Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-02-12, 09:55   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I never would have guessed. I haven't read the manga so I can't say for sure but this sounds like the kind of adaption that elevates the original material.
You have no idea. It's in my top 10 if you go strictly by how well it maximizes the potential of the source material.

This is how I phrased it on the site: these anime-original arcs are like cheat codes. They advance the relationship part of the story more quickly than anything in the manga does – and the advancement is more direct, and less inferential. I think they’re probably necessary, as a too-literal adaptation wouldn’t flow that well as anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-12, 10:20   Link #82
grecefar

yeah that's why I was looking foward to this, they've done an amazing job with those original, the summer festival was 10/10.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-12, 12:26   Link #83
Lex79

So you are telling me that when I thought that there was no need to watch this since I read both the manga and the spinoff I was wrong...
Old 2022-02-12, 21:26   Link #84
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I sort of wonder if the author had a hand in the anime-original content. I've heard of that happening sometimes, an author helping to write new scenarios for the anime.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-12, 21:31   Link #85
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll give credit where it is due...the casting wasn't a bad call. Nishikata is a good guy. But he would not have been able to handle that many lines in general. Not to mention acting opposite of Takagi. Which makes sense. He's got a long way to go before being comfortable with his own feelings. But standing in for one scene could work. Of course he had to get in there at some point, but it was right for the story to wait until the last moment to do it.

And it paid off nicely. When he doesn't have time to think, Nishikata can be pretty heroic. I did enjoy his "now what the heck am I supposed to do" reaction. Racing out there, the mask falling off, and being at a loss. Of course Takagi was practically swooning and that's completely fair. The shock of nearly falling in that accident, getting rescued, and having it be Nishikata? Yeah, that'll have impact.

Definitely the best episode of season 3 by a mile. Not that it hasn't had any good episodes. But this was just really good throughout. Definitely an interesting thing how the anime-original episodes are the best of the franchise. Just a bit of an odd thing having the source material be outdone by the anime consistently .
Old 2022-02-12, 22:22   Link #86
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I sort of wonder if the author had a hand in the anime-original content. I've heard of that happening sometimes, an author helping to write new scenarios for the anime.
I kind of doubt it because the dynamic is a bit different, and to me these chapters feel a bit "off" (though not in a bad way). Nishikata is more assertive and Takagi a bit more vulnerable. I mean, manga Nishikata would never have done that "meet me on the roof" thing.
Old 2022-02-12, 22:36   Link #87
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, either way I really liked it. On top of that it reminds me of a scene I really loved from another manga called "Shinu Hodo Kimi no Shojo ga Hoshii".
Spoiler:

I wonder if there's a trope for this, I've seen it a few times now.
Old 2022-02-13, 21:06   Link #88
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
100%. Just like the camping trip (maybe my favorite arc of the anime) and the summer festival (which the manga alluded to but never depicted).
And the episode-long dream sequence?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-13, 23:04   Link #89
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Yeah, pretty sure that was too. Except it wasn’t anything close to episode-long.
Old 2022-02-14, 01:22   Link #90
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
The stuff that was clearly dream, I'm pretty sure yes. The grip thing was in the manga though.
Old 2022-02-18, 12:39   Link #91
Frontier

Takagi knows her man and his love of dogs, and uses that as an excuse to get him to come running so he could walk a dog with her and she could get to spend some fun time walking with him and seeing him so happy to be able to walk a dog on a leash and play with said dog. She even gets to take some candid pics of him playing with the dog, implying she was watching them together the whole time in classic Takagi fashion .

Lost of post-festival couples making the most of the time after school to spend time together, and Nishikata of course doesn't want to get mistaken for dating Takagi when he goes back to school for homework so he commits to ditching her and getting to the classroom on the sly...and of course Takagi beats him there and knew what he was planning. Nakai and Mano have these two pegged anyways. Takagi just wants any excuse to spend more time with Nishikata .

Poor Yukari is still single around Christmas...and she points out how Takagi and Nishikata basically are dating at this point, even if it's not official, which is pretty accurate .

Mina still believes in Santa Claus and freaks out at the idea that some kids don't have presents and her parents are in contact with Santa and might be depriving her of gifts. This poor, sweet, innocent girl .

Takagi taking up knitting turns into a chance for some intimate handholding with Nishikata (and I love how he's genuinely impressed by her being able to knit), and while she makes the excuse that she was knitting something for a dog, I wonder if she was also gauging what Nishikata might want for his 15th birthday...
Old 2022-02-18, 14:15   Link #92
grecefar

Yukari is right, just look at them and is the same as if they were dating, all school think that they are dating, any guy would not even try to confess takagi because on the outside is obvious her feelings for him and even if there is a girl who fancy nishikata they would believe the same of him having feelings for takagi, so they are dating even without dating that is the kind of couple they are.

Takagi knows that he may have feelings for her, she knew how much bothered he was about the gift but I believe she doesn't confess for 1) she wants nishikata to do it 2) she is afraid that he just take it as a teasing since that how she rolls for him.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-18, 19:36   Link #93
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was hard to follow up last week's episode, but they did a good job.

Nishikata apparently hasn't realized going home with Takagi every day is not that different from hanging with her at school after it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Takagi taking up knitting turns into a chance for some intimate handholding with Nishikata (and I love how he's genuinely impressed by her being able to knit), and while she makes the excuse that she was knitting something for a dog, I wonder if she was also gauging what Nishikata might want for his 15th birthday...
Nah, she just wanted to see how he would react to the idea of her giving a present to another boy. She was obviously pleased with the result, and even revealed the deception pretty fast.
Old 2022-02-18, 20:14   Link #94
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Nothing new, but since Takagi-san is depicted as almost all-knowing of anything Nishikata does or think, she actually comes off as disturbing and always stalking him.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-18, 21:12   Link #95
HandofFate

died at the sound Nishikata made when holding the leash
Old 2022-02-18, 22:43   Link #96
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Nothing new, but since Takagi-san is depicted as almost all-knowing of anything Nishikata does or think, she actually comes off as disturbing and always stalking him.
Maybe. To me, it just seems like Nishikata's just that obvious. There's nothing disturbing about a girl who can tell that a guy who's fidgeting and panicking as he stumbles over his words is lying.
Old 2022-02-19, 00:35   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I find it less disturbing than a little unrealistic, even if Nishikata is as open as a book gets. She comes off like an alien sometimes (though less so as the series progresses, I find).
Old 2022-02-19, 01:20   Link #98
BWTraveller
Born to ship

For an alien as cute as that, I can suspend my disbelief as far as she wants.
Old 2022-02-19, 07:57   Link #99
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

She does feel like a mind-reader at times. She knows exactly what Nishikata thinks.
Old 2022-02-19, 10:18   Link #100
Frontier

I think it's probably a mix of Nishikata being easy to read and Takagi observing him constantly to know how he thinks/what he likes.