AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2020-11-21, 11:14   Link #21
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yes, but comparing within UFOtable Heaven's Feel trilogy is better even if you take away story and consider only directing, atmosphere, cinematography etc.

Kimetsu is highest grossing film in Japan ever...which is nuts. It beats even Makoto Shinkai or Ghibli stuff. And beyond animated works, it beats live action.....which almost never happens outside otaku audiences.
Old 2020-11-22, 14:43   Link #22
WingedAccelerator

Let's not forget that this is a canon arc in the manga that begins where the first season left off.

I'm sick and tired of those throwaway, cashgrab fanservice movies of WSJ titles that serve no value whatsoever on the grand scheme of things. Almost all of them are perfectly skippable.

You can't do that with this one, and chances say it will be an unforgettable experience.

Wonder if MAPPA plans on making Hidden Inventory as a movie for Jujutsu Kaisen. It won't be Kimetsu level of big, but the formula is the same, even though it's a flashback arc.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 19:07   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've said before that Kimetsu no Yaiba's massive popularity is a completely mystery to me and this movie (which I admittedly haven't seen) breaking records after records puzzles me even more. What does this series have that all the shounen that came before it didn't? It's a good manga, but I didn't notice anything groundbreaking.
Old 2020-11-22, 19:22   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've said before that Kimetsu no Yaiba's massive popularity is a completely mystery to me and this movie (which I admittedly haven't seen) breaking records after records puzzles me even more. What does this series have that all the shounen that came before it didn't? It's a good manga, but I didn't notice anything groundbreaking.
Well, if you figure it out let me know because I've been trying to figure that out for the past year.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 22:08   Link #25
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Well the next arc, the red light district one is pretty good.....probably the best in the entire series. And the main characters and a few others are quite likeable......But beyond that....Screw it, I don't know either lol

Some fans tell me it's because of female fan power but then again, which Jump title doesn't have that? They did say that due to corona though, it also means Kimetsu has virtually no competitors in cinema during its airing.....+ Kimetsu already being insanely popular. Might be that.
Old 2020-11-22, 23:19   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kimetsu was insanely popular before Corona. Maybe the lack of competition helps explain the movie's dominance but it doesn't explain why it became the biggest short-duration hit in animanga history, which is the true mystery.
Old 2020-11-23, 02:57   Link #27
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Actual stakes, tension with JoJo-long boss fights. Something One Piece, Hero Academia, Black Clover etc. lacks, unless readers pretend that they are totally there.

You can't overthink Kimetsu with idiotic theory crafting, and that's a blessing. It's a simple, fight-oriented work that didn't overstay its welcome with a clear, easy to follow goal where you can feel progress. The rivals did so piss-poorly at the basics the past couple of years that it managed to make history by nailing the essentials and being aesthetically pleasing with the setting and characters.

It also helps that it's a fully Japanese world, basically from 100 years ago. You could say that it's a representative of their culture as well.
Old 2020-11-24, 17:38   Link #28
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The magic is ep.19 if my memory is right.
That is when the hype truly exploded into a phenomenal scale.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 17:55   Link #29
SolidN7

Quote:
Well in the final the arc where Tanjiro and company fight the upper moons (with the exception of the muzan fight, which is very bad and rushed)is very very very "good".

But idk why is so popular lol.
SolidN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 19:02   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

There's no denying the manga is good, but the reasons listed above would usually only make it a hit on the level of, say, Naruto. There has to be a combination of factors that led to this insane popularity, the anime adaptation of course being one.
Old 2020-11-24, 19:33   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
There's no denying the manga is good, but the reasons listed above would usually only make it a hit on the level of, say, Naruto. There has to be a combination of factors that led to this insane popularity, the anime adaptation of course being one.
I would even go so far as to say the above explanations add up to a hit substantially lesser than Naruto (which was, historically, a pretty huge hit). More like, say, AssClass or World Trigger.
Old 2020-11-24, 21:38   Link #32
MCAL

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-japan/.166609

While we're on the topic of popularity, it's now the third most popular movie of all time in Japan. Obviously, it will surpass Titanic pretty soon and unless something really drastic happens with the next few weeks it will surpass Spirited Away too.

Last edited by MCAL; 2020-11-24 at 22:10.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 23:13   Link #33
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
The magic is ep.19 if my memory is right.
That is when the hype truly exploded into a phenomenal scale.
What arc was that again? The one with Rui?

Or you mean vol 19, ala the fight against Muzan? Coz that arc sucked. Like the worst arc in the entire series when everything in the beginning and middle was pretty solid. Only saving grace was Akaza's sub-arc. Easily among the top 3 or 2 plotlines in the whole story
Old 2020-11-25, 03:10   Link #34
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
barely any "true" shounen-style power-ups (at least, as far as I've read in the manga)
They already had one (though plausible) in the anime, and I know of at least one or two more from the manga.

Quote:
ufoTable animation with a story that kids love. Basically, imagine if we had Naruto with ufoTable style animation.

But the key is KIDS LOVE IT. Don't underestimate the power of kids loving a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
What arc was that again? The one with Rui?
Episode 19 was the debut of Tanjiro using the Fire Dance and Nezuko using her Blood Arte.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-25, 03:25   Link #35
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
I think there's another factor that I've overlooked for a looooooong time, that used to be joked about, but I think may be why the manga, at least, blew up:

Never underestimate the power of the fangirls.

Seriously, Kimetsu no Yaiba does the best of both worlds: sure, it gets rid of the fanservice that draws boys in (and turns off many girls in the process), but in replacement, you get multiple guys that probably DO appeal to female readers. That probably bumps it up more than the other thing: sure, guys like their fanservice, but the action and fight sequences are (mostly) right up shounen's alley... and on top of all that, the most recently popular manga all share another common factor: lots of blood and gore, almost to seinen levels (The ones of which I'm speaking: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Chainsawman, and Jujutsu Kaisen... all three heavier than normal shounen on the blood. Apparently that's appealing now.)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-25, 04:34   Link #36
GDB

I'd need to see some sales data for manga volumes and merchandise before and after the anime before claiming the manga "blew up".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-25, 05:24   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Never underestimate the power of the fangirls.
That reminds me, Gundam SEED also blew up in popularity in early 00s partly due to the fangirls too, right? SEED became one of the franchise's biggest hit series after UC and rejuvenated the mech genre for the decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'd need to see some sales data for manga volumes and merchandise before and after the anime before claiming the manga "blew up".
I also need some numbers or charts showing that kids love KnY like you said before. I'm genuinely curious just how many kids love it and how much they love it.
Old 2020-11-25, 06:14   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Old 2020-11-25, 06:22   Link #39
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I don't follow all the numbers generated, but I'm assuming 5,000,000 copies over ~1.5, 2 years is a sign of a series doing well in Shounen Jump, right?

Meanwhile, the anime did exactly what anime is supposed to do: further boost the source (in this case, manga) material.

Oh, and I understand it's Episode 19 of the anime where the lid was blown off, so to speak.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-25, 09:24   Link #40
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I also need some numbers or charts showing that kids love KnY like you said before. I'm genuinely curious just how many kids love it and how much they love it.
The first volume that came after the debut of the anime is Volume 16.
Before that, it dropped from the Oricon Weekly Top 50 with sales between 150-200k, which still grew in the background, so let's say that it sold around 250k per volume before the anime, which is respectable, but not a gigantic hit. I'm not shitting on Black Clover, but 250k was its peak with anime to boot, so you have an idea that pre-anime Kimetsu was not too shabby.
Volume 16 made that Oricon dropout number to 357k-404k, but Volume 17 afterwards gained gargantuan momentum and went past 1 million copies by the time of November 25th - December 1st.

Episode 19 aired on August 10th, two months before the release of Volume 17. It's undeniable that it helped in raking new fans, but the manga also gained a fair share of backlog before that too. But if you want to find a point that seems like the core of the boost, it's really is an easy guess.