AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2016-07-10, 21:33   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Re:Zero - Character Discussion - Emilia

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Emilia related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Re:Zero fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 21:54   Link #2
-Hikaru-
(´・ω・`)

Going around social media and other forums, there are lots of misconception regarding Emilia lol.

Anime won't go past arc 3, and probably's not going to have another season. So more backstories about Emilia won't be revealed. Most people won't have a chance to know more about her. That's pretty sad.
-Hikaru- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 22:46   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hikaru- View Post

Anime won't go past arc 3, and probably's not going to have another season.
Why do you think it won't get another season? Re:Zero is doing well in preorder sales estimates (for Blu-Rays) last I checked. The anime itself will likely be a good commercial success.

Re:Zero is made by White Fox. White Fox is a fairly new anime studio, but they have shown a willingness to do sequels (two separate seasons of GochiUsa).

Just to keep this post on topic - I like Emilia's character design. Very elegant and stylish. She also came off very well in her first appearance in Episode 1.
Old 2016-07-11, 23:38   Link #4
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I like design for Emilia the most and as a character as well. If it turns out she's not the main girl, I'm dropping this like a hot potato.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 00:00   Link #5
Applehell

She is if you're worried about that, but the plot requires her to takeback seat here because the narrative follows Subaru.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 00:08   Link #6
Sixth
Hu Tao

I like Crusch more than Emilia.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 00:08   Link #7
Cerilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why do you think it won't get another season? Re:Zero is doing well in preorder sales estimates (for Blu-Rays) last I checked. The anime itself will likely be a good commercial success.
Re:zero has the same problem as OPM: The series catched-up with the commercial source material. The LN currently is at 9 novels which correspond to the end of Arc 3. Yes, the web source is already further away, but adapting rough material give no merit commercially.

I am sure this will get sequel, but not soon. Gotta wait a bit to let the LN content build up. I forecast it will come up in 3 years.

Quote:
Re:Zero is made by White Fox. White Fox is a fairly new anime studio, but they have shown a willingness to do sequels (two separate seasons of GochiUsa).
AFAIK, White Fox got no calls on deciding sequel. If anything, it shows the trust of the stakeholder to White Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
I like design for Emilia the most and as a character as well. If it turns out she's not the main girl, I'm dropping this like a hot potato.
I actually like what the author doing here. There is tendency to feature the main heroine most of the time in LNs, so letting her get back a bit here and let the story flow is nice.
Old 2016-07-12, 13:36   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Emilia is very dull with no development. This arc is very Rem focused just like the last arc, I dunno how they gonna squeeze in development for Emilia to make it where she's worth empathizing with.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 14:44   Link #9
Loran Cehack

We haven't seen much of her in the anime other than the "heroine" persona, so it's hard to feel any sympathy besides her design and what little she did in the series so far. Sure, she's a good person with a great sense of justice, but that is as generic as they go. Without any sort of background arc or something like that, she'll continue to be just "the heroine".
Old 2016-07-12, 15:32   Link #10
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Maybe I'm just weird, but I never required hours upon hours of exposure before I actually was able to care for a character. A lot of their worth can be inferred through their interactions with characters we do know and empathize with, for example.

Also, on the flipside, it's hard to call someone shallow if you've been exposed to them so little. In a show with so many characters, that'd be almost unfair.

I'd also hardly call this arc Rem-focused since it did nothing but reaffirm things about her that were already established. She has a strong sense of loyalty, which is pretty much her shtick. There's nothing else you can say about her, really.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 16:16   Link #11
Sayaka Rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hikaru- View Post
Going around social media and other forums, there are lots of misconception regarding Emilia lol.

Anime won't go past arc 3, and probably's not going to have another season. So more backstories about Emilia won't be revealed. Most people won't have a chance to know more about her. That's pretty sad.
Yes, so sad and so true.

But actually I appreciate Emilia already in these three arc a lot, she was already my favorite character before I know other things.; and if it isn't for her in arc 1, I wouldn't have approached this series.
So, well, hope that in a few years there will be a S2, meanwhile we can only read.

Besides, I don't like that someone (not here, on other sites) to cheer Rem should insult her.
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 16:28   Link #12
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Maybe I'm just weird, but I never required hours upon hours of exposure before I actually was able to care for a character. A lot of their worth can be inferred through their interactions with characters we do know and empathize with, for example.

Also, on the flipside, it's hard to call someone shallow if you've been exposed to them so little. In a show with so many characters, that'd be almost unfair.

I'd also hardly call this arc Rem-focused since it did nothing but reaffirm things about her that were already established. She has a strong sense of loyalty, which is pretty much her shtick. There's nothing else you can say about her, really.
I agree. It's rather short-sighted to call a character shallow due lack of screentime or fact they possess some common character traits. Outside of being more fleshed out it's not as if Rem is unique in that regard either and I still like her a lot regardless. In fact if one hasn't noticed Rem (and Ram to lesser extent) are the only characters we know everyting about besides Subaru himself (also to a somewhat lesser degree) simply because she is the only one Subaru has won over completely. For everyone else's Subaru is still viewed either a friend, co-worker or aquntiance even if he's closer to them then they are to him due to loops.

Emilia has demostrate a decent amount of characterization even if we haven't gotten in depth with her, but those are spread throughout the episodes. And think it's pretty obivious you will learn more about her like with Rem when the that time comes as it is not as if this is the end of story. Same for every character honestly.

I also don't know what being just "heroine" is supposed to mean since last I check it just position not personality trait. Heronines in anime are extremely varied to begin (hotheaded, dizzy, kuuderes, yanderes etc) there no such thing as a generic template their all adhere too.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-13 at 10:33.
Old 2016-07-12, 21:45   Link #13
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
She is if you're worried about that, but the plot requires her to takeback seat here because the narrative follows Subaru.
Thanks. In a way it looks like he wanted to please the fanboys and go for hafu hafu or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerilla View Post
I actually like what the author doing here. There is tendency to feature the main heroine most of the time in LNs, so letting her get back a bit here and let the story flow is nice.
That would make the character more like supporting than main. (When I watch dramas and this happens, I start to wonder what is the main dish and what is the side dish.) But that is only because I'm getting a little bored with the death gimmicks and sadistic torturing on main boy Subaru. I realized the great world building outside of the loops I wanted to see isn't all that great after all.
Old 2016-07-15, 01:48   Link #14
Cerilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Thanks. In a way it looks like he wanted to please the fanboys and go for hafu hafu or something.

That would make the character more like supporting than main. (When I watch dramas and this happens, I start to wonder what is the main dish and what is the side dish.) But that is only because I'm getting a little bored with the death gimmicks and sadistic torturing on main boy Subaru. I realized the great world building outside of the loops I wanted to see isn't all that great after all.
Many people spoke the same concern like you. When Tappei is asked why is Rem far more popular than Emilia, his answer is pretty much "there road are still long, there are plenty of time for Emilia to become Heroine. Deal with it". What a cheeky guy.

Tappei is obviously playing a long game with Emilia, which unfortunately won't be covered in the anime.

Last edited by Cerilla; 2016-07-15 at 01:59.
Cerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 10:40   Link #15
Applehell

Quote:
Many people spoke the same concern like you. When Tappei is asked why is Rem far more popular than Emilia, his answer is pretty much "there road are still long, there are plenty of time for Emilia to become Heroine. Deal with it". What a cheeky guy.

Tappei is obviously playing a long game with Emilia, which unfortunately won't be covered in the anime.
The author said in a Q/A that he has everything to ending planned out and at the point the WN is at (arc 6) the story currently halfway. That is definitely a good sign of somebody who is control of his plot and everything in it. I think Rem's presence is being overselled a bit. It's not unusual for secondary characters get in limelight for while depending on the circumstances, and her popluarity is unlikely effect the course of the plot. At the end of day she just happened to be fleshed a little earlier then everyone else because her past has the least connection to overall narrative which makes her easier to talk about.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-16 at 10:57.
Old 2016-07-17, 20:44   Link #16
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
The author said in a Q/A that he has everything to ending planned out and at the point the WN is at (arc 6) the story currently halfway. That is definitely a good sign of somebody who is control of his plot and everything in it. I think Rem's presence is being overselled a bit. It's not unusual for secondary characters get in limelight for while depending on the circumstances, and her popluarity is unlikely effect the course of the plot. At the end of day she just happened to be fleshed a little earlier then everyone else because her past has the least connection to overall narrative which makes her easier to talk about.
That still means that he needs to do quite a lot to make Emilia likeable for a lot of people.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 21:56   Link #17
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:

I watch the anime for Subaru and Emilia so I'll deal and drop it. This type of fading in and out isn't for me.
Old 2016-07-18, 02:42   Link #18
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
That still means that he needs to do quite a lot to make Emilia likeable for a lot of people.
Not really, because she pretty likable as it is, even some other characters might be more likable. We just need to get to her character arc to learn more about her. That said, if one insist on disliking Emilia than her development won't matter to them anyway. You can't reason with that.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-18 at 03:29.
Old 2016-07-18, 03:52   Link #19
Sayaka Rei

Quote:
Yes, perhaps we're not that far away from the beginning of it, in my opinion. This part of the series (arc 3) perhaps serves as a basis for the setting of world, the development of her and the relationship with Subaru. A second season would help ? I think yes. So let's keep our fingers crossed.
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 08:47   Link #20
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Speculah as an anime-only viewer:

Spoiler:
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters