudes get whiped out and not really care.

As for cliches: I love the shotgun with 1 hand extended ... or even better he's got an m60 in both hands

You don't see these anymore though ... you have to watch the really old action movies for the laughs.
That reminds me of the other Star Trek cliché; when beaming down to a planet, the red shirted extra was sure not to survive the mission.

The Franchi Spas12 shotgun was designed to be able to shot one handed for shooting around barricades and corners, and is probably the most used shotgun in movies in the recent years, just because it looks "bad". The miss-portrayal of firearms in movies is almost universal in action movies with only a few that really do it right.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:10   Link #26
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harogenki
First of all I'd like to say learn english, second of all, WTF are you talking about man
I am talking about cliché in american movie. if you don't understand my english read the other post to see what the thread is about.

You never tried to learn a other language do you? People who speak english don't see the chance they have.
i'm a GIRL so no man please.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:16   Link #27
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
I am talking about cliché in american movie. if you don't understand my english read the other post to see what the thread is about.

You never tried to learn a other language do you? People who speak english don't see the chance they have.
i'm a GIRL so no man please.
Still doesn't explain how half the stuff you listed you can't back up with examples.

You basically used cliches to point out other cliches.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:28   Link #28
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
honestly, american movies suck horrible, Ive come to a point when I see the first 15 min of the film and I already know ALL the plot twists, the dialogs, the ending, is pretty sad.
Oh it can't be that bad. There are some movies that I thought were absolutely incredible. Take "Saving Private Ryan" Sure it's obvious they're going to find him, but letting the rest of the team die except for like 2 guys is cool. "Full Metal Jacket" That's one hell of a movie. Or even Raging Bull. (Hmm... movies I've been listing are pretty old...)

Quote:
The cliche that stands out the most is that the black guy always dies first, no matter if its a horror film or an action film. The only exception ocurrs when the movie has a black protagonist, but in this case you dont see a white guy at all, maybe just one, and hes an idiot. Unfortunatly black people in general seem to be as racist as white people.
Not really, it's usually 1 humorless white guy that believes in the law. And one hip street smart black guy. The 2 must learn to live with each other to solve the crime. The culture difference gets in the way, but eventually they learn to cooperate.

Quote:
And I still have to see a romance drama with a love triangle that doesnt have an obvious ending.
Watch "Maltese Falcon", or Casablanca (Again old ass movies) But they have a nice different twist on love triangles. Namely the Main Character doesn't get the girl.

Quote:
Another awful custom is to include a gay/black/woman/with aids character (usually I mix of all this features) to "apeal" to the minorities (example: dark angel, well, without the aids part ) I found that extremely insulting.
This would have to be the fault of the 1980's aids scare. Where everyone thought only gays could get AIDs. I don't see much AIDs movies anymore.

I would have to agree with you that 90% of American Movies are predicable and pretty boring. But hey, they make money. Hollywood gets like 85% of the income from movies, and produces like 35% of the world movies.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:32   Link #29
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Don't think these fall into the "cliché" category but......

Whenever the Chief of police says the words Your off the job! Or your suspended! The cop in question just chooses not to hear that very specific order.

In american movies, whenever there is a scene in a "bar", the bar tender is always! Cleaning a glass with a white cloth.

Theres alot more but im tired.....
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:55   Link #30
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
That reminds me of the other Star Trek cliché; when beaming down to a planet, the red shirted extra was sure not to survive the mission.

The Franchi Spas12 shotgun was designed to be able to shot one handed for shooting around barricades and corners, and is probably the most used shotgun in movies in the recent years, just because it looks "bad". The miss-portrayal of firearms in movies is almost universal in action movies with only a few that really do it right.
Just because you can remove the stock doesnt mean it was designed to be shot with one hand, I've fired one my friend that thing is too damn heavy to be used with one hand its a 10 pound combat shotgun for god sake oh and by the way most people dont know this but it has a switch for semi auto or pump action which is retarded because who chooses pump action over semiauto in a combat situation
Old 2004-08-03, 14:13   Link #31
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harogenki
Just because you can remove the stock doesnt mean it was designed to be shot with one hand, I've fired one my friend that thing is too damn heavy to be used with one hand its a 10 pound combat shotgun for god sake oh and by the way most people dont know this but it has a switch for semi auto or pump action which is retarded because who chooses pump action over semiauto in a combat situation
No, it is not the removal of the stock, it is the stock version with the folding hook on it. The hook loops under you bicep when the arm is held at a 90 degre angle around a corner.

I have owned a Spas for over 10 years now,(one of the good perks of working in a firearms store for over 12 years), the pump/semiauto switch funtion serevs two pourposes. 1st: If you fire low charge rounds they will not cycle the action so you use the pump action. 2nd: The pump action can help clean jams.

Here is the page from the manual explaning the use of the stock:
Spoiler:
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 14:15   Link #32
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
No, it is not the removal of the stock, it is the stock version with the folding hook on it. The hook loops under you bicep when the arm is held at a 90 degre angle around a corner.

I have owned a Spas for over 10 years now,(one of the good perks of working in a firearms store for over 12 years), the pump/semiauto switch funtion serevs two pourposes. 1st: If you fire low charge rounds they will not cycle the action so you use the pump action. 2nd: The pump action can help clean jams.

Here is the page from the manual explaning the use of the stock:
Spoiler:
Look all im sayin is the average Italian special police force agent or soldier is not going to use it with just one hand in combat. Plus with MAC-10s people claim "oh yea they use that with one hand in combat" yea maybe if their running for their lives but it has a stock and it was meant to be aimed at close range with one hand under the foreend just behind the barrel and the stock against your shoulder, although MAC10s stocks are a bit short in length, oh and if you work in a gun store then get me a Calico M951 I've been searching for one for a long time
Old 2004-08-03, 14:20   Link #33
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Don't think these fall into the "cliché" category but......

Whenever the Chief of police says the words Your off the job! Or your suspended! The cop in question just chooses not to hear that very specific order.
Not only that! He actually stops messing up and catches the bad guy.

The moral of the story is whenever a cop is having trouble with a case, take away his badge and gun. Like magic he'll catch the criminal, as a civilian, that the entire police force couldn't apprehend. That'll work everytime.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 22:48   Link #34
HoboGod
Necromancer

well, there are good clichés and bad clichés. Movies have to be somewhat predictable or they wont be entertaining. Want a movie free of any clichés? watch a foreign documentory, because the movie will be equally boring and hard to understand.

Bad Cliché:
  • Slow motion explosions - these are just over used and often pointless. often times, the explosion is so slow, that it is just plain boring. i'd much rather see 10 explosions that last half a second than 5 whole seconds of one explosion.
  • Time bombs being defused at the last second - you know the goddamn thing is going to be defused if the hero is doing it. it isn't suspenseful, it is just boring.
  • The psycho in a slasher film is taken down by the main character at the end in a way any of the other people he killed could have done just as easily - Nobody else thinks of stabbing him in the neck? If you are going to take the psycho down, use creativity.
  • Not listening when being warned - This always pisses me off. Some hotshot jackass doesn't let to somebody try to say "the floor is wet" and he falls on his face. the other guy remarks "i tried to warn you." not the only instance, there is also the scooby doo type of not listening where the guy does something anyway even tho they were told what would happen if they did.

Good Cliché:
  • Rules of a Horror Fim... well, most of them anyway - you bastards that would say that these rules should be under bad clichés obviously know nothing about horror films. What makes horror movies so frightening is that you know what is going to happen and there is nothing you can do to stop it. There is a sence of safety you have while the rules are not in place that makes it even more nerve wreching when they are in place.
  • Fitting music for fitting scenes - a heroic person can look more heroic with some insperational music playing. a sad story can look more sad with violin music playing. a spooky basement can look more spooky with some eerie music playing. It is often very cliché-ish how the music is just put in as if by cue, but it does add to the movie.
  • Villain comes back at the end - this is something most people don't like, but I for one love it. as a kid, i always felt uneasy by this and it even gave me nightmares sometimes... it was wonderful that something could effect me like that.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 23:45   Link #35
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
All these so called 'American' cliches apply to action and horror movies which typically really on action and suspense to make up for weak plots. I've seen these same themes just as often in international films.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 07:56   Link #36
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I know one more. The President of the US is ALWAYS a toughie war hero and lots of people willingly sacrifice themselves in order to save him. For example Independence Day and Air Force One.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 09:19   Link #37
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Still doesn't explain how half the stuff you listed you can't back up with examples.

You basically used cliches to point out other cliches.
I just started this thread in the general chat because of the 10-overused cliché in anime thread that was in the general anime chat. Some people there said that Americans movie too have cliché so i created the thread here to continue talking about cliché in movies. Like that there will not be off topic post in the general anime thread. Maybe i should not have done that and let someone else who write a better English and have a better memory do it. Since it's cliché they come from a lots a movie and i have bad memory so i never remember the title of the movie. But this might be a poor excuse. Sorry for being lazy. I am not worthy of stating my opinion. Thanks god you were there to make me realise it.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 10:45   Link #38
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Overused cliche:

- Blondes are airheads.

example: there are too many... it's overused. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 11:01   Link #39
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Its funny how this entire thread and all its replies have used to word Cliche in completely the wrong context. WRONG F'IN WORD.
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 12:12   Link #40
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wolf-Of-Mibu
Its funny how this entire thread and all its replies have used to word Cliche in completely the wrong context. WRONG F'IN WORD.
Ahem.......I never.

But I can't think of a better word.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2004-08-04 at 12:23.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote