AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-25, 04:26   Link #1001
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Meteor City, eh? I'm pretty sure there are continuity problems involved in mentioning it so early.
This...was a very weird anime addition. It's a piece of information about Canary completely absent in the manga, and there was no need to bring it up now. I'm curious to see how/if the anime will keep up to it.
Here isn't the best place to discuss the implications though.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:31   Link #1002
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm pretty sure mentioning Meteor City now has no real impact on the narrative or continuity.

It seems the anime is starting to take more and more liberties with it though. So far that hasn't been a bad thing though. If the 'filler' comes in small bits and pieces like this and remains like this, I wouldn't mind.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:38   Link #1003
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
This...was a very weird anime addition. It's a piece of information about Canary completely absent in the manga, and there was no need to bring it up now. I'm curious to see how/if the anime will keep up to it.
Here isn't the best place to discuss the implications though.
Though absent from the manga, a character book published in 2001 revealed that both Canary and Gotoh are from Meteor City. It's possible that many of the Zoldyck Butlers are from there.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 12:10   Link #1004
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That WOULD explain Canary's ludicrous strength.
Old 2012-03-25, 14:34   Link #1005
ookamigirl

The butler apprentice girl Canary was pretty impressive.
She wasn't all crazy like his family, but is more like Gon.
No wonder Killua wanted to be friends with her.
Guess Killua is just like his dad ^^ who seems to be the only kinda "normal" member of that family, except maybe for his grandpa.
I'm glad he managed to get free of his family, at least for a while.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 05:10   Link #1006
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You got it backwards. The entire family including Killua himself is abnormal.

Silva may be "nice" to his son, but his expectations of Killua are no different from those of the rest of the family.
Old 2012-03-26, 13:42   Link #1007
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Let's talk about some important things in this episode.

It begins with a flashback. Young Killua meets Canary and tries to befriend her. It's clear that she wants to do so, but she has to decline at the imposition of her employer. Kikyo is from Meteor City too--it's something that hasn't been revealed in the manga, but was written in the guidebook.

So the reason why Canary slipped last episode should make a bit more sense. She wasn't just touched by Gon's determination, but he represented something that she cannot be: friends with Killua. Even if she wants to, it's one of the most taboo things in the Zoldyck household. Because of the nature of her job and their own. Canary didn't cry out of sadness--she cried because she was touched. Touched that someone would love Killua enough to break him free from this perverted family. To try and make a change through force if he had to.

I really liked how abruptly the flashback ended, with Killua remembering Gon's face (asking to be friends). It implies that it's the only thing keeping him going. This is what he wants most in life and he's being deprived of it.

Now that you've met most of the Zoldyck family, it should be clear just how twisted they are. Killua described himself as a bit of a liar; he must get it from his mother. Kikyo lies all of the time in this episode in order to protect what she wants. But despite how strange they are, there's something unexpected holding them together: love. A strange, distorted love.

Despite Killua being flogged and tortured for weeks, he doesn't think any less of his family for having done it. In fact, he lets it go. He's had his body violated for so long and he thinks that there's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely sad, but that IS what's considered to be "normal" in his own household. Milluki might have perpetrated this, but he still has good things to say about Killua. It's...something else. Killua was lying to Gon when he said that his ultimate goal is to "capture his family." He actually really cares for them. But he wants to live his life without being oppressed.

Killua's conversation with his father Silva is the highlight of the episode and the most important part of it. The two make an oath in blood: Killua will never betray his friends. Given how badly that Killua wants this, start to pay attention to the lengths Killua will go to keep that promise. We've already seen one way: Killua threatened to kill his own brother if he harmed them.

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2012-03-26 at 14:21.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:08   Link #1008
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

No comparisons this time? Not that the highlights aren't nice.
Old 2012-03-26, 20:47   Link #1009
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Killua's dad seemed surprisingly reasonable, but then there was that ending as well. It can't be this easy that they just meet so soon. Like how his mom couldn't even touch him when he got serious. Killua's grandpa seems to spoil him, though that may be just because his potential. I'm surprising we haven't seen Illumi yet, unless he went out on his next assignment.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:19   Link #1010
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think Illumi went on that assigment that he needed the Hunter License for.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:35   Link #1011
salitangibinasura
n00b101

First I thought... The pacing is waaaay too fast.
But then as I wastched every episode, I'm like.. Well this isn't that bad.

The only thing I like about the original though is that it focused on the character development better.
salitangibinasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 16:33   Link #1012
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Now that you've met most of the Zoldyck family, it should be clear just how twisted they are. Killua described himself as a bit of a liar; he must get it from his mother. Kikyo lies all of the time in this episode in order to protect what she wants. But despite how strange they are, there's something unexpected holding them together: love. A strange, distorted love.

Despite Killua being flogged and tortured for weeks, he doesn't think any less of his family for having done it. In fact, he lets it go. He's had his body violated for so long and he thinks that there's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely sad, but that IS what's considered to be "normal" in his own household. Milluki might have perpetrated this, but he still has good things to say about Killua.
I'm not sure how significant that is. Killua's potential is obviously a matter of consensus within the family, so Milluki may just be brown nosing. It doesn't mean they're not brothers, but, you know, just saying.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 01:41   Link #1013
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
To people watching the blu-rays...is there anything different?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 02:22   Link #1014
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Aww. I only gimps in here for old series vs. new comparison. Very disappointed >_>
Old 2012-04-01, 01:36   Link #1015
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Amazing how much I missed Killua, even though I didn't really think much about it. The tone of the episode is so much happier when he and Gon are reunited, even when they're dealing with deadly serious stuff.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 06:16   Link #1016
rinichan

anyway I'm excited about the new arc although I already watch that... Its next week right???
Spoiler:

those 15 or 2 people I dont get what their post about.... yes their feelings are important but when you post something to prove anything it should have evidence not full of bad mouth things... Thats why its tiresome to read those kind of comments,,, comments that dont have any references to prove their point....

Last edited by rinichan; 2012-04-01 at 07:03.
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 07:59   Link #1017
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

great episode. the butlers are so militant in this version. it only dawns on me now that most abilities in hxh are based off of a real-world game or trick, haha.

the animation in this episode was so good. i felt like i was watching a ghibli movie. this anime is the exact same experience as reading the manga is--it's uncanny. i love it. and the dialogue in this series is even better. gon and killua together is a dynamite combination. they talk like they're so much older than they actually are, lol.
Old 2012-04-01, 08:21   Link #1018
Kirarakim

My two boys Gon & Killua are back together. All is right with the world.
Old 2012-04-01, 08:55   Link #1019
ookamigirl

Killua's mom sure is a drama queen throwing a fit like that.
The main butler was a pretty scary guy.
His little game was very serious though.
Finally, Killua managed to find them first ^^
It was nice watching them together again!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 13:14   Link #1020
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
it only dawns on me now that most abilities in hxh are based off of a real-world game or trick, haha.
^I'd love to talk more about this bit, but I think it's better to wait until the next arc is over.

Tags
action, shounen